Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

If nothing else the flight sim market can keep high end VR alive indefinitely. TrackIR (6 DOF head tracking) went through at least 5 product iterations before VR came along.

I still run across people in simracing forums loving around with trackir setups in tyool 2019.

Just buy a used Rift already, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I still run across people in simracing forums loving around with trackir setups in tyool 2019.

Just buy a used Rift already, drat.

It's unreal that they're still charging $150 for what amounts to a webcam and few infrared LEDs

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
But how do I buy Tetris? Ok Epic exclusive, I don't care, but do I need to play it via Steam or how does this poo poo work? VR is so drat janky all the time...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PerOlus posted:

But how do I buy Tetris? Ok Epic exclusive, I don't care, but do I need to play it via Steam or how does this poo poo work? VR is so drat janky all the time...

Buy it on Epic, and it's an option when you go to launch it from the Epic store, off the little drop down menu on the game. You can't miss it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah and checking out that channel in general, dudes pretty comfy playing WoW and Risk of Rain. Highly doubt he wants to move.

And other chats, thats kinda what I meant. Most people who poo poo on it are dumbasses who've never really used a setup. Streamers included. Only time I ever really see it is when I'm babysitting a sponsor stream or something, and itll be a streamer who normally streams something FLAT and they have some fans who are going "OMG VR IS SO DUMB GO BACK TO FORNITE". Rarely is it someone who actually has any idea about VR.

Ah, i get you now. And yeah, VR streamers are rare, not really chat friendly to flail around in VR i guess.

Songbearer posted:

Streamers and streaming culture are scum (sorry saq love ya)

99% of channels i agree for sure, mostly what sells on Twitch is softcore nudity, toxcicity, dunking on other people, stirring up drama or yeeting your cat across the room. But there are some genuinely great communities in there with nice, fun people centered around truly entertaining individuals. But yeah, its the bad poo poo that sells.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Adept Nightingale posted:

Yeah, you can run steamvr fine this way. I just picked up a quest myself after figuring out there was no way tp get the rift s's displayport connection to work on my laptop, and it works shockingly well with steamvr.

Awesome, thanks! Just pulled the trigger.

For multiplatform games, is there any advantage to playing a PCVR version over a standalone version? I figure I'll get Beat Saber on Steam if it's any better, but if there's no real difference might as well get it from the standalone store so it's usable wherever.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All these goons saying VRs doing fine have me worried VRs not doing fine...

Standalone VR would be ideal for adoption but it is and always will be fighting physics, in terms of processing power that can fit in a small enough space, heat produced by said processing, and power needed to run it.

PCVR's big problem as I see it, is that it's expensive, even though it's getting cheaper. A VR ready computer costs twice what a basic home PC does, and even moreso if you want it in a laptop. Convenience compared to standalone is a hindrance, but if you could put the headset and a sff PC together at the right price I think itd be pretty popular. Sadly I think that price is like $500 so it might be a while.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mashed_penguin posted:

Oculus has said that a "Rift 2" would be something that breaks compatibility with titles designed for current gen VR headsets. :shrug:
What a loving stupid statement is that? Isn't it the job of the middleware to mediate?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

What a loving stupid statement is that? Isn't it the job of the middleware to mediate?

Yes it’s a pretty loving dumb statement. Multifocal displays will be a different rendering path inside the game engine, headsets without it on the same engine just won’t use it.
Shocking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I mean, yes and no

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/oculus-on-the-sort-of-features-an-oculus-rift-2-would-need-1203177271/

quote:

Rubin, vice president in charge of content at Oculus, tells Variety that the Oculus Rift S is a half-step forward, an iterative improvement on many of the software and hardware systems built into the headset, that still isn’t quite enough to call it the next Oculus Rift.

“It’s not fundamentally changing the product,” Rubin said. “It’s a progression, it’s an improvement.”

While the result is an across the board improvement in the system and ease with which one can use it, it’s still not enough to call it an Oculus Rift 2, Rubin said.

“I think if we did something we honestly called a 2 and felt comfortable with that name, it would need to include radical new tech,” he said. “Like body tracking, eye tracking, a new form of input, a lot of things that would create a new ecosystem.

“If we added things like that it would radically change the ecosystem.”

In other words, an Oculus Rift 2 would be so different than the previous models that some games and experiences created for the original Oculus Rift simply wouldn’t work on the new one and new experiences and games created for the 2 absolutely wouldn’t work on the original.

