Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

depends on how you self-medicate

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

Older model Massey Fergusson (whatever year they still made the manual 3-speed) and I honestly didn't give a lot of head? I'll let you know once I figure out what the gently caress that is in norwegian.

E: gotcha, we don't call it that. The haspel and knivstong is a regular grain header, reciprocating knife cutter, you know. Standard universal, mostly for barley and oats. Moves around a bit though, since nothing is flat.

Chainsaw maintenance is pretty new, what'd you use that for. Giant variator belt tangle? Rat nest?
My dad used to harvest prairie grasses (usually big and little bluestem plus others) and somehow the whole internal mechanism that shoves the stalks back to be chopped got totally jammed up, so we had to open the hatch and crawl in then get the chainsaw in to cut it all apart. As I recall, hairy vetch caused similar problems

Masseys are nice, good luck keeping it maintained. Last time I messed with a combine my uncle was hacksawing a bolt to keep the corn head knife cutter working because he only had 3 hours of good weather to harvest before the next storm. poo poo like that is why I know a half dozen farmers missing fingers/toes or even hands

Also the best girls for geralt are Shani (too good for him) , jutta and syanna.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 5, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

going for both is the only justifiable option.

Both applying and not applying to law school sounds like a challenging proposition. But I suppose you could always steal someone's identity and use that one to apply, then keep your own in reserve.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Go to law school and three years later you can be placed in charge of solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict!

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/avi-berkowitz-middle-east-envoy-trump-kushner-greenblatt.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Q. Okay. Do you have -- when the guy sold you the car did he give you a manual?
Q. And how thoroughly, if at all, did you read it?
A. I didn't read the manual. I asked -- when I went to the dealer, I asked the dealer, one of the technicians there to explain it to me.
Q. Yeah.
A. To show me how the -- how it works.
Q. How much time did he spend doing that?
A. Because I'm a very tech savvy person myself, not that much.
[...]
A. I remember my coffee splattered all over the place and spilled and my bagel was smashed.
[...]
Q. Okay. All right. So anything else you can think about telling me, you feel like, about the car? Anything you think that would be useful?
A. About the car. I think, the car, it's just the name that they put on that technology is giving people a false sense of autopilot. Because when they tell you it's autopilot, you're saying, okay, it's autopilot. It's not. It will help you and but you have to be aware of your surrounding and everything.
Q. Now, did you -- did this crash help you come to that or --

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hmmm going to my first PD conference tomorrow, any absolute rules of etiquette I need to be mindful of?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

My dad used to harvest prairie grasses (usually big and little bluestem plus others) and somehow the whole internal mechanism that shoves the stalks back to be chopped got totally jammed up, so we had to open the hatch and crawl in then get the chainsaw in to cut it all apart. As I recall, hairy vetch caused similar problems

Masseys are nice, good luck keeping it maintained. Last time I messed with a combine my uncle was hacksawing a bolt to keep the corn head knife cutter working because he only had 3 hours of good weather to harvest before the next storm. poo poo like that is why I know a half dozen farmers missing fingers/toes or even hands

Also the best girls for geralt are Shani (too good for him) , jutta and syanna.

The main conveyor funnel? Can't have been the cutting board auger, but I can totally see the funnel needing rooting out with tough straws. Oats and barley is loving easy mode compared to that sounds like, biggest issues seem to be the straw swath getting gunked, wearing out the main variator on the hill climb and loving tipping over on hill turns. Mountain country.

Farming is hard and ungrateful work. Best that can be said for it is independence and only having the elements for boss. Dangerous work though.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Hmmm going to my first PD conference tomorrow, any absolute rules of etiquette I need to be mindful of?

Yeah, whatever you do make sure you don't mention the

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don’t ask anyone if they’re members of “the tribe”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Farming is hard and ungrateful work. Best that can be said for it is independence and only having the elements for boss. Dangerous work though.

