Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kitfox88 posted:

how many fingat did it take for this exchange

It didn't even try. The animal seems to be the gentle giant everyone says they are. He lived his whole life with an old man who is now going into a home. The Bird Hut is facilitating a sale only to someone qualified for the bird that will help pay for the old man being in a home. It's sad, because the bird was apparently rescued by the old man from a bad situation and lived with him for a decade. The bird is very, very skittish. But nothing even slightly aggressive. He likes me, more than likely because I have the soul of an 85 year old in a 35 year old body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is Sam, the one eyed Amazon. She is very meek and sweet, but spent almost the whole time I was there today doing this -

So that's the bird equivalent of a sensory deprivation...coconut, right?

They had this...birds. I'm not sure what they are but they eat fruit. They look like hummingbirds and my ladyfriend who works there caught one for my camera!

They have a breeding pair of Greys who have been doing it for twenty years. They just produced their very first Red Factor Grey. This bird is very, very young. But, expected to keep his or her red plumage -

This little baby rosy wanted to go home with me. LOOKIT DAT FACE!!!

I should have taken more pictures of the Hyacinth. I was too busy petting to get pictures today. I'll remedy that soon.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjkiS3jAq7M

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A kickstarter that might interest some of you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ohayou/the-bird-itabag/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Trebuchet King posted:

For clarity, she grew up on a boat at first, just a larger, more birdproof boat, and that's where I'd birdsat her--she's also only like 5 or 6 at this point, I think? The boat I'm on is a smaller sized powerboat, and most of the windows are simply acrylic that slides in a track. The v-berth has clampable windows, but salon/stateroom don't (and it's really frustrating in winter). I've already told my friend that I can't, as even if any of my plans to move ashore suddenly came to fruition there's still just that the job I'm working these days keeps me away from home during the day longer than I think would be ideal.

I really want to know more about the reading cockatoos.

I'm probably being overly negative and a total worrywart just because I'd panic about living fulltime on a boat with Pookie (which would be a complete shock to her) compared to Connie who is already perfectly comfortable with boat living. Parrot rehoming is such a sad but common necessity - I really hope she gets settled with someone you all know so's you can stay friends with her :)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Absolutely fantastic

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a new food for Pookie!

Since she won't eat pellets, I make her her own curries out of various lentils, plus chickpeas and veggies, sometimes with brown rice too, plus a bowl of fresh fruit and veg. The problem is that she'd far rather eat chips/sweets/steak/spaghetti bolognese than her own food. Aldi recently got in some chickpea fusilli for the high-protein everything crowd, and it's literally only got chickpea flour in it. So now Pookie can have her own 'pasta' (chickpeas) with 'bolognese' (fruity/veggie lentil curry) - and it's going down really well! She eats it like it's bold awful junk food that's going to be taken off her if anyone see her but jokes on her, it's HEALTHY!!!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pookah posted:

Since she won't eat pellets, I make her her own curries out of various lentils, plus chickpeas and veggies, sometimes with brown rice too, plus a bowl of fresh fruit and veg. The problem is that she'd far rather eat chips/sweets/steak/spaghetti bolognese than her own food. Aldi recently got in some chickpea fusilli for the high-protein everything crowd, and it's literally only got chickpea flour in it. So now Pookie can have her own 'pasta' (chickpeas) with 'bolognese' (fruity/veggie lentil curry) - and it's going down really well! She eats it like it's bold awful junk food that's going to be taken off her if anyone see her but jokes on her, it's HEALTHY!!!

your bird eats better than i do

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pookah posted:

As a vegetarian and coeliac I am delighted that everywhere is doing bean flour pasta now. My mum hates it but I love it. Crouton and Galbedir aren't fans. They have just learnt that more of a strawberry than the green bits are edible, just in time for strawberry season! Every evening they share a punnet with me and get strawberry blood stains all over my clothes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh Pookie'd have a pretty decent diet if she'd actually eat the stuff that's meant for her :) Lately she's been ignoring her actual food in favour of waiting for her usual little snack of seeds in the evening. I know she'll eat the chickpea pasta for the next couple of days, the challenge will be to get her to keep eating it long-term. I just made up a different batch of lentil curry for her so hopefully I keep switching stuff around she'll keep eating the good stuff.

It'd be a hell of a lot easier if she'd eat the pellets but I've tried that several times, for months on end and she just throws them around and makes angry chewing noises :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

you are diabolical

and I am hungry

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The other day Serra stole a ginger snap looking cookie from my father.

She carried the chunk she got around her cage for HOURS looking so :smug:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

you are diabolical

and I am hungry

Ahahaha - wholesome, wholegrain psychological manipulation all over the shop!

Actually the last batch of curry was really pretty tasty - red and yellow lentils, a bit of no-salt garam masala, a couple of dried birds eye chillis and a minced carrot and minced apple for some sweetness. They tend to be a bit bland because no salt onions or garlic but the apple really perked the whole thing up.

