Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I knew I shouldn't have said something positive about Brad Meltzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Identity Crisis for Christmas! How thoughtful :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t believe they’re killing the Watcher again.

all part of perlmutters new initiative: make nick fury white again

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Given the FF-centric group of mourners, I assume it's Willie Lumpkin.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are those shoulder pads? I wonder if this is part of Ewing’s event.

My first guess is going to be Molecule Man.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Between Rikki in Future Fondation and Natasha in the new Black Widow, this was a good week for artists drawing women looking strong af.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The mystery is who was murdered. Just remove the sheet!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Between Rikki in Future Fondation and Natasha in the new Black Widow, this was a good week for artists drawing women looking strong af.

rikki is deffo julies new muscle wife, shes got definition that would give janethor a run for her money

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
house of x 4 spoilers

this is issue was in stark contrast to rosenbergs entire uncanny run in that it just killed off more people in its 30 pages than rosenberg did in all 20 some odd issues and yet im not mad about any of it because it all felt earned and not just deaths with no meaning other than wanting cheap shock value

of course theyll all be back by the end, but thats beside the point

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I forgot how much I like Savage Avengers until today :allears:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Soonmot posted:

:hellyeah:

I forgot to mention Web of Black Widow in my previous post, but Mooney went all in. She had a gorgeous dress too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

The mystery is who was murdered. Just remove the sheet!

After removing the sheet we will see that the body is Mysterio.
The lack of Fishbowl head is because his head has been removed.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s Peter Parker under the sheet because Marvel is doing the same thing to Sony it did to Fox with the FF. All Spider-Man books are cancelled until Disney can buy Sony. Mystery solved, where’s my No-Prize?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s Peter Parker under the sheet because Marvel is doing the same thing to Sony it did to Fox with the FF. All Spider-Man books are cancelled until Disney can buy Sony. Mystery solved, where’s my No-Prize?

Moving forward all Spiderman comics will be replaced with Spider Ma'am.

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1169931558314291200

I'm okay with it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Moving forward all Spiderman comics will be replaced with Spider Ma'am.

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1169931558314291200

I'm okay with it.
Oh thank god, if it's a new threat that means we don't have to suffer through another godawful Inheritors plotline. I remain hyped for Spider-Verse. Fingers crossed we get Houser back for a Spiderling-based issue!

And speaking of Spidered Mans, the previews for both ASM #29 and Black Cat #4.

I had no idea Reed played the Saxophone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked your short vulpes, esp the final dialogue bubble that was a good closer

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thank you, site (I'm assuming we're talking about Alpha Flight)! I never thought I'd have the chance to work with Alpha Flight, so it was a surprising treat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’d have found some excuse to have Black Cat go to Canada.

Has Squirrel Girl teamed up with Alpha Flight yet with her dual citizenship?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it's official: they unmasked Spider-Man in Civil War because they already had OMD planned.

I mean, we all knew it, but I think this is the first time it's been confirmed in writing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that bad? The unmasking never seemed like it was going to be the new forever status of Spider-Man. Probably better they knew how to put the genie back in the bottle before opening it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So it's official: they unmasked Spider-Man in Civil War because they already had OMD planned.

I mean, we all knew it, but I think this is the first time it's been confirmed in writing.

I saw this article going around earlier, but I'm 99% positive that Tom Brevoort explicitly said this years ago on his FormSpring..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

Is that bad? The unmasking never seemed like it was going to be the new forever status of Spider-Man. Probably better they knew how to put the genie back in the bottle before opening it.

Yes, because it means they had time to plan OMD, realize it was fuckin' dumb, and went with it anyways

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes, because it means they had time to plan OMD, realize it was fuckin' dumb, and went with it anyways

Made even more funny by how everybody involved claims they thought it was a terrible idea.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
One more day being stupid overshadows Civil War being stupid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yvonmukluk posted:

*hannibalburessthissucks.gif*

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

*hannibalburessthissucks.gif*

I also would have accepted the "Wack" still

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was literally over a decade ago

I find it physically impossible to get heated up about OMD anymore

e: okay no I actually take that back I do still find it funny in a haha-laugh-to-keep-from-crying way that JMS was the first person in like twenty years to make the peter/mary jane marriage not totally suck and then was the one who also put a bullet in it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't blame Marvel for unmarrying them, and totally get why they wanted to/see how it opens up other stories to tell, but I'll always think it's insane how exactly they chose to go about doing it. Sins Past is by far the worse arc though, even if it was easier to pretend it never happened after the fact.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinteres posted:

I don't blame Marvel for unmarrying them, and totally get why they wanted to/see how it opens up other stories to tell, but I'll always think it's insane how exactly they chose to go about doing it. Sins Past is by far the worse arc though, even if it was easier to pretend it never happened after the fact.

