Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, I for one will not be spending any more money at Adorama.

https://tinyurl.com/y6q8jkj3

OMG, an American retail company that treats contract workers like trash? Well, I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyone use the Nisi 100mm filter kit? Considering purchasing one for a trip to Banff next month.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Anyone use the Nisi 100mm filter kit? Considering purchasing one for a trip to Banff next month.

Yes, and when it was new it was pretty great because the market was pretty small. It currently does the job, but the other brands have caught up and there might be better (I think it's Lee that has a new design worth looking at). I probably wouldn't buy it if I was buying now.

Magnetic filters are the new hotness and that's what I'd recommend.

Unless you already have a bunch of 100mm filters, in which case the Nisi is as good as anything else out there.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

Magnetic filters are the new hotness and that's what I'd recommend.

Link?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uh there's a couple companies.. breakthrough filters is one I can remember.

https://breakthrough.photography

Oh and Kase:

https://kasefilters.com/product-category/wolverine-magnetic-circular-magnetic-filters

I think there's a third company out there doing this but I can't remember their name.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What's the advantage with magnetic filters over regular circular screw-on ones? They still need a screw-on filter holder to attach to right?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
one screw in magnetic holder then just swap the filter without needing to unscrew/rescrew, handy if you are doing video and have a variety of lighting environments.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!

Breakthrough is sold out of magnetic filters and don't even accept backorders.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I keep forgetting, is this the thread to post SA-mart links for my camera gear buyers remorse?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I keep forgetting, is this the thread to post SA-mart links for my camera gear buyers remorse?

sure!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh duh I see the buy/sell thread now!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm thinking about getting a gimbal for my Z6 and diving headfirst into videography. I got the bug while at a music festival in Croatia (Outlook Festival) recently and afterwards, seeing all the wicked-awesome video of crowds and DJs. Plus it's something I've wanted to do for a while and a big part of the reason I got the camera.

Thing is, last I checked the two big names (DJI and Zhiyun) still aren't fully compatible with the new Nikon cameras with their gimbals. Is this still true?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Z6 filmmaker's kit from Nikon comes with a Moza Air 2 gimbal., so I guess that one's compatible seeing as how Nikon are selling it in one of their bundles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any good sources for a lense mount for the kit 28-80mm Nikon? My camera bag fell off my shoulder and the mounts are gone now. I can get a new lense for like $45 but would prefer trying to fix it for $5-7 as it looks like most mount parts seem to be.

Most of what I see is for like the 18-55

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 14, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Man, I gotta stop ordering gear online and just go to the drat store. Vistek is a great company and their employees are super helpful in person, but I've had nothing but trouble with their online store. An order I placed two months ago didn't ship because one item was out of stock. When I asked about it they finally agreed to ship it without the one item - which they did promptly last Friday - and it arrived today missing like half the things on the invoice.

At least I have a SmallRig that I can't attach anything to now!!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So question.

My 28-80 kit died. I have also have a a 70-200 and a 50mm 1.8 prime.

I'm wondering if I replace my 28-80 kitblense or go 18-55 kit lens to get a bit more range in my focal lengths. Im general outside taking pictures but also do inside stuf like Christmas or video of kids playing it would be nice to have the wider aspect for the limited indoor video I take. but I'd lose out a touch of zoom when outside. The 80mm zoom is nice... Maybe I just for for both since they're dirt. cheap.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You might consider the generally well regarded sigma 17-50mm f2.8 as another option.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got some gear to get into videography.
- Atomos Ninja V monitor/external screen plus accessories like extra batteries, sun hood, etc.
- SmallRig cage and some attachments to get the monitor, my backup shotgun mic and grip attached to the Z6.

Next up is a gimbal, and some Timecode Systems products (and the AtomX Sync wireless TC module) to lock together my audio recorder, timecode slate and the camera. I also rented a fisheye lens and might take it out to get some footage of local skaters tomorrow afternoon.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is Adorama's 'used gear' department any good? I've only ever bought from B&H and KEH, but for once Adorama has a used item in stock that the other stores do not.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I've had good luck with them

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Adorama is very good with used stuff.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Edit: Wrong thread, my bad

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 22, 2019

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Looks for a travel tripod that won't break the bank, but super compact. Going to Japan I got some Cinestill 800t and wanna shoot some neon, long exposure stuff. Any suggestions?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Loathsome newbie here: I have seen several recommendations both on here and elsewhere online to pick up a Prime lens along with the regular lenses that came with my camera.

With that in mind, and the fact that the camera I'm using to learn the ropes is a 30+ year old Pentax K1000, I headed to Ye Olde Ebay and bought what was advertised as a "SMC Pentax 35mm F 3.5 MF Wide Angle Prime Lens".

It arrived, and it's in great condition, but I think I misunderstood what was being sold? I thought Prime lenses were fixed, like they don't zoom in and out, but this one definitely does.

So I was wondering if someone could recommend a Prime lens that would work with my K1000. Bonus points if it somehow also fits my digital Pentax K50.

This is what I got from ebay:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It's normal for the lens block to move in and out when you turn the focus ring and it looks a lot like zooming. Internal focusing is a relatively new gimmick on found on modern lenses.

The SMC 50mm f/1.7 is one of the finest lenses you can get in PK mount and it's cheap as chips to boot. The Pentax-A version would work perfectly on a digital Pentax camera as it has electrical contacts to tell the camera what it is. The Pentax-M would also work fine once you tell the camera what it is but you would only have aperture priority and manual mode as that lens lacks the 'A' setting on the aperture ring.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

It's normal for the lens block to move in and out when you turn the focus ring and it looks a lot like zooming. Internal focusing is a relatively new gimmick on found on modern lenses.

The SMC 50mm f/1.7 is one of the finest lenses you can get in PK mount and it's cheap as chips to boot. The Pentax-A version would work perfectly on a digital Pentax camera as it has electrical contacts to tell the camera what it is. The Pentax-M would also work fine once you tell the camera what it is but you would only have aperture priority and manual mode as that lens lacks the 'A' setting on the aperture ring.

Does this look like the correct one?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yep that's the one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

Yep that's the one.

Awesome! And it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the one I got from eBay (that one was $110)

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A faster 50mm is a good lens to have, but I probably would pick something else next if you just got a 35mm, as they are pretty similar focal lengths. I would recommend looking into a 135mm f2.8 or f3.5. Makes a decent portrait lens and there are lots of cheap options available.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fools Infinite posted:

A faster 50mm is a good lens to have, but I probably would pick something else next if you just got a 35mm, as they are pretty similar focal lengths. I would recommend looking into a 135mm f2.8 or f3.5. Makes a decent portrait lens and there are lots of cheap options available.

So the 135mm for portraits, and the 35mm (or 50mm) for general all around?

There's a 55mm f 2 at the Goodwill here for $25, no idea how it shoots but is that worth picking up? It's cheaper than the 50mm on Amazon.

E: f 2, not 1.2

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 23, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ASSTASTIC posted:

Looks for a travel tripod that won't break the bank, but super compact. Going to Japan I got some Cinestill 800t and wanna shoot some neon, long exposure stuff. Any suggestions?

I’ve got a MeFoto one that’s carbon fiber and good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ASSTASTIC posted:

I'd also be interested in recommendations, as I was planning on doing exactly this on my next Japan trip.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Annath posted:

So the 135mm for portraits, and the 35mm (or 50mm) for general all around?

There's a 55mm f 2 at the Goodwill here for $25, no idea how it shoots but is that worth picking up? It's cheaper than the 50mm on Amazon.

E: f 2, not 1.2
Yep, 35mm/50mm are good general use lenses. All the lenses will be more "zoomed in" on your digital body because the sensor is smaller than a piece of 35mm film. The 35mm lens on your k50 will be more like the 50mm on the k1000, a 50mm will be more like 75mm, and 135mm will be more like 200mm.

Whether that is a good deal depends on the condition. The rings should turn smoothly and the glass should be relatively clean. The piece of glass on the back matters more than the one on the front, some scuffs on the front don't matter too much. Old lenses probably have some dust inside.

There are a number of pentax k standard primes and they are mostly very good. You could also go for a more expensive 50mm f1.4. Any of them make a good short telephoto for portraits on your digital body too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the smaller mephoto tripods are pretty good

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Annath posted:

Pentax P0rn

God drat I love a K1000. It was my very first camera back in the day. I loved it so hard.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

XBenedict posted:

God drat I love a K1000. It was my very first camera back in the day. I loved it so hard.

I picked it up because I heard repeatedly that it's complete lack of any automation makes it great to learn on.

I wish I'd had it when I took Photojournalism in high school, I'd have learned a lot more and gotten more in the habit of using it.

I still learned a good deal, including how to develop my own (black and white) film, which I subsequently forgot in the intervening decade.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Annath posted:

It arrived, and it's in great condition, but I think I misunderstood what was being sold? I thought Prime lenses were fixed, like they don't zoom in and out, but this one definitely does.

So I was wondering if someone could recommend a Prime lens that would work with my K1000. Bonus points if it somehow also fits my digital Pentax K50.

This is what I got from ebay:

I know it was generally answered, but the "fixed" refers only to the field of view. That is, the picture isn't zoomed in or out, it's a fixed image.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Annath posted:

I picked it up because I heard repeatedly that it's complete lack of any automation makes it great to learn on.

I wish I'd had it when I took Photojournalism in high school, I'd have learned a lot more and gotten more in the habit of using it.

I still learned a good deal, including how to develop my own (black and white) film, which I subsequently forgot in the intervening decade.

It was the camera for my HS photography class. But that was in the late 80s, so it wasn’t as dated. It was a great camera to learn on. I miss being so selective with my shots.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

holocaust bloopers posted:

I’ve got a MeFoto one that’s carbon fiber and good.

Which tripod you got? The only CF one I see on Amazon is like $380.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Globetrotter one. It’s great. The tripod head is pretty good, and the legs break down to a monopod. You can also inverse the vertical pole for very low-angle shots.