Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Blitz7x posted:

So after my ST brutally chopped my Brujah's head off for a masquerade breach I decided to reroll as a setite/Ministry member who is a tattoo artist who has a cult following/herd to feed on. My understanding is that setites basically "get off" on metaphorically walking someone through self realization and coming to terms with a truth, be it for better or worse?

So during a tattoo session/feed a member of his herd basically admitted that she was an exotic dancer to get through school and I decided that my character was going to push to see if this was merely a way to pay for school or if she actually desired that lifestyle and even further preparing to go into the field of being a sex worker full time. The NPC said fairly firmly it was for school while I pressed. It didn't go over so well.

My group has a system that I believe is vaguely described in the books to manage our groups comfort level with a scene using green for 'this is okay', yellow for 'haha slow your roll chief' and red for ' I Am Uncomfortable'. We conduct the sessions through roll20 and skype but post memes and stuff in a discord. I was in roll20 at the time and couldn't see the discord or the Webcam of my coterie faces but afterwards I tabbed over to see:

I'm embarrassed as hell that I didn't see it and mortified that I took it so far trying to RP a setite wanting to know someone's true nature. Am I doing this right? I guess it got weird but am I track for what a setite is trying to do? I'm all over the place and am super embarrassed but want to keep playing this character. I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Edit: sorry, this is V5

The theme of all the stories you've given us- at least, the singular reports you give of them- doesn't make me see anything specific to V5 per se or even your group & ST, and everything to do with you trying to roleplay or give any time and effort to feeding from humans as a vampire. Treat gathering blood the same way the larger culture has for going on three decades and make it a brutal one sentence handwave and all your problems go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Hey everyone. So I’m a bit upset over a role play session I’ve had recently.

I’ve had a history of dealing with problematic things in video games and especially tabletop, but you get used to it. As a woman you...kind of have to power through it? It’s difficult to understand but I feel like I need to set a good example for everyone else regardless of how they identify. My character in particular is the one female in the group. Now that’s usually not an issue. In fact it’s something I am used to in a hobby as male dominated as tabletop, but in my latest vampire game the DM created an NPC who seems designed to specifically hit on mine? They said it was because of the beautiful trait I picked up but I am unconvinced given the eyeing he is giving me. Every time this happens I have to excuse myself to the bathroom and try to not get upset, the first time it happened I was pale, (and no it’s not because I don’t leave the house often.) Any help would be appreciated. I want to let him know that I am in fact uncomfortable, but that I still want to continue playing with them all while not ruining our relationship. I don’t think he means badly, I think he’s just an awkward nerd. Still uncomfortable though.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

moths posted:

No poo poo I do, I said as much in the clarification edit that you yourself quoted.

I'm surprised that he's still playing with his garbage group. But he's also playing V5, so his trash tolerance is probably much higher than I'm used to.

Clearly not, so calm down m8

It's pretty obvious the group isnt garbage and the st has lots of checks in place. Seems like a good group and that blitz is the central trouble maker. Maybe he should consider stop violating the Masquerade and breaking basic agreed upon etiquette systems

E: I think the traffic light system is very good and should probably be a standard part of most tabletops

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 5, 2019

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I hope blitz takes all this to heart and apologizes to the st and players

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Gerund posted:

The theme of all the stories you've given us- at least, the singular reports you give of them- doesn't make me see anything specific to V5 per se or even your group & ST, and everything to do with you trying to roleplay or give any time and effort to feeding from humans as a vampire. Treat gathering blood the same way the larger culture has for going on three decades and make it a brutal one sentence handwave and all your problems go away.

This isn't how v5 works largely. It specifically codified predator types in order to move away from this and make the horror of feeding and being a blood parasite a visceral part of every session

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Inzombiac posted:

I would say that if you've agreed to this traffic light system (which I like) but neglected to use it, you should apologize to everyone and maybe send a PM to the person who had the issue with the scene.

It doesn't sound like you didn't anything malicious but people need to be really careful and cognizant about the comfort levels of others.

