Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThanosWasRight posted:

You guys do realize it's very easy to make tacos and burritos at home right?

I buy wraps because they keep longer than bread, and I choose to believe that putting a mixture of tinned mussels, mashed up prawn cocktail crisps, and cheese in them is very authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThanosWasRight posted:

You guys do realize it's very easy to make tacos and burritos at home right?
Johnson: If a 12 year old Mexican peasant girl can do it then I'm sure I can.
*three days later*
Johnson: There's been an accident, the kitchen's on fire, the fillings are everywhere, and my penis went in it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Junior G-man posted:

I love Mexican food but I've never found the real deal anywhere in Europe :( At it's best it's Tex-Mex slop like 'Autentico Mexico' crap you find on the shelves of a supermarket.

You can't even get the right spices and chilis in most places.

A taco chef lawyer in the lawyer thread told me about his carnitas recipe. I made it and holy gently caress that is not the crap we buy in the supermarket.

It was even better than lutefisk.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like those cheap taco kits you get in the box from Tescos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait. I know how we can resolve the brexit scenario.

Nice piece of fish posted:

A taco chef lawyer

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean the thing is, people love to hate on Taco Bell but nobody who goes there thinks it's some kind of authentic Mexican cuisine. We go because it's 3am, we're broke, and we're high.

e; My step-dad does a pretty loving fantastic enchilada tho.

Yeah it's a convenient and quick way to get a bunch of cheese and sort of spicy stuff into your face.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Every Brit and European I have met is super racist against Mexican food and also has never come within 6,500 km of it.

Taco Bell is the USA's fault, don't put that evil on Mexico.

I totally understand anti-:911: food prejudice because we export so much of our absolute worst stuff, that's on us.

There used to be a Mexican restaurant around the corner from me. It was run by an actual Mexican and his wife. His brother and brother's wife were the cooks. It was lovely stuff. Then the brother had a heart attack and they returned to Mexico :(.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bump_fn posted:

yes but every jar of "salsa" in a grocery store here is ketchup with some chopped onions mixed in. and the tortillas are like fifteen years old

So?

Buy flour, mix it with lard, salt, baking powder and water. Shape the dough into balls and roll it out into round circles, fry them.

Take tomatoes, bell peppers, any kind of hot pepper, cilantro, and put them all in a blender with salt and pepper and a bit of cumin, add lime juice and blend.

Marinate steak or chicken in a mix of lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, olive oil, and crushed garlic.

This ain't rocket science.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean the thing is, people love to hate on Taco Bell but nobody who goes there thinks it's some kind of authentic Mexican cuisine. We go because it's 3am, we're broke, and we're high.

Exactly. I buy Taco Bell occasionally because I want the experience of eating vaguely spiced ground beef in a shell that's been dusted with the stuff they put on Doritos chips. If I want actual tacos I go to one of the thousand or so Mexican restaurants within 5 miles of my home.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Benitos hat isn’t bad either, and people rave about daddy donkey burritos in Farringdon, but I still think £8-10 for a burrito is loving absurd.

Chilangos is poo poo.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThanosWasRight posted:

So?

Buy flour, mix it with lard, salt, baking powder and water. Shape the dough into balls and roll it out into round circles, fry them.

Take tomatoes, bell peppers, any kind of hot pepper, cilantro, and put them all in a blender with salt and pepper and a bit of cumin, add lime juice and blend.

Marinate steak or chicken in a mix of lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, olive oil, and crushed garlic.

This ain't rocket science.

yeah if i had all the time in the world i would happily do this and i do make my own salsa but i miss being able to go to a corner store and get fresh pico de gallo and tortillas and carnitas for basically zero money in chicago

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Some real loving jamie Olivers in here going oh it's so easy just make it yourself, gently caress you I don't have time or energy to pull an authentic mexican banquet out of my loving rear end in a top hat, I need to put food in my mouth during and after a day of drudging cubicle hell and I will do whatever is the quickest way to do it is. i will maybe maybe cook on weekends when i'm not filled with existential dread

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

A taco chef lawyer in the lawyer thread told me about his carnitas recipe. I made it and holy gently caress that is not the crap we buy in the supermarket.

It was even better than lutefisk.

Can you link to this? I'd love to try and make proper carnitas

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

We don't need Mexican food, we have Indian food.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just cheer up

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I would rather get my 1/2 pound Cheeseburger with some chips for 3.50 from the Kebab shop thank you very much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gorn Myson posted:

We don't need Mexican food, we have Indian food.

In California we have both.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Indian food is better in the UK

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
You can just about any ethnic food somewhere in Toronto, cooked by immigrants from there. Italian food in the UK is shite, incidentally.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is this the dreaded turbostalinist gulag purge of sensible centrists that the press was whining about all this time

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

pumpinglemma posted:

I mean, it would be fairly accurate if you recoloured the bottom half of the Tory side poo poo-brown.

