Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We slowed my cat down with one of those caltrop shaped massage things which if I wasnt on my phone I'd find a pic of. It was for dry food but it should work equally well for wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Perhaps a feeder like this could help? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011K9929Y/

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Week 2 of the kittens, they have become dangerously mobile, and disarmingly cute

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

goddamnnnnn

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Are cat running wheels worth it for kittens? My guy likes to RUN, but I’m in a condo with no safe place to take him outside.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Andro posted:

Are cat running wheels worth it for kittens? My guy likes to RUN, but I’m in a condo with no safe place to take him outside.

Depends on how big they are. It's great to get them on it early, much easier to train and they're usually still really food-motivated early on, but they might not be heavy enough to move it just yet. Though if that's the case, at least he could get used to it being in the house and get over being potentially scared of the new thing.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Gaj posted:

Week 2 of the kittens, they have become dangerously mobile, and disarmingly cute

Disarmingly cute indeed :3:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

This is Kovu. Yesterday he was put down. He was seventeen years old.

And I am absolutely heartbroken.

He was not like any other cat. He was not aloof or stand-offish or cold; he gave you his unconditional love and affection all the time, constantly nuzzling and nipping. I still remember the time I almost punched him off the bed when he gave my nose a love bite when I was sleeping! He also needed affection in return. When he saw me walk to my room, he would immediately trot after me, trying to get in before I could close the door. He would then sit on my lap, and he loved climbing up to my shoulder to give me little kisses. He never shied away from any contact, and was always ready to be petted.

I have depression, and when I dropped out of high school over ten years ago now I lost contact with all my friends and isolated myself. Many nights I would cry alone in my bed about what had happened to my life and why no one was helping me, and how alone I felt. Around the same time we took another cat in, from a neighbour who didn't care for her. She did not get a long with Kovu, and would often attack him. As we tried to find her a new home, Kovu often stayed in my room with me when he and the other cat were indoors, and I became responsible for feeding and taking care of him. During this time he became really close to me; he slept in my bed with me every night and this is where is affectionate personality really came forward. When I felt sad and alone again I would see Kovu lying next to me in my bed (literally next to me, he wanted to be as close to my face as possible), and I would realize that someone loved me with all their heart.

Over the past two years or so his appetite seemed to increase a lot, I started to feed him four or five times a day. But it seemed like no matter how much he ate, he was very slowly losing weight and getting weaker. My mom kept saying that he was just old and that it was time for him to be put down, but I resisted, and said that I would not allow him to be put down until we at least went to the vet to see what was wrong with him. But my mom insisted that nothing was 'wrong' with him: he was just too old.

Finally my mom had made an appointment to have him be put down (yesterday) and that she was going to take him in, despite my protests that he likely had hypothyroidism and that it was very treatable. I made sure to go in with him and to be there right up to the very end, holding him and petting him and telling him how sorry I was that I couldn't get him the proper help he needed.

I am a mess right now. I've lost my appetite and I can't stop myself from sobbing. Sometimes at the edge of my hearing I think I hear him meow that way he would when he would wake up from sleeping. I don't think I've ever felt lonelier.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm so sorry. He sounds like a wonderful cat, and I hope you can cherish the good memories of him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

explosivo posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a slow feeding bowl for wet food? Both of my cats have issues around feeding time, Leela scarfs her food down to go see what Finn's eating, and Finn sometimes pukes because he eats so fast. I looked through amazon and saw a couple but wasn't sure how many of those were specifically for wet food.

Edit: I'm surprised to see this silicone mat is the best seller for slow feeders, the thing looks like it would be a bitch to clean up.

Try putting the food in a coffee cup tipped over on its side. The cat has to reach in and pull the food out to eat it, a bit at a time.

Andro posted:

Get/build the tallest cat tree you can, they'll incorporate the climb as part of their run.

He looked like a beautiful, sweet cat. I'm sorry.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 8, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
So very sorry for your loss - he was a beautiful cat. It's no comfort right now, I'm sure, but when you are able, do remember that for all of the years when he gave you affection, you gave it right back - and that, and your care and nearness, enriched his life immeasurably.

