Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Emma not telling the promise to even Ray definitely makes me suspect the reward is something Ray and the others will absolutely hate.

Also, I wanna say that I appreciate how it gave us a moment of Gilda processing how ruthless Norman has become and how it affected her. A weaker writer would have ignored her perspective and would have had everyone hurrying along with whatever they needed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Radish posted:

They are really dancing around this promise.

This is particularly annoying to me cause a webcomic I've been reading for...too long...is at the end and is stretching it out for an absurd amount of time too and it looks like they might take the pay-off away from it so...the webcomic sorta sucks anyway but sunk cost fallacy is a bitch.

I think the reward will involve Emma staying, possibly as a new cursed blood, I get the feeling that Musica was the result of a past promise as well, especially makes sense given she pointed them toward the 7 walls and such.

Or the reward is Phil.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Shoulda just wished all the demons were human or didn’t need to eat humans to be intelligent anymore and just disrupt the whole reason for farming humans.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Add me to the "hidden promise is lame" pile. Emma gets to wish with what she already knows to be a monkeys paw, I can't see how this doesn't end with disappointment.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Shoulda just wished all the humans were demons imo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
*looks at 2019* would probably be an improvement

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean the promise is obviously relating to Emma sacrificing herself or her freedom in such a way where she is not going to tell anyone because she doesn't want them to worry about her.

Theories aside.

I'm fine with Keeping the promise a secret if the author thinks it's nessecary for the best of the story.

Will it be I dunno, but I will give the author the benefit of the doubt

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I had to toss a guess out, I'd say keeping Emma from having to fulfill her crappy new promise is going to be Norman's big redemption move

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
We're barreling towards the climax here and I'm not ready to let this series go, it's managed to surprise me with each new chapter. Like Sung-Joo actually going very easy on the hit squad and them even helping the Lamba kids at the end.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
sounds like TPN is ending soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
oh no, not mysterious blood coughing disease

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

oh no, not mysterious blood coughing disease

Norman's desperation makes more sense now, if he's desperate to resolve things before he dies. Question is, of what?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Norman's desperation makes more sense now, if he's desperate to resolve things before he dies. Question is, of what?

Because he was experimented on like all the other Lambda kids.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dexo posted:

sounds like TPN is ending soon.

I'm both sad and glad. It's been a really good story and I hate to see it go, but at the same time it does feel like we're heading towards a climax and you hate to see a story unnecessarily dragged out.

Already looking forward to the author next story, they have a LOT of talent and I'm excited to see what they do in the future.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Because he was experimented on like all the other Lambda kids.

Well, yeah, but I'm curious if they get any more specific about it. Is it JUST an Incurable Cough Of Doom?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

TheHan posted:

I'm starting to think that Norman didn't bust out before the Lambda Farm experiments messed with him, and his "growth spurt" is the same thing that makes all the other lambda kids freakishly tall.

Haha, nailed it. Let the good boy Norman live :(

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, yeah, but I'm curious if they get any more specific about it. Is it JUST an Incurable Cough Of Doom?

I think it's more like they did things that the human body just isn't meant to do, and they're breaking down. He had a seizure like everyone else gets right before the cough.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
well, poo poo.
:smith:

edit: grasping your head, falling to your knees, and coughing while breathing heavily aren't really classic signs of a seizure though.

Hell while I'm at it given that they need pills to continue to function, and the effect is as almost as immediate as oral medication can be, I've got half a mind they were given like a nano demon Gray Death or something. Like some sort of experiment failure failsafe.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 3, 2019

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm guessing all the lamda kids are part demon and the medicine they take is human brains.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So they could possibly be cured by Musica.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont think lambda kids were at all intended to live that long. You have the Adams who are modified for sheer mass like a caged broiler chicken, and the various 'higher grade' kids who are just stronger and faster even if they look normal. Theyre prrtty much GMO goods for Demons.

And Remember that demons take the traits of what they eat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New chapter https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/147/page/1

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aside from the whole "human eating monster" thing it's really hard not to side with Giran here

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. Surprisingly unambiguous backstory.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Catching up and wow, the detail of Giran's folks raiding those trains and impersonating family members... drat. I should have seen it coming but I was totally surprised by that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Catching up and wow, the detail of Giran's folks raiding those trains and impersonating family members... drat. I should have seen it coming but I was totally surprised by that.

I’m just not going to question how mutated outcasts were able to perfectly disguise as close family members

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RatHat posted:

I’m just not going to question how mutated outcasts were able to perfectly disguise as close family members

They ate them and took their masks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://readms.net/r/neverland/147/6129/1?mobile=1

New Chapter.
drat they did Gillan dirty

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I suppose it just goes to show how badly Emma and friends damaged the demon nobility with Goldy Pond.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/148/page/1

New one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hell of a chapter but i'll have to read the official release to make sense of lots of it i think

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/149/page/1

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The queen when Giran threatens to kill the demon nobles: "Oh, well i can always appoint new replacements later."
The queen when Giran threatens to kil Iverk: "Oh poo poo, if Iverks dies I have to do all the bureaucracy and administration myself"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

golden bubble posted:

The queen when Giran threatens to kill the demon nobles: "Oh, well i can always appoint new replacements later."
The queen when Giran threatens to kil Iverk: "Oh poo poo, if Iverks dies I have to do all the bureaucracy and administration myself"

Very realistic

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/the-promised-neverland/en/0/150/page/1

I think Norman has underestimated the Queen.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

These past few chapters have been Posuka just wanting to draw a bunch of rad demon fights and tbh I'm here for it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Queen is terrible, but she was also right on the money with Geelan/Giran; his cause lost a whole lot of its righteousness over the years, which is a shame because he clearly used to be... Well, about as good as a demon who ate humans could be. Heck, if he had lasted as a noble until Mujika showed up the first time, he might have supported her movement. Oh well; I suppose he had to be taken off the board one way or another before the end.

I'm surprised that Zazie is being presented ad more of a threat to the Queen than the Geelan clan, though, after how absurd she was just established to be. He's been shown to be pretty strong, sure, but the Queen just instantly diced Geelan.

Which, tangent, also raises questions about how the demon world will fare even if Emma's plan works; she seems like a nigh-unstoppable tyrant, and her being left alive after all the humans are vanished... I could see her, instead of accepting she's beaten, offing Mujika (which no one can really stop her from doing if she wants unless Mujika's location remains secret) and trying to rule over the progressively-degenerating population, which would be a rather depressing ending. Though she might die before that, since Norman feels more like the "final boss" (metaphorically) still, so she can't overshadow him if he's meant to be Emma's final challenge.

We'll see, I suppose. This definitely didn't go quite how I expected., at least.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The monarchy is clearly pretty rotten so I imagine they're on the chopping block. Question is who else dies.

I'm guessing the Norman squaddies probably bite it, despite Norman being insistent in his strategy that none of them should or need to die.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The monarchy is clearly pretty rotten so I imagine they're on the chopping block. Question is who else dies.

I'm guessing the Norman squaddies probably bite it, despite Norman being insistent in his strategy that none of them should or need to die.

He's already lied to one faction, lying to another and then going down in a blaze of poison gas on an entire capital feels like something he'd also do. I don't think he went into this plan without everyone in the capital dying, himself and his squad included.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Plus, we know that the Lambda experiments are already dying; they mostly seem concerned with not dying before they win, but to have accepted that their time is short.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really hope this scene gets animated someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really hope this scene gets animated someday.

literally my first thought at seeing the cubes was every high quality animation that just breaks everything into a million cubes