Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

E the Shaggy posted:

Sorry to keep bringing back things to Vic but the hearing is today and well...

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1169964877026406400?s=20

There's a different thread for this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I highly recommend anyone interested in this to check out the Vic thread. They had a hearing in front of a judge and, let's just say it didn't go the way Vic's lawyers probably wanted it to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
LMAO

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1169980908830699520

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
:thurman:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Welcome to the thread

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Whose Iron Spike? Is that Koala?

Edit: Wait, this is a professional comic creator.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Whose Iron Spike? Is that Koala?

Edit: Wait, this is a professional comic creator.

She is an indie comics publisher, yes. She also used to make a webcomic called Templar, Arizona back when SA was the hot webcomic hangout, so she probably still browses SA sometimes on her old account.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Where are her tweets where she takes any/all references to Jews in Attack On Titan way out of proportion/context?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

LMAO indeed since if anybody read any of my posts here you'd know she doesn't have a loving clue what she's talking about.

Hi Spike, try not being a hypocrite when it suits your bottom line and if your fart huffing indy comics can't get a real print run because nobody except a few nerds in Brooklyn want to read them, stick to digital or vanity POD instead of using the worst country in the world after the US on labor and the environment to print your comics.

Also lmfao at that whole :circlefap: thread.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 7, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Can't wait to see what bullshit oversite group she claims makes her printers totally okay on labor/environment while somehow mysteriously offering rates an order of magnitude lower than the US/Canada. Totally a legit thing, for sure. :jerkbag:

nah
\/\/\/\/\/

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 7, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

take the L

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ryonguy posted:

LMAO indeed since if anybody read any of my posts here you'd know she doesn't have a loving clue what she's talking about.

Hi Spike, try not being a hypocrite when it suits your bottom line and if your fart huffing indy comics can't get a real print run because nobody except a few nerds in Brooklyn want to read them, stick to digital or vanity POD instead of using the worst country in the world after the US on labor and the environment to print your comics.

Also lmfao at that whole :circlefap: thread.
If it's not your industry, you may be unaware of Spike, but this really isn't a great look, man. Spike's publishing company has raised a MILLION DOLLARS on Kickstarter alone, and she reshaped the modern indie comics industry over the past ten years. She very much does know what she's talking about.

Don't be Twitter's protagonist today.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey spike, since you read this thread,you are loving awesome and never stop being you!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
So she's raised a million dollars, yet still thinks she needs to print in China? Okay. Still a hypocrite getting bent out of shape in a hilarious overreaction to a frankly mild criticism.

You print in China, you're supporting labor abuse and a million other equally horrible things. Don't give a gently caress about what she's done, or who she is.

edit: open the book and look at the "printed in [x]" man, it's not some exhaustive process. It's not like I'm stomping around in MAGA hat and crying "DEY TOOK ER JERBS!!!" like she's basically trying to portray this as

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 7, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im curious since I've never actually meet someone who does so before, is it exhausting researching the manufacturing process of literally every product you buy to make sure its not sourced in some capacity by China

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
*leans into the mic*

nice meltdown

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

*leans into the mic*

nice meltdown

Yeah, somebody getting bent out of shape for someone pointing out they're being kinda lame for printing in a horrible country is a p good meltdown.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, somebody getting bent out of shape for someone pointing out they're being kinda lame for printing in a horrible country is a p good meltdown.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1169981393209843712?s=20

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ryonguy posted:

I honestly don't know how else to describe the action of continuing to double down and defend yourself in a thread where everyone either A. disagrees with you or B. doesn't care at all

You're not actually accomplishing anything with these posts except making yourself look like a ranting dumbass.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Is this about China or is this about Iron Spike specifically.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the funniest thing to happen in this thread in a while

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The gently caress is even going on rn

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space Fish posted:

Where are her tweets where she takes any/all references to Jews in Attack On Titan way out of proportion/context?

You mean where the people with the same bloodline-potential to mutate into titans that the island folk have are also on the mainland, which has 1930/40s Europe-level tech and fashion, and are kept in a ghetto where they're forced to wear armbands that ID them as dangerous descendants of a people who used to rule the world? And some try to avoid that by hiding in plain sight and hoping nobody discovers their heritage?

Because I remember her being shocked it went that far but only over a few tweets at most.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Im curious since I've never actually meet someone who does so before, is it exhausting researching the manufacturing process of literally every product you buy to make sure its not sourced in some capacity by China

You don't post via handmade telegraph over hamnet?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ryonguy posted:

It's not printed in the USA though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

You don't post via handmade telegraph over hamnet?

I prefer carrier pigeons myself

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You mean where the people with the same bloodline-potential to mutate into titans that the island folk have are also on the mainland, which has 1930/40s Europe-level tech and fashion, and are kept in a ghetto where they're forced to wear armbands that ID them as dangerous descendants of a people who used to rule the world? And some try to avoid that by hiding in plain sight and hoping nobody discovers their heritage?

Because I remember her being shocked it went that far but only over a few tweets at most.

On one hand, I can see how those images/references are shocking on their own, and if her issue's with the references being used at all ("SO ARMBANDS AND EVERYTHING, HUH OKAY") I respect her taste.