I put spinach in a batch once - Big. Mistake. Pookie thought it was completely revolting and the whole lot ended up in the bin :( Now that I think about it, she actually ate two spinach leaves this morning, but they were from my breakfast so they probably count as treats, not actual food. She's such a dick about fruits and veges - she'll switch between 'I love this so much, I want to eat this and only this for ever and ever' and 'I hate this, I have never liked this why are you trying to kill me with this terrible not-food' about say, pears, in the space of a single day.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

you are diabolical

and I am hungry

Hey when your Senegal gets real mad at u does it bite its own legs / feet? I can't get a picture of Sinbad doing it right now because he moves pretty fast but he is really telling me off right now and I'll regret what I did when he's a footless cripple!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

these are both the same drat bird, I do not understand how terminally adorable she is

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

How precious is that bird getting some rubs n scritches. A perfect bird if ever I saw one. So content and happy looking

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Just wait. You'll get to the sassy two year old phase soon enough.

Serra has never bitten anyone, but she sure likes to ACT TOUGH!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Faerie Fortune posted:

these are both the same drat bird, I do not understand how terminally adorable she is

I miss my dad's little lutino girl :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey when your Senegal gets real mad at u does it bite its own legs / feet? I can't get a picture of Sinbad doing it right now because he moves pretty fast but he is really telling me off right now and I'll regret what I did when he's a footless cripple!

oh my god what a mental image :laffo:

Charlie doesn't do that, but I don't think he's ever been truly mad at me (yet). The closest he gets is when he's misbehaving and won't step up and gets picked up/moved like a football. He does the angry Sennie WHIPWHIPWHIPWHIP sound all the way to his cage, head whipping and feet kicking furiously

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

oh my god what a mental image :laffo:

Charlie doesn't do that, but I don't think he's ever been truly mad at me (yet). The closest he gets is when he's misbehaving and won't step up and gets picked up/moved like a football. He does the angry Sennie WHIPWHIPWHIPWHIP sound all the way to his cage, head whipping and feet kicking furiously

I need to see this angry sound and whip. NEED.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I'm a POLITICAL PRISONEEERRRRRR!"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Teach him to yell 'I DO NOT WISH TO CREATE JOINDER' when he's moved bodily across a room.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I still need to see the Senegal "WHIPWHIPWHIP" thing. It's for science.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just spent so long trying to find a YouTube video of a Senegal making the sound I'm referring to, haha! I'll try to get a picture e: I mean video next time he's being naughty, but he only does it when he's incredibly indignant and outraged at his manhandling (presumably on account of my cabinet was tasting so good just then)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 8, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just spent so long trying to find a YouTube video of a Senegal making the sound I'm referring to, haha! I'll try to get a picture next time he's being naughty, but he only does it when he's incredibly indignant and outraged at his manhandling (presumably on account of my cabinet was tasting so good just then)

Birbs are the best.

:3:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I came home and found Pesto with blood caked onto his head. He's acting normally, flying around, singing etc.

It looks a few feathers are missing, so I don't think it's just a broken pin feather. Should I keep the birds separate from eachother for now and monitor Pesto really closely? I'm worried about him.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I came home and found Pesto with blood caked onto his head. He's acting normally, flying around, singing etc.

It looks a few feathers are missing, so I don't think it's just a broken pin feather. Should I keep the birds separate from eachother for now and monitor Pesto really closely? I'm worried about him.

What part of his head? And how much blood?
Check his nails and his friend's nails and beak. My male budgie turned up with a little blood on his head at the end of the day a couple of times- but I believe that every time but one, he just scratched himself and his nails were too long. (the last time, the other budgie did attack, but it looked like self defense so I just separated them for a few days until they were less hormonal.)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Hug in a Can posted:

What part of his head? And how much blood?
Check his nails and his friend's nails and beak. My male budgie turned up with a little blood on his head at the end of the day a couple of times- but I believe that every time but one, he just scratched himself and his nails were too long. (the last time, the other budgie did attack, but it looked like self defense so I just separated them for a few days until they were less hormonal.)

:(

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

nooo poor baby :(
definitely separate them! and call around for a vet tomorrow! it doesn't look like he's actively bleeding anymore - if he is then try to call and at least get advice on stopping the bleeding, and if he isn't, then you'll want a vet to make sure you know how to clean the wound to prevent infection.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's dry, he doesn't seem to be bleeding anymore. I'll see what I can do for a vet tomorrow.

I moved him into a smaller cage for now. Going to let the poor little thing rest. :( :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pesto!!! :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

No vets open today.

He's acting pretty normal, despite the big scab on his head. I gave him the largest spray of millet I had and he's going to town on it. My heart is telling me he'll be okay but I'm still going to call a vet tomorrow (turns out Ottawa does have an avian vet) and see what they suggest. I'll bring him in if they feel they should see him but otherwise I think a 40 minute trek into town and back in a small container might be a bit stressful and I would hate for him to thrash around and reopen the wound on accident. I'll see what they say about preventing infection. Do you guys have any tips?

