Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Brightman posted:

It's like a decent chunk in the middle of part 2 is Minh talking about his grandfather.

I think the Fire Emblem and other LPs have suffered from Woolie having both Reggie and Minh there and them for some reason deciding to talk the entire time. I only watched a bit of the 19xx LP because it didn't have subtitles and was essentially worthless as a result of them not shutting up. When there's subtitles, fine, but with Three Houses the constant chatter increases the LP Tax significantly, part 2 starts with Woolie confused about the protag being a professor and not a student despite them going over that quite a bit prior, and also he thought they were adopted cause he mistook them talking about the mom's death as it being the actual blood related kid's death or something.

Also I think one of them corrected him about the recreation aspect and how it was actually super emphasized back then because you might die soon, so enjoy life while you can. If it wasn't Reggie or Minh it might've been a comment, it sorta blurs together for me at this point.

His stuff with Reggie has been fine, Minh is Minh.

Going purely as a viewer... Woolie has drilled into his head that dead time on LP is a mortal sin, and you can feel him being in "fill dead time" constantly as a result - even when stuff is happening and there's no dead time to fill. That is to the detriment of text/dialogue-heavy LPs because his mind is (naturally!) focused on the conversation he is having himself and doesn't internalise information given by the game. The only way to really mitigate this is to have at least one person that is actually familiar with the game there. FFX with Matt didn't work for this reason, because while Matt had played some of it before, it was too little and too long ago, so it was practically a fresh experience. The RE2 remake playthrough with Pat works because Pat practically knows that game inside-out, so there's no danger of getting stuck for a full episode because a detail about a puzzle was forgotten. The DMC games worked because the story takes a back seat to the gameplay (as well as it being home turf).

I get why he's doing it and it's a shame, I don't think his video content would suffer from any real decrease in quality if he was willing to have a conversation with the game rather than around the game more, even if it meant letting himself (and the viewers) focus on the text on screen more. From the times he's talked about it on podcasts and stuff, I think he understands that, but is wary of shaking off the habit in case the end result is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think Woolie can internalize stuff when LPing in the first place. He constantly admits it takes him a while to let things sink in even when watching things privately.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
All of this Woolie Fire Emblem talk just reminds me of something he said 2-3 weeks ago on the podcast about how he had to play the game with a sheet of paper telling him what the weapon triangle was. And then Pat had to tell Woolie that the weapon triangle wasn't in the game. If the weapon triangle was in FE# and he had people screaming at him all game about it......... how could he not remember it enough that he'd need to keep a cheat sheet next to him? It's just rock paper scissors.

Also Pat on this week's podcast about Astral Chain.... "They are literally just stands! There's no difference between them and stands at all, this time it is literally just literal stands!" Woolie: "They are born from people's personalities?" Pat: "No. They are violently enslaved against their will and it is terrible. .... Also they are literally evangelions! The intro scene was almost shot for shot Evangelion with this Gendo Ikari motherfucker!"

Pat I think this is why people won't believe you when you say "literally just stands" to describe something...... Also the season / storyline of JoJo that introduced stands went beyond "simple straight forward weapons" while the game has which is like.... sword....gun...dog.... and maybe one or two more? Literal stands!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did they talk about the Alec Holowka shitshow or did they somehow manage to dodge that particular vortex of suffering on this week's podcast

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

They work more like legions from Chaos Legion which is funny considering that yeah, the big sword and punch ghosts in Astral Chain are also called Legions and are chained down and captured much like they are in Chaos Legion. It's wild how there are two separate games this year that had stuff that reminded me of that game, also feels a little weird with how aware Pat and Woolie are of Capcom's catalog of weird rear end games that they never heard of Chaos Legion since it's also rather DMCesque, but hey.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Did they talk about the Alec Holowka shitshow or did they somehow manage to dodge that particular vortex of suffering on this week's podcast

They did not talk about it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

They work more like legions from Chaos Legion which is funny considering that yeah, the big sword and punch ghosts in Astral Chain are also called Legions and are chained down and captured much like they are in Chaos Legion. It's wild how there are two separate games this year that had stuff that reminded me of that game, also feels a little weird with how aware Pat and Woolie are of Capcom's catalog of weird rear end games that they never heard of Chaos Legion since it's also rather DMCesque, but hey.

They've mentioned Chaos Legion, but just saying it's poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think Woolie will ever in his life ever figure out why people object to his negative stuff more than Pat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Chaos Legion was a meme in Pat's chat, as in "no way I'm playing that game ever", stop he's familiar.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Whenever Pat says "blank is literally blank" it usually means that it's only kind of similar.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DEADLY PREMONITION 2!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

DEADLY PREMONITION 2!

I was here watching a soccer match and kinda ignoring the direct and then i see "deadly premonition 2"

what

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dias posted:

I was here watching a soccer match and kinda ignoring the direct and then i see "deadly premonition 2"

what

THE LEGEND OF THE WILD WOLF RUNS AGAIN IN SMASH ULTIMATE

AND FUCKIGN FRANCIS YORK MORGAN IS BACK

What a direct.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Francis York Morgan looks into his coffee and sees the Smash logo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Francis York Morgan looks into his coffee and sees the Smash logo.

