Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

namesake posted:

Would it actually be prison though? He might be bound by law to do something but that doesn't exactly mean that he's going to be arrested and sentenced on the spot for not doing it. It'd just compound the constitutional issues that have been woken up and make his dictorial desires more obvious while hopefully parliament still has the authority to do something about it.

Anyway

nsf001
smashthestate

Jeremy Corbyn Denton at PMQs: "What a shame."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

I actually started replaying deus ex recently and it's such a good goddamn game, especially for how old it is. I really want just a small gameplay update to it to bring it a little more in line with a proper FPS but keep all the other poo poo the same. Especially the dialogue, that can never be improved upon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ovepm/status/1169881852494020609?s=21

Unsurprising, but still pretty wild.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is bloodstock like a music festival for carnivores or something?

E: I also just realised that only really works if you're actually northern cos it doesn't rhyme otherwise.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, number one. That's terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Bloodstock is just Khorne Woodstock.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

E: I also just realised that only really works if you're actually northern cos it doesn't rhyme otherwise.

pretty sure it's a metal festival that takes place in the midlands

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oh poo poo they've got him on the ropes now

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1169928730652733440

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I actually started replaying deus ex recently and it's such a good goddamn game, especially for how old it is. I really want just a small gameplay update to it to bring it a little more in line with a proper FPS but keep all the other poo poo the same. Especially the dialogue, that can never be improved upon.

The FPS mechanics don't matter as the only correct solutions to all problems in Deus Ex are the prod and the GEP gun.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

This is desperate stuff. If this poo poo is all they have then BoJo may as well just Bud Dwyer himself right now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
[e]: :lol: Beaten again.

"Look how well we meme'd fellow kids."
https://twitter.com/PonderfulUK/status/1169938327191138308

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/1169940341182685188

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Josef bugman posted:

He can't be PM in jail.
i think he probably can be, as long as it's for less than a year

quote:

Under the Representation of the People Act 1981, you are disqualified from becoming a member of the House of Commons if you have been found guilty of an offence and sentenced to more than one year in prison, and are currently detained as a result of that offence.
that said, i think being jailed would - unless it was spun exactly right - lead to other tory leadership contenders getting their knives out

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure even Boris Johnson can keep blustering his way through while he's sitting in a prison cell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Double post, better pay the cat tax as penance.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

i think he probably can be, as long as it's for less than a year
That's sentenced rather than actually incarcerated though, which iirc stems from the distinction between felonies and misdemeanours in English Law before that was scrapped. So he could be sentenced to a year and a day, sacked, then let out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if it was incarcerated then, what, do they get to be PM in prison until the year ticks down?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

As far as I understand it you can be PM without being MP, so that might not work.
Also it's "becoming a MP" and he is already. The and part is also not clear: is it only if you are in prison at that moment?

(I mean this from a strictly legalistic POV, obviously having the PM in prison is a pretty dumb idea which means it will now happen).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mano posted:

As far as I understand it you can be PM without being MP, so that might not work.

Not true as far as I'm aware, you can definitely do it as a lord, and I'm not sure if you even need to be in government at all.

e: Ok I'm blind you said can, not can't.

On the rest though I'm fairly sure going to prison for a year is actualy the only way to formally sack an MP.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It doesn't look to me like whoever made the tweet actually read the source
the police are annoyed but not disowned.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bojo wouldn't be arrested or towered or whatever

The ruling class not facing any real world consequences has a huge mandate in Parliament, laws are for them to make, not obey

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also while it's a fun propoganda exercise to say boris's majority is negative forty odd, the tories he kicked out will vote with him for the foreseeable on the extremely solid basis they'll be let back in next regime change or sooner. and even if they aren't getting let back in they still don't want an election.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

- Invade Zimbabwe

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

John Rentoul’s Hootenanny

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

also while it's a fun propoganda exercise to say boris's majority is negative forty odd, the tories he kicked out will vote with him for the foreseeable on the extremely solid basis they'll be let back in next regime change or sooner. and even if they aren't getting let back in they still don't want an election.

Will they though? The fact is that a lot of the party are now leaving, with the loss of someone to the Lid-dems and his own brother he is now down by 3 folks to make things work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

I think this very much depends on whether Cummings is handling negotiations with them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

the tories he kicked out will vote with him for the foreseeable

CoolCab posted:

even if they aren't getting let back in they still don't want an election.
So they'll vote with him on anything except a snap election?

That sounds like a significant disadvantage for him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Quite excited to see Johnson die in a ditch lads. I'm hoping it will be televised.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

They’re going to need a bigger minibus.

The defection, or re-defection, of Luciana Berger from Labour to the Independent Group/Change UK and, now, to the Liberal Democrats brings the party’s Commons strength up to 16. It’s still quite a come down from the high water mark of 63, achieved under Charles Kennedy’s leadership, but remarkable progress all the same.