Oh no it's raining too much or too little or too early or too late, guess we just die now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh no it's raining too much or too little or too early or too late, guess we just die collect our crop insurance payout now.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol do it idiot. You loving imbecile. You absolute clown

- ted thompson, to himself, thinking about drafting yet another roided linebacker over a competent defense

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

If this is your first PD conference, don't argue with the faculty. If they savage you, just roll with it. On the other hand, if no one gives you any criticism at all, it means they think you suck so bad that you'll quit on your own.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is this a trial college or just a PD specific CLE?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

GamingHyena posted:

Is this a trial college or just a PD specific CLE?

Its a conference for every PD in the state of Colorado.

I know they do a bunch of CLE certifications there but I get.the feeling that's not the main draw.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Its a conference for every PD in the state of Colorado.

I know they do a bunch of CLE certifications there but I get.the feeling that's not the main draw.

I see. Then be mindful of the PD rules of etiquette and try and cherry the bowl after it's passed to you.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 7, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pass the dutchie pon the left hand side

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My friend goes to the PD conference for our state. They give out awards like "most drugs suppressed in a single motion" and so forth. He won that one year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Go to all the drinking events. No one (who is a lawyer) parties like PDs.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I passed the bar. Just found out this afternoon. Thank loving god.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

The Kingfish posted:

Congrats! I just found out myself a couple weeks back. Feels good man

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

thehoodie posted:

Congrats! I just found out myself a couple weeks back. Feels good man

Congrats dude! First time I’ve felt completely relaxed since 1L year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Kingfish posted:

Congrats dude! First time I’ve felt completely relaxed since 1L year.

Enjoy that for the next 12 hours.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Enjoy that for the next 12 hours.

Yeah it'll be the last time.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Petey posted:

let me rephrase: should I go to law school if I get into harvard or yale with some need-based aid (see below) and my goals are to work in academia and/or running a nonprofit but a PhD in history/anthro/etc is possibly an even worse idea, somehow

(for those of you who don't remember me from a literal decade ago, hi, had a 173 and a 3.9 back in 2009, withdrew from (non HYS) law school before attending on advice of thread, went to work in education, got a masters // published some papers // teaching as an adjunct on the side, probably need a doctorate of some kind of achieve my Long Term Goals)

no. in my early thirties with no assets (other than whatever's in my meager 401k; everything probably cancels out).

none of these apply either obvs

hi granddad

less circle-jerkey: I went to the HLS info session and was shocked they accept the GRE now? had put law school aside, but given my eligibility for modest need-based aid, and my geographic constraints, seemed like maybe worth throwing my hat back in the ring for HLS/YLS if I'm also going to apply for a few of the PhDs in the area too, given the debt load might end up being the same when you account for length of time. I haven't paid that much attention to how the market or other big picture dynamics have changed in recent years, nor how the GRE is being taken into account (unsurprisingly, their admissions officers would not tell me) these days (though I could take the LSAT again if I had to).

drat, welcome back Petey.

Some of my peers have gone into legal academia, mostly clinical teaching. None so far have gotten a permanent position, all but one had to relocate to a much smaller/less desirable city. They're all on fellowships or contracts that last one or two years, then get renewed (or don't). From history PhDs I know, the humanities job market is even worse. We are talking about people who graduated from history doctoral programs at places like Berkeley, teaching in non-tenure positions at small colleges in the middle of nowhere. My understanding is that the academic job market (both law and humanities) is incredibly oversupplied.

I don't see why you'd want a JD to run a nonprofit; really, you would want area expertise and to be a go-getter, that's it. What field would the nonprofit operate in?

Overall, I'm happy with the choice to get a JD rather than a history PhD (which I was also considering 10 years ago!) but that's because I more or less enjoy being a lawyer. I can't imagine enduring three years of loving law school otherwise; it's not an intellectually stimulating environment.

Just do what you really want to do, which is get the PhD.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Depends entirely on the dynamic of your state's PD bar. And your own local office.

For example, our non-union head management are notoriously tools. My immediate supervisors are awesome and sarcastic. So etiquette for us at prosecutor conferences entails making pithy comments just loud enough to get a laugh at our table but not loud enough to be heard by the presenters. And also seeing who can hip check their way to fist in the lunch line. this behavior would likely result in a reprimand at a different office.

For your first one, I'd recommend keeping your head down, sitting near someone friendly with your supervisors but not your actual supervisor, and taking a few notes, but not so many notes that you look like a tool.

