Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm sure once subaru puts it into the STI, it will make a barn burning 315hp with a 3 second rev overhang that pulls timing when it gets above 40 degrees outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't be so sure, the market is passing by them in the performance per dollar category. The Focus RS exists, even if not in the US. The EU actually gets a bunch of competition for the STI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's in Colorado Springs, fyi. Truecar is showing it's a few miles away from me.

You can probably find a more reasonable price besides carvana. The niche of having it delivered doesn't seem like it would be worth whatever extra they charge for the novelty.

Eh, I wouldn't have it delivered, I work about a five minute walk from the Carvana headquarters in Tempe. Pickings is slim locally, unfortunately. It appears to be dead on KBB pricing, but I am not sure otherwise

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 5, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, well then, look north, bud.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/JF1VA2Y66G9830565/2016-subaru-wrx/

That's in Denver, cheaper, lower mileage.

Not red, but less ticket attention.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

um excuse me posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, the market is passing by them in the performance per dollar category. The Focus RS exists, even if not in the US. The EU actually gets a bunch of competition for the STI.

That hardly matters when they discontinued the STI in Europe. So they decided not to complete at all.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bummer. So it's JDM, USDM, and ADM? Youd figure the 2.0L STI would be a good fit.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

um excuse me posted:

So the STI 6 speed mates to this thing, so I don't think we have to worry about CVT limits.
Call me when the new engines come with UEL headers :smith:

um excuse me posted:

The RS exists in the US, unless you mean it's been discontinued and I wasn't aware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fifty Three posted:

The RS exists in the US, unless you mean it's been discontinued and I wasn't aware.

MY2018 was the last one. The last of the new ones for sale disappeared almost a year ago. Actually, that's a lie, there's one new one still on sale according to Autotrader, marked up to $70,000.

The Golf R remains the last manual AWD hot hatch in the US market and even that has ceased production and once inventory runs out it won't be back until late next year or early 2021 (depending on when VW decides to release the refreshed model.)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Golf R remains the last manual AWD hot hatch in the US market and even that has ceased production and once inventory runs out it won't be back until late next year or early 2021 (depending on when VW decides to release the refreshed model.)

And haven't they also confirmed the next gen R will not have a manual trans option?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fifty Three posted:

The RS has been discontinued and you weren't aware. You missed the fire sale.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anywho, just got off the phone with the tuner, I'm in the last couple of weeks of the build, they're going to do two oil changes. The first will be after 50 miles on the dyno and the last after 1000 miles. IAG stipulates that this or their recommended break in are necessary, but will deliver the car ready to go with it's final tune.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Guinness posted:

And haven't they also confirmed the next gen R will not have a manual trans option?

It's unclear when it comes to US. They discontinued the manual R in Europe for the MK7.5 but kept it for US.

The GTI and R combined have something like an over 50% manual take rate but I have a feeling the GTI is heavily weighting that.

That said, VW just developed a brand new 6 speed manual too (but it doesn't look like it will have the torque rating necessary for the R.)

But yeah, that uncertainty is why I jumped on a 2019 Golf R. Hopefully Subaru will have their house in order before the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty is up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a normal setup that the VA STI people run to get more rotation out of the car?

Also, is there anything 'required' to make them a little more reliable in stock motor form when tracked? It would be rad if a 17x10 +55 fit, but I haven't looked at wheel fitment at all yet.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 7, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Which year? 18+ is going to be questionable on those wheels with the new 6pots. +55 is stock offset but a 10" wide wheel is probably going to need a spacer to clear the front struts. They have a good amount of room for tire though, like 275s shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Newer subarus have a little better front suspension and geo- more caster, less bushing compliance, the spring rates are a little better balanced, and they have bigger swaybars. Alignment and a little more rear bar would be step one. Extra camber bolts or slotted front struts required to get enough front camber, rear camber not adjustable without an aftermarket LCA (or offset bushings for the upper a-arms but those are a huge hassle to change and adjust).

Things that come to mind for engine reliability on track
better pan and pickup
oil cooler
more water in the coolant
speed holes
aos
accusump
downpipe and tune
monitoring/logging coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is a 16. I have the wheels from the S2000 and I want to be able to run the STI a few times a year, nothing crazy. Is a pan a hoosier thing or is it a good driver on 100tw kinda thing? I'll be messaging you to see if you can get certain stuff sooner or later :v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The autocross folks seem to gravitate to max front camber, toe out the rear and a larger rear bar to comply with stock class rules. I myself run about -3° of front camber and -2° rear with stock geometry because the whole car is lowered about an inch and a half on Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2 coilovers in their recommended "race" damping configuration. I have mooresport top hats for the camber in the front. I actually kept the sway bars stock as they seem pretty well balanced to me. Toe and caster are stock. My next move would probably be adjustable LCAs for the rear just so I can tune the oversteer on corner exits. Right now I get some decent oversteer if I apply power just right. But boy does it rotate with this set up.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a normal setup that the VA STI people run to get more rotation out of the car?