There’s nothing about the Oculus Rift S, Rubin points out, that forces you to upgrade from the Rift.

“The Rift is fully in the ecosystem,” he said. “There’s no need to upgrade.”

He's not saying that as a reason why they didn't do it, so much as that it's why they wouldn't consider the S a "Rift 2." I agree the part about saying the old stuff wouldn't work on the new hardware doesn't really make sense, but it's just kind of clarifying that it's iterative rather than something new. Lowest Common Denominator is also definitely an issue at the moment; if you're trying to grow the market, it wouldn't make sense to create hardware that would require specific software made for it that most people wouldn't be able to use.

ItBreathes posted:

Standalone VR would be ideal for adoption but it is and always will be fighting physics, in terms of processing power that can fit in a small enough space, heat produced by said processing, and power needed to run it.

PCVR's big problem as I see it, is that it's expensive, even though it's getting cheaper. A VR ready computer costs twice what a basic home PC does, and even moreso if you want it in a laptop. Convenience compared to standalone is a hindrance, but if you could put the headset and a sff PC together at the right price I think itd be pretty popular. Sadly I think that price is like $500 so it might be a while.

In theory this is true, but in practice the Quest is plenty strong enough to handle a ton of PCVR-quality games. They did a great job optimizing things and stuff like active cooling and foveated rendering helps a lot. Try out something like Vader Immortal, it looks legitimately great and runs really well.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

Awesome, thanks! Just pulled the trigger.

For multiplatform games, is there any advantage to playing a PCVR version over a standalone version? I figure I'll get Beat Saber on Steam if it's any better, but if there's no real difference might as well get it from the standalone store so it's usable wherever.

Standalone versions are always gonna be superior for a couple reasons-- fidelity's going to be better in general and there's no chance for latency. Also the desktop version stuff does take an external shell to get into -- you may as well google Sidequest now, because you're going to need to drop into developer mode and get either Virtual Desktop or ALVR to get into it. For something like Beat Saber I'd definitely go with the Quest store version-- wi-fi tethering like this is best used for games that aren't available on Quest.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Shine posted:

Buy it on Epic, and it's an option when you go to launch it from the Epic store, off the little drop down menu on the game. You can't miss it.

Thanks, I just had a session with the game, and the experience was strong for me.
Tetris Effect is really good you all!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dongattack posted:

Ah, i get you now. And yeah, VR streamers are rare, not really chat friendly to flail around in VR i guess.

99% of channels i agree for sure, mostly what sells on Twitch is softcore nudity, toxcicity, dunking on other people, stirring up drama or yeeting your cat across the room. But there are some genuinely great communities in there with nice, fun people centered around truly entertaining individuals. But yeah, its the bad poo poo that sells.

Yeah, You're watching the wrong channels man. VR streamers aint "rare" anymore, we're around. We exist. The problem is twitch don't give a gently caress about VR. We put together a panel for twitchcon, with literally THE BEST in content creators. We basically poo poo on the production quality of 95% of the big partner streamers. We had corp sponsorship, a headset to give away, games to give away, swag bags. Whole 9 yards. Basically big enough to be an event itself.

Panel denied.

Why? Because apparently a panel teaching people how to loving parent is more important.

Seriously the reason you folks see so few VR streamers is theres just no good way to find em.

For real though man. poo poo tons of good communities. I've had the exact opposite exp with twitch as far as toxic stuff goes. Its been super chill.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know anything about the VR implementation in Falcon Age, apparently that just dropped on EGS today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Z-0hl5yTY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BMan posted:

It's unreal that they're still charging $150 for what amounts to a webcam and few infrared LEDs

On the one hand, yeah, it’s crappy, on the other hand if you can bilk simracing and flight sim graybeards for $150, why would you not?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JLhendT.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ItBreathes posted:

Hardware and software also get more efficient as well as faster over time, there's not a direct 1:1 correlation there. Also even just for a single console you should look at what a launch title looks like vs one released at the end of its life from a developer that's learned how to get the most out of the hardware.

At the end of the day, convenience will trump a lot. PCVR is undoubtedly better on a technical level, but a standalone headset is plug-and-play, and plays most of the same games for a lot cheaper. That's gonna be the end of the argument for most people who want VR but aren't tech-savvy.

