Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wanna take pictures of Buster Skywing, but I'm scared to do the armored up OP/Jetfire mode :(

Also what's the teal one? It's gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wish 3rd parties would go back to legitimately filling in holes in collections or doing things Hasbro/Takara will never do. Now it's just MP versions of the same characters and combiners.

It'd be nice to get articulated toys of characters that don't have them or even weapon packs. I'd love it if I had a version of Shadow Striker with her armory or a copy of Cyberverse Grimlock's gun I could give his Ultimate Class toy.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I didn't realize I wanted a Macross 2 Valkyrie until now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I wish 3rd parties would go back to legitimately filling in holes in collections or doing things Hasbro/Takara will never do. Now it's just MP versions of the same characters and combiners.

It'd be nice to get articulated toys of characters that don't have them or even weapon packs. I'd love it if I had a version of Shadow Striker with her armory or a copy of Cyberverse Grimlock's gun I could give his Ultimate Class toy.

3P Transformers are extremely, extremely niche.

The thing is, Hasbro is ALSO stabbing that niche pretty hard at this point. Scroll back a few years ago, when the hell would Head Masters or the like have been made? A new super articulated Devvy? loving Spinister?

That's what 3P used to focus on only not Spinister. But Hasbro has also started doing them as well.

The big 3P companies have to focus on what WILL make them money. Hasbro can take a stab in the dark and bring back the duo cons for a lark, the 3P have to edge the line of obscure but not obscure

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So unh, BBTS has Siege Omega Supreme in stock...

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/88344

Hasbro Pulse still has him listed as 10/1.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

The thing is, Hasbro is ALSO stabbing that niche pretty hard at this point. Scroll back a few years ago, when the hell would Head Masters or the like have been made? A new super articulated Devvy? loving Spinister?

That's what 3P used to focus on only not Spinister. But Hasbro has also started doing them as well.

The big 3P companies have to focus on what WILL make them money. Hasbro can take a stab in the dark and bring back the duo cons for a lark, the 3P have to edge the line of obscure but not obscure

I mean, you could also argue they're basically eating their tail by producing what is basically different versions of the same stuff, over and over.

But I digress. I know the practical reasons why. It doesn't stop one from wishing, though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i do find it extremely strange that there are so many third party MP-scale versions of existing official MP toys. I'd expect a couple, but there are so many other pretty big characters that are totally missing. I would have thought it was a safer bet to produce the only 'x' on the market rather than another optimus prime. I understand the amount of recolours of 3rd party primes there are, cause you want to get your moneys worth out of the design, and I understand producing variants of the popular characters, like an IDW prime and such.

But there are so many high profile characters just missing representation on the market. Like there's only been one MP-scale galvatron and it is foreverially sold out, and he was in the movie and the tv series.

For comics guys there's only been one bludgeon, no jhiaxus at all, no galvatron II, and a whole raft of missing IDW guys. Fans have been asking for a proper Jhiaxus toy for what's gotta be like 20 years now, and hasbro keeps loving it up.

Maybe 3rd party creators just use each other as market research, so people only want to make what other people are already making cause they know there's a market.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I wanna take pictures of Buster Skywing, but I'm scared to do the armored up OP/Jetfire mode :(

Also what's the teal one? It's gorgeous.

It’s the Bandai HI-Metal R VF-2SS Valkyrie II + SAP (Nex Gilbert Machine)

It’s pretty friggin sweet. The long gun standing upright comes forward over his shoulder, and the panels on the arm armor open up to show micro-missles, as do the panels on the leg armor. There’s an alternate set of right leg armor that lets you mount one of the guns on it, and the wing armor repositions, too.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Stormangel posted:

I didn't realize I wanted a Macross 2 Valkyrie until now.

That one’s 119 on Amazon. Ordered three weeks ago, arrived a week and a half ago

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Not pictured: 1/100 transformable valkyrie models

I had the whole bookshelf collection of those Masterpiece Valkyries. Their quality control was loving awful. The Alpha Fighters (the ones I really wanted) were sub-KO quality.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GD_American posted:

I had the whole bookshelf collection of those Masterpiece Valkyries. Their quality control was loving awful. The Alpha Fighters (the ones I really wanted) were sub-KO quality.

