Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

No Mods No Masters posted:

In the battle for most pointless terrible character of phasma vs maz kanata, I would have given it to phasma given the state of things after star wars 8. But apparently maz is back in star wars 9 for some god forsaken reason, so the fight's not over yet

Maz at least has a character and a backstory that's brushed up against, and serves a useful story purpose in revealing things to Ray about the force and Luke's lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I maintain that some suit has maz kanata as a pet project and won't stop until deposed or she becomes "this generation's yoda". My disney sense tells me strongly that those exact words were used

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hopefully we find out Maz was killed in that union dispute

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Exec: Hey JJ, how's the script coming? You know I'm going to want to hear what's new with maz
JJ: *Slowly remembering what maz kanata is, cringing/smiling JJishly*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

how do you cast lupita and then turn her into a little gremlin and also not decide to include her throughout the entire movie she rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerkface posted:

how do you cast lupita and then turn her into a little gremlin and also not decide to include her throughout the entire movie she rules.

She took the role specifically to be a CG person because she wanted a role that was not demanding physically at all after doing 12 Years A Slave. But I have to agree, originally her planet/bar/whatever was going to get totally destroyed and she was going to go with everyone to meet Leia (in the trailer you can see her hand Leia the lightsaber). Like even if she's a CG character why would you not use her as much as possible.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Maz is a creepy little weirdo who talks a big game about fighting evil, but did nothing to stop the Empire, does nothing to stop the First Order, but will go all-in to take down striking workers. I'm honestly baffled as to what they thought they were going for with her.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Más que nada, I guess...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Captain Splendid posted:

Más que nada, I guess...

:golfclap:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TheLoquid posted:

I dunno man, basically everything between the opening scene and Luke getting an exposition dump from Ben is extremely flabby.

I mean, that's completely wrong, it's simply different pacing. R2 and 3PO land on Tatooine,
get into an argument (to establish their relationship as testy, argumentative friends),
go their separate ways,
each gets captured by Jawas (important because of the restraining bolt that they put on R2),
get sold to the Lars family,
Luke takes the restraining bolt off of R2 and sees the corrupted Leia message,
goes and has dinner with his aunt and uncle ("I need you for just one more season", foreshadowing that Owen and Beru ain't seein' next season),
Luke goes and looks at the suns setting and pines for freedom,
Luke goes back to put the droids away for the night and R2 has escaped,
Luke and 3PO go outside to see if he's even within binocular range,
Luke brings up the Sand People being out there among other things and they'll have to wait until morning to go look for him,
they find him quickly enough in movie time and Luke is immediately attacked by Sand People,
at which point Old Ben saves his rear end,
the very next scene being the exposition dump and lightsaber gifting.

There's not actually anything that you could reasonably cut without losing major aspects of the characters, their relationships, the setting, or their place in the story from the roughly eighteen-nineteen minutes between getting off Leia's ship and Obi-Wan showing up. There's also the added benefit in the pacing and layout of these scenes; it really establishes that time is passing, which informs the rest of the entire picture in that you can more readily imagine/understand that this story takes place over several days, as well as making Tatooine feel like a large, expansive planet full of jack poo poo but death, despair, loneliness, and sand, a place that no only Luke wants to escape from, but so does the audience, having been given a taste of what Luke is missing up there among the stars. These eighteen minutes of runtime present like two days within the movie's universe (the Jawa crawler drives overnight before ending up at the Lars homestead, and Luke and 3PO scan the horizon looking for R2 as night falls again, so by the time they go on their search for R2, it's closing in on 48 hours, depending on when exactly the escape pod slammed into that dune).

Unless, like, you want to cut the Binary Sunset, but that would be downright nutty.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Tatooine sequence of A New Hope is my favourite part of any Star Wars. Its slow pace, subtle world building and relative lack of shooty action really allows the setting to breathe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Tatooine sequence was heavily edited and it's interesting to see how different (and slower) the original was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Angry Salami posted:

Maz is a creepy little weirdo who talks a big game about fighting evil, but did nothing to stop the Empire, does nothing to stop the First Order, but will go all-in to take down striking workers. I'm honestly baffled as to what they thought they were going for with her.
She's Yoda for corporatists.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Salami posted:

We need to get Generation Y+Z on board with being crushed by the steel toed boot of corporate tyranny for the rest of their godforsaken lives.

Their only respite will be coming home exhausted and watching their fellow Star Wars fan doing Star Wars thing and acting all amazed and excited about it, in a carefully cultivated brand experience.

And whatever you do, don’t you even think about forming a union, because we will cut you down like pathetic little rats to be murdered off-screen.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Lucas probably still has toy license of the old characters (or a big cut), hense Darth Mickey wanted to clean house.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I gotta be honest, when Maz says she's handling a "labor dispute" I assumed that was just a cheeky way of saying that some of her criminal associates that she hired for a job double-crossed her, I don't think she's actually a Space Pinkerton.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Anyone who thinks the first act of ANH drags needs to watch any other movie from 1977.
Superman starts with 5 minutes of opening credits before ANYTHING actually happens. I mean actor names, not crawling expository text. At least it has John Williams rocking out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Tatooine sequence was heavily edited and it's interesting to see how different (and slower) the original was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Undoubtedly a huge improvement. Some of the original editing decisions are kind of baffling

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

High Lord Elbow posted:

Anyone who thinks the first act of ANH drags needs to watch any other movie from 1977.
Superman starts with 5 minutes of opening credits before ANYTHING actually happens. I mean actor names, not crawling expository text. At least it has John Williams rocking out.

