Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TofuDiva posted:

The one thing is, if I suddenly had spiders everywhere, I would suspect that there is a food source they're finding in the house, and I'd drive myself batty trying to figure out what it is and where it is and whether it (not the spiders) is a problem.

If I had spiders suddenly appear everywhere, I’d assume the food source is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

If I had spiders suddenly appear everywhere, I’d assume the food source is me

Before I call you a bed bug; are you a NYT writer?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Before I call you a bed bug; are you a NYT writer?

I won't not say I am'nt

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

computer angel posted:

So you guys are telling me that when you turn on your faucet to get a drink in the middle of the night the stream isn't mostly spiders for a few seconds?

Gotta let the pipes clear, yeah.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Luckily in the UK spiders tend to congregate in the hot rat water tap and leave the drinking water alone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Luckily in the UK spiders tend to congregate in the hot rat water tap and leave the drinking water alone.

Rats drink cold water my dude

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I drink cold water but I still prefer the hot tub like all the other vermin.

E: oh you mean they've sipped the cold water

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think he means the tanks inside the ceilings of British homes which are used to supply hot water.

And is also usually an open vessel, so rats can climb/fall into it and drown.

Hence, hot rat water.

EDIT:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 6, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why the gently caress are they open

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Brits like Guinness

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think he means the tanks inside the ceilings of British homes which are used to supply hot water.

And is also usually an open vessel, so rats can climb/fall into it and drown.

Hence, hot rat water.

EDIT:

I was just joshin' him but I did assume it was an autocomplete error, you're probably right here. Though I'm British and I've never seen rando open containers used for this, always a sealed tank. Ergh. As if legionnaires' disease isn't enough to deal with already.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was just joshin' him but I did assume it was an autocomplete error, you're probably right here. Though I'm British and I've never seen rando open containers used for this, always a sealed tank. Ergh. As if legionnaires' disease isn't enough to deal with already.

Apparently, older homes did this. Every now and then a thread will derail about why mixer taps are more common in the US than the UK and the reason was to prevent cross contamination between clean cold water and the rat soup tank in the attic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weembles posted:

Apparently, older homes did this. Every now and then a thread will derail about why mixer taps are more common in the US than the UK and the reason was to prevent cross contamination between clean cold water and the rat soup tank in the attic.

This was still true with sealed hot water tanks due to the risk of cultivating legionella. Lots of homes have switched to combi boilers now so the hot water is on-demand, so most homes have also got mixer taps these days.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJqNpqCy2r0&t=11s

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

What is going on here?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What is going on here?

Lol same

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
railings should extend through the entire house and occupants swing around them from room to room like tree monkeys

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Those aren't railings. Pretty sure they're (water?) pipes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What is going on here?

looks like cow dividers maybe? converted dairy barn?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

Those aren't railings. Pretty sure they're (water?) pipes.

they are railings. they may be using some re-purposed INDUSTRIAL components, but they aren't joined like pipes that actually carry liquid

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bring back old gbs posted:

That’s exactly what it is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

That’s exactly what it is.

They're really wide so I'm guessing manual milking stalls, but the feed pit on the other side is kind of a giveaway.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Motronic posted:

They're really wide so I'm guessing manual milking stalls, but the feed pit on the other side is kind of a giveaway.

I don't care how much b-i-n they put on the walls, on hot days that room smells like cow and silage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bring back old gbs posted:

Thanks! I never would have guessed stall dividers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

beep-beep car is go posted:

I don't care how much b-i-n they put on the walls, on hot days that room smells like cow and silage.

Yeah... that desk looks like it's right on the poo poo trough

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-131914778

Just keep going through the photos, you'll know when you get there.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Senor Tron posted:

:wtc:

That was, uh, pretty out of left field.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Freaquency posted:

:wtc:

That was, uh, pretty out of left field.

"guarantee you will remember this property"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

My kind of place.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hint: if, like me, you assume you've found it when you get to the fourth picture with its water damaged wall, you're very, very wrong.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Do you guys usually put any artwork behind your TV? I just moved into a new house and all I have is the TV stand and the TV itself - I'm thinking of putting potted plants around it, but above it there will still be a huge empty space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange sky posted:

Do you guys usually put any artwork behind your TV? I just moved into a new house and all I have is the TV stand and the TV itself - I'm thinking of putting potted plants around it, but above it there will still be a huge empty space.

Comedy option: put a trellis over the TV and let something like a pothos climb over it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

That's just weird and creepy. United fans in Australia? Problematic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Brawnfire posted:

Why the gently caress are they open

I presume pressure, since hot water expands and in Ye Oldene Times proper safety valves and such weren't available.

Now, even so there are much smarter ways to do it, but I presume it's because of the loving British.

Also wrt combi boilers, delivering hot water "on demand" tends to produce much more limescale in anything that uses said hot water.

You avoid having filthy plague water in your tank just by sizing it properly, morons go for the biggest tank ever because "WHAT IF I RUN OUT OF HOT WATER?????" which is good, because if it's sized properly, you should have at least one zero-hot-water event as often as possible, like once a week ideally, because it's the heating of the water, the temperature change, that actually murders the bacteria.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

You avoid having filthy plague water in your tank just by sizing it properly, morons go for the biggest tank ever because "WHAT IF I RUN OUT OF HOT WATER?????" which is good, because if it's sized properly, you should have at least one zero-hot-water event as often as possible, like once a week ideally, because it's the heating of the water, the temperature change, that actually murders the bacteria.

Or you could just.....turn it up hot enough that the bacteria can't survive and install a mixing valve on the output. This seems like a much surer way to do it, which is why that's how it's generally done these days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Senor Tron posted:

I have questions

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

iospace posted:

I have questions

Yeah, the framed football jersey over the fireplace was some sheer WTF.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's just weird and creepy. United fans in Australia? Problematic.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Yeah, the framed football jersey over the fireplace was some sheer WTF.

Yep! (it's called a "strip", though)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

orange sky posted:

I suspect that that blank space is why there used to be a fashion for huge TV hutches with shelves above the box.

I like your idea of potted plants around it. You might find that that's enough, but in any case it is reversable, and it would fill things in a bit and give you time to live in the space before figuring out whether you want to do anything else with that wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Senor Tron posted:

:stonk:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yep! (it's called a "strip", though)

I thought strip was the whole kit. And why don't you post in the ray parlour with the other footie degenerates?