Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, wierd. Isn't for me. And I switched to gestures and it was there and back and it was gone. Doesn't seem launcher-linked either, experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smoobles posted:

Would any of you guys with the OnePlus 7 recommend it? How does it compare with a Pixel 3 spec wise?

There probably aren't many if any in these forums since it wasn't released in North America.

Spec wise it exceeds the Pixel 3 in every way except camera and the fact that it lacks wireless charging. The upcoming 7T may be worth the premium over the 7 if the price difference isn't too bad since they are rumored to be adding the 90hz screen to the 7T.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Huh, wierd. Isn't for me. And I switched to gestures and it was there and back and it was gone. Doesn't seem launcher-linked either, experimenting.

Weird.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Internet Explorer posted:

As much as I love rapid charging and USB-C is more durable than previous USB-B solutions, after 2 years the port on my Pixel 2 XL is starting to go and I am really looking forward to a phone with wireless charging again to avoid this mess.

I seriously recommend getting a Mag-Cable from Amazon, they come with a tip that slides into (and protects!) your Usb(C) port. Mine doesn't interfere with wireless charging either so I can use cables in the wild and charge at home without repeatedly jamming the port.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's funny is I've had Clear All come and go on both my P3 and my Tab S5e (which is OneUI so a ton of stuff is different).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tetrabor posted:

I seriously recommend getting a Mag-Cable from Amazon, they come with a tip that slides into (and protects!) your Usb(C) port. Mine doesn't interfere with wireless charging either so I can use cables in the wild and charge at home without repeatedly jamming the port.

That's actually pretty cool. I had no idea such a thing existed. I'm not sure if I could get used to the little bump sticking out of the bottom of the phone, but I may have to give it a shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that while I'm not saying you are going to run into issues, there's no USB-IF spec for a connector like this so I really wouldn't try to use it with a USB-PD charger, I would stick to something that's basically delivery in the 15w max range.

Remember, the reason why the nintendo switch shorted out on 3rd party docks was slight misalignment of a few pins due to the USB-C connector in the dock being ever so slightly smaller to make it easy to slide in and out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

This is what mine looks like, but also there's no reason to clear all your cards so nbd if you don't have it, let those bad boys pile up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what's worse than a camera hump? A camera hump with a giant rear end logo.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/05/motorola-one-zoom-packs-quad-cameras-arrives-today-for-450/

And good job with the branding Moto. Motorola One Zoom is not a member of the Android One program.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 5, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

You know what's worse than a camera hump? A camera hump with a giant rear end logo.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/05/motorola-one-zoom-packs-quad-cameras-arrives-today-for-450/

And good job with the branding Moto. Motorola One Zoom is not a member of the Android One program.

gently caress me that is offensive and I'm not picky about these things.

Also it's Nova Launcher that isn't showing the Clear All button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

gently caress me that is offensive and I'm not picky about these things.

Apparently it glows as a giant notification led.

I can't decide if that makes it better or worse.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

This is what mine looks like, but also there's no reason to clear all your cards so nbd if you don't have it, let those bad boys pile up

Uh excuse me, my OCD is good enough reason, thank you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If I switch to 2-button nav under a third party launcher I see clear all, the 3 button nav under a third party launcher I don't.

Oh but it's there with three-button in Pixel launcher. So it only vanishes with three-button nav on a third party launcher?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh excuse me, my OCD is good enough reason, thank you.

I actually do swipe away a couple apps, like Awful, that remember your place, when I'd rather start fresh each time I open them. So even I can't be the purist I wish I was -___-

edit: which reminded me, this is the best part of Android 10 lol
༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MikeJF posted:

If I switch to 2-button nav under a third party launcher I see clear all, the 3 button nav under a third party launcher I don't.

Oh but it's there with three-button in Pixel launcher. So it only vanishes with three-button nav on a third party launcher?

Correct. I've had 2 crashes where the phone has restarted for no apparent reason. Fun times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

edit: which reminded me, this is the best part of Android 10 lol
༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I never knew. (༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bull3964 posted:

There probably aren't many if any in these forums since it wasn't released in North America.

Spec wise it exceeds the Pixel 3 in every way except camera and the fact that it lacks wireless charging. The upcoming 7T may be worth the premium over the 7 if the price difference isn't too bad since they are rumored to be adding the 90hz screen to the 7T.

My wife got the 7 Pro from TMobile. Very happy with it. Fingerprint reader is much improved over the kinda lovely and slow 6T I have, but neither of us want to upgrade when the 7T comes out. she already has a 90hz screen, and I'm pretty happy with my performance even now still feels good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

I never knew. (༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - (༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I had no idea. Is this racist? Lol 乁║ ˙ 益 ˙ ║ㄏ

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

vyst posted:

I had no idea. Is this racist? Lol 乁║ ˙ 益 ˙ ║ㄏ

Only against Spider-Man

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wasabi the J posted:

My wife got the 7 Pro from TMobile. Very happy with it. Fingerprint reader is much improved over the kinda lovely and slow 6T I have, but neither of us want to upgrade when the 7T comes out. she already has a 90hz screen, and I'm pretty happy with my performance even now still feels good.

