Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The weirdest anime episode is the early Kanto one at the prep school where the kids straight up learn poo poo like "pidgey learns sand attack at level five and evolves at level 18"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think the basic concept of Pokemon rubbed Shudo the wrong way ideologically on some level. Not even the attitude towards violence so much as the attitude towards hobbies. And to be fair, things like Gyms as presented in the games do seem to be a questionable use of society's resources when you think about it. I think the anime does a good job of showing Ash and other itinerant Trainers helping people out with random problems to the point where the whole setup actually seems sensible, though.

To be fair the whole concept was very very raw at that point and barely developed. Not to mention whips were present in early concept art as a means of keeping pokemon under control. Understandably they were dropped but he may of seen that and drawn some of the worst conclusions. Black and White did a superb job of showing what the Gym leaders actual jobs in the community were and how they come together whenever something is threatening the region.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Flopsy posted:

Not to mention whips were present in early concept art as a means of keeping pokemon under control.

Pics?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

They're present in the Gen 1 Tamer and Sabrina sprites, IIRC.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rinkles posted:

As a kid I didn't like the day night cycle, because I could basically only play after~5PM, so it was always dark

Just change the clock sis

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

less laughter posted:

Just change the clock sis

I did eventually but that defeats the whole idea.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver2195 posted:

They're present in the Gen 1 Tamer and Sabrina sprites, IIRC.

Also Team Rocket

Early Pokemon had a lot of 'Pokemon are dangerous and barely controlled animals' stuff going on. Hell the first line you'll probably see in game is 'Its dangerous to go into tall grass, Pokemon will attack you' and then you have Mewtwo, Pokemon Tower, Snorlax, Cinnebar Mansion...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

It's kind of surreal that the initial creative direction for the show was weirdly depressing and dystopian. Like Shudo looked at a pokemon game and this is what he saw. Could you imagine what we'd get if he'd retained that kind of control? Probably an entire episode dedicated to hunting, killing and devouring of Alcremies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Polteageist has a symbiotic relationship with Alcremie

Although I don't think cream tea is a thing...?

Could use the fruit though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Black and White did a superb job of showing what the Gym leaders actual jobs in the community were and how they come together whenever something is threatening the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8YlPlN-eI8&t=132s

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Vinylshadow posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Polteageist has a symbiotic relationship with Alcremie

There needs to be a scone pokemon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pokemon: But Everyone is Food

https://twitter.com/67tuyu67/status/1169573257604808706

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.glitterberri.com/pokemon-red-blue/early-concept-art/4/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The weirdest anime episode is the early Kanto one at the prep school where the kids straight up learn poo poo like "pidgey learns sand attack at level five and evolves at level 18"

I honestly like dumb stuff like that and it's weird how there's some nods to the game-y elements of the game (iirc pokemon never have more than 4 moves at a time) but then stuff like what moves actually do is effectively random

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also they train on a battle simulator which is literally just the Gen 1 games.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Well I'm definitely putting them on a team together. They're too perfect a matcha.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also they train on a battle simulator which is literally just the Gen 1 games.

gently caress trying to apply game logic to the anime, I wanna see these kids show up again and try to apply broken, glitchy gen 1 logic to the anime.

"Lance's Dragonite! If I send out a grimer, I can eventually defeat it since it will only use Barrier!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I honestly like dumb stuff like that and it's weird how there's some nods to the game-y elements of the game (iirc pokemon never have more than 4 moves at a time) but then stuff like what moves actually do is effectively random

Lt. Surge's Raichu and Drake's (the Orange Islands one) Dragonite have more than 4 moves at a time. Later seasons do apply the 4-move rule, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Four food based Pokemon and a Snorlax.

This seems like a bad idea.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Countblanc posted:

It's a plot point when a pelipper starts using extra moves and is obviously/secretly cheating (by carrying other Pokemon in its mouth).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

You jest, but This is an actual Romhack. All types changed to Flavors, all Pokemon changed to food related ones.
There's also the Delta Crustle in Pokemon Insurgency, the most complete and best romhack there is (if a bit difficult):

I love that dude.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Is naming my future polteageist Ophelia in bad taste?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kikas posted:

You jest, but This is an actual Romhack. All types changed to Flavors, all Pokemon changed to food related ones.
There's also the Delta Crustle in Pokemon Insurgency, the most complete and best romhack there is (if a bit difficult):

I love that dude.

wow, that romhack is...remarkably fleshed out. insurgence is also cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would look into Pokemon Insurgence if they hadn't named it Pokemon Insurgence. Were Pokemon Uprising and Pokemon Retribution already taken?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're right they should have gone with something more innocuous. like reborn.

or you know, make it some sort of element thing like games have already done. how about uranium?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

watched a "worst Kanto team" video and decided to try a playthrough of it. It's Raticate, Butterfree, Parasect, Farfetch'd, Kingler, and Electrode.

I was hunting for an Adamant Rattata to get started and ended up with a drat shiny of that exact Rattata. First wild shiny i've ever encountered besides GSC Gyarados and it's for a fuckin joke playthrough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

watched a "worst Kanto team" video and decided to try a playthrough of it. It's Raticate, Butterfree, Parasect, Farfetch'd, Kingler, and Electrode.

I was hunting for an Adamant Rattata to get started and ended up with a drat shiny of that exact Rattata. First wild shiny i've ever encountered besides GSC Gyarados and it's for a fuckin joke playthrough.

lol owned.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Been trying to catch Cobalion for an hour now. I need a break.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheHoosier posted:

Top percentile Rattata indeed. You’ll have to keep us updated on your blessed run.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

hg definitely has a rich, deep world. coupled with the best story and beautiful style... it's a knockout !!

Heck, you're right, that's why the games should be "knocked out" of gameboys and into a dumpster

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Top percentile Rattata indeed. You’ll have to keep us updated on your blessed run.

you laugh now but hall of fame piss yellow Raticate gonna get the last laugh

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

TheHoosier posted:

I used a Raticate as part of my final Fire Red team, and it had a good, dumb gimmick that kept it pulling its weight. It would use Super Fang, Thunder Wave, and either die or switch out if it wasn't knocked out. being able to knock out half an enemy's health guaranteed is really, really good.
so, it has a niche if you enjoy finding novel ways to clown on the AI.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spatula City posted:

I used a Raticate as part of my final Fire Red team, and it had a good, dumb gimmick that kept it pulling its weight. It would use Super Fang, Thunder Wave, and either die or switch out if it wasn't knocked out. being able to knock out half an enemy's health guaranteed is really, really good.
so, it has a niche if you enjoy finding novel ways to clown on the AI.

Super Fang is the best route one trashmon move. I loved my Watchog with that and Hypnosis for catching poo poo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheHoosier posted:

you laugh now but hall of fame piss yellow Raticate gonna get the last laugh

Not even laughing. I love a good underdog story.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Not even laughing. I love a good underdog story.

It's tough so far. You have to box the starter so Butterfree had to face Brock. Took a decent amount of restarts before Onix yielded to stun spore enough to win. Misty was rough too. Parasect w/ Bullet Seed still got smacked around quite a bit by Starmie.

I believe in Shiny Rattata though. He will deliver us to victory.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

TheHoosier posted:

Klingler was my boy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
who took this video of me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

azumarill is a regional forme of sentret. i have determined this to be true

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted: