Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Gynovore posted:

The 5C/column lore reveals that for the past ~10 years they have been basically Shanghai-ing people off the street and brainwashing them. I think we can assume that only a tiny fraction of their forces are SEAL-ish super soldiers, most being just random schlubs.

The Column basically have a 3x3 grid of Soldiers:

Nebel, Nacht, and Raserei x Basic, Elite, Ubermenchen.

Basic Nebel are the guys you're talking about, the lowest of the low. You only fight these guys from level 1 to 4

Paragonwiki posted:

It doesn't take much training or expertise to join the 5th Column. Members who have neither receive basic weapons and are immediately put into service in the ranks of the Nebel, the 5th Column's front-line ranks. After all, the 5th Column believes in the survival of the fittest.

Nacht Elite, the ones at the 'middle' of the 3x3, with guys above and below them in both training/serum/loyalty, are the ones with this blurb

Paragonwiki posted:

The Nacht Elites are world-class special forces operatives, as well trained as any Navy SEAL. They're expert insurgents, capable of infiltrating a target swiftly and silently, then taking it down. Elites undergo a basic super soldier regimen designed to heighten their stealth, accuracy and concentration. These enhancements make them incredibly dangerous, especially when encountered in force.

Which is what gave me the impression that stuff like Raserei Ubermenchen, the top of their 'conventional troops' tree, could kick around conventional military forces without much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doon
May 4, 2005
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
So I had a dumb idea and made a plant/thermal controller...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Doon posted:

So I had a dumb idea and made a plant/thermal controller...

Also check out Plant/Fire Dominators for both better controls and good DPS. :drugnerd:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
This whole CoH hype reminded me how much i loved the game back in the day and how much it was always a bad game. Back to spreadsheets in space I guess :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
lol you guys enjoying blowjobs are a bunch of cucks, now excuse me while i go punch myself in the face repeatedly :shrek:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

adary posted:

This whole CoH hype reminded me how much i loved the game back in the day and how much it was always a bad game. Back to spreadsheets in space I guess :)

this is almost as bad as The Anthem Goon

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't feel all that strongly about it but "the game you guys like isn't fun, EVE online is fun" is a wild take

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I AM THE MOON posted:

this is almost as bad as The Anthem Goon

words can hurt

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

In no particular order, here’s names I have written down and am reasonably sure are still free but shouldn’t use because there’s only so many alts I can actually play:

Zookreeper
(The) Musketeer (gotta be dual blades with the rapier)
Amendment II
Magilla Guerrilla
Magic Hate Ball
Shiny Happy Person
H8-Bit (get that binary aura goin) I took it and used pixels instead
Toybox
Speed Junkie
Hellbender (a type of salamander, if that does anything for you)
Hidin’ Sikh (if only there were turbans)
Jerk in the Box (I used this on live, actually; stalker)
Waterbaby
Sunscream
Stopwatch (I’d suggest gravity/time controller)
Mama Mia
Electric Fight Orchestra (or Knight)
Dogfight
Inkblot (perfect for your trench coat-wearing, fully masked vigilante!)
Dust Devil (or Dirt Devil, and speaking of...)
Dirtbag
Facetime
Firebrawl
Lobstrosity (I already told someone to make it as a crab spider with big ol robot hands, but idk if they did it)
Uncle Slam (or Uncle drat if you’re evil/it’ll let you)
Mountain Doom (day glo yellow water blast)
iMan (very clean, very minimalist)
Malleus Maleficarum (War Mace and pilgrim hat)
Kid Arachnid (already got a crab, otherwise I’d totally make a Jaime Reyes-style spider)
Debtstroke (my friend has Debtpool, but 50/50 mask)
Meatgrinder (look as gross as possible)
Beefquake
Mudslide
Golemite
Foulmouth
Chucklehead/Knucklehead
Guttersnipe

Free to a good home and if you need a costume, post and I’ll do it ASAP

Edit:

Nowhere Man
Manhunter S. Thompson
Rock Candy
Funky Phantom
Officer Downe
Buffalo Wild Thing
Grim Creeper
B’rer Robot

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 29, 2019

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Man, Beefquake is amazing.

I’ve had a new found appreciation for any name with Beef in it since watching the Tom Segura stand-up: https://youtu.be/QuJdfuiqMEE

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I kinda wanna make a Beast/Nature MM named Poison Oak in a dumb riff on Professor Oak and Poison Ivy...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
H8-Bit is extremely on-brand for me....but at this point I've got so many digital characters that I'm running out of powersets to work with. Also I guess Flame War already covers the same idea.

I was briefly tempted to make The Anarchist's Good Book, but got cold feet, so feel free to go where I shall not.

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DMW45 posted:

I kinda wanna make a Beast/Nature MM named Poison Oak in a dumb riff on Professor Oak and Poison Ivy...