He needed someone to love, and that was you; and he needed someone who loved him, and that was also you.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
So we have two cats who have never shown much hostility to each other and are pretty close. Tuesday the cat had to go to the vet due to blocked bladder and had to stay overnight. When we brought him back elder cat was not happy at all. Lots of growling and hissing from the elder cat, no attacks, but very vocal. No aggression whatsoever from the younger one. After some research on the internet we’ve been keeping them separate in opposite sides of the apartment, separate food, litter, etc. we’ve tried towel swaps to get the scent but still not working. Little one has been on meds the whole time and his last day is tomorrow. Little one basically misses his brother and really wants to get together but his brother is being a grumpy rear end in a top hat about it- still no attacking, but low growling and hissing still occurs when the younger approaches him to sniff. Is this something that just needs longer time to settle out? Is there a trick we aren’t missing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

So we have two cats who have never shown much hostility to each other and are pretty close. Tuesday the cat had to go to the vet due to blocked bladder and had to stay overnight. When we brought him back elder cat was not happy at all. Lots of growling and hissing from the elder cat, no attacks, but very vocal. No aggression whatsoever from the younger one. After some research on the internet we’ve been keeping them separate in opposite sides of the apartment, separate food, litter, etc. we’ve tried towel swaps to get the scent but still not working. Little one has been on meds the whole time and his last day is tomorrow. Little one basically misses his brother and really wants to get together but his brother is being a grumpy rear end in a top hat about it- still no attacking, but low growling and hissing still occurs when the younger approaches him to sniff. Is this something that just needs longer time to settle out? Is there a trick we aren’t missing?

He probably picked up some odd scents at the vet that are triggering the older one. Give it a couple days, they'll be fine.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

So we have two cats who have never shown much hostility to each other and are pretty close. Tuesday the cat had to go to the vet due to blocked bladder and had to stay overnight.

I took my cat to the vet for about an hour and when I got home the other cat was having none of it. Same deal, hissing and growling. I didn't separate them though and it took about a day and half and things were back to normal where the one who went to the vet did all the hissing and growling as is normal around here and the younger cat went back to being an rear end in a top hat but not aggressive about it.

I'm sure my methodology is wrong, but with introducing cats and this vet visit stuff I just mash them together and say 'this is your new reality, deal with it'. The only time they really feud is over me or my attention but I've walked in on them unexpectedly sometimes and when I'm not around they buddy-up.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terry spent the day at the vet, where they did some bloodwork and a pancreatitis test and gave him subcutaneous fluids because he was a little dehydrated. They gave me a topical appetite stimulant (actually an antidepressant!) and some pain pills. Terry really really does not want to swallow the pills -- I can with great effort get a pill in his mouth but failed to get him to swallow one. Fortunately I can open the capsules and dump the medication into his wet food, which he's still going for somewhat.

Really hoping the meds do their thing and he feels better! Cat tax follows.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terry seems to be enthusiastically eating again! Maybe the pain pills and appetite stimulant did it but either way I'm quite happy about it.

So he's been eating less and less and now he's down to about half the food he usually eats. This includes most of a can of wet food and like 1/4 cup of dry food. I'm worried there's something wrong and I should take him in to the vet again. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

My cat has spent a big chunk of the last 24 hours laying on the bathmat in our hall bathroom, which is kind of a secluded place for a cat to be laying. He’s still eating and drinking, and as far as we know he’s still peeing and pooping like normal, and my dad told me he sat in his lap this morning... but it’s a bit unusual for him to spend so much time back there. He does like to lay on that mat from time to time, but not normally this much.

Again, he’s only been acting like this for about a day, but should I be worried? Do cats sometimes just do this for no real reason, or is it always a sign of vet-worthy distress?

From months ago, but an update to this.

The cat turned out to have some serious heart and lung issues, some of which were caused by a virus of some sort he had likely had for years, possibly since kittenhood. We took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago and started him on some treatment, including draining a bunch of fluid from his lungs and giving him some medicine twice a day, which worked really well and caused him to perk up pretty much back to his usual old self, but wasn’t a permanent fix since what he had wasn’t curable.

We figured he still had a lot of life left in him, but then sometime this morning he got a blood clot in his back leg. He had a lot of trouble walking and was meowing in pain, but otherwise seemed like he was okay. We thought he had just injured his leg or his foot from jumping off something and landing on it wrong. We took him to the emergency vet and that’s where we got the whole story: it was a blood clot, likely brought on by his heart problems, he was in a lot of pain, there was nothing they could do for him, and if we left it alone it would eventually kill his leg and cause a slow and even more painful death. Had he been younger and in better health, it might’ve been fixable, but not now.