For the first time in a decade, the Liberal Democrats have some solid cause to feel optimistic. With excellent showings in by-elections and the European contests, and the high-profile defection of Phillip Lee from the Tories (theatrically interrupting Boris Johnson’s Commons statement to the G7 summit), they seem to be on a roll.

Liberal democrats see great gains from votes from people who voted for other parties hooray lmao

i guess you don't have the same level of ~betrayal of voters' trust~ debate that we'd have had here in prop/rep land since people still get the person they voted for?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I'd go for one in the Fens, lots of other rich macroinvertebrates there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Puntification posted:

Quite excited to see Johnson die in a ditch lads. I'm hoping it will be televised.

Worked well for Gaddafi

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CoolCab posted:

the tories he kicked out will vote with him for the foreseeable

CoolCab posted:

they still don't want an election.

did i miss something

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd go for one in the Fens, lots of other rich macroinvertebrates there.

All the more reason not to dump a pile of toxic waste in it, no?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Nice piece of fish posted:

Go to law school.

This is bad advice. Law school is where you learn how to make conflict as unpleasant as possible without becoming physically violent.

c0burn posted:

Doesn't he seem tired?

I'm not sure if this was an intentional reference, but one of many things that bothered me about Doctor Who was his willingness to end a supposed historical golden age out of spite.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
We have our street stall tomorrow and trying to get exactly straight and 'word perfect' on Labour's brexit position because it's bound to come up!

My understanding is that if in a position to do so, Labour will negotiate the best possible brexit that doesn't f*k the citizenry because we can't ignore the fact that 17.4m voted to leave. BUT Labour will campaign to remain because actually that is the best outcome. This is Em's position from last night and also the tweet posted earlier.

However, when I go to the Labour policy website, it still says campaign for remain over no-deal or tory deal. It doesn't say 'any deal'.

Are we 100% sure that Labour will campaign for remain even if they have negotiated the deal on offer?

I thought it was campaign for remain over any deal including one Labour negotiate, but need it cast iron. Our stall-personners tend to watch the BBC and trust the Graun.

I know Welsh labour will be campaigning for remain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would expect labour to remain netural in a hypothetical their deal vs remain referendum. Y'know like the government's supposed to do because that's literally the point of a referendum??? With individual MPs free to advocate however they want.

Labour do need to put out a concrete position on that though if it's gonna be part of the campaign.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We have our street stall tomorrow and trying to get exactly straight and 'word perfect' on Labour's brexit position because it's bound to come up!

My understanding is that if in a position to do so, Labour will negotiate the best possible brexit that doesn't f*k the citizenry because we can't ignore the fact that 17.4m voted to leave. BUT Labour will campaign to remain because actually that is the best outcome. This is Em's position from last night and also the tweet posted earlier.

However, when I go to the Labour policy website, it still says campaign for remain over no-deal or tory deal. It doesn't say 'any deal'.

Are we 100% sure that Labour will campaign for remain even if they have negotiated the deal on offer?

I thought it was campaign for remain over any deal including one Labour negotiate, but need it cast iron. Our stall-personners tend to watch the BBC and trust the Graun.

I know Welsh labour will be campaigning for remain.

I think the idea is that the leadership will create a referendum with two decent options, and then sit back and let everyone else campaign as they choose (which may include members of their own party). Otherwise, it isn't a proper choice. Basically, the idea is to bring about a situation where either leaving or remaining is fine, and everyone can pick their fave.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

Worked well for Gaddafi

But are rebels going to wear his hats as they did Gaddafi's?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

I think his best chance by far is to resign and let Corbyn deliver the extension request to the EU, then fight the election as leader of the opposition.
It doesn’t seem like “I could only manage a few weeks as PM this time, but next time I’ll nail it for sure” would be a vote winner for the strength-loving Tories.

Personally I think that between having to seek an extension, being granted an extension, accepting the extension, and passing a bill codifying that extension into law, there’s more than enough wiggle room for them to force a no-deal exit.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
In terms of this no deal Brexit bill is the next step a third reading in the Commons (on Monday?) and enactment assuming it gets voted through again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the idea is that the leadership will create a referendum with two decent options, and then sit back and let everyone else campaign as they choose (which may include members of their own party). Otherwise, it isn't a proper choice. Basically, the idea is to bring about a situation where either leaving or remaining is fine, and everyone can pick their fave.

I wish that would be the option. I doubt it would work like that, but its really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

CoolCab posted:

It'll be odd to see them vote with the government if they do a VONC or a 51% Election bill.

I do wonder if there will be enough labour rebels to get 51% for a VONC. We live in a strange world though.