Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

enraged_camel posted:

Liquid locks do look stupid, but making the powered doors block airflow would make the game too easy. Proper gas management is an integral part of the game and requires planning beyond simply putting down a basic door.

I would, however, be totally down for a space-tier "real-life" airlock that:

a) requires steel
b) has a powerful built-in l gas pump that consumes LOTS of power while active (perhaps equal to a metal refinery)
c) requires gas output
d) takes up more space (basically, two doors, with a gap in between for the pump)
e) takes more time for dupes to pass through

Basically, it would have some benefits (i.e. actually blocking gasses) but also trade-offs (high power usage, slowing dupes down considerably as the air in the chamber is pumped out until there is full vacuum). You could build it to seal off important rooms (e.g. natural gas chamber), but the tradeoffs would make it uneconomical to build it everywhere and trivialize gas management.

Actually the game already has an easier answer. Plonk down two Transit Tube Access one space apart, have a wall and a Transit Tube Crossing between, then connect the tubes. It's the ONI way. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Also there is a space tier airlock in the form of visco-gel, although it is just another version of the liquid lock.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I would, however, be totally down for a space-tier "real-life" airlock that:

a) requires steel
b) has a powerful built-in l gas pump that consumes LOTS of power while active (perhaps equal to a metal refinery)
c) requires gas output
d) takes up more space (basically, two doors, with a gap in between for the pump)
e) takes more time for dupes to pass through

You can pretty much build this out of existing machinery without needing a bunch of steel. It's fairly expensive too run and the automation takes some work to get right.

But then, having a perfect vacuum on one side is really useful so I'm okay with how much it slows things down. Worst part is all the idle messages when someone is inside waiting for the lock to restore a vacuum before they can go out.

I really like the transit tube solution once you have enough plastic, but it doesn't let you access hot environments like steam chambers because the tube melts at 150 :(

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Temperature-resistant plastic would be a nice magic space material.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

nrook posted:

Temperature-resistant plastic would be a nice magic space material.

I've considered something dumb like tempshift plates and a cooling loop and but at that point I think I'd be farther ahead to just build the whole airlock. Of course it probably still needs tempshift plates and a cooling loop probably? Can tempshift plates transfer heat to buildings in a vacuum?

Sadly I haven't been playing much because I'm old and a professional computer toucher and just can't put in all those extra hours at a computer anymore.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
220 hours in this game and I finally went into space for the first time, even launched a couple steam rockets.

Space is a pain in the rear end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sipher posted:

220 hours in this game and I finally went into space for the first time, even launched a couple steam rockets.

Space is a pain in the rear end.

I'm not a fan of the way the research tree is laid out for space. You need to get the second tier of engines to be able to do anything meaningful with the first tier of cargo hold, but unless you're using a calculator, you don't actually know that until you try using your steam engine + booster + hold and discover that it can't take you anywhere. So you're likely to waste the low-hanging research fruit on a cargo hold you can't use yet.

Really, the whole space system has a lot of communication problems. No way of knowing how far your rocket can take you until you've not only built it but filled it up too. Nothing tells you how a gantry is used or what its collision pattern is until you've got it built. You can't build a stage until the one below it is done, and for some reason only the gantry and cockpit cannot be built over drywall - I assembled a nice indoor launch tube for my rocket (so I could work on it without my duplicants needing suits) and then discovered if I wanted to finish it I needed to fill it full of vacuum!

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 4, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's my gripes with rocketry too. And that's after I figured out a consistent steam production system that'll automatically purge the pipes when the engine is full; my prior asteroid just repaired the leaky pipes as they suffered through state change. I can understand maybe having to lay down the engine first so the code doesn't go exponential trying to determine if a rocket is complete but all the other modules on top of that should be fine as plans. Them being 5 wide also is a bitch if you hadn't mined out the tiles first.

Vacuum's prolly better just to deal with heat, though. My early silo has some pretty gnarly 200C+ heat in the top gas layer, held there because of the drywall.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Trying to get space scanners working right now and that stuff is some badly designed dogshit. There is no way for you to realize all this crucial stuff ingame, basically follow a wiki article flawlessly or you have all sorts of problems:

quote:

Scan Quality is affected by its view of the sky as well as nearby machines. For maximum quality, the scanner must:
Have the center tile exposed to the sky (above the bottom left corner of the scanner). [+6.7%]
Have 13 to 15 tiles exposed to the sky on both sides in a V shape centered on the center tile, for a total of 28 tiles. This does not include tiles above the build limit. [+3.3% for each successive tile, up to 50% per side]
If building on the side of the map, there is a strange behavior due to the fact that the asteroid is round - a scanner built on the very left side of the map will have its quality reduced if there is a high pile of Regolith on the very right side of the map. This is however inconsistent with heavy machinery detection - you can build two scanners on both sides of the map (at the same height) and they will both have 100% scan quality.
Fit under the upper limit of the map (could fit 9 tiles between the scanner and no-build zone).
NOT have its view of the sky obstructed by tiles that do not allow airflow (this includes Window Tiles).
NOT have its view of the sky obstructed by certain amount of liquid or gas (mass limit varies depending on the elements; e.g. 31372 g of water or 1568 g of crude oil).
NOT have the center of any "heavy" machinery within 14 tiles of the scanner's center. (see list below)
The center of a building is usually the power socket, though it may vary for some buildings such as Conveyor Loaders.
If you build the scanner above the solar panels, you should be able to fit 12 tiles between the scanner and the solar panel.
If the center tile is blocked, Scan Quality will always result in 0%.
Scan Quality is NOT affected by:
Tiles that allow airflow (Airflow Tiles, Mesh Tiles, closed Pneumatic Doors & opened Airlocks).
Any tiles under the V shape view of the scanner.
Whether the scanner has the Space Exposure status or not.

not to mention all the tricky bullshit for cooling in vacuum or clearing all the regolith away

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like an update just hit. Sensors are more visibly red or green and the electrics view has a separate colour for circuits that aren't using any power. Patch notes here.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 4, 2019

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I have two scanners with a combined quality of like 7% and they've never missed

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

enraged_camel posted:

Liquid locks do look stupid, but making the powered doors block airflow would make the game too easy. Proper gas management is an integral part of the game and requires planning beyond simply putting down a basic door.

It's not like building a liquid lock is any harder, just requires more space and micromanagement

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sipher posted:

I have two scanners with a combined quality of like 7% and they've never missed

It's not a question of missing, a completely covered scanner will still detect all meteor showers, it's just that they'll detect them 1s before it starts. That doesn't give enough time for the bunker doors to close (45s when powered).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I think my pips are broken. There is one specific tile they beeline to every time I wrangle them to where I want my nature preserve, and if I block access to that they don't move from the critter drop off. Either way they don't seem to want to plant any of the nice seeds I have left right there.

Edit: I don't get it, there are no other plants nearby that would prevent them from planting.

So I wrangled them all, moved the drop off, restarted the game, dropped them off at the new drop off, and suddenly no problems with planting.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 5, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They will reach a point where all possible tiles where they're allowed to plant something are occupied, but they shouldn't just stay still and not move. There's a bug that I get from time to time where their pathing does seem to break and they just stop, reloading a save seems to restart all their pathing and make them work again.

Francis John's space construction tutorial, this explains all the inscrutable poo poo very clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1JtmQl4No

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

So I wrangled them all, moved the drop off, restarted the game, dropped them off at the new drop off, and suddenly no problems with planting.

If there is some kind of pathing problem with anything in the game, restarting is almost always the best fix.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Welp there went my game 400+ cycles down the drain because of a small update. It's criminal this game doesn't have a way to roll back due to an update.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I believe steam has that feature, pretty sure I saw the ability to select updates when I was trying out some betas.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Thanks man for the suggestion I checked but Oxygen not included doesn't have that setup in the beta section. It's probably for the best I really was playing this game too much. It really is hard to put down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

axelord posted:

Welp there went my game 400+ cycles down the drain because of a small update. It's criminal this game doesn't have a way to roll back due to an update.

What happened?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Update broke a lot of mods.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can wait a bit for the mod writers to update. usually what I do when mods get broke. Or i'll try another save I have sitting around that started doing a death spiral and see if I can pull it out.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

bird food bathtub posted:

I believe steam has that feature, pretty sure I saw the ability to select updates when I was trying out some betas.

The developer has to set that up, basically they can set up an "old stable" beta branch (or beta branches for specific builds of the game). Sadly the old public release (4130142) doesn't look to have a current depot, but it does look like they're setting up to patch again (the release and staging depots have both updated in the past day).

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I didn't know you could nest buildings. So dupes are funneled out of the barracks on the left, through the washroom, into the nature reserve, through the great hall, back through the nature reserve then on to work. Nice to see the "+Nature Reserve" buff for walking through two spaces. You only get buffed once, but it beats watching them bump over the uneven nature reserve floor.

Those manual airlocks were a accidental click. Should have been regular doors. Same difference when they're propped open.

[/URL]

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I started a new Rime map with the traits Geoactive, Slime Molds and Frozen Core, and it's kind of Vent Central:

- Four cool steam vents for a total of about 16kg/s
- Salt water geyser
- CO2 vent (hot)
- CO2 geyser (very cold)
- Natural gas vent

all right on top of your starting area

Seed is 1997787013

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 6, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For the longest time, I stupidly thought a cool steam vent output cool steam, like in the 40 celsius range. I've just now stopped and had a think and realised this is impossible. I've been wanting to find a cool steam vent cause I thought "awesome, a way to help cool down my base" and now I realise how much of a moron I was.