We had no choice but to put him down. Both me and my dad were there with him, petting him and scratching him and telling him we loved him and generally just making him as comfortable as possible. I was holding him in my arms when they gave him the juice, petting and scratching him and kissing his head the whole time, telling him goodbye, we love you, we’ll miss you, we wish we could do more for you.

R.I.P. Leo
2009 – 2019

:smith:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2019

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I have 3 cats and they have all gotten a case of feline acne under their chins. I've been wiping them down with chlorhexidine wipes, which has resolved one cat, who had the least severe outbreak. We have switched from plastic bowls to a ceramic bowl and metal bowls. I could go to the vet to get a biopsy and anti biotics but the infections are not too too bad, they just won't clear up.

Has anyone tried using Listerine?
Should we be cleaning all the bowls every day?
any other thoughts?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Clean the bowls every day, wash the cats faces after each meal. Ideally, clean the bowls after each meal, but I know that's not always feasible. I do a wipe down for breakfast with a pet safe wipe, and then a thorough wash before the wet food at night.

Make sure the type of bowl doesn't encourage sticking chin in the food; one on stands tend to help a bit more from what I've heard.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I get to spend all night at work worried about one of my cats, Gonzo. We live in a sleepy little rural subdivision, so our cats have always been in and out of the house. Today, my sister was distracted coming home by being on the phone with her ex-husband and didn't realize Gonzo hadn't gotten out of her way in the driveway quite fast enough until after she'd already hit him and broke his leg. We've got him inside back in the laundry room, where he's curled up in his cat bed, and my sister said he perked up when she went in there to give him dinner, though he didn't get up (don't blame him with his leg like that), but we can't get him to the vet until the morning. He's like 18 years old and FIV+ and my sister is at least a little concerned that they're going to say he's a lost cause, especially if it's my youngest sister (who is even more emotionally fragile than either of us two older sisters) who ends up getting him to the vet and having to make that decision. I mean, I don't look forward to potentially having to make that decision either, but I'm also less likely to go into a major depressive spiral and make myself sick over it.

Edit: I mentioned the situation at work and all my co-workers and my team lead were all "what the gently caress, why are you even here tonight? Go home and take care of your kitty." So now I'm waiting on the goddamn train so I can go home and do just that. Once I'm home, it's like 30-45 minutes to the nearest emergency vet.

Son of Edit: I got home, my sister was up because the AC is out in the house and she was too hot to sleep. She said that he'd gotten up earlier to eat his dinner, drink, and use the litterbox, and when I went in to check on him he didn't hiss or growl at me when I touched his legs (because I wasn't sure which one she thought was hurt), so he seems to be doing well enough to wait until morning when his regular vet opens rather than the long trip plus definitely-more-expensive emergency vet.

Our other cat, Little Miss, is taking the lack of AC with less stride, as she doesn't like all the fans we have set up to try to make the house tolerable until we can get someone out to look at that. And I think she is confused by window screens because she is in my window meowing. I think she is like "I can hear and smell the outside but I can't get to it? :confused:"

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 9, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jackie is like, probably happier than she's ever been right now. We're living in a nice apartment with several other people, and Jackie's like the queen of the household and the most beloved figure around. She still spends most of her time with me, but she also makes the rounds several times a day to get attention from my roommates, plus some of our neighbors outside whom Jackie has endeared herself to. It's been a while since she had quite so much energy, or seemed so happy and engaged with the world :)

It just makes me feel super-happy, because everyone who meets her comments on just how calm and relaxed and unusually friendly she is - she *loves* being held and cradled like a baby, even by strangers. And she still has the softest fur I've ever felt on a cat. I don't think I'll ever know what it is or why, but since she's a kitten she has just had like... fur with a degree of softness unrivaled by any living creature I've ever encountered, I mean, all cats have nice, lovely soft fur. But ack has this... special quality where it's so soft it almost preternatural.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Can anybody that speaks cat language translate this? Headphones will probably be easiest.