A toilet diagram.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

yung lambic posted:

Can you link to this? I'd love to try and make proper carnitas

Sorry, it's lost way back in the old thread and I'm on my phone up a mountain. The basic gist was homemade spice, slow spice cooked pulled pork, ripped to shreds and then grilled in the oven on a sheat until the fats deep fried the meat on top and you got crispy, slow cooked pulled pork taco meat. Add garnish, mole of preference, lime on homemade pan fried wraps.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Deleter posted:

Some real loving jamie Olivers in here going oh it's so easy just make it yourself, gently caress you I don't have time or energy to pull an authentic mexican banquet out of my loving rear end in a top hat, I need to put food in my mouth during and after a day of drudging cubicle hell and I will do whatever is the quickest way to do it is. i will maybe maybe cook on weekends when i'm not filled with existential dread

Takes about 15 minutes mate, and most of that is just chopping stuff while the chicken/beef cooks.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

It almost certainly doesn't count as Mexican food, but the carnitas burritos from El Mexicana at the services at the bottom of the M40 is a banging guilty pleasure when going to/from the airport OP.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

You can just about any ethnic food somewhere in Toronto, cooked by immigrants from there. Italian food in the UK is shite, incidentally.

Italian pizza is shite full stop, I'd rather eat Dominoes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

serious gaylord posted:

Takes about 15 minutes mate, and most of that is just chopping stuff while the chicken/beef cooks.

look i am all in favor of people cooking more and relying on takeout and poo poo less but lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Private Speech posted:

They do. Most of the time it's Netherlands for some reason (probably their extensive greenhouse farming).

Who the gently caress grows potatoes in a greenhouse? The entire northern Netherlands essentially consists of potatoe and sugarbeet fields.

E: beaten like the UK farming sector after Brexit

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Seriously if you just go to tesco's there's a kit where you can make tacos and all you have to do is fry up some mince, add some powder to it and then whack the tacos in the microwave. I like them.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have tried a lot of Indian food across America and it is all poo poo. Every time I find an Indian restaurant in another country I get excited, wondering if it will be the one, but end up with a pile of greasy slop with too much fenugreek and cumin in, half a potato and over-boiled peas shoved into the meal like it's the 70s, chapattis that are just thick tortillas, onion bhajis that collapse into sad piles of oil. Pathetic.

Course, I know British Indian food isn't like authentic Indian food, but I like the range of Pakistan dishes here and the atmosphere of a good place. (Third Eye in Manchester is one of the best fwiw)

edit: and its coriander, not cilantro ;)

justcola fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 6, 2019

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Seriously if you just go to tesco's there's a kit where you can make tacos and all you have to do is fry up some mince, add some powder to it and then whack the tacos in the microwave. I like them.

Yeah this is what im talking about, gently caress making your own tacos.
Buy a spice mix and some stuff, make fajitas

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/timothyarchibal/status/1169995729022046210?s=20

Brextember is my favourite month.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

justcola posted:

I have tried a lot of Indian food across America and it is all poo poo. Every time I find an Indian restaurant in another country I get excited, wondering if it will be the one, but end up with a pile of greasy slop with too much fenugreek and cumin in, half a potato and over-boiled peas shoved into the meal like it's the 70s, chapattis that are just thick tortillas, onion bhajis that collapse into sad piles of oil. Pathetic.

Course, I know British Indian food isn't like authentic Indian food, but I like the range of Pakistan dishes here and the atmosphere of a good place. (Third Eye in Manchester is one of the best fwiw)

theres good indian food in any good major city in the states but you're less likely to pick one at random and find some really good stuff (and then the one good place you love will go out of business because all anyone wants to eat is fukn chicken tikka masala :cry:)

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Wahaca do some nice stuff if you can hold your nose and ignore the spelling. And their home taco kits are awesome.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rust Martialis posted:

Italian food in the UK is shite, incidentally.

You just need to find a proper, family run Italian restaurant, rather than the mid-market chains that do the pizza/ pasta/ pesto :effort: stuff.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Who the gently caress grows potatoes in a greenhouse? The entire northern Netherlands essentially consists of potatoe and sugarbeet fields.

E: beaten like the UK farming sector after Brexit

Yeah I didn't really think abput it, was a throwaway comment.

Was going to edit it but the thread's moving a bit fast these days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
woah what caused 230 posts

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Someone taking 4 hours to cook tomato pasta.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love Mexican/tex-mex, and I have a regular place I hit up for a chimichanga every time I go to the US. Taco Bell (while not even being vaguely authentic in any way) is also my jam, and I’m pretty happy to see them exploding across the UK over the last year. I think there’s at least 2 in London now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Jose posted:

foodchat

edit: the worst indian food I ever had was in Buenos Aires (atmosphere counts, nothing like 15 wasted travelers to ruin a meal) and the best mexican i've ever had is Mestizo in Euston.