I also have a few special requirements. Somehow I managed to imposter my way into being "the smart one" at my office, and so I feed my boss rebuttals to how the advice being offered in presentations by the lawyers in appellate who have never tried a case is completely impractical outside academic theory and law school exams. which he then delivers. with as much snark as possible.

But mostly I just play games on my phone.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ActusRhesus posted:

And also seeing who can hip check their way to fist in the lunch line.

You’d think consent would be more of a concern at the cop conference.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

ActusRhesus posted:

For your first one, I'd recommend keeping your head down, sitting near someone friendly with your supervisors but not your actual supervisor, and taking a few notes, but not so many notes that you look like a tool.

This is good advice. I'll throw in take notes on a yellow pad and not on your computer because there will probably be actual useful poo poo you can learn at the lectures (unlike law school).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Picturing a line of cop lawyers jockeying to get first crack at the fettuccini alfredo, everyone yelling “stop resisting!” as they thrust their groins at one another

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tokelau All Star posted:

This is good advice. I'll throw in take notes on a yellow pad and not on your computer because there will probably be actual useful poo poo you can learn at the lectures (unlike law school).

*Dutifully takes notes*

I'm starting as a PD on Monday and then going to the state PD conference in two weeks, so this'll all be useful for me too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Things are going well in New Hampshire

https://www.concordmonitor.com/AG-takes-over-county-prosecutor-s-office-citing-failures-28289885

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

The Kingfish posted:

Another month and a half here in PA :(

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Hip check may have been an exaggeration.

But it is uncanny how we always seem to make the food line first.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

If you get useful poo poo I envy you.

We have occasionally useful one day trainings on specific topics. But our annual division conference is useless. Mostly because of the heavy handed “California prosecutors are unethical but we’re going to ignore that none of or examples come from this state and berate you for an hour on what monsters you all are”, or the completely impractical advice of appellate. Those segments are awesome. Last time it was “how to create a record just in case someone raises a Battson challenge on appeal.” Actual advice. Keep notes in the file on race of all potential jurors. I pointed out the juror questionnaires are already part of the record. “Well. But a lot of times they don’t answer all the questions." Sorry. Not going to start guessing what race a person identifies as. And not putting work product in the file once trial is done.

Battson is kind of a foreign concept to me anyway bc our panels are extremely diverse and usually it’s the clueless affluent (that’s my race neutral reason for booting them) white soccer moms I want gone. And lawyers and doctors. I’m sure kicking blacks off juries happens in other places, so Battson is important. It’s just really not something we deal with in my jurisdiction. I’ve been challenged once. Was asinine. We had already seated 4 black jurors. That entire day’s panel was black. The defendant was not black, from El Salvador. Murder case. Killed his girlfriend. And I had 10 challenges left. So basically I was waiting for my unicorn juror and there was a lady two jurors down that I got a really good vibe from. So I was challenging everyone until we got to her.

And then she was removed for cause. So.... my instinct was right. She was great for us. Just a little too great.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 8, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Batson is important because places like Mississippi are still extremely racist. c.f. Curtis Flowers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Batson is important because places like Mississippi are still extremely racist. c.f. Curtis Flowers.

Yup. Definitely. I just have serious issues with “guessing” a person’s race as was the advice given by appellate who have never seen a jury panel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What do y'all think of these jury services consultancies?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

ActusRhesus posted:

Yup. Definitely. I just have serious issues with “guessing” a person’s race as was the advice given by appellate who have never seen a jury panel.

If the juror's race isn't listed in the questionnnaire and wasn't developed on the record then it doesn't sound like there was anything to appeal. It seems to me that you'd be adding more fuel to the fire by putting "probably black" next to a juror you struck.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Dagda posted:

drat, welcome back Petey.

Just do what you really want to do, which is get the PhD.

appreciate the feedback!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Petey posted:

- ted thompson, to himself, thinking about drafting yet another roided linebacker over a competent defense

there was no need to get personal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Petey posted:

appreciate the feedback!

Off topic, but were you the guy that had a bullet Go thru your house during the Boston marathon bolting manhunt? I feel like the name is similar but you’re saying you don’t own any assets so now I’m doubting myself