Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dick Trauma posted:

Why upgrade, or why the upgrade delay?

The delay. I get wanting to wait for a point release or something but why a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's a secondary machine, home to just email and my photos. I have not used a Mac as my primary machine at home or at work since around 2009. I have made almost no use of OS X's "cool" features since it was released so there's not much benefit to timely upgrades.

So I upgrade now and then to stay current, at least until this MBP dies and brings my decades of Mac ownership to a close. I won't be replacing it with another Mac.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Sad Panda posted:

I've still got High Sierra on my 2013. I'll get round to Mojave one day, but there are pieces of software I use that don't have a 64bit version so I might not go for Catalina. The reason I've not yet updated to Mojave is that having put in my own SSD I think I have to put in my original SSD to do the upgrade right? More effort than getting dark mode is worth.

You do not have to put in the original SSD.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Based on the Catalina latest public beta, they may have FINALLY fixed the Messages/soagent resource hog bug. Namely, I don't even see soagent as a process anymore, and have had no major issues since upgrading last week. Previously, I couldn't go a few days without the insane CPU usage killing the machine without killing the processes or a reboot.

Praying it stays this way. This was the biggest thing likely to drive me to a PC laptop.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cozmosis posted:

Based on the Catalina latest public beta, they may have FINALLY fixed the Messages/soagent resource hog bug. Namely, I don't even see soagent as a process anymore, and have had no major issues since upgrading last week. Previously, I couldn't go a few days without the insane CPU usage killing the machine without killing the processes or a reboot.

Praying it stays this way. This was the biggest thing likely to drive me to a PC laptop.

I think I can confirm this one. It was pretty serious and would make the machine unusable. Haven't had it since update.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You would have bought a PC because the beta OS was buggy?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

FCKGW posted:

You would have bought a PC because the beta OS was buggy?

No, it’s been a huge problem since at least High Sierra. I think he was saying that if it weren’t fixed in Catalina it’d be a dealbreaker for him.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Lawen posted:

No, it’s been a huge problem since at least High Sierra. I think he was saying that if it weren’t fixed in Catalina it’d be a dealbreaker for him.

Yes - it’s been going on for years across multiple MacBook devices. And it finally appears to be fixed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
that one and also the one where the photos agent goes nuts and pegs the cpu until killed

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I do a fresh reformat and re-install to upgrade to Mojave, can I use Time Capsule to restore my files?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mad Wack posted:

that one and also the one where the photos agent goes nuts and pegs the cpu until killed

photos just being open, even backgrounded/minimized, pegs the GPU as well (thanks iStat menus)

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

If I do a fresh reformat and re-install to upgrade to Mojave, can I use Time Capsule to restore my files?

In my experience, Migration Assistant will handle Time Machine backups (including on a Time Capsule), but it’ll be slow as hell and there’s a nonzero chance of it erroring out.

My opinion: clone your existing drive to an external, wipe and do a fresh install, then use migration assistant to pull your files from the external. It’ll go much faster and be much more reliable.

Disclaimer: I haven’t had to do this for a couple years, so I haven’t done it with Mojave.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have been using JustLooking for browsing pictures forever but it hasn't been updated in forever and likely won't be supported by MacOS anymore soon. Any suggestions for an alternative?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Djarum posted:

I have been using JustLooking for browsing pictures forever but it hasn't been updated in forever and likely won't be supported by MacOS anymore soon. Any suggestions for an alternative?

Is there something about Preview that offends?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Spect? One of the founders of Panic made it for viewing images.

https://www.macstories.net/reviews/spect-simple-image-management-on-the-mac/

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

XBenedict posted:

Is there something about Preview that offends?

It has issues with certain formats or else I'd be fine with it.

Violator posted:

Spect? One of the founders of Panic made it for viewing images.

https://www.macstories.net/reviews/spect-simple-image-management-on-the-mac/

That might be an option.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apple Music launches a web player and reddit is losing their minds about it. What am I missing? Not having to use iTunes to listen to/interact with Apple Music and your library?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enojy posted:

What am I missing? Not having to use iTunes to listen to/interact with Apple Music and your library?

Yes.

Also being able to use it on any PC / Mac. I'm using it now and all of my playlists are there and I can see my library.

It is pretty good so far.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

Yes.

Also being able to use it on any PC / Mac. I'm using it now and all of my playlists are there and I can see my library.

It is pretty good so far.

Gotcha. I can definitely understand non-macOS users especially enjoying this. I don't subscribe to AM so my forced iTunes exposure is minimal.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

enojy posted:

Apple Music launches a web player and reddit is losing their minds about it. What am I missing? Not having to use iTunes to listen to/interact with Apple Music and your library?

This might make Apple Music usable.

Edit: Upon review, no, it does not.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 6, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there one android emulator that works better vs the others?

Should I just use bluestacks?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just signed up for 6 months of Apple Music for free as a student, mainly because I really wanted to mess with Shortcuts that trigger specific songs and playlists, so I guess I'll try it.

I've been a premium Spotify user since day 1, but their lack of support for new iOS features like Shortcuts and WatchOS is really frustrating.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

XBenedict posted:

This might make Apple Music usable.