I'm really hoping the upcoming Sen-Ti-Nel RIOBOT Legioss somehow breaks the curse of Legioss toys, because all the others have been varying degrees of bad. The Masterpiece/Aoshima ones fall apart in a light breeze, the CMs have no stability and are extremely off model, and the Evolution Toys' ones have durability issues as well.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'm sorry for spamming this guy but im so impressed with double evil, his tank mode is one of the first transformers i've seen that has a clean underside:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Nodosaur posted:

Other than the rush to get affordable Primes out this year I don't really see what you're talking about. Almost everything X-Transbots and Fanstoys makes is not being touched by Takara any time soon. Takara ain't tackling MP Combiner teams, despite years of rumors of Bruticus now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Still holding out hope that someday Hasbro does a Skull Squadron version of Jetfire

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GD_American posted:

You still got the first appendix?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

I briefly had the Ben Dixon Valkyrie, and I was terrified to even take it out of the book/box. It was so fiddly and fragile, not a fun toy at all, and not much of a collector's item either. I was relieved when I eventually traded it for something that wasn't going to break immediately.

You know what I would love? A nice version of the Robotech/Mospeada Cyclone, but not a fiddly, fragile, high-end collector's piece. Just a high-quality TOY that looks great and is fun to transform into badass exo-armor for a figure. I know a few have been made over the decades, but all are either old, fragile, and expensive, or new, fragile, and expensive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I was back and forth on buying the Perfect Effect Jet Revive Prime and nearly pulled the trigger tonight but then I saw that PE is already updating it

loving SOLD.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

this lil guy is very cute and I like him, but he looks like he's smeared with poo poo which is kind of offputting https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Knight-Premier-Autobot-Sqweeks/dp/B06WRRMN9W

i do not own any of the movie transformers atm and i don't really like the movies cause movie optimus acts like idw overlord. but some of the designs are pretty cool, at least once they moved away from the 'giant pile of gears' look from the first movie. I have also only seen the first movie so i could be wrong on that, but i'm going based off the toys.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Rhyno posted:

Man, I was back and forth on buying the Perfect Effect Jet Revive Prime and nearly pulled the trigger tonight but then I saw that PE is already updating it

loving SOLD.

Looking pretty Gridman there, Mr. Prime.

I'm impressed by what the trailer is pulling off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PE are often on a different level than other 3Ps. Their main thing is upgrades for 1P figures but when they do a full figure it's usually incredible. Their weakest offering is probably their Lio Convoy and that's only because it ended up being fragile.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That's a pretty cool/weird take on God Ginrai but I'm still waiting for someone to do a legit MP quality version of him with fully functional Godbomber.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this lil guy is very cute and I like him, but he looks like he's smeared with poo poo which is kind of offputting https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Knight-Premier-Autobot-Sqweeks/dp/B06WRRMN9W

i do not own any of the movie transformers atm and i don't really like the movies cause movie optimus acts like idw overlord. but some of the designs are pretty cool, at least once they moved away from the 'giant pile of gears' look from the first movie. I have also only seen the first movie so i could be wrong on that, but i'm going based off the toys.

Nah, don’t do it. The Bay movies are all terrible, with the recent Bumblebee the exception.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, don’t do it. The Bay movies are all terrible, with the recent Bumblebee the exception.