No doubt, I was just trying to put together my dice modifiers for an upcoming roll and just missed the red lights. Again, I'm super embarrassed about it and reached out to the ST and the player in question to apologize

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Naoto Shirogane posted:

Don't try to address this in-game or in character. And importantly don't let this get dismissed as an game issue. You, the player, have an issue with their real-life behavior.

Often creepy poo poo gets a pass in games, because oh it's not real, but your reaction and feelings are real. If you need an anchor, there you go.

And the sooner you address this, the better. Frequently, not speaking up is perceived as a tacit endorsement. And if you seemingly didn't have a problem with it before, this will absolutely continue.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

:sever:

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Thank you all very much, I will take your advice to heart and confront him before we go to the pre session Olive Garden run. As much as I like our sessions as a whole, this cannot continue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

moths posted:

Don't try to address this in-game or in character. And importantly don't let this get dismissed as an game issue. You, the player, have an issue with their real-life behavior.

Often creepy poo poo gets a pass in games, because oh it's not real, but your reaction and feelings are real. If you need an anchor, there you go.

And the sooner you address this, the better. Frequently, not speaking up is perceived as a tacit endorsement. And if you seemingly didn't have a problem with it before, this will absolutely continue.

I can't agree with this harder.

I've had real creepy people try to slip in their disgusting beliefs in games and it needs to be dealt with firmly and immediately.
If they don't change, or worse, double down, get the gently caress out.

No game is better than a bad game.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Blitz7x posted:

So during a tattoo session/feed a member of his herd basically admitted that she was an exotic dancer to get through school and I decided that my character was going to push to see if this was merely a way to pay for school or if she actually desired that lifestyle and even further preparing to go into the field of being a sex worker full time.

i'm gonna give you some roleplaying hints, from a narrative perspective: Put A Veil On It. Make it less direct, allude to things rather than state them outright.

There's something you really have to keep in mind with vampire, and that is: Sex Is Assumed. It's baked into the system. Instead of going straight to hooking, you could have explored themes of agency and self actualization. "Desired that lifestyle," that should have been where you ended the quesiton. Leave it to them to interperate what you mean by "desire" and "lifestyle."

The secret to playing a setite is to encourage people to stop limiting themselves based on outmoded and conservative social ideologies. Encourage others to seek out sources of strength, in this case it could have been the financial independance of dancing and maybe, maybe the allure of power it provides over the people you dance for.

Just, don't make it crass.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

moths posted:

This a thousands times.

Powering through it is for it when it comes to books and things that don't, you know, have actual people there that should be able to notice this stuff. lovely behavior needs to be called out and explained as some times those awkward nerds don't even consciously realize what they're doing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
During our next downtime, one of my players is going to be purchasing Professional Training. He's already written up the justification post, which includes, for the contacts the merit gives, an invite to a special facebook cover group called <3WHOLESOME<3WOLFPOSTING<3

I love my players.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just chiming in with more support for confrontation.

There are lots of ways to keep this light, if you're worried about the effect it will have on the long term relationship. But you absolutely have the right to put the breaks on it. I've run games where players have specifically made orphan characters, that is to say, they have no idea who their parents were, and they tell me, outright, "I don't want to make my parents a part of this character" and you just okay, got it, no problem. And I think most people would agree that is a rational amount of agency for a character to have - so obviously, "I don't want another character leering at me, it makes me uncomfortable" should be met with, "oh okay."

Because this is your ST, you can approach the issue from the angle of: this is not the story I want to tell, these are themes I'm uncomfortable with, what is it you are trying to accomplish with this NPC? It may be as simple as, "I need to give your Merit a downside!" and he's just not thinking very hard about the impact that is having or how it makes you feel, so just let him know you don't like it and take it from there. The correct reaction from a friend and good ST is, "oh poo poo, I'm sorry! I didn't know I was doing that to you. I get that makes you uncomfortable. Help me write a story you will enjoy", so hopefully that's where it goes.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Blitz7x posted:

Weird question here and I'd like to stay as above board as we can if possible.