Good thing you can be smelly in Deadly Premonition.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Premonition 2 also takes place in Boston. Is it going to tie into D4 too? The apartment in that trailer kind of looks like David's.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can't believe these boys' dead gamer channel has brought to life Metal Wolf Chaos XD and Deadly Premonitions 2

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't believe these boys' dead gamer channel has brought to life Metal Wolf Chaos XD and Deadly Premonitions 2

Just like Liam sacrificed himself to bring Nier: Automata into existence. Matt and Pat did so bring these into fruition.

Woolie just forced himself into as many fighting games as possible.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Matt being the happiest boy for basically the entire direct made me the happiest :3:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpinelessFlirtyClintmullinsOneHand

FACES THE FURY!!!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 5, 2019

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It will never stop

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1169687427440676864

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQyRPHYc1ss&t=1145s

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wish Woolie wouldn't take criticism from dumb assholes to heart so much

hearing him debate Astral Chain because people were dumb about FIre Emblem was sad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wish Woolie wouldn't take criticism from dumb assholes to heart so much

hearing him debate Astral Chain because people were dumb about FIre Emblem was sad

there is a vast gulf of difference between Woolie playing a game he's excited for in a genre he's good at and Woolie very clearly making GBS threads out three videos for a game he doesn't care about but it's hot right now and he needs those views.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My take is, if you don't like the vids don't watch all three episodes and then complain directly to the creator on twitter that they didnt pay proper respect to your anime game

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean if you really phone in videos, criticism is pretty valid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I mean if you really phone in videos, criticism is pretty valid.

One of the unhealthiest aspects of our modern internet media culture is the belief that every viewer has the right to directly respond to a creator's works instead of just choosing to not view it

EDIT: This is not arguing you cannot comment on a work. Its just that we seem to have forgotten that a creator's perogative is to seek out criticism from those they wish to receive criticism from, it is not every viewers perogative to obligate a creator with their opinion

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 7, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the unhealthiest aspects of our modern internet media culture is the belief that every viewer has the right to directly respond to a creator's works instead of just choosing to not view it

EDIT: This is not arguing you cannot comment on a work. Its just that we seem to have forgotten that a creator's perogative is to seek out criticism from those they wish to receive criticism from, it is not every viewers perogative to obligate a creator with their opinion

How would they know not to view it until they watched it?

This is a really bizarre take because now you're just saying people aren't allowed to criticize things. You're saying that you're not "arguing you cannot comment on a work", but I don't see how that fits in with the rest of the argument because you follow that up with saying people shouldn't "obligate a creator with their opinion" and I don't know what that means if not "don't comment about it anywhere visible or publicly". It's not as if without twitter Woolie would be unaware that the videos were poorly received.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

It's not as if without twitter Woolie would be unaware that the videos were poorly received.

Thats his perogative to find out. Tweeting directly at a creator that a thing they made is bad is arrogant and self-defeating.

the accessibility of social media has rendered the viewer ignorant of his own insignificance

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Considering it's the viewer who is giving woolie the attention and clicks to sustain his channel I think it's pretty safe to say they're significant and their opinion matters to him

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If they are insignificant Woolie can just ignore them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

If they are insignificant Woolie can just ignore them

Well sure thats good advice if you are helplessly ignorant of psychology on a fundamental level

Captain Baal posted:

Considering it's the viewer who is giving woolie the attention and clicks to sustain his channel I think it's pretty safe to say they're significant and their opinion matters to him

Woolie has 150,000 subscribers and is not obligated to give time to the opinions of 150,000 different people

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Woolie has 150,000 subscribers and is not obligated to give time to the opinions of 150,000 different people

Good thing nobody forces him to

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

Good thing nobody forces him to

I am not sure how tweeting angry comments about how your video sucked is not forcing someone to pay attention to your opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure how tweeting angry comments about how your video sucked is not forcing someone to pay attention to your opinion

Do you read email spam?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you are making a living off of a youtube channel it's a generally good idea to not put out content your audience hates.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

Do you read email spam as well?

You really don't have the slightest idea about human psychology do you

Blockhouse posted:

If you are making a living off of a youtube channel it's a generally good idea to not put out content your audience hates.

That doesnt really have anything to do with the point. Besides, there are other ways to tell if something is unpopular other than angry unsolicited messages

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You really don't have the slightest idea about human psychology do you

I take it that's a yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That doesnt really have anything to do with the point. Besides, there are other ways to tell if something is unpopular other than angry unsolicited messages

I think the youtubers will survive a few tweets

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

I take it that's a yes

I mean I realize I am arguing with a person who is somewhere on the spectrum of zero empathy to total socipathy so I know I cannot necessarily convince you that people are not machines that can turn off their feelings when they get spammed with criticism

Andrast posted:

I think the youtubers will survive a few tweets

I am sorry that your lack of human empathy is so great that you feel people deserve to be harassed for daring to try and entertain you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If people don't want to get harassed they shouldnt try to create free entertainment for you - andrast

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)