Those plants have been around since before pokemon you know

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

hup posted:

Manhunter S. Thompson

I toyed with the idea of rolling a Corruptor named Bat Country. I was thinking something along the lines of tie dyed swirling /Time paired with a primary that would also provide good psychedelic visuals. I let the idea go because I have two Time characters already.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The mission 'Take Down Hector's Generals' from Mercedes Sheldon is loving purgatory

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
its still kinda crazy that 5 months on, it still only took all of 5 minutes for homecoming to hit its donation target. wouldve expected it to slow down a bit by now

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Game is good

EDIT: Also, check out the wild poo poo that /coxg/ is doing with their server. Level 1 pet access for domis, kheldians don't have to slot the individual attacks of their shapeshifted forms, gave super reflexes a PBAO attack
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/cm0m2k/new_patch_notesmanifest_for_coxg_2aug2019/

Crasical fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 1, 2019

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Crasical posted:

Game is good

EDIT: Also, check out the wild poo poo that /coxg/ is doing with their server. Level 1 pet access for domis, kheldians don't have to slot the individual attacks of their shapeshifted forms, gave super reflexes a PBAO attack
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/cm0m2k/new_patch_notesmanifest_for_coxg_2aug2019/

This is some wild stuff.

quote:

Glinting Eye had its accuracy increased to 3x. Eye lasers should not miss (often).

It sure seems like a lot of effort is going into making the powersets distinct from one another, and that's radical.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

"Quickness changed to a PBAoE attack, roughly the strength of Super Strength's stomp."

loving lmao

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Those super reflexes changes are questionable.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I mean the whole set of patchnotes is very 'lol what is balance' but there's certainly some space for the interpretation of 'the game is already very broken, why not break it more'.

I'm unlikely to get dislodged from Everlasting but it's neat seeing someone do broad, sweeping changes to the game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've spent time playing on RO servers, and this is coming across as a High Rate server.

I see it as something to do for fun, but for playing on a regular basis.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually really like reading the patch notes from different servers. The divergent evolution of this game is fascinating. I think the Reddit server just added a new AT that's got Dominator Secondaries as Primaries and their Secondaries are a mishmash of Armor sets and the buffs/debuffs from Blaster secondaries with a sprinkling of Defender primary powers in there.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah I enjoy seeing what everybody's doing, but I can't say I'm 100% on board with any particular approach. I'd rather feel more like a super hero than, say, losing a ton of defense whenever rage crashes, though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Starting an Arachnos Soldier and taking pummel as your first primary power is also pretty amusing. "Here's your gun, soldier. You don't get bullets yet, though, not until you hit Threat Level 2!"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Admittedly, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing the Arachnos bureaucracy would do.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

One Spider gets a clip! One Spider gets a rifle! One Spider gets a clip! One Spider gets a rifle!

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I've slowed down on playing a little, which means sometimes I don't play the game for a day (or two if I'm busy.)

Made a few new characters in the last couple of weeks, my favorite of which is a dark/katana tanker in the Lowlander costume, called No True Scotsman.

Illegal Operation
Jul 23, 2005
Error

DoctorDelaware posted:

I've slowed down on playing a little, which means sometimes I don't play the game for a day (or two if I'm busy.)

Made a few new characters in the last couple of weeks, my favorite of which is a dark/katana tanker in the Lowlander costume, called No True Scotsman.

I have The Real McCoy reserved on my server but can't figure out what to make it yet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Funny, I have a scottish themed tank as well. Highlander Guardian, staff/inv, somewhat based on my dark age of camelot character.

Oh and also Roddy MacStew, but that's just an alternate costume for Freak A. Zoid.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crasical posted:

The mission 'Take Down Hector's Generals' from Mercedes Sheldon is loving purgatory

loving SIGNED. Spent five minutes just wall-following when I was on 4/5 and had missed one dude standing in a corner NEAR THE loving ENTRANCE. :argh:

Also, regarding the normal military discussion, I would have said Mercs MMs are fairly close. I know I went that way when building The Legendary Vic Goss (I didn't even try and see if Big Boss or any of the Snakes were available). Interestingly, being fairly slavish in regards to abilities has made a decent fighter, the Fighting pool is drat good, and Stealth is kind of fun on the right missions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Illegal Operation posted:

I have The Real McCoy reserved on my server but can't figure out what to make it yet.

As long as he at least has a Starfleet Chief Medical Officer alt costume.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dareon posted:

loving SIGNED. Spent five minutes just wall-following when I was on 4/5 and had missed one dude standing in a corner NEAR THE loving ENTRANCE. :argh:

Bind a key (I use R because of Escape Velocity) to "target_enemy_near".

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FFT posted:

Bind a key (I use R because of Escape Velocity) to "target_enemy_near".

I use ` (tilde but no shift) and it's really handy when your target gets knocked out of range

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

@everyone Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

Keeping it free, with no p2w poo poo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

site posted:

:same:

Also more costume pieces, a graphics pass on all old costume pieces, and a balance pass on all pool powers so that most of them don't suck.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I want hats as an option for non-standard heads. Let me put a baseball cap on my brain-in-a-jar. Let me put a top hat and monocle on the fish man.

Let me use the Spectrum skin with all clothing options! It really bothers me that I cannot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly I have trouble coming up with anything that hinges on the server being legitimate vs. what we've already got.

I guess maybe there's a legal thing there w/r/t being able to officially expand on canon rather than just tack on stuff like the Market Crash trial? Beyond that More Stuff is good, but we've already been getting More Stuff.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 7, 2019

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
i would like my character to have a big big pregnant tummy and for other characters to be able to get into the tummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

site posted:

Honestly an actual authentic licensed server I'm fine with being paid for but with expansions and stuff not not pay to win microtransactions. A server with a budget for making new content in accordance to the coh lore bible and all that would be loving amazing but I wouldn't want it at the expense of lootboxes or anything.