https://youtu.be/jKJLowFLBgM

2 year old female cat getting her first glimpse at our new 4 mo old boy kitten. Kitten on the other side of baby gates in bathroom where he has been for a few days. She has known he was there with the occasional hiss at the door. We know/knew she wouldn't easily take a new friend on. Just keeping our fingers crossed. I'm guessing this is just a high stress noise? She is constantly pacing around making this noise while hissing at the gate.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Those rumbles generally mean something along the lines of 'Who the gently caress are you and what the gently caress are you doing in my territory'. I used to live on a street where quite a few neighbours had outdoor cats(mine are strictly indoors, don't worry) and I would often see two cats sitting on opposite walls of my garden making this noise and glaring at each other. I never saw it turn into violence though; after a lot of grumbling eventually one would back down and leave. She's not happy about the kitten, but give her time and she'll probably come around.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah one of my cats made that noise for a bit when being introduced to a new kitten, but is totally fine with him now. Just give it time, unless they're exceptionally territorial most cats have a hard time really seeing a kitten as a threat.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks. Got the 2 year old in January and she is both GF and I's first cat (both grew up with dogs). Understanding cat behavior has been a lot more difficult then we anticipated haha.

Good to know that my cat still has hope to not be a loner cat for the rest of her life. Fingers crossed.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That is a pro as heck tortie :kimchi:

If she's not crossing the room to outright attack other cat I think y'all will do ok.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, just make sure to temper your expectations. Some cats just don't get along with other cats unless they literally grew up with them. But it's always easier to introduce a kitten to a grown cat than two grown cats, so you're doing the right thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That and be aware that there is inevitably going to be some tussling and growling. That's how cats do, and with one being a kitten there will undoubtedly be some "cut it out you little jerk" response from your older cat. That's perfectly normal, kittens mainly do learn what is and is not acceptable by the other cats (or people) whacking them and letting them know it's not okay.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Boogalo posted:

That is a pro as heck tortie :kimchi:

She is a beaut. Here is two more pictures of her majesty and two of the new kitty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYYnYoRtjpAoHbXv9

Thanks again for the advice, folks.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CancerStick posted:

She is a beaut. Here is two more pictures of her majesty and two of the new kitty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MYYnYoRtjpAoHbXv9

Thanks again for the advice, folks.

THE BABIES. AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! :kimchi:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
My 10-month old cat got spayed last week, she's been really lethargic and subdued since. Normally she plays an hour or two morning and evening. It's been five days since the surgery and all she wants to do is nap, usually curled up in my lap. If I set her down next to toys she might play for a few minutes but quickly loses interest. In general she just seems much less active.

She's eating, drinking, and pooping just fine. Is this normal for surgery and she's still recovering?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

My 10-month old cat got spayed last week, she's been really lethargic and subdued since. Normally she plays an hour or two morning and evening. It's been five days since the surgery and all she wants to do is nap, usually curled up in my lap. If I set her down next to toys she might play for a few minutes but quickly loses interest. In general she just seems much less active.

She's eating, drinking, and pooping just fine. Is this normal for surgery and she's still recovering?

It can take a couple weeks for the incision of a spay to heal. She had major organs removed. Its perfectly normal to be resting right now.

If it persists you can call the vet to check in with them, though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's probably fine. Female cats take longer to recover from that than male cats, since it's such an invasive surgery. Give it a few more days and if she doesn't seem to be getting any better, then a vet visit is probably a good idea. If she seems to be getting worse call the vet right away, though.

That said if you're really worried, it's not going to hurt to get her in for a check up.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Gonzo had major fractures in his pelvis, and between the type of fractures and his age affecting his recovery time, I made the choice to have him put to sleep. It hurts even when you know it's the right thing.

Rest in peace, my mighty hunter.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

taiyoko posted:

Gonzo had major fractures in his pelvis, and between the type of fractures and his age affecting his recovery time, I made the choice to have him put to sleep. It hurts even when you know it's the right thing.

Rest in peace, my mighty hunter.

All my sympathies. If it's any comfort, it sounds like he had an amazing run, especially for an FIV+ cat -- 18 is a great long life.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I. M. Gei posted:

R.I.P. Leo
2009 – 2019

:smith:

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard as hell to lose a cat when it feels like it was well before their time.

My wife and I adopted a 7-year old cat from a foster about 7 years ago now. We decided on her because we knew older cats with fosters had a much harder time getting adopted out, even if they were exceptionally good cats. This was indeed the case with Cocoa - it turned out that she had been fostered for at least two years after having been surrendered by her previous owner (I can't remember the circumstances - it might have been old age?).

