Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Tesseraction posted:

Something that I was thinking about with a colleague yesterday was what happens if Boris just goes to the queen and resigns without letting a leadership election play out.

Until now the previous PM resigns and the new one almost immediately visits the queen to be given the office. But Boris could just resign and leave the country leaderless on the 19th, so Benn's bill cannot apply as it requires the 'Prime Minister' to perform the actions, and unless the house can grant someone confidence, the bill would be unenforceable.
prime minister is whoever the queen thinks can command the confidence of the commons. old prime minister usually makes a recommendation, but really in that kind of circumstance the outcome is 'whatever liz feels like'

the 1975 australian constitutional crisis is a good example to keep in mind

e: liz will be 111 when charlie finally dies and she can go in peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Will Boris be the first PM literally to fail at everything? No votes passed at all?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

North of the River is basically Scotland. So i guess they prefer haggis?

The further north you go, the more scottish you get. By this logic, in orkney, their diet consists entirely of triple-fried whole lamb whose internal cavity is filled with Irn Bru.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd try that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sean10mm posted:

Will Boris be the first PM literally to fail at everything? No votes passed at all?

There is every possibility, yeah

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

NewMars posted:

The further north you go, the more scottish you get. By this logic, in orkney, their diet consists entirely of triple-fried whole lamb whose internal cavity is filled with Irn Bru.

I knew I should have got on that ferry :(

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
North of the Thames it’s Nando’s country

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1169985589539745798?s=21

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

coffeetable posted:

here's a map of the good parts of london

Proud to live in Morleys Country.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Do you not have Popeye's in the UK? It's way better fast food fried chicken than KFC

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Seeing Boris pissing in his nappies trying to make it look like the opposition are cowards is delightful.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Miftan posted:

Ah yes, the bits without the red flags.

The people's flag is deepest red
It shrouded oft fried chickens dead

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lol they're wearing mics but either they're not on or they didn't use them right because that is totally the camera's lovely built-in mic picking up their voices.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

The Glumslinger posted:

Do you not have Popeye's in the UK? It's way better fast food fried chicken than KFC

There's really not that many American fast food brands in Europe. I mean, you have the usual suspects -KFC, McDonalds, Burger King- and the pizza's -Domino's and Papa Johns for some weird reason- but that's it, at least here in Holland. The only other one I can think of is Five Guys, which is overpriced and quite disgusting if you ask me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Aren't these videos supposed to have punch lines?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

If I was May, I would send an unusually big xmas card to Boris every year from now on.
With nothing inside, just a X for each failed vote. Would look like a kiss message, but Boris would know.
Boris would know.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Lol they're wearing mics but either they're not on or they didn't use them right because that is totally the camera's lovely built-in mic picking up their voices.

I'm gonna go with whatever intern they gave it to to edit decided the camera audio was "good enough" and didn't bother swapping it out for the mics.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/pierrebri/status/1170004076907700225?s=20

:eyepop:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

oscarthewilde posted:

There's really not that many American fast food brands in Europe. I mean, you have the usual suspects -KFC, McDonalds, Burger King- and the pizza's -Domino's and Papa Johns for some weird reason- but that's it, at least here in Holland. The only other one I can think of is Five Guys, which is overpriced and quite disgusting if you ask me.

Starbucks, Subway and Pizza Hut too, also Krispy Kreme and Taco Bell in a few places. Really that's quite plenty, I'm not sure how many more big US brands there even are. Uhh, olive garden I guess?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1170008876248424448?s=19

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NewMars posted:

In orkney they have deep fried mince and tatties

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What, no Long John Silver's in the UK? He was British!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

oscarthewilde posted:

As an American, I apologise for only exporting our shittiest fast food

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gasmask posted:

EU gonna tell us to gently caress off lmbo

i mean how loving hilarious would it be if they refused to grant an extension this time lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

Britain has Five Guys though

But here is another reason why high streets suck. Instead of actually good fast food/fast casual restaurants we have loving Burger King and KFC.

Jeremy Corbyn should guarantee at least five quality restaurants per high street

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1170005038909067264

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oscarthewilde posted:

There's like three Taco Bells in Britain and one of the them is (was?) in the Manchester Arndale food court. Unfortunately they don't serve the insane sorts of things you get from American Taco Bells which are IMO the entire reason to eat at a Taco Bell and not at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place run by undocumented immigrants.

The UK just can't do Mexican food. There's a place called Wahaca, for poo poo's sake. It's spelled Oaxaca, pendejos.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

It's a trade off. The more a brand expands, the harder it is to control for quality

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Do they have the whiteboard that says where the potatoes came from that day?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I think it's time to remind Boris that we the electorate took his promise of "do or die" very seriously.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Goddamn that Tony Blair article is bad, apart from the good quote.

He can't quite bring himself to say that Corbyn is terrible anymore, but now his argument is that a GE would be bad for both Tory AND Labour MPs and should therefore not be held. Instead, a referendum would solve things smoothly because then all the Tories can get behind Leave (meaning what?) and Remain (meaning what?). None of this is further spelled out.

Also, it's Tony, so always do the opposite of what he's saying.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's like three Taco Bells in Britain and one of the them is (was?) in the Manchester Arndale food court. Unfortunately they don't serve the insane sorts of things you get from American Taco Bells which are IMO the entire reason to eat at a Taco Bell and not at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place run by undocumented immigrants.

The UK just can't do Mexican food. There's a place called Wahaca, for poo poo's sake. It's spelled Oaxaca, pendejos.

UK's got good Burrito places. I like Tortilla and Bar Burrito. There's also Zapatista in Newcastle which is good and modeled after the Zapatistas.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chuka Umana posted:

But here is another reason why high streets suck. Instead of actually good fast food/fast casual restaurants we have loving Burger King and KFC.

Jeremy Corbyn should guarantee at least five quality restaurants per high street

five guys here is bullshit, a bacon cheeseburger is £10 and even with the dropping pound thats way too much. i mean theyre pricier than usual fast food in the us but not THAT pricey

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Weird fact about KFC - the Colonel's first restaurant was in North Corbin, Kentucky.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm not sure if it's still there, but if you go to Piccadilly Gardens when the markets are open there's an amazing arepa stand

e: Chilangos on Oxford Road is good too, they purposefully brought in spaniards to work there because they know how poo poo the Brits are at cooking

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 6, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Miftan posted:

UK's got good Burrito places. I like Tortilla and Bar Burrito. There's also Zapatista in Newcastle which is good and modeled after the Zapatistas.

maybe i just went to a bad one but the Tortillas i have been to around london ahve been poo poo. terribly seasoned meat, just flavourless. smdh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miftan posted:

UK's got good Burrito places.

Oh honey no. I know you mean well but don't ever say this to a Californian who lives ten miles from the border.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mahoning posted:

Do they have the whiteboard that says where the potatoes came from that day?

They do. Most of the time it's Netherlands for some reason (probably their extensive greenhouse farming).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gasmask posted:

EU gonna tell us to gently caress off lmbo

Ehhhhh probably not. At least with this GE they'd get an answer on hard leave vs. some kind of deal.

The real trouble's gonna be for Labour to define after the GE what exactly it does want its relationship with Europe to be. I mean, Marx willing, they'd be in power but that would mean they would actually need to spell out their desire for the outcome of the referendum. I still have no loving idea if that means hard remain or some kind of EEA/Norway business, but I can promise you it involves the freedom of movement ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Oh honey no. I know you mean well but don't ever say this to a Californian who lives ten miles from the border.

they have no idea

no god drat idea

its heartbreaking