Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i think Bill really doesn't get enough credit for what a performer he was. there are people that like to pretend any jacked football player could have got over in the Goldberg spot doing 40 second squashes but I don't believe that for a second. you can't teach the intensity and charisma that bill had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Low Desert Punk posted:

i think Bill really doesn't get enough credit for what a performer he was. there are people that like to pretend any jacked football player could have got over in the Goldberg spot doing 40 second squashes but I don't believe that for a second. you can't teach the intensity and charisma that bill had.

WWE flat out tried it with Ryback, but he didn't have it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I legit liked the cornfed meathead skip sheffield more than I did ryback

But yeah Goldberg was the right guy with the right gimmick at the right time and it all fell into place until they ruined him

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tweak posted:

god those old wcw crowds were something else

hard to remember when crowds actually gave a poo poo about the wrestlers

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

People always say that, but then it's never worked with anybody else they try it with

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ryback couldn't even walk down the ramp without stumbling, I'm not sure what they were going for.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Ryback was really, really over. He popped a big buyrate for his title match at Hell in a Cell and the guy was charismatic as gently caress, even if he was sloppy. The way he looked, the way he carried himself, he always stood out as different from everyone else. Not anywhere near Goldberg’s level, but he still had it.

The Goldberg booking worked until they stopped doing it. Then they gave him a bunch of losses against Punk, the Shield, and a totally pointless loss to Mark Henry, which killed him.

Imagine if the Giant had beat Goldberg in the middle of the card.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah he looked like a shaved troll.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

coconono posted:

Ryback couldn't even walk down the ramp without stumbling, I'm not sure what they were going for.

that entire fiasco proved that Vince just fundamentally couldn't understand what Goldberg was. I think in his head, goldberg exclusively got over through size and strength, which was a big part of it but not the point. goldberg was loving YOKED but he still looked like a legitimate athlete and he had credibility, ryback looked like a loving joke.

also because half the WWE audience had seen Ryback farting around in NXT with a cowboy hat saying "yup yup yup what it do"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

coconono posted:

yeah he looked like a shaved troll.

Would you not pay to see a shaved troll kill a bunch of jobbers

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Would you not pay to see a shaved troll kill a bunch of jobbers

I do not condone troll abuse. Do not shave trolls. Its like stealing the pope's funny hat. Not allowed.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Goldberg's charm was his utter explosiveness. He turned murdering jobbers into an art form.
Ryback didn't have half of that. And even then he wasn't a total bust. Initially.

Of course, that was one of Goldberg's long-term problems.
Eventually you have to do things other than murder jobbers. And WCW political bullshit aside you can't go treating other main eventers like they're Lodi.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 6, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When they first debuted him, Goldberg looked like he was gonna be another Glacier, where they'd run out of ideas in a few weeks for him. Then he'd be Just A Guy. But the fans really got into Goldberg's one man LOD act.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

When they first debuted him, Goldberg looked like he was gonna be another Glacier, where they'd run out of ideas in a few weeks for him. Then he'd be Just A Guy. But the fans really got into Goldberg's one man LOD act.

No he didn't. Not at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

No he didn't. Not at all.

1st two matches of Glacier vs 1st two match of goldberg, letes watch em

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I mean Goldberg's debut had him doing collar elbow tieups and hammerlocks and attempting to grapple with Hugh Morrus so I think it's conceivable that WCW could have hosed him up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ryback would be a fine steady midcarder but he got a little over pushed because the roster was looking pretty thin.

He also felt a lot goofier than Goldberg though that’s partly the WWE writing style.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i went to a smackdown taping early in his run and that's when i found out it was just a pyro noise and not pyro and that's when he lost me forever

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL7DCyPQ1g0

Wayne's got the moves. Can see why Missy Hyatt was with him at the time.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

He also felt a lot goofier than Goldberg though that’s partly the WWE writing style.