The problem there is that the Lighthouse ecosystem is already 2/3 on that with the Knuckle Controllers and Trackers, with the ability to be expanded dynamically with new technology, while the Rift S went well in the other way to the most reductive form possible with no way out beyond "Buy a whole new Oculus setup". And in the case of eye tracking, even if they don't seem to have gotten anywhere near retail as far as I can tell, a couple of companies reckoned they could supposedly dial that tech down to replacement lens inserts on the existing Vive.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 7, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Racket Fury has some rad physics, but I’m not so into the old dudes breathing heavy into their mics and my ears.

Oh no, can they hear me? Is there a button to quick toggle the mic on Quest? Is the “record audio” option actually my mic?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Do you have a link to the whole video?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ItBreathes posted:

Or you get a PS4/5 and a PSVR1/2 and have serviceable (probably pretty drat good when 5+2 finally both come out) VR that is bone headedly simple to setup, looks good, and has a really easily accessible market with a built in infrastructure.

I love how this thread just consistently ignores PSVR when it's currently still the most popular VR system on the market and is not going ANYWHERE - Sony has actually doubled down on PS5 and made VRa cornerstone of their console strategy. They also fund more VR gaming than even Facebook does for Oculus.

I mean yeah, current PSVR can't hold a candle to PCVR in terms of quality of experience, but you can't deny it works and takes no skill or effort to get working, and has gotten a loving shitton of people into VR. I feel like my previous statement about Smug Internet Scorn is very much applicable to this thread and PSVR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuzz posted:

Or you get a PS4/5 and a PSVR1/2 and have serviceable (probably pretty drat good when 5+2 finally both come out) VR that is bone headedly simple to setup, looks good, and has a really easily accessible market with a built in infrastructure.

I love how this thread just consistently ignores PSVR when it's currently still the most popular VR system on the market and is not going ANYWHERE - Sony has actually doubled down on PS5 and made VRa cornerstone of their console strategy. They also fund more VR gaming than even Facebook does for Oculus.

I mean yeah, current PSVR can't hold a candle to PCVR in terms of quality of experience, but you can't deny it works and takes no skill or effort to get working, and has gotten a loving shitton of people into VR. I feel like my previous statement about Smug Internet Scorn is very much applicable to this thread and PSVR.

Most of the PSVR talk tends to happen in its own thread rather than here, that's why it's not really brought up much. PSVR's not bad for games built for it, and it does have some great games, but the more VR technology releases, the less impressive it gets as its limits become more visible. Especially with the Quest out now and doing a lot more without a PS4 attached.

I'm definitely looking forward to what comes of the PSVR2 though, and I can't wait to see how good a VR experience they can deliver off the PS5. Considering PSVR right now can run some PCVR titles, it should be pretty impressive if they can fix the original model's lovely tracking and build some proper VR controllers for it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Two boomerangs...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

pyrotek posted:

Do you have a link to the whole video?

Being the Beat Saber Darth Maul guy I got pinged on this approximately 1 million times across twitter/twitch/discord/etc
She’s a Chinese tiktok uploaded and here is her link: https://www.tiktok.com/@playernumber_one/video/6685927558791367941
Haven’t been able to figure out what song it is though, it’s not centipede/sithipede

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t know much about maul saber, so forgive my ignorance here. Is she particularly good, or is it that someone else who isn’t saq is doing it at all, or what’s the big thing with that video? I’ve seen it all over reddit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jenny Agutter posted:

Two boomerangs...

If you accidentally throw one while playing beat saber it'll come back. :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeh, I'm not so optimistic about standalone VR either. Even Carmack said that PCs can come with up to 20x-50x the processing power (probably a sum of CPU and GPU), which in return allows for quite a bit of visual quality. Low level graphics will probably cut it for a short while, but eventually people want better. There's only so much trickery you will be able to do in software. As if current game companies aren't already trying to push the envelope.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/839960/ Got this today after seeing a recommendation and can give it a thumbs up. The premise is you're a hacker/infiltrator and have to complete logic/circuitry puzzles while under fire. I'm only very early on but it's pretty great so far, feels sorta like a solo Keep talking and noone explodes, which I absolutely loved.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
:dukedog:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t know much about maul saber, so forgive my ignorance here. Is she particularly good, or is it that someone else who isn’t saq is doing it at all, or what’s the big thing with that video? I’ve seen it all over reddit.

