Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grey Hunter posted:

It'll be odd to see them vote with the government if they do a VONC or a 51% Election bill.

I do wonder if there will be enough labour rebels to get 51% for a VONC. We live in a strange world though.

I don't think they have the diplomatic capacity for it. Dom Cummies is just going to yell and expect people to give up.

107 is how many episodes it took for Mbmbam to get better, so we are already ahead of the curve with 2 podcasts being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

My parents separated when I was 7, after years of every night being an angry screaming fight. I don’t know if this is why I grew up wildly conflict avoidant or if it was even a contributing factor, but it seems to be a common thing for a lot of people.
I think the inverse can be true as well though. My parents decided to 'never have an argument' in front of me or my brothers, which extended to never disagreeing in front of us. It's left me absolutely unable to handle conflict to the extent of shutting down completely in some cases.

Barry Foster posted:

It's cathartic - it's actually good for the reasons you and bman don't like it, it shows you the absolute worst, most awkward people, and you get to laugh about how you're (hopefully) not like that.
That might be why I also hate it - I watch it feeling that I very much am like that and could very feasibly get myself into that kind of situation.

Jose posted:

I've got friends trying to tempt me into wow classic and it's getting hard to resist
do it you coward im a druid now

peanut- posted:

The FPS mechanics don't matter as the only correct solutions to all problems in Deus Ex are the prod and the GEP gun.
Nope, it's a small metal crate. I knew the guy who attempted this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

did i miss something

possibly? they are currently faux-conservatives - they have an incentive to keep voting with the party to remain popular with their parliamentary colleagues, which is their base of support. the second there's an election this ambiguity goes away and they are definitely Not Conservatives, and they'll likely have a hell of a struggle to keep their seats anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CoolCab posted:

possibly? they are currently faux-conservatives - they have an incentive to keep voting with the party to remain popular with their parliamentary colleagues, which is their base of support. the second there's an election this ambiguity goes away and they are definitely Not Conservatives, and they'll likely have a hell of a struggle to keep their seats anyway.

The thing is though that loads of them are leaving the fold eventually and I think people really want to stick the boot into Johnson because he's frustrating their own ambitions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, just for once I think we can rely on the spite of (ex-)tories over their natural cowardice. They loving hate him. It's definitely personal now.

I mean, he kicked out Ken Clarke

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

A cat is penned up in a steel chamber, along with a Tory MP (which must be secured against direct interference with the cat)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Since Johnson could keep on ruling a minority government there does need to be continued pressure on everyone in parliament to actually have an election. The lib dems will gently caress around as much as possible to insist the referendum happens first or something and there's still a lot of the Labour right and Remainers being fuckwits about the whole thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Puntification posted:

Quite excited to see Johnson die in a ditch lads. I'm hoping it will be televised.

Labour should create a ditch on the back of a lorry and drive it around No 10 or West Minister every time Boris appears.
And keep refering that they brought one for him.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

listening to the podcast & genuine lol at the delivery of "Boris can't even elect himself out of power"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I liked the topical overlay to the intro tune, even if I had the Pavlovian expectation of "But who are the hard left, Chris?".

Joyous episode as expected, already looks like there will be great material for next week.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namesake posted:

The lib dems will gently caress around as much as possible to insist the referendum happens first or something

Arguably this is good.

Gammons will vote BXP en masse and split the Tory vote. Lib Dems will be the party that stole our Brexit and, having already implemented the single biggest policy point that would make Labour voters defect to them, will split the Lab vote less.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i also think it was a calculated thing - if you needed to both mass purge your party and have an election you want to do it in that order and ideally as close together as is practically possible. finding a candidate at the last minute sucks but boy howdy does needing to arrange independent financing for an election suck more.

big, swingy and stupid - can't clear parliament? fire a bunch of them against your own interest and tell them to bring it on. strongman 101.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

suck my woke dick posted:

Arguably this is good.

Gammons will vote BXP en masse and split the Tory vote. Lib Dems will be the party that stole our Brexit and, having already implemented the single biggest policy point that would make Labour voters defect to them, will split the Lab vote less.

You're assuming that remain beats no deal in the referendum.

You're also missing that the referendum going first would require Labour to enable it, that tarnishes Labour significantly with leavers and ruins the brand of them being radical when they line up with a lot of parliament to basically force a return to the status quo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Laughed until I had tears in my eyes about how shite that chicken meme is, only for James, Cleverly, to go and tweet it out dumber

https://twitter.com/JamesCleverly/status/1169947392067678209

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

I vaguely recall some article from I think mcdonnel suggesting the provision of british green technology patents to the global south to help with their development in a way that doesn't kill everyone.

Ah, cheers. Sounds like they might have promising stuff behind the scenes. Guessing they're probably a little occupied with other things right now, and helping the filthy poor foreigns isn't exactly a major selling point with the heavy-remain "international" crowd or with the Leave sections of the base

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aw man, I just got back from a trip to Wales to discover that Andy, who's been selling the Big Issue at the supermarket opposite my house for ten years, died. There's a nice memorial to him with lots of messages from friends, but I'm sad I won't get to chat with him again. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1169955425070067715?s=19

Bold strategy from the UK to antagonise and abuse the Irish government, considering

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Laughed until I had tears in my eyes about how shite that chicken meme is, only for James, Cleverly, to go and tweet it out dumber

More like James "Tweeted This Not So" Cleverly.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1169955425070067715?s=19

Bold strategy from the UK to antagonise and abuse the Irish government, considering

Well its been UK policy for hundreds of years, so why would they stop now?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The Hon James Dumberly, MP

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Brony Car posted:

I'm not sure if this was an intentional reference, but one of many things that bothered me about Doctor Who was his willingness to end a supposed historical golden age out of spite.

