Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I am thou, thou art I.
Thou have acquired a new vow

It shall become the wings of rebellion
That breaketh the chains of captivity

With the birth of the vagina bones
I have obtained the wings of blessing that
Shall lead to freedom and new power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They should get rid of stuff like that 4kids style smoke they put over the cutscene before Aversa's boss fight, since it doesn't even carry over into gameplay.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

In the English version, the second chapter of the game is about coming into your own as a model, and being able to confidently express yourself. You find a book of photos from your manager, a retired idol, and everyone is like "wow, she's got so much personality and charisma!"

In the Japanese version, the second chapter of the game is about modeling in a swimsuit. You find a book of photos from your manager, a retired idol, and everyone is like "wow look at how big her anime tiddies are!"
She's not a retired idol, she's a retired gravure model(I think that's unchanged in all versions). There's a lot of connotations of shame implied with the job in a kind of "slut-shaming" way and, in the Japanese version, that it shouldn't hold back someone's career for taking it. Honestly I don't know enough about gravure models to know whether this is a better moral than "be confident in yourself" though, since a lot of criticisms I heard about the game prerelease it's that way too lenient/nigh nonexistent criticism about the predatory parts of the industry.
But I did find it interesting that Tsubasa is less concerned with the swimsuit shoot than the fact she'll get nasty comments online and get accused of sexually selling out, which definitely feels kinda relevant.
They also appear to have made her playable now though, which is way better. She seems to get Azura? But more importantly...

Captain Baal posted:

The fact they made a character like Barry Goodman and spent the money to get Yuichi Nakamura to voice him and then didn't make him playable is still the greatest crime of that game
You got your wish. Or at least partially enough for him to show up in another attack.

HGH fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 5, 2019

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Wishful thinking that there will be an english dub, but if not I'll take having subtitles for the massive amounts of battle dialog, especially in plot fights.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

It finally happened. Mark January 17 for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore.

Lol I can't believe they did it. The Switch has actual RPGs worth playing though so a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff is a bit less exciting. Between Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon, remastered versions of FF8, FF10, FF12, I don't think that many people are gonna be clamoring for a new JRPG in January.

And then they loving released Divinity Original Sins 2 TODAY with no announcement lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It is truly God's One True Console

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol I can't believe they did it. The Switch has actual RPGs worth playing though so a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff is a bit less exciting. Between Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon, remastered versions of FF8, FF10, FF12, I don't think that many people are gonna be clamoring for a new JRPG in January.

And then they loving released Divinity Original Sins 2 TODAY with no announcement lol

I want to play it, and now I can. Begone with your negative energy

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I never beat it, but I enjoyed what I played of TMS#FE. It's good, not just "the Wii U had no other RPGs" good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

#FE is better than all of those games apart from probably Fire Emblem and Pokemon and I've no interest in the latter

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
#fe is good

but to say it's better than a dragon quest is mind blastingly incorrect

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't like Dragon Quest

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm sorry for your loss

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Personally, I'm just hoping they make Barry playable in #FE Encore.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

amigolupus posted:

Barry finds his new Mirage after separating himself from Draug- the War Monk Libra.

(I'm hoping, anyways. I'd be happy if it was just Hector or someone else, too)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Barry finds his new Mirage after separating himself from Draug- the War Monk Libra.

i'd be ok with this

barry needs jesus in the worst way

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

amigolupus posted:

Did you actually watch the trailer

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tae posted:

Did you actually watch the trailer

To be fair, Tiki showed up in the same way that Barry did, but her face wasn't on the list of health bars during her attack, meaning it's possible it's just a cameo attack and not a full party member

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I might have liked #FE more if it was advertised as something else, but I seriously do not like the plot.

HGH posted:

since a lot of criticisms I heard about the game prerelease it's that way too lenient/nigh nonexistent criticism about the predatory parts of the industry.

I wasn't surprised but this is probably why I can't get into it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I mean the game is basically a celebration of idol culture so yeah it makes sense that it's not going to form a lot of criticism. I think the bigger issue is that the plot is so nothing and bland. The text messaging between party members is cool and sometimes really well-written but after the charm wears off and you still have 40 hours to go it's hard to stick with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. On one hand I get it, on the other hand that seems like a hyper focused criticism. 90% of video games, including ones based around real people and careers, are at best mildly critical of their subjects. Complaining that peppy pop star JRPG isn't being a horrifying criticism of the music industry feels like complaining Harvest Moon doesn't deal seriously with the dangers and real truths about farming.