I think it's that the staff is much much longer than the one saq uses, besides the obvious perv appeal

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Walrus posted:

I think it's that the staff is much much longer than the one saq uses, besides the obvious perv appeal

At the end of the video it shows the actual “staff” is just 2 vive controllers with a short thing linking them. The longer staff you see during gameplay is just the game projecting out.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the star wars kid was ahead of his time

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

anyone tried this yet (Falcon Age):

https://twitter.com/ekanaut/status/1170028782532456448

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

The Walrus posted:

She’s not bad. She’s not using a staff, that’s just a saber skin. Shes using this Maul saber adapter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2908825 so is actually quite small
As far as skill, you be the judge: https://youtu.be/Eha9nDJ62i8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeh, I'm not so optimistic about standalone VR either. Even Carmack said that PCs can come with up to 20x-50x the processing power (probably a sum of CPU and GPU), which in return allows for quite a bit of visual quality. Low level graphics will probably cut it for a short while, but eventually people want better. There's only so much trickery you will be able to do in software. As if current game companies aren't already trying to push the envelope.

The problem is you're assuming everyone case about graphics being the end-all be-all of VR gaming. All most people care is "holy poo poo, lookit my hands flailing about in this neat virtual room! Oh poo poo, there's the wall...", or maybe "Wee, Beatsaber!! :supaburn:", and the fact that you don't have to put much effort into setting it up or plug it in to anything.

The Quest as-is does a pretty okay job with ports of current titles, and there's not really a whole lot to get excited over that isn't either already ported, or in the process of being ported, outside of maybe Stormlands and the hardcore enthusiast titles like racing games. And the latter aren't even really the same market, because if you're really dipping into those then chances are you're spending big on your setup anyway and looking for a dedicated PCVR headset.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is you're assuming everyone case about graphics being the end-all be-all of VR gaming. All most people care is "holy poo poo, lookit my hands flailing about in this neat virtual room! Oh poo poo, there's the wall...", or maybe "Wee, Beatsaber!! :supaburn:", and the fact that you don't have to put much effort into setting it up or plug it in to anything.
Yeah, now. Once VR becomes an "old hat", it's not "woo virtual hands!!!!11!" :supaburn: anymore.

Eventually the content becomes more complex and you have to work towards more photorealistic content.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I have a 4k TV and a Beefy Gaming PC I use with it so graphics are at least important enough to me to spend multiple thousands of dollars to crank settings on games that would still be perfectly playable on a less expensive system. I still went with the Quest because being untethered was more important to me, and even though getting an Index with an eventual $300 wireless adapter would do the same thing better I don't think it's worth the price difference. The immersion does enough to make it satisfying, kind of in the same way that I don't care about the Switch not doing 4k because the art design in Nintendo first party games is so good I still think it looks completely fine.

Is Virtual Desktop worth the price over ALVR? I've read mixed things about their streaming performance, with some people saying that if you have an NVidia card and enable ultra low latency mode VD works especially well.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 7, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, now. Once VR becomes an "old hat", it's not "woo virtual hands!!!!11!" :supaburn: anymore.

Eventually the content becomes more complex and you have to work towards more photorealistic content.

Lol, no

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lol, no they don't. Stylized graphics have been around forever, generally don't age anywhere near as badly as realistic graphics, and abstract environments are half the fun of VR. Why be realistic when you can get fuckin' weird?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Implementing proper realtime reflections and lighting would push the performance requirements up, too. Even for stylized content (I figure things like CP2077 count as stylized). Having matte shaded or fake reflections is bullshit that needs to go eventually. Low performance platforms dragging this poo poo out is something I rather not have.

And IMO, stylized sucks in VR. It gets old quickly, once you're past the novelty of the hopefully innovative gameplay that came with it.

--edit: I guess the tl,dr is that flat screen games get you used to a certain visual fidelity, and I certainly do want to see the same in VR. The lovely Snapdragon et al aren't sufficient to replicate that.

gently caress off.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: I guess the tl,dr is that flat screen games get you used to a certain visual fidelity, and I certainly do want to see the same in VR. The lovely Snapdragon et al aren't sufficient to replicate that.

gently caress off.

Yes, flat screen games certainly do that. The photorealism of GTA 3 is the reason why that game was successful. Gaming wasn't really going anywhere until Crysis released.