It was our lucky break: Cocoa was an amazing cat, through and through. She loved belly rubs, laps, and being the littlest spoon at naptime/bedtime. She was very particular about her food - if we gave her wet food, it needed to be pate, and if we gave her dry food, it needed to be easy to swallow. This is because she came to the foster with bad teeth, and the foster was not going to shell out the $800-$1,000 needed to remove the bad teeth (and if the local Humane Society covered the cost, then I guess she was unwilling to finagle with their repayment system). Because it probably hurt to chew with bad teeth, Cocoa would only eat pate (so she didn't need to chew) and swallowed kibble whole. After two years, it probably became ingrained behavior to the point where it was unbreakable.

Regardless, she loved having us around - we always felt guilty leaving her to go on trips because she would clearly get separation anxiety (runny poops), so we tried to contrive of as many ways as possible to bring her with us (we even took her to my mom's house for our wedding - we were spending a week in preparing for it, so it was a good option for keeping her near us) or have friends check on her every day. She was also a chatty kitty and always talked back to us and came running when we called her name.

Sadly, we lost her two years ago at the age of 12 to pancreatitis. It was the worst case our vet had seen in a long time. We only got to appreciate her for less than half of her life, but looking back we know that we had 5 very special years with Cocoa, and we'll never forget them.

I can only imagine that to lose a cat who's only 10 - it feels like you got cheated out of half of their life, I'm sure - is devastating. Nevertheless, about a month later we marched on down to the shelter again to adopt another middle-aged foster cat. We know that we'll always have a spot in our house for such kitties, and instead of comparing them to Cocoa, we take special efforts to make sure we appreciate each cat for who they are.

I guess what I'm saying is - hang in there and look back on the good times fondly. Don't let them stop you from having more good times with another cat in the future, though.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I've got a 9 year old cat that has been limping since my wife and I got back from a 10 day camping trip. My wife and I have 3 cats, Deckard, San, and Hoshi. Deckard (male) and San (female) are siblings that my wife got as newborns 9 years ago. Hoshi (male) crawled into the suspension of my car when I was at work as an approx. 6-month-old 2 years ago and we ended up keeping him. They are all inside cats and all get along quite well. They eat and sleep together and we haven't had any real health issues with any of them. We recently went on a 10 day camping trip and had our neighbor, also a cat owner was able to come over twice a day to feed them and clean their boxes. A few days in she noticed that San was limping a little bit. When we returned to three cats who were very happy to see us, we did notice that San has been favoring her rear left leg. She can't jump up onto things she normally would jump to as easily as before, and isn't moving quite as fast as she usually does when we play. She has been eating and using the litterbox normally, and is letting us pet her normally. She'll let me touch anywhere along either leg, and I've felt all the joints in both her rear legs and hips without her showing any pain or discomfort. When she sits, you can tell she has that leg positioned away from her body in a way she normally doesn't. Any ideas what I should look into to diagnose what could be wrong with her?

Summary: 9 year old female cat developed limp in left rear leg while my wife and I were out of town. She is otherwise acting totally normally (eating, using litterbox, socializing).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It may be crunch time for Buffy today. Her mouth is too sort for her to eat properly now so she's going back to the vet. There are a few catches though: she's 20, she has CKD, hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure. I don't want to just give up and put her to sleep but fixing the teeth is going to mean a dental. The vet didn't want to do that a couple of months back and wants to even less now her kidneys are worse. But we either risk fixing her teeth so she can eat or euthanasia - I can't just watch her slowly starve.
So long as there's a chance the dental will give her some more time it's worth doing. The worst case is no worse than any of the other choices.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

tylertfb posted:

Summary: 9 year old female cat developed limp in left rear leg while my wife and I were out of town. She is otherwise acting totally normally (eating, using litterbox, socializing)

ET had something similar a few months ago. When we took him top the vet she determined it was a soft tissue injury in his hip area.
It would make him growl a bit when pressing on the inside of his thigh where it meets his belly area.
She prescribed gabapentin and isolating him so he could just rest. It took about a week and he was back to normal.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

tylertfb posted:

Summary: 9 year old female cat developed limp in left rear leg while my wife and I were out of town. She is otherwise acting totally normally (eating, using litterbox, socializing).
Another thing to check (if you haven't already