ALL SHOOK UP, ALL SHOOK UP ♫

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I remember Goldberg being pushed as a huge deal from the very start but I have a lot of rose tinted memories about WCW so

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

ryback was a caricature of a WWE babyface. Which might have been a fun angle to go with but they played it straight

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ryback is just more proof that when WWE gets something over, they have to prove that it had nothing to do with the performer by ruining them immediately, so instead of spending the money they found, they light it the gently caress on fire.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

extremely early goldberg was a show don't tell type of big deal. like an actual monster rookie in a real sport immediately dominating and starting to get famous. it escalated within a couple months

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i still remember schiavone or whoever talking about presumably the nWo or just anything but goldberg's debut match, then deadpan and almost as an aside going, "and well there's the (hugh morris... flip? shooting star press?) one, two, th- well now wait just a minute!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tweak posted:

i still remember schiavone or whoever talking about presumably the nWo or just anything but goldberg's debut match, then deadpan and almost as an aside going, "and well there's the (hugh morris... flip? shooting star press?) one, two, th- well now wait just a minute!"

c'mon there's like, two notable things about Hugh Morrus and one of them is that he did a moonsault

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

but what was its dumb name

e: no laughing matter? i thought it was more punny than that

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goldberg was so over that in loving 2000 when everything was terrible, the fans still completely adored Goldberg.

You can look at every wrestler WCW pushed after Goldberg lost the title, and literally all of them were moronic choices over Goldberg.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Goldberg was so over that in loving 2000 when everything was terrible, the fans still completely adored Goldberg.

You can look at every wrestler WCW pushed after Goldberg lost the title, and literally all of them were moronic choices over Goldberg.

with competent booking, Goldberg could have saved the company, probably. Not in 2000, probably, but a bit earlier.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it's similar to the Savage/Steamboat match where it was meticulously plotted out, but just like that match it doesn't matter because it loving owned: The Goldberg vs DDP match was incredible and was the first time I realized Goldberg wasn't just an (incredibly exciting) explosive squash machine but one hell of an athlete as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I know it's similar to the Savage/Steamboat match where it was meticulously plotted out, but just like that match it doesn't matter because it loving owned: The Goldberg vs DDP match was incredible and was the first time I realized Goldberg wasn't just an (incredibly exciting) explosive squash machine but one hell of an athlete as well.

The reversal of the Jackhammer into the Cutter is perfection. The execution, the reaction of the crowd, the call by Tony. Everything.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

It also had goldbergs best entrance. Everything about it was just epically done maybe one of the last truely great wcw moments for like actual good content and not good because its so crazy and dumb like ITS THE WALL BROTHER.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ndIhkA_ss

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even then they managed to gently caress it up for a lot of people by one of the cable carriers cutting off the end of the match because they hadn't organized for the overrun :sigh:

From memory they did replay the entire thing the next night on Nitro at least.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I remember Goldberg's match with Regal being pretty good, I haven't watched it in a while to see if it holds up. Regal could carry a rotten potato to at least a 4* match so probably.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, which was i think the only time the UK got a wcw ppv match shown.

Not sure they were ever carried. Hell at the time the wwe ones were "free" with a sky sports subscription.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I remember Goldberg's match with Regal being pretty good, I haven't watched it in a while to see if it holds up. Regal could carry a rotten potato to at least a 4* match so probably.

The Raven and Saturn singles matches, also

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Even then they managed to gently caress it up for a lot of people by one of the cable carriers cutting off the end of the match because they hadn't organized for the overrun :sigh:

Back then, my parents wouldn't buy the PPV's so that was the first PPV match I ever watched. So I was pretty happy they messed up the PPV. I was also a huge DDP mark, so I was super hyped about seeing a match with my two favorite wrestlers at the time.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You mean the one where Regal decided to work stiff on Goldberg and got himself run out of the company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Back then, my parents wouldn't buy the PPV's so that was the first PPV match I ever watched. So I was pretty happy they messed up the PPV. I was also a huge DDP mark, so I was super hyped about seeing a match with my two favorite wrestlers at the time.

You mean the one where Regal decided to work stiff on Goldberg and got himself run out of the company?

That story isn't true.