Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh that sounds neat! Googling the co-op mode now, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're using Trails FC's length as a benchmark for SC's length, you might want to consider that SC came on two UMD's for its original PSP version...

Samuringa posted:

oh gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

please take a screenshot

I did, Ill see about getting it off the switch tomorrow

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, they're not alone there.

So... did they still have the original background here and Cid was baked into them or what? I fail to understand how this happened.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

So... did they still have the original background here and Cid was baked into them or what? I fail to understand how this happened.

Yep. They did that a bunch. I'm guessing to save on resources.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HGH posted:

pretty much. ff8 was firmly in the era of CRTs where baking something into the background in a PS1 game would look pretty seamless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Yep. They did that a bunch. I'm guessing to save on resources.

Quite probably. At 240p on a CRT nobody was going to notice when the polygon models are just as blurry and low-rez.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks for the explanation. I was confused since I figured that would have been part of the data and assets they had apparently lost.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused since I figured that would have been part of the data and assets they had apparently lost.

They sort of did as I understand it?

The backgrounds of 7-9 were mostly hand drawn and then scanned from my understanding. It's the original drawings and high quality scans they've lost so they've had to use the assets pulled from older versions of the games. If they had those originals, they could've done the backgrounds in much higher resolution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that the first four chapters of okage are goofy but relatively straightforward adventure stuff and then chapter 5 is all about people having weird surreal existential dread and questioning individuality and free will and their ability to break free of the constraints of a system through their bonds with each other

try as the game might, it cannot stop me from playing through it and praising its writing for being pretty alright sometimes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 7, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the iOS and Switch versions of TWEWY have better graphical and music quality, but with the control comprises and the unfulfilled or bad extra content, I'm fine just sticking with the DS game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've been binging 90s anime lately because honestly I have little better to do with my time between chores and job applications, and this isn't a knock on the game, but man...Xenogears wanted to be Evangelion so bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears apes aesthetics from evangelion but tbf like 90% of stuff ever does and it has its own weird tangents and themes it explores so i don't really mind

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xenogears references/lifts from pretty much every popular mecha property made up to the point of its production.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Including running out of budget

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Including running out of budget

It clicked for me with Evangelion's "We ran over budget" ending having people....sitting on chairs in the dark voicing their inner turmoil.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looking to go back to replaying old Gust PS2 games, which of Mana Khemia and Ar Tonelico 1 holds up better these days?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Looking to go back to replaying old Gust PS2 games, which of Mana Khemia and Ar Tonelico 1 holds up better these days?

Probably MK

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you played ar tonelico 2 yet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

have you played ar tonelico 2 yet

yes I replayed that with the retranslation patch a few months back. My previous bout of Gust replays was Atelier Iris 2, Atelier Iris 3, and Ar Tonelico 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play uhhhhhh

this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

play uhhhhhh

this

Phoenix Wright real estate game looking good

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrlP5p9F94

mana khemia has a good battle theme even if all i know about it is "PS2 gust game, set in alchemy hogwarts"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've been binging 90s anime lately because honestly I have little better to do with my time between chores and job applications, and this isn't a knock on the game, but man...Xenogears wanted to be Evangelion so bad.

Go watch RahXephon next. Bring a checklist of Evangelion's characters and elements.

It's a good show, but its influences are as subtle as a brick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xenogears ain't got poo poo on evangelion references compared to astral chain

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could have sworn I bounced off of Mana Khemia real early back in the day but then my PS2 memory card has a save with 35 hours on it in chapter 9. I don't know if that's an endgame save or just most of the way through but my memory was seriously off in either case

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evangelion is genuinely popular in Japan (not in just the "anime fans know about it" way), and basically every element of the show from archetypes to directing techniques ended up being influential in some fashion. Not to say that anyone itt said otherwise, but these sorts of references and influences definitely aren't lost on the domestic audience, and in my experience creators are very forthcoming about it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Keep in mind that Evangelion is still like ~30th most profitable media franchise in the world.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mana Khemia is the best GUST game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Mana Khemia is the best GUST game

It's going to have a hell of an uphill battle to pass Atelier Ayesha but hell I'm excited

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I love how the very first color scheme you can unlock is "literally Eva-01"

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Tae posted:

Just started playing it last night and had to do a double take when the first scene is basically lifted 1:1 from evangelion

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I love how the very first color scheme you can unlock is "literally Eva-01"

Welcome To Neuron

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

if we're talking about anime then if anyone wants a good anime this season granbelm and machikado mazoku/the demon girl next door are cool

I wish the creator of Log Horizon wasn't a tax evading idiot because then we might get a season 3. :(

At least I assume him going to jail is why season 3 hasn't happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Welcome To Neuron

How the gently caress did I miss that one? :cripes:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oOnmiG6bxYk

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I dunno if you guys know this, but FF8 owns. Just escaped the prison on disc 2. Going for a low level run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Grandia your optional dungeon is the hottest of garbage* and you royally messed up sprites but, but, but you did fix(?) the bug where you had to grind water and wind magic to level 99 to unlock a spell thats supposed to require spell levels in the low 20s.

*already complained but its even worse

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I dunno if you guys know this, but FF8 owns. Just escaped the prison on disc 2. Going for a low level run.

I'm playing this for the first time in like 10 years and I'm surprised at how much I still like it. There are some dumb plot moments and not completely earned character beats but it's still enjoyable on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I assume Mana Khemia came out before Atelier Iris 3 because the combat and UI seem like less-refined versions of that game (but more refined than AI2). I would describe the writing in AI3 as "charming but boring" though so I have no doubt MK can surpass that