We have multiple games on this subforum alone glorifying military service, predatory capitalism, animal fighting, and real predatory things like gatcha games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Idol culture is obviously worse than all of those

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I want my Religious Pantheons Smackdown, sorta-Pokémon Style (even if we technically came out with it 7 years earlier)!" or "I want to use fairly popular Fire Emblem characters as JoJo stands!" seem like pretty simple elements to use and adapt into multiple types of stories, up to and including "Idol Show". And while #FE felt like it could've been so much more, I honestly liked what they tried to do. For the most part.

I'll be completely honest, though, and admit that the one or two things I'd like to see more than anything from Atlus and IS if they independently try a crossover thingy is either a traditional JRPG Shin Megami Tensei game for the switch/playstation/whatever doing a crossover across the Megaten multiverse or a Super Robot Wars-style Fire Emblem crossover.

(No, I'm not going back to Fire Emblem Heroes, shut up :mad:)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Full Body came out this week. After the huge blowup I'd be surprised if most of us actually bought it (I didn't), but I'm wondering if they actually fixed any of the LGBT issues in that game beyond not deadnaming Erica in the credits anymore. I heard parts of it were better but I didn't hear exactly how.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. On one hand I get it, on the other hand that seems like a hyper focused criticism. 90% of video games, including ones based around real people and careers, are at best mildly critical of their subjects. Complaining that peppy pop star JRPG isn't being a horrifying criticism of the music industry feels like complaining Harvest Moon doesn't deal seriously with the dangers and real truths about farming.

We have multiple games on this subforum alone glorifying military service, predatory capitalism, animal fighting, and real predatory things like gatcha games.

I don't recall saying I was surprised by it not being a sincere criticism, man, I just said I don't like that it wasn't.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean the game is basically a celebration of idol culture so yeah it makes sense that it's not going to form a lot of criticism. I think the bigger issue is that the plot is so nothing and bland. The text messaging between party members is cool and sometimes really well-written but after the charm wears off and you still have 40 hours to go it's hard to stick with it

I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing about that game's overarching plot. Who the villain was, why they were the villain, what the stakes were. :shrug:

Wark Say posted:

"I want my Religious Pantheons Smackdown, sorta-Pokémon Style (even if we technically came out with it 7 years earlier)!" or "I want to use fairly popular Fire Emblem characters as JoJo stands!" seem like pretty simple elements to use and adapt into multiple types of stories, up to and including "Idol Show". And while #FE felt like it could've been so much more, I honestly liked what they tried to do. For the most part.

I'll be completely honest, though, and admit that the one or two things I'd like to see more than anything from Atlus and IS if they independently try a crossover thingy is either a traditional JRPG Shin Megami Tensei game for the switch/playstation/whatever doing a crossover across the Megaten multiverse or a Super Robot Wars-style Fire Emblem crossover.

(No, I'm not going back to Fire Emblem Heroes, shut up :mad:)

This is completely sincere, what did you like about it? Did you like the cast? Gameplay?

Like whatever, you're free to like what you want, but it's one of those games where I can't even see the appeal that I'm not a fan of.

The text messages and some of the character designs/dialogue were alright, but I liked basically nothing else about the game aside from that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Full Body came out this week. After the huge blowup I'd be surprised if most of us actually bought it (I didn't), but I'm wondering if they actually fixed any of the LGBT issues in that game beyond not deadnaming Erica in the credits anymore. I heard parts of it were better but I didn't hear exactly how.

I've read a review saying that they changed a line or two, but most issues are so ingranined to the writing's core that you can't really do much about it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Arist posted:

I'm trying to go off of other people's impressions here since I've not gotten the game and don't plan on getting it but:

It looks like they (Hashino and co) with Rin's route tried to do something that's attempting to present a positive view about LGBT people and issues but uh....done by a bunch of straight people who don't understand the complexity of what they're dealing with so they end up writing some very insensitive and ignorant poo poo. Like it looks like they didn't consult with any LGBT people at all.

As for changes from the original game Erica isn't deadnamed in the credits anymore (she still gets deadnamed once in the story itself in one of the routes that was in the original game) and one conversation was modified a bit to be better (not sure in what way/where this was). One of the new endings that involves time travel where Erica doesn't transition is still there.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

This is completely sincere, what did you like about it? Did you like the cast? Gameplay?

Like whatever, you're free to like what you want, but it's one of those games where I can't even see the appeal that I'm not a fan of.