Honestly I'd say the first movie would be legitimately good if one edited out most of Sam's scenes prior his encounter with Barricade as well as most of the later scene at his house and basically all of the hacker lady's scenes too

One could probably edit Dark of The Moon into being better too, but it's been a couple years since I last watched that one, so I can't remember what said edits would need to be

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe you could edit bits of them together into one movie. It would probably be as coherent as the actual movies.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd say the first movie would be legitimately good if one edited out most of Sam's scenes prior his encounter with Barricade as well as most of the later scene at his house and basically all of the hacker lady's scenes too

One could probably edit Dark of The Moon into being better too, but it's been a couple years since I last watched that one, so I can't remember what said edits would need to be

1 and 3 are definitely the closest to being not godawful out of the five. But honestly it's like ranking which root canal was your favorite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoE is a flawless masterpiece.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

well, the first transformers i ordered on this deranged spree has finally arrived. and by arrived i mean i had to walk multiple miles to retrieve the parcel through an area of the city that looks like chernobyl on a bad day:

anyway, i now have a takara legends trypticon and sharkticon. i had no idea how big trypticon would be, it was 50% off and he was a favourite character of mine from childhood, so I bought him. he is massive. he also has a sticker sheet that makes me want to cry. I am a cack-handed moron and I will ruin it immediately.

sharkticon is tiny and cute though, and comes with scourge's headmaster for some reason? he can eat it?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

AoE is a flawless masterpiece.

Worst and most repulsively disgusting in the series. Actively terrible and one of the few movies I will judge someone for liking, because it doesn't say good things about the person. Literally not a single good thing about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
<Screams in Stanley Tucci.>

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Yeah. I keep thinking about hunting down a 3P Deathsaurus but at the same time I figure if I did Hasbro will come out with a very nice Leader-class soon after. It feels possible at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He is definitely cute as hell. A lot of the people in this thread have complicated relationships with the live action movies, but what I like best about them is that for whatever reason, movie designers either ignore or are totally unaware of older material, so they wind up making all these offbeat designs that bare no resemblance to any previous transformer designs. Revenge of the Fallen was the best, but every movie line has some cool new designs win some people over, regardless of the overall movie quality.

Because nostalgia is nice, but I'm all about the cool robot designs, and there's always a multitude of vehicles that haven't yet been turned into a transformer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also JBC, The_Doctor is right and the Bumblebee movie is good. But then, Michael Bay didn't have hardly anything to do with the film, the biggest connections are the character designs and Sector Seven playing a major role in the plot. Bee's way less aggro than in the main movies, Optimus Prime doesn't say anything that would out him as being secretly a Decepticon or infected with hate plague, and there's no Witwickies or jokes about robot genitalia.

My only real complaint so far about Bee Movie is that the coolest character design in the film doesn't get much screen time and hasn't had one good transforming toy yet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I really want Double Evil, a big chunky Overlord that's less fiddly to transform than the MMC one is exactly what I'm after.

Nice hat, idiot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey now, cast no shade on the Elintseeker

(it's got enough shade for two already)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I got my Refraktor team the other day in the mail. This is a pretty fun little robot who turns into a cube and smushes with 2 other just like him. To the point I might need one of the retail version just so I have a cartoon accurate guy to go with the camera.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Sexual Shiite posted:

You still got the first appendix?

No, I was selling them on consignment at a local comics shop and the dude disappeared overnight with everything in the store. I was mad at the time, but I'm over it now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

loving SOLD.
I really like the look of this guy, but I can't get over the entire robot mode chest just hanging out on the back of the truck cab. I don't suppose this version does anything to hide that?

EthanSteele posted:

Nice hat, idiot.
Nooooooooooooo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

well, the first transformers i ordered on this deranged spree has finally arrived. and by arrived i mean i had to walk multiple miles to retrieve the parcel through an area of the city that looks like chernobyl on a bad day:

anyway, i now have a takara legends trypticon and sharkticon. i had no idea how big trypticon would be, it was 50% off and he was a favourite character of mine from childhood, so I bought him. he is massive. he also has a sticker sheet that makes me want to cry. I am a cack-handed moron and I will ruin it immediately.

sharkticon is tiny and cute though, and comes with scourge's headmaster for some reason? he can eat it?

Honestly I haven't bothered with the stickers on my Trypticon and I think he looks fine

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

pbuh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think that's a great concept but not at that size. If Wei Jiang does it with MPP-10 I'd be down though.