The only movie one needs to watch from 1977 is Damnation Alley.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

pete's dragon

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Colostomy Bag posted:

Kingdom of the Spiders

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I gotta be honest, when Maz says she's handling a "labor dispute" I assumed that was just a cheeky way of saying that some of her criminal associates that she hired for a job double-crossed her, I don't think she's actually a Space Pinkerton.

She’s literally shooting at her employees

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CharlestonJew posted:

It was definitely tongue in cheek.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It’s a bizarre undercooked joke of some kind (rare in star wars 8 I know) but there’s really not enough context to determine what the intent was. But to me, “just make yoda but, uhhh, murderously hateful towards her own workers” is so profoundly disney I’m going with that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The point is the resistance are disgusting liberals who need to be thrown away which is hammered home through out the movie.

I mean maz is literally management shooting at workers during a strike or some other labor unrest. She’s a liberal capitalist

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Betray Mark Hamill
And kill your famil
To own the libs

Kylo 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

pete's dragon

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kingdom of the Spiders

Look, I appreciate your suggestions but only one movie had killer cockroaches. I repeat, killer cockroaches.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It still seems utterly insane to me that they knew from day 1 that the sequel films would be a trilogy, and they didn't bother to even plan a basic story arc outline for them.

They planned an arc.

"The first movie will be like ANH, the second will be like ESB, and the third will be like ROTJ"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The ST and its marketing has been a bit reminiscent of the 1980-81 season of Saturday Night Live, when they replaced all of the original cast, and the new (largely unknown) cast started the first episode by introducing themselves and telling the audience which former cast member they were most like.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mameluke posted:

Wasn't that always the hidden secret of the Rebellion, that it was just the surviving Confederacy plus whichever human elites got shut out of Palpatine's power grab?

I've always taken it as both the Empire and Rebellion are hybrids of different aspects of both sides of the Clone Wars, both in ideology/politics and in material. Ship wise the Rebellions Capital ships follow Separatist designs and are bulbous, often asymmetrical, and "organic" looking often with darker colors. Meanwhile the Empires uses the Star Destroyer Triangles of the Republic in bright near-white gray.. Conversely the Rebellions Starfighters follow from the Republics. They have a Light Grey shade with colored Speed lines color-scheme and a "Fighter Jet in Space" aesthetic, go for quality over quantity, and are often straight descendants. The Arc-170 to the X-Wing, The V-Wing and Episode II Jedi Straighter to the A-Wing, The Clone Y-Wing to the Rebel Y-Wing. Opposing this the Empire has dark blue and black Star Fighters, emphasize swarm tactics, and have unsettling engine sounds, and strange non-aerodynamic shapes.

Ideologically we see a similar realignment of interests where the Rebellion and Empire both take traits of the Clone Wars factions. The support base of the Empire is made up of a coalition of Old Republic militarists, Core World Big Business, and general authoritarian sympathizers in the Senate. The Rebellion meanwhile is founded on a coalition of Outer-Rim Populism, Force Religionist's and pro-Democracy Senators. Contrast to the Clone Wars, where the Republic was a teetering unstable mass of Pro-Democracy Senators, Force Religionists, Militarists, and Palpatine's authoritarian wing, while the Separatist's were a coalition of Core World Big Business, Outer-Rim Populism, and a group of duped pro-democracy Senators.

This is also why I disagree with the conclusion some have that the Rebellion is fighting to bring back the Republic as it was right before the Clone Wars. The reshuffling of all the factions had in effect put all the people who want that in the camp of the Empire, while those who even before the Clone Wars realized the need for a total restructuring of Galactic government fall into the Rebel fold. Conveniently enough the fact that the Empire owned/inherited the Old Republics framework means that upon victory the Rebellion in effect has to build something new and better even if they didn't want to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Barry Foster posted:

Undoubtedly a huge improvement. Some of the original editing decisions are kind of baffling

The finale is the most mind boggling improvement. That they created the whole death star attack on the rebel base in editing and off screen voice overs is incredible. Just imagine how little tension there would have been if they were just flying out to blow up the death star in deep space somewhere instead.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Maz is on the side of the workers in the union dispute, she's shooting scabs. This is canon.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
But it's her bar, she can just not hire scabs!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:hmmyes: I’ll slightly turn around on maz if she hired some scabs just so she could murder them

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

garycoleisgod posted:

But it's her bar, she can just not hire scabs!

The union dispute is not in her business, her bar was blown up by the first order (also note she worked her own bar, she is a gremlin of the people)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

She ain’t of the people. I didn’t see her pour no drinks. There’s a giant statue of her on top of the building, drat it! Guillotine!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Kart Barfunkel posted:

She ain’t of the people. I didn’t see her pour no drinks. There’s a giant statue of her on top of the building, drat it! Guillotine!

Her first appearance in non-statue form is literally her bussing a table of empty glasses!!

ok she might have hired the scabs but look she regrets it and is pro-union labor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hes hot on the trail for sacajaweas stolen beaver pelts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is he going to wear that helmet all the time?