You guys don't think Mayo caused it, do you? They don't fight except for when Mayo wants to land in the exact spot Pesto is in. I really think he just bumped his head on a developing pin feather. I found a tiny streak of blood on the ceiling above one of his favorite spots in the bathroom (which I NEED to remember to keep CLOSED when I'm away, gently caress) with two small feathers stuck in it.

This is a reason why I don't like leaving my apartment ever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's hard to tell from just one photo, but that looks like someone got a big bite and yanked really hard to me.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

Plant MONSTER. posted:

No vets open today.

He's acting pretty normal, despite the big scab on his head. I gave him the largest spray of millet I had and he's going to town on it. My heart is telling me he'll be okay but I'm still going to call a vet tomorrow (turns out Ottawa does have an avian vet) and see what they suggest. I'll bring him in if they feel they should see him but otherwise I think a 40 minute trek into town and back in a small container might be a bit stressful and I would hate for him to thrash around and reopen the wound on accident. I'll see what they say about preventing infection. Do you guys have any tips?

You guys don't think Mayo caused it, do you? They don't fight except for when Mayo wants to land in the exact spot Pesto is in. I really think he just bumped his head on a developing pin feather. I found a tiny streak of blood on the ceiling above one of his favorite spots in the bathroom (which I NEED to remember to keep CLOSED when I'm away, gently caress) with two small feathers stuck in it.

This is a reason why I don't like leaving my apartment ever.

Well, it sounds like you found the cause! I thought it was Mayo, but finding blood and feathers pretty much seals the deal.
Do you think you might consider trimming their flight feathers? Maybe your apartment isn't flight safe right now.

And my vet told me to keep the wound clean when my budgie had a smaller cut - I think it was just warm water and a washcloth? I'd recommend googling it or asking your potential vet for a recommendation$

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I see. Last night I used q-tips soaked in warm water and gently pat the area and then gently went over again with a dry q-tip. He's okay being touched with q-tips.

It's looking better than yesterday. He was falling asleep as I was snapping pictures. He's curled up for a full on nap now.

Mayo is alone in his own cage and has never looked so fluffy in his life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

DarkHorse posted:

It's hard to tell from just one photo, but that looks like someone got a big bite and yanked really hard to me.

Yes, my theory would be a fight, and Pesto flew into the ceiling due to being freaked out and frightened. You can put a thin dab of Neosporin on the wound if you have it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hi, bird thread. Hope you don't mind me busting in. I have a question about how my friends are handling their African Grey Parrot. I swear it's my friends and not me, I know people use that excuse all the time, and also if it's true I'm being too judgmental I will drop the matter entirely - I'm checking with you guys so I don't become that rear end in a top hat telling someone else how to raise their pet.

I visit some friends of mine for D&D every weekend, and they have an African Grey Parrot. There's a lot I don't know about how they raise the thing, and I'm not going to make any assumptions, considering there's another six and a half days of the week I'm not there to see how they handle things. But lately I had an incident where while I was having some chips while thinking up my next firebolt, and looked down and discovered a maggot, or at least some kind of small worm, crawling across my player's handbook. I inspect the bag of chips and discover several crawling along the outside of it, and was too mortified to even look inside the bag before I freaked out and threw the whole thing out. I was told by the aforementioned friends that it was most likely from the parrot's food, and that it "rarely ever happens," which was meant to make me feel better but only let me know that this has happened before.

I am in here to ask these questions:

1) How bullshit is their excuse? They say that they don't feed the parrot larvae or moths, just that it's common for them to lay eggs in the kinds of things that parrots eat.
2) Am I an rear end in a top hat for never wanting to come back to their house?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If it was a mealworm that is just fine and not unheard of.

Parrots are omnivores in the wild.

I think you are probably overreacting to a harmless nonvertibrate that can be purchased live as petfood thinking it was a sign of rot or dirtiness.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so to be clear, is it a mealworm that their parrot eats as part of their diet, or are they claiming that sometimes they just find worms in their parrots food and they think thats okay?

Because that second thing is definitely not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kenshin posted:

If it was a mealworm that is just fine and not unheard of.

Parrots are omnivores in the wild.

I think you are probably overreacting to a harmless nonvertibrate that can be purchased live as petfood thinking it was a sign of rot or dirtiness.

I'm not sure it was a mealworm, based on google images. It wasn't brown - it was a very light green to the point of being almost white, and had a small red tip. The house also has a moth problem, which they tell me is a result of the parrot food - I think what they were getting at is that the thing I saw was a larvae of those moths in the house.

I don't doubt your opinion and I haven't discounted your answer, I'm just trying to be as precise as I can.