The text messages and some of the character designs/dialogue were alright, but I liked basically nothing else about the game aside from that.
In my case? I watched my daughter play through it and sorta gave her advice based on my experience with SMT/Persona games. SMT IV and FE: Awakening had been her first entries into both franchises, so she was quite excited about the crossover. And even though that outside of, like, Symphogear and Zombieland Saga she's not into idols at all, she had a blast playing it, so I can't really be super objective about it. :shobon:

Since she took the Wii U with her to San Francisco, this upcoming January is actually going to be my first time actively playing it by myself. Hopefully by then I can give you a more objective answer beyond "I had a blast watching my dorky daughter play it and hearing Yuuichi Nakamura talking about 'Hellish training', etc". :)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I personally didn't have the issue with #FE, it's just something I heard a lot... somewhere? I think it was another thread here. Can't remember anymore.
It was a fun goofy romp anyway and most of the enjoyment came from the side stories and cast doing crazy entertainment industry stuff. Especially the edgelord once he cuts loose. Also reveling in stupid stuff with friends like you can't win against Gharnef.

MagusDraco posted:

and one conversation was modified a bit to be better (not sure in what way/where this was).
This one I know, it's the conversation about wrestling where Erica starting a new career as a pro wrestler. Vincent doesn't say "You wouldn't be allowed to" like he did originally and there's a new ending where she does end up as a wrestler.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Yeah I fully expected #FE to be some sort of Devil Survivor 3-esque game with maybe Fire Emblem characters as demons or something, but it felt like the end product wasn't a good representation of what people like about either game. The Fire Emblem components were so lazily slapped on, too - all you would have to do is change character names to completely remove any trace of Fire Emblem from the game. Ironically, like you said, Three Houses is a much better Fire Emblem and SMT crossover than #FE.

Also in regards to Full Body, there's a scene that, while it also existed in the Japanese version, the official English translation will get some heavy flak for solidifying the wording: there's a route in the game where Catherine refers to Rin as "that thing" which, while probably referring to the whole alien/angel thing, isn't going to be given any good faith considering all the other issues. In this scene Catherine also kills Rin, and this is right before referring to him as "that thing." I imagine at least a few articles are in the oven about that particular scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I fully expected #FE to be some sort of Devil Survivor 3-esque game with maybe Fire Emblem characters as demons or something, but it felt like the end product wasn't a good representation of what people like about either game. The Fire Emblem components were so lazily slapped on, too - all you would have to do is change character names to completely remove any trace of Fire Emblem from the game. Ironically, like you said, Three Houses is a much better Fire Emblem and SMT crossover than #FE.

Also in regards to Full Body, there's a scene that, while it also existed in the Japanese version, the official English translation will get some heavy flak for solidifying the wording: there's a route in the game where Catherine refers to Rin as "that thing" which, while probably referring to the whole alien/angel thing, isn't going to be given any good faith considering all the other issues. In this scene Catherine also kills Rin, and this is right before referring to him as "that thing." I imagine at least a few articles are in the oven about that particular scene

The plot of #FE is literally a thinly veiled hyper anime retelling of the original Fire Emblem game. If you could change the names and it wouldn't change much that is because Fire Emblem 1 wasn't exactly a plot masterpiece. Also Chrom and Tharja are there because money.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FE1 would've been better if it had a thinly-veiled Marty Friedman helping you like #FE does.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
While I really enjoyed just playing #FE, the combat system doesn't really lend itself to playing it again. The way combos work and are triggered makes it incredibly slow. I'm not sure new content is going to be a strong enough motivation for me.

I'm mostly happy that people who didn't have a Wii U get to play an oddball RPG.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

FE1 would've been better if it had a thinly-veiled Marty Friedman helping you like #FE does.
Navarre sorta works like that, I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

While I really enjoyed just playing #FE, the combat system doesn't really lend itself to playing it again. The way combos work and are triggered makes it incredibly slow. I'm not sure new content is going to be a strong enough motivation for me.

I'm mostly happy that people who didn't have a Wii U get to play an oddball RPG.

They trailer already confirmed they are going to include a speed up/skip option for the animations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Glasses improve tsubasa so much, I'm glad Toi8's fetish has finally won

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Glasses improve tsubasa so much, I'm glad Toi8's fetish has finally won

Having followed very little of the remaster trailer I would like to see evidence of this claim

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was just sent these buttons and immediately bought two because I feel like at some point I just have to accept I'm That rear end in a top hat.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I hate The Answer. I know P3 isn't exactly a masterpiece in a lot of ways but I hate pretty much every thing they try to add to it outside of FES Journey stuff. Just let it stand on its own!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked the concept of Erebus but everything else, especially Metis, was real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Answer overexplains the poo poo out of P3 and the new character beats are pretty garbage. Also it's just not fun to play.