Doctor Who is Harry Potter for sci-fi.

Magical space guy who goes around talking about how great the world is, not bothering to improve the status quo.
A powerful authority figure who keeps making sure humanity follows along the right path -- Which is basically the 2012 Olympics, but forever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Imagining the furious WhatsApp coordination that went into the launch strategy of this absolutely dogshit chicken-suit meme and lmaoing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1169949855369900035

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Imagining the furious WhatsApp coordination that went into the launch strategy of this absolutely dogshit chicken-suit meme and lmaoing

Apparently multiple Tory MPs have posted it making their own quips, so they absolutely think they've played a blinder.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-delay-extension-france-macron-veto-article-50-boris-johnson-a9094221.html

Macron making noises about vetoing any further Brexit delay on account of the UK being a bunch of clueless twats incapable of actually negotiating.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/jackbern23/status/1169936147360944133

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1169944575902986244

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

The Tories are playing an exceedingly dangerous game after all Jeremy Corbyn's brother could beat up BoJo's brother.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One Big Burger is the motto of the Industrial Workers of Wimpy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

bessantj posted:

The Tories are playing an exceedingly dangerous game after all Jeremy Corbyn's brother could beat up BoJo's brother.

It really is schoolyard name calling, isn't it.

I'm surprised Boris wasn't making chicken noises and putting his hands under his armpits and waving his elbow around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cummings literally thought that he could bully Corbyn into a GE with a chicken meme. He probably wrote it in giant letters on the glass walls of the HQ thinking he was Good Will Hunting. The Galaxy brain is expanding at relativistic rates

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1169961053532413953

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Pretty sure confusing a fast food chain with a giant poultry while tripling down on some poorly thought out schoolyard bullshit is somewhere towards the back of The Art of War.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Now that Britain has at last reached consensus to or Rleemaavien would people agree BJ's strategy is to go hard right to take away the Brexit party's raison d'être? Seems to me he's chiefly worried about vote splitting on the right costing him a majority after GE, and would rather purge the less extreme Tories (makes it look like he's in more control) and gamble he can win a majority anyways than try to appease them and create even bigger divisions among hardliners that would almost certainly cost a majority. Seems possible his going hard right might be stronger from a strictly Machiavellian maximizing power standpoint. At least over the short term.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Of course. He's a naked opportunist. Once he saw that the opportunity was there for him to get into power on an insular, xenophobic Leave-at-any-cost platform, he grabbed it with both hands. Who even knows what his actual opinion on the EU is - I doubt he even does himself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bardeh posted:

Of course. He's a naked opportunist. Once he saw that the opportunity was there for him to get into power on an insular, xenophobic Leave-at-any-cost platform, he grabbed it with both hands. Who even knows what his actual opinion on the EU is - I doubt he even does himself.

If he cares at all, he only cares in that he can earn money off the firesale of british assets and/or hide his tax dealings somehow.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Eregos posted:

Now that Britain has at last reached consensus to or Rleemaavien would people agree BJ's strategy is to go hard right to take away the Brexit party's raison d'être? Seems to me he's chiefly worried about vote splitting on the right costing him a majority after GE, and would rather purge the less extreme Tories (makes it look like he's in more control) and gamble he can win a majority anyways than try to appease them and create even bigger divisions among hardliners that would almost certainly cost a majority. Seems possible his going hard right might be stronger from a strictly Machiavellian maximizing power standpoint. At least over the short term.

That was absolutely his ( or rather Cummings') plan. Problem is they've overplayed their hand, with the result that now any election is almost certain to take place after BoJo has either been forced to ask for an extension or resigned, both of which are likely push the fash gammon back into the arms of the Brexit Party thereby fatally splitting the Leave vote and denying the Tories a majority. Hopefully.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Graun blog:

quote:

He claimed Jeremy Corbyn was making a mistake in refusing to back an early election. He said:

quote:

I think it is the most sensational paradox. Never in history has there been an opposition party that has been given the chance to have an election and has turned it down. If I may say so, I think that they are making an extraordinary political mistake. But it’s their decision.
(Why Johnson would want an early election if it was also advantageous to Labour to have one was not explained.)

lol

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

The same contrivances where Cameron saying "for god's sake resign" to Corbyn was viewed as some unprecedented and instantly classic burn

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Am I the only who feels that BBC reporting lately has been even more pro-government than before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tindalos posted:

Doctor Who is Harry Potter for sci-fi.

Magical space guy who goes around talking about how great the world is, not bothering to improve the status quo.
A powerful authority figure who keeps making sure humanity follows along the right path -- Which is basically the 2012 Olympics, but forever.

The doctor literally fights and beats capitalism in a recent series (the ep was ‘Oxygen’ for ref.), so I don’t think I can agree with your analogy fully. Ofc the doctor also carried the Olympic torch in a very bad ep. Land of contrasts.