Also, is there anything 'required' to make them a little more reliable in stock motor form when tracked? It would be rad if a 17x10 +55 fit, but I haven't looked at wheel fitment at all yet.

I have a 15 STI and a bigger rear sway and some more camber in the front made it neutral. I zeroed out the toe which I feel made it easier to rotate and fling round.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
My idea to make a VA rotate starts at a compeltely different area and it's the throttle mapping. That OEM setup really just doesnt work if you are trying to make the car rotate properly by weight shifting it. After the obvious alignment crap of course and adding more castor because it STILL lacks it.

quote:

the spring rates are a little better balanced

Ummmmm. Yeah nah mate that's not exactly what I would say. If anything I'm tossing that poo poo out if I have the money and putting something in that actually IS better balanced

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
60/40 distribution and ~3300 lbs with a 0.78:1 motion ratio means you need 1lb/in in the rear for every 1.17 lb/in in the front for a square compression rate. So if you have a 500lb/in front spring you need a 427 lb/in spring in the rear. The damping rate relative to each other are dependent of the sprung weight harmonics. I'd need more information than I currently have to figure that out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My idea to make a VA rotate starts at a compeltely different area and it's the throttle mapping. That OEM setup really just doesnt work if you are trying to make the car rotate properly by weight shifting it. After the obvious alignment crap of course and adding more castor because it STILL lacks it.

Ummmmm. Yeah nah mate that's not exactly what I would say. If anything I'm tossing that poo poo out if I have the money and putting something in that actually IS better balanced

How much caster does a 16 sti come with and what are the stock spring rates?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

60/40 distribution and ~3300 lbs with a 0.78:1 motion ratio means you need 1lb/in in the rear for every 1.17 lb/in in the front for a square compression rate. So if you have a 500lb/in front spring you need a 427 lb/in spring in the rear. The damping rate relative to each other are dependent of the sprung weight harmonics. I'd need more information than I currently have to figure that out.

Not the balance I was talking about tho - the VA chassis isn't good at being the kind of chassis you can drive on the edge or slightly over like a GC/GD can be, esp with how the throttle is calibrated - which is why I would go for throttle mapping first.

And then throw out the stock suspension. Subaru have in all honestly gone backwards in their ability to give you a good OEM setup that doesn't rely on griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip - which then translate to a slower chassis that doesnt really play as well over the limit.

You want the car to rotate? Give it the ability to obey the driver quickly first and TBH I don't entirely think it's suspension based given the electronics Subaru relies on more than good solid engineering these days. Best way I can put it is a GC8 with VA power to weight is faster despite the 20 years difference just due to being able to dance at the limit (There's some other factors there but if you are asking whether I'd be happier sliding a stockish GC8 at stupid speeds or a VA.... GC8 for sure) . Plus I'm 100% confident with a GC8 diving into turn 2 at Wakefield Park... the VA OTOH always just.... yeah there's something there that makes me have that grain of doubt that if I overcook, I'll be able to get away with it.

Stock castor is +5/+6 depending on who measures it and read what I said Jamal. I said it's STILL not enough.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
UPDATE ON THE EXPLODING FORESTER!

Jonny 290 posted:

appointment set to drag the thing to the dealership next week, we'll have them eye it up and then the fight begins!

Dealer threw out a initial quote for 7800 parts and labor for a 90k mile engine. (I laughed). note that the car itself only has 82k.

Said warranty denied cause "there wasn't enough oil in it" which makes sense BECAUSE THE OIL PAN IS GONE.

So, on to Subaru of America. Opened a case, they worked for a few days.

CURIOUSLY they were able to help the local dealer locate a new engine which would be 5300, parts and labor. They then offered me a $2k credit on a new Subaru.

I said that due to credit and this experience, I was not interested.

He put me on hold for three minutes and came back to say that they would be able to apply that $2k to the engine bill.

So, now we are looking at $3300 - probably plus tax? - for a new motor, parts and labor.

I'm pretty sure that is a workable deal, and I will eat ramen and maybe have to crowdfund a thousand or so so I don't starve, but-- it's in the sane range.

mustard_tiger posted:

Not to take anything from your fight but windowing a block usually doesn't happen that often. Do you have any idea what happened?