Setting: V5 set in LA, coterie is a bunch of lowish power anarchs. One of the PCs has a no-women/children feeding clause, but he's also kinda homophobic so it makes feeding a little weird. It doesn't help that he also went to a gay club and started attacking people ( not a homophobia thing, just trying to prevent a masquerade breach). Now to get around this the player brought up that he could feed on trans women to get around this penalty. Would the feeding penalty be what the vampire perceives? But what if the vampire is aware? Or just goes for men dressed as women?

Sorry again i know this is weird but I'm new to the mechanics

edit: the VAMPIRE is homophobic/transphobic, not the actually player

I don’t know your full story but just from this post alone, you wouldn’t be allowed at my table. Maybe your Brujah was killed out of pettiness because your st sucks, but I’m definitely not going to trust anyone who has to ask if it’s cool to codify transphobia into their game mechanics.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xinder posted:

I don’t know your full story but just from this post alone, you wouldn’t be allowed at my table. Maybe your Brujah was killed out of pettiness because your st sucks, but I’m definitely not going to trust anyone who has to ask if it’s cool to codify transphobia into their game mechanics.

Pretty sure the transphobia thing was one of the other players at the table, right? From what I remember that really isn't on him since he was asking for opinions on the situation and what to do.

Now, the fact that he didn't listen when we said to :sever: and find a better group is pretty much on him, yeah. All this crap could have been avoided if he had just ditched them at the first opportunity and found better people to play with.

On the other hand, this whole saga just keeps getting more and more :stonk: as time goes on. So kudos on that in a morbid "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" sort of way I guess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure the transphobia thing was one of the other players at the table, right? From what I remember that really isn't on him since he was asking for opinions on the situation and what to do.

Asking at all still absolutely feels like it’s seeking validation on thinking “trans women aren’t real women, right?” which is absolutely transphobic

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xinder posted:

Asking at all still absolutely feels like it’s seeking validation on thinking “trans women aren’t real women, right?” which is absolutely transphobic

I get what you mean.

Even regardless of that though the fact that he didn't just find a new group after the entire thread poo poo all over his group for their poor behavior really does kind of make this his own fault. That incident and the whole "The ST is a raging douchebag that murders characters for shits and giggles while the other players bark at the guy who made a gangrel." thing makes me think that he should have seen the warning signs and left to find someone to play the game with that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 6, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oh hey, hadn't realized that was the same guy as that question

gently caress off, that guy

moths
Aug 25, 2004

V5 was pitched directly at a terrible demographic and now terrible people are playing it. Quelle suprise!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Props for simplifying all the overlapping bloodlines in the dumbest way possible, especially when so much ink was spilled in the initial introduction clarifying that the Samedi were not a Giovanni offshoot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
drat if only there were posters who figured this out earlier and were trying to point it out but were attacked for dare suggesting blitz7x was part of the problem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If only there were a way for you to express yourself without being an insufferable rear end in a top hat :thunk:

If anything at this point between all 3 of you I'm even less inclined to play V5.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 6, 2019

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I’ve had a history of dealing with problematic things in video games and especially tabletop, but you get used to it. As a woman you...kind of have to power through it? It’s difficult to understand but I feel like I need to set a good example for everyone else regardless of how they identify. My character in particular is the one female in the group. Now that’s usually not an issue. In fact it’s something I am used to in a hobby as male dominated as tabletop, but in my latest vampire game the DM created an NPC who seems designed to specifically hit on mine? They said it was because of the beautiful trait I picked up but I am unconvinced given the eyeing he is giving me. Every time this happens I have to excuse myself to the bathroom and try to not get upset, the first time it happened I was pale, (and no it’s not because I don’t leave the house often.) Any help would be appreciated. I want to let him know that I am in fact uncomfortable, but that I still want to continue playing with them all while not ruining our relationship. I don’t think he means badly, I think he’s just an awkward nerd. Still uncomfortable though.

Have you considered not being so sexy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

If only there were a way for you to express yourself without being an insufferable rear end in a top hat :thunk:

If anything at this point between all 3 of you I'm even less inclined to play V5.