Yeah, the 7 Pro, but it was the 7 non-pro that was asked about. It's basically a 6T with a SD855 and UFS3.0. storage.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wait what ⊙.☉

How was this not all over the Android Beta subreddit?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
That's part of regular GBoard, I have to open up the emoji board before I can switch to emotes but it's there on my phone without Android 10.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

isndl posted:

That's part of regular GBoard, I have to open up the emoji board before I can switch to emotes but it's there on my phone without Android 10.

Aw booo, pretty sure I read those arrived with the new emoji that 10 brought. I definitely hadn't seen it before.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

Aw booo, pretty sure I read those arrived with the new emoji that 10 brought. I definitely hadn't seen it before.

🤏

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
For all those missing hardware keyboards: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Actually doesn't look half bad :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

If I could get one in portrait mode ala blackberry I'd probably give it a try

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

obligatory "don't sign your posts" :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chikimiki posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the shot showing off two apps running at the same time but the apps in question are two badly cropped screenshots of websites instead of apps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Trip report so far with Android 10 on P3XL:

Global dark mode - win
RAM Management - still meh
Battery life - utter poo poo so far
Performance - seems better, especially in app switching
Timely broken - sads (won't take over lock screen)
Stability - A couple of spontaneous reboots, but those were with games, so not surprised with a big change like that

I may take this weekend to wipe and start fresh, even though I dread it, but sometimes that's the best solution when going up a full rev.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Man I hate that clipboard sync is gone. Also, I don't like how much harder it is to swipe away notifications. Like, they really fight back now!

mystes
May 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Man I hate that clipboard sync is gone. Also, I don't like how much harder it is to swipe away notifications. Like, they really fight back now!
I haven't used 10 yet but didn't Google decide that nobody actually cleared notifications so now you're just supposed to ignore them and they'll stop showing up or something? Or did they not actually go that far in 10?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK I finally just got 10 on my Pixel 3 this morning. Dark Theme enabled in System settings. Google Calendar, Drive, and Photos are all dark but Gmail and Maps insists on still being white. Don't see a setting for it. The app did just update after I got 10 installed... What gives? :(

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 6, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sab669 posted:

OK I finally just got 10 on my Pixel 3 this morning. Dark Theme enabled in System settings. Google Calendar, Drive, and Photos are all dark but Gmail and Maps insists on still being white. Don't see a setting for it. The app did just update after I got 10 installed... What gives? :(

Not all apps (even Google's) have dark modes yet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:argh: I saw a bunch of articles showing it off so I assumed they 'officially' had it now that they just updated.

Also Textra now does this annoying thing where every time I open the app, it closes out of my most recent conversation and returns me to the 'main' list of conversations :/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sab669 posted:

:argh: I saw a bunch of articles showing it off so I assumed they 'officially' had it now that they just updated.

Also Textra now does this annoying thing where every time I open the app, it closes out of my most recent conversation and returns me to the 'main' list of conversations :/

I'd prefer that over Messages, where if I search for a message and leave, I have to back up through 4 screens to get back to the main message list (searched message, search results, search bar, then main list).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Finally got 10 on my P3. Ok, Google, just copy OnePlus's gesture nav. You are so close, 99% of it is the same at this point in time except for your stupid overloading of edge swipes. Just switch it to swiping up left and right of center from the bottom and it will be fine.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Got Android 10 last night, Google must be ramping up the rollout.
How do you get the Easter Egg? I know you go to Android Version under About Phone, then tap Android Version a few times to get the large 'android' '1' and '0'. After that though, you're supposed to make the 10 into a Q but I can't get the 1 to rotate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

I haven't used 10 yet but didn't Google decide that nobody actually cleared notifications so now you're just supposed to ignore them and they'll stop showing up or something? Or did they not actually go that far in 10?

Their strategy is the silent vs. loud notifications (a new distinction in 10) and notification channels for blocking those you don't need. It does still suggest you block channels you often fail to act on but that doesn't necessarily mean a user doesn't want that notification. As an example, I might not always act when I get a notification the garage door was left open but I'll always want to know.

The thing is that now it's just hard to swipe stuff away. Not just silent ones, but any of them. In the betas they had dicked around with the swipe action, trying at one point to make you only slide one direction and I suspect in doing so changed the amount of swipe it takes to dismiss. It's annoying after so many years of it being the same.

bull3964 posted:

Finally got 10 on my P3. Ok, Google, just copy OnePlus's gesture nav. You are so close, 99% of it is the same at this point in time except for your stupid overloading of edge swipes. Just switch it to swiping up left and right of center from the bottom and it will be fine.

Considering Google is moving their method into the CTS it's going to OP's method that will be going away.