She doesn't know poo poo about cars and just said "it made a funny noise and died." That's all I've got. I'm def going to talk to the techs and see if I can get some pics of the old engine, for the thread and my records.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anything can throw a rod at random honestly, if you see enough of the same engine eventually you'll see one do it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Further note that I am talking myself into this because evidently FB25's are a timing chain setup, so I am hopeful that i will never have to gently caress with this car again.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Long block is done.

It goes in this week, tune and break in next week.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Discovered two days ago that during the airbag recall on the Outback the dealership didn't put the battery back in properly (why they took it out I have no idea). The threaded rod on the left wasn't secured and the nut was also cranked so far down I had 2+ inches sticking out the top side of it, the rod on the right (closest to the left wheel) has a big bend in the top 1-2" also. Just glad the car ran out of wiper fluid before getting into a wreck so I could spot the issue.

Anyone have a good Subaru NA email contact? I tried calling but put my name on the callback list in the automated system and haven't heard poo poo back. I really just want them to send me a new tiedown setup even though it's not expensive.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is why hatchbacks are the best.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Internet Explorer posted:

Last time I moved house, I didn't bother with a moving truck, I just packed everything into the hatchback and was done in three trips.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have an 2017 STI and I've had the blower seems to cutoff a bit when it was super hot out one day. As in, I crank it to 100% airflow and it is barely pushing air out. Eventually it returned to normal operating conditions after I got on the highway. It also seems to come and go between the correct speed and very low speed. Right now it seems stable and I haven't been able to reproduce it on demand so I haven't taken it in to the dealer. Any thing I can check or is it normal for it to do that?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Boner Wad posted:

I have an 2017 STI and I've had the blower seems to cutoff a bit when it was super hot out one day. As in, I crank it to 100% airflow and it is barely pushing air out. Eventually it returned to normal operating conditions after I got on the highway. It also seems to come and go between the correct speed and very low speed. Right now it seems stable and I haven't been able to reproduce it on demand so I haven't taken it in to the dealer. Any thing I can check or is it normal for it to do that?

The easy thing to do is check the cabin air filter.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My '17 WRX has started producing a squeak when pressing on the clutch. I believe I'm still covered under power train warranty. This should probably be covered by that right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I tried complaining about a noisy throwout bearing while my car was still under the powertrain warranty and was told that the power train only covered the transmission itself and the engine internals and that they couldn't do anything under warranty.

You can try though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

The easy thing to do is check the cabin air filter.

Could it be the blower fan resistor?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, I love being able to just fill my car with poo poo easily:

Also picked up some old WRX rims with snow tires on them to use this winter instead of just relying on AWD to keep me out of trouble. :toot:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I tried complaining about a noisy throwout bearing while my car was still under the powertrain warranty and was told that the power train only covered the transmission itself and the engine internals and that they couldn't do anything under warranty.

You can try though.

Out of curiosity what did you end up doing about it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

net work error posted:

Out of curiosity what did you end up doing about it?

Nothing. It was a whrring sound when I pushed in the clutch on my 2011 WRX that started at like the year 4 mark and I traded it in on my Golf R this June at just over 8.5 years old and it neither got better or worse and still continued working.

I had another drivetrain adjacent item that they refused to cover under the drivetrain warranty. The pipe connecting the intercooler to the intake developed a crack and needed replacing and I got the same line then, only engine internals were covered under the drivetrain warranty. Anything external that bolts on to the engine wasn't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Despair posted:

Yeah, I love being able to just fill my car with poo poo easily:

Also picked up some old WRX rims with snow tires on them to use this winter instead of just relying on AWD to keep me out of trouble. :toot:

Went to go pick up some material for a job. Didn't feel like breaking the pallet apart, told them to just load it in there with the forklift. Don't be fooled, that's close to half a ton of material. (I think it was acetal, don't remember, photo is from 2013) Plus the pallet, I'm pretty sure I hit the maximum load rating of the car just by itself, before myself and a passenger were included.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

net work error posted:

My '17 WRX has started producing a squeak when pressing on the clutch. I believe I'm still covered under power train warranty. This should probably be covered by that right?

My 15 WRX had the same issue and they covered it, I think it was under 2 years old at the time. I think that there was TSB for the 15 models though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
News to me. I mentioned it back in '14 and they said they weren't going to cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

um excuse me posted:

News to me. I mentioned it back in '14 and they said they weren't going to cover it.

Sometimes this is a dealership experience thing. I had an '03 WRX with some issues the local dealer said were normal, like first-gear grinding at a complete stop. :rolleyes: I took it 80 miles to another dealer, but they fixed everything under warranty.