That's your loss baby

Oberst posted:

Have you considered not being so sexy?

Wtf is wrong with you

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Will this finally be the drama that breaks up the Metapod/Oberst boy band?
Also:

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kurieg posted:

Will this finally be the drama that breaks up the Metapod/Oberst boy band?

It's more likely they realized their schtick was getting old and staged a fake fight to trick people into think they aren't the same guy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Props for simplifying all the overlapping bloodlines in the dumbest way possible, especially when so much ink was spilled in the initial introduction clarifying that the Samedi were not a Giovanni offshoot.

Also for creating actual --- and i'm not making GBS threads you --- libertarian frat vampires based in Harvard that are at least partially convinced that Ayn Rand was a vampire herself since she was such a lovely parasitic human being. Mind you, the in character writer speaks of her in awe, like she's some visionary philospher instead of the hypocrite and all around rear end in a top hat she actually was.
And apparently all this (and so much more! The entire section is just filled with :stonk: level "No, no, stop writing! You're only digging yourself deeper!" moments.) is said while they scheme to John Galt the poors and minorities of the world.

Also they may or may not be gay in what was probably intended to be a dig at libertarians in an attempt to make them less of a stereotypical caricature but just comes off as bigoted and lovely. I'd have to either check with the one person I know that actually bought the Anarchs book or straight up just pirate the thing to post the relevant quotes here since there's no way in hell i'm giving Nu WW money for such a lovely and offensive game rewrite.

If V5 ever gets a Hunter splat spin off under the new management then it's going to be game #1 to play for monster slaying and pissing off CHUD and alt-right/neo-nazi types. Assuming it doesn't get CHUDified as well, that is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Now I'm looking forward to chuds and worthless centerists unironically declaring that hunters are just as bad as the literal monsters they kill.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

Now I'm looking forward to chuds and worthless centerists unironically declaring that hunters are just as bad as the literal monsters they kill.

A weeping, gaping maw opens in the earth as the shambling corpse of beast claws it's way out, screaming "Not all heroes."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Soonmot posted:

During our next downtime, one of my players is going to be purchasing Professional Training. He's already written up the justification post, which includes, for the contacts the merit gives, an invite to a special facebook cover group called <3WHOLESOME<3WOLFPOSTING<3

I love my players.

I love it.

I took Professional Training for my Nos because he's heavily in the art scene and fits with his "Plucked From Obscurity" background.

He also has True Friend, which I'm curious about. It seems like I get an invincible ally/contact/retainer that is also my BFF. Pretty nuts for only ***.
He's going to be the Ned to my Peter Parker, not a combat friend. Maybe he'll be the charming one while I skulk around.
And I'll make him a ghoul, obviously.

Does anyone have thoughts on Small Framed?
The HP hit is rough but the text says you get +2 when attempting to hide or avoid detection.
Wouldn't that just act like a permanent +2 to Stealth?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Thread rolls a frenzy check ({1+1+2+10})

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

That's your loss baby

Wtf is wrong with you

Wait do you actually believe a bad faith poster whose last post was about a lasombra youtuber who drinks coke zero? Lmao

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

You know, even if blitz is part of the problem, 'Don't break the Masquerade!' was never actually good advice. If blitz is part of the problem, the problem is still not in the game fiction but in the behavior of players at the table, and should be solved OOC.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Using IC actions to punish OOC Actions are just going to encourage people to act out more, both IC and OOC. And even if people are being disingenuous in their posting, responding to their posts as serious and providing solutions is still the way to go because it's still useful to others who might encounter those situations in the future.

In either case telling a woman "have you considered not being so sexy" is just more sexist gatekeeping that contributes to the problems they're experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Honestly, the only rule I tell people who play in my game is "Don't be an rear end in a top hat to each other." That seems to pretty much cover it.

Also, everyone is generally a well adjusted adult. Seems to help. It often seems very strange for a WoD/CoD game of any variety, but it's mage, so who who knows...