Originally Sins Past was going to be about Gwen and Peter's kids, which would have made more sense, but at the time Marvel wanted to claim Peter was a virgin until he married Mary Jane so that was shot down. Should have scrapped the whole plot at that point, but I'm not a writer who needs to produce a certain amount of comics every month in order to get paid.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

at the time Marvel wanted to claim Peter was a virgin until he married Mary Jane

Wait, seriously? That’s ridiculous lol. Was this stated in the comics or is it behind the scenes stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nemesis_hub posted:

Wait, seriously? That’s ridiculous lol. Was this stated in the comics or is it behind the scenes stuff?

Behind the scenes. It was also completely ridiculous because Spider-Man Blue doesn't explicitly say Peter and Gwen slept together, but heavily implies it, an it's one of the best Spider-Man stories and was published before Sins Past (I think).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sure he's a virgin and that was just 'web fluid'

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Originally Sins Past was going to be about Gwen and Peter's kids, which would have made more sense, but at the time Marvel wanted to claim Peter was a virgin until he married Mary Jane so that was shot down. Should have scrapped the whole plot at that point, but I'm not a writer who needs to produce a certain amount of comics every month in order to get paid.

To be fair, they also just didn't want to give him children (particularly adult children, even if they aged super fast) because part of the reason they wanted to kill the marriage was the idea that it made him seem too old. That's at least part of why divorce wasn't an option too, because it would make him seem more like a middle aged guy than a fresh faced youth. But yeah, there's no reason why they had to use the idea at all if it didn't work, and trying to shoehorn it in led to a terrible story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Behind the scenes. It was also completely ridiculous because Spider-Man Blue doesn't explicitly say Peter and Gwen slept together, but heavily implies it, an it's one of the best Spider-Man stories and was published before Sins Past (I think).

Also, um, pretty sure Peter and Felicia weren't just heavy petting on the rooftops.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Relevant:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Where are you getting the "wanted to claim Peter was a virgin until he married Mary Jane" thing from?

I know the exchange from post-OMD was this:

JMS in his letter washing his hands of OMD posted:

Spider-Man belongs to Marvel, not to me, and at the end of the day, however much I may disagree with things, and however much I may make it very CLEAR to all parties that I disagree, I have to honor their position.

In the Gwen storyline, yes, I wanted it to be Peter's kids, Joe over-rode that, which is his right as EIC. I got the flack for that decision, but them's the breaks.

Joe Quesada at CBR posted:

In my world, there was no way I could go forward with this story as is. For starters, you're talking to a guy that feels that a married Peter Parker isn't the healthiest thing for the franchise since it ages the character. There is no way on planet earth that I could let him to have kids, Marvel almost made that mistake several years ago. And there were further implications of the story that were out of my comfort zone. First, it was the dealing with the repercussions of Peter and Gwen having unprotected or careless sex out of wedlock. Second, it would be dealing with Peter having kids out of wedlock; while, of course, he wasn't aware of having had them, there was always the possibility that the media could spin it that way. But in the end, it was mostly the idea of Peter having kids that I just balked at.
Spider-Man very clearly (within the bounds of the CCA) had pre-marital sex with Mary Jane (back in the 1970s) and Black Cat (throughout the 1980s) and no one seems to have made any effort to retcon those. Quesada was EiC for Brand New Day where the unmarried Peter Parker even more explicitly hooked up with Black Cat and his cop roommate (and more recently, an unmarried Mary Jane again).

The big thing that comes up over and over in interviews with Quesada etc. is "aging" Peter, the "unprotected/careless sex out of wedlock" thing sounds more like a PR thing than a core character trait, emphasis on "unprotected/careless".

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Too young for marriage, somehow, but not too young to make a deal with the almost literal devil.

They could have just separated, like normal young people.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just make him poly and then he can both be married and date.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Just make him poly and then he can both be married and date.

That would actually be the best way to relate him to actual young people, but would also require someone under the age of 50 to be the writer on his main book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Young people being in poly relationships is waaaaay overstated.