Edit: Upon review, no, it does not.

Gosh, how high is the bar?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I heard "reddit is losing their minds" and after realizing it meant "in happiness" I thought about how long it's been since an Apple software announcement was cause for giddy celebration

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I signed in and then iTunes popped up saying it couldn't verify the server.

"The certificate for this server is invalid."

Slight fail.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

Gosh, how high is the bar?

I mean, congratulations to Apple for catching up to 2010, but Apple Music still lacks decent discovery, decent curation, and better than cassette sound quality.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like it. Anything to keep me from launching iTunes is a step in the right direction.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

XBenedict posted:

I mean, congratulations to Apple for catching up to 2010, but Apple Music still lacks decent discovery, decent curation, and better than cassette sound quality.

Lots of spicy hot takes here.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XBenedict posted:

256 kbps AAC is better than 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis on Spotify.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

256 kbps AAC is better than 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis on Spotify.

I don’t disagree. I think I would best like a combination of Apples clean interface, Qobuz’s sound quality, and Spotify’s discovery and catalogue.

But then that’s a loving pipe dream isn’t it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don’t know if it does count as Mac software but the upcoming keynote is going to be streamed on YouTube, so it’s no longer scorched earth policy for google services? Are they going to use it as an embed on the website and keep the apple cdn for ATV usage only?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

scorched earth would've been not enabling youtube's "pay us money to run audio in the background" scheme on iOS

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It sounds like Apple might knock it out of the park on Tuesday:

• iPhone and iPad Updates
  • Apple Watch Refresh/Update (OLED display, titanium and ceramic options, sleep tracking, better battery life)
  • iMac Update (Minor speed bumps?)
  • 16" MacBook Pro Refresh
  • AirPods 3 Refresh (Noise Cancelling)
  • Apple TV update (New Remote?! Pack-in Controller? Game-focused with Apple Arcade)
  • "Tile" tracking devices (with AR support - point your phone to where the tile is and it shows a digital balloon attached to the tile. I'd love to put one of these things on my dog's collar)
  • Some sort of "one more thing" AR/VR device?

Did I miss anything?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

• Apple Watch Refresh/Update (OLED display, titanium and ceramic options, sleep tracking, better battery life)
  • Apple TV update (New Remote?! Pack-in Controller? Game-focused with Apple Arcade)
  • "Tile" tracking devices (with AR support - point your phone to where the tile is and it shows a digital balloon attached to the tile. I'd love to put one of these things on my dog's collar)

Did I miss anything?

Lol I like how like none of the other threads are talking about this stuff. Very interested in the AirPods and iPhone updates though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It would be neat if they managed to make an elegant iPhone again at some point…

…and working keyboards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Noise cancelling AirPods would be cool. They’re worthless to me on airplanes and while mowing the lawn, and I don’t want to sweat all over my Bose headphones doing the latter.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What is inelegant about the current iPhones, or, what was elegant about prior iPhones? I think the camera notch looks pretty clumsy and don’t particularly care for the camera bump either, but I never really thought of the phones as elegant.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gay Retard posted:

Did I miss anything?
The only "knock it out of the park" thing in this list is the new 16" MacBook.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toe Rag posted:

What is inelegant about the current iPhones, or, what was elegant about prior iPhones? I think the camera notch looks pretty clumsy and don’t particularly care for the camera bump either, but I never really thought of the phones as elegant.

Size and Face ID, most notably — they've grown large and clumsy, and need to be waved around a lot for tasks that could previously be done while the phone was just sitting on the table. A few more iterations and they'll be about as subtle as a DynaTAC. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tippis posted:

It would be neat if they managed to make an elegant iPhone again at some point…

…and working keyboards.

The iPhone X is the best designed iPhone since the iPhone 4S. Stainless steel with no unsightly plastic antenna lines.

iPhone 5: Chamfered edges that looked nice but got scuffed up even if you had it in a case. Didn't love the two-toned black.
iPhone 6/7/8: soft aluminum that easily got dinged up, ugly antennas

I guess I just really like the feeling of stainless steel and glass.

American McGay posted:

The only "knock it out of the park" thing in this list is the new 16" MacBook.

I've been holding out on high quality wireless noise cancelling headphones for a few years now.

The Apple Watch's updates have been substantial enough every year, just like the iPhone used to be (I know the Apple Watch isn't for everybody).

I'm afraid Apple's tiles will be too expensive, but it seems like a no-brainer to throw one of them into a suitcase, wallet, keys, dog collar, etc. Tile sucks and it sounds like Apple's high frequency wireless beacons is going to make our devices all but impossible to lose, even if the battery dies.

Tippis posted:

Size and Face ID, most notably — they've grown large and clumsy, and need to be waved around a lot for tasks that could previously be done while the phone was just sitting on the table. A few more iterations and they'll be about as subtle as a DynaTAC. :D

Well, if the rumors are true, next year's smaller sized iPhone X/Pro will be 5.4" instead of 5.8", and we might see a reduced front camera module (and Touch ID in the display). You won't be getting any phone smaller than that from any other maker. They're also saying this year's Face ID will work from a far better angle, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 7, 2019