Sidenote: does anyone else constantly get distracted during projects? You start a new project, but constantly jump to doing other things, and then 80 cycles later, you realise you've barely started what you initially set out to do, but now you've got a brand spanking new refinery section, power section, tonnes of O2 production, etc?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Qubee posted:

For the longest time, I stupidly thought a cool steam vent output cool steam, like in the 40 celsius range. I've just now stopped and had a think and realised this is impossible. I've been wanting to find a cool steam vent cause I thought "awesome, a way to help cool down my base" and now I realise how much of a moron I was.

For the reverse you have carbon dioxide geysers, which output "boiling liquid carbon dioxide" (ie -55C carbon dioxide).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's made me realise how important geysers can be for bases that you want to run for hundreds of cycles. Do ice biomes always stay cold? Because I pump so much heat through radiant pipes through them, but the background tiles always stay below 0c. Will this also be the same for hotter biomes, will I ever be able to cool them down?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Qubee posted:

Do ice biomes always stay cold?

Nope, nothing about the biome area itself causes it to stay cool aside from the minor effect of any wheezeworts sitting around. You can eventually equalize the temperature across the whole map if you let heat flow around enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically you could have 40C steam it would just have to be in a vacuum.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Technically you could have 40C steam it would just have to be in a vacuum.

Does that work in the game? Pressure doesn't seem to affect phase changes and I always felt like it should.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unfortunately, no

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Would be cool if it did but nope. Though I do feel the game engine would probably implode if they tried to add it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If they do nuclear stuff like we've seen hints of I hope they add some basic form of pressure. Steam loops in nuclear reactors are extremely reliant on pressure to function IIRC. Have water/steam transitions in the coolant piping would get really annoying for that, since it shouldn't require petro.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mazz posted:

If they do nuclear stuff like we've seen hints of I hope they add some basic form of pressure. Steam loops in nuclear reactors are extremely reliant on pressure to function IIRC. Have water/steam transitions in the coolant piping would get really annoying for that, since it shouldn't require petro.

Is there a list of stuff they have hinted at for the dlc?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
What are good things to automate? I'm at cycle 400, in space with petroleum engines, 20 dupes, things are steady. How do I reduce my dupes chores? I've automated a few things, like space doors, rocket launches, and some gas management but havne't ventured beyond.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sipher posted:

What are good things to automate? I'm at cycle 400, in space with petroleum engines, 20 dupes, things are steady. How do I reduce my dupes chores? I've automated a few things, like space doors, rocket launches, and some gas management but havne't ventured beyond.

Your most predictable sources of solid materials are the greenhouses and the ranches so they're good candidates.

I have sweeper arms feeding my mushrooms and waterweeds, and I set up a shipping chain from my greenhouses to my kitchen, with two more sweeper arms managing the chain from ingredients fridge -> grill -> gas range -> meals fridge. All the duplicants need to do is the cooking.

Automating the management of your critters can be good as well if you come up with a good plan for them. Pokeshells can be especially good candidates for this as they have difficult behaviour when they're near their eggs.

On a simpler level, if you're got any solid resources being produced in out-of-the-way locations (for heat management purposes, or space stuff) you can cut down on travel times by setting up a system to transport them to somewhere more central.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 7, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even without shipping, sweeper arms can be super useful. Have a storage container of sand next to wherever you have a water sieve, and then have a compost pile nearby. If all three are in range one sweeper will pull sand, put it in the sieve, pick up polluted dirt and put it in the compost pile, all automatically. It simplifies all the chores related to that chain of events down to "deliver sand" and "turn the compost". Or delivering resources to plants, (note that this is the basic resources, slime for mushrooms, phosphorite for pincha and so on, not fertilizer that comes from a fertilizing station) an entire room full of plants can have the base resources delivered to them the moment they're required. No delays for your farmer sleeping, or having to run halfway across the map. Mushroom needs slime? It gets slime, immediately.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Another thing about compost, if you put a small amount of liquid down, like under 100kg, it will stop the compost from offgassing without flooding it. Keeps you from having to build/supply a purifier there (or offgassing PO2 into a chlorine clean room which is my actual usage)m

Hamelekim posted:

Is there a list of stuff they have hinted at for the dlc?

No but people have found nuke stuff in the files. Whether that’s a failed idea or DLC material is unknown.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

you can also use conveyors to dump it all into a little box and just ignore the outgassing forever.