On the other hand, the manga consistently presents themes of "don't judge people by their ancestry" and "saving your loved ones is a million times more justified than blindly following orders," and her AOT reactions sticking in my memory this many months later is more a result of how much traction her reaction drew and less about her specifically.

I guess the '"AOT is anti-Semitic and the creator's a Nazi" sentiment was bubbling in my social media bubble and Spike's reaction and resulting threads ("I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS EXPECTING TBH BUT "TITANS ARE JEWS" WAS NOT IT") zoomed in on a lot of that and challenged what seemed to be a morally respectable story to me.

I got worked up about my anti-Nazi fairytale being called pro-Nazi!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember importing drama but this is almost like the reverse, like a drama invasion?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Isn't the part of the titans killing everyone and ruling the world just a fantasy-nazi lie?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't the part of the titans killing everyone and ruling the world just a fantasy-nazi lie?

Haven’t read he latest chapter, but maybe. No ones really clear what the history is, and dubious people on all sides are selling narratives that push their ideals.

The whole ghetto allusions were really ham handed, but calling it Nazi propaganda requires a really obtuse reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Spike is not a reliable source of information on any given topic, that's all I'm gonna say.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's a widely-disseminated tumblr post that claims Isayama uses an anonymous Twitter account to post racist screeds, but I'm not sure how much faith I put in that.

Both the protagonist's nation and the mainland empire are fascist societies, but I don't think the series is pro-fascism at all.

It's got lots of fascist flags, like heroic martyrs sacrificing themselves against invading subhumans, in a German-coded setting ruled by cowardly bloated civilians. But it undermines those tropes by killing off the heroes in senile, screaming terror without glory. Only a handful are stoic. The invading subhuman hordes were your brothers and sisters, and a military coup proves to be just as corrupt. If it has a single theme, it's that history is a cycle of nationalist cruelty, and the core cast are desperately trying to find a better answer.

The best argument I've seen for AoT being a propaganda piece is unique to Japan's right-wingers. Some folks there believe Japan was disproportionally punished after WW2 - "Sure, our parents did some hosed up poo poo, but no worse than anyone else, and that was forever ago!" In that sense, some of the themes could line up in ugly ways.

The series wraps up next year, and I'm sure we'll see endless unbearable Titan discourse then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The actual fascist anime is Goblin Slayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPX2fWgoiyg

Warning: lotta rape in there

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im glad we can still find a way to turn this thread back to talking about anime

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good lord, why are we discussing somebody's take on Attack on Titan from month's ago?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Because printing from China is simultaneously the cheapest option for indie folks and completely unnecessary.

Anyone else notice an odd anti-librarian strain in CG rhetoric? Are there some librarians among us who want to defend their SJW zealotry when ordering diverse comics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
weird how people who never post in here are popping up to complain about grudges they hold about months old tweets regarding a manga they like because a black woman made one post in here

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space Fish posted:

On one hand, I can see how those images/references are shocking on their own, and if her issue's with the references being used at all ("SO ARMBANDS AND EVERYTHING, HUH OKAY") I respect her taste.

On the other hand, the manga consistently presents themes of "don't judge people by their ancestry" and "saving your loved ones is a million times more justified than blindly following orders," and her AOT reactions sticking in my memory this many months later is more a result of how much traction her reaction drew and less about her specifically.

I guess the '"AOT is anti-Semitic and the creator's a Nazi" sentiment was bubbling in my social media bubble and Spike's reaction and resulting threads ("I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS EXPECTING TBH BUT "TITANS ARE JEWS" WAS NOT IT") zoomed in on a lot of that and challenged what seemed to be a morally respectable story to me.

I got worked up about my anti-Nazi fairytale being called pro-Nazi!

I haven't watched or read enough of AoT to gauge how well it comes off as pro or anti fascist, but I did see a lot of people jumping off of her comments with more direct takes on the recent chapters that were out at the time.

Pigbuster posted:

As far as I remember, the titans, or at least the ones with special powers that people can shapeshift in and out of, all came out of one progenitor queen who unlocked the power. Most of the special titan powers can pass on to anyone, but the founding titan still seems to require ties to the royal bloodline to be controllable. The level of cruelty under the titan nobility is what seems to be in flux depending on whose propaganda is spouting off about it.

Edmund Lava posted:

The whole ghetto allusions were really ham handed, but calling it Nazi propaganda requires a really obtuse reading.

The Jewish ghetto stuff was too explicit not to be intended, for sure. People will be arguing for... probably the rest of the time the internet exists whether it's antisemitic and perpetuating Nazi propaganda or not though.

Lurdiak posted:

The actual fascist anime is Goblin Slayer.

Warning: lotta rape in there

Ah, and once again it all cycles back to isekai...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

site posted:

weird how people who never post in here are popping up to complain about grudges they hold about months old tweets regarding a manga they like because a black woman made one post in here

My other grudge in this thread, which was also a personal derail (I'll shut up with these, I promise) was about a cishet white guy, so yes, it's weird to read into demographic information like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So glad the Vic stuff got shunted off to another subforum so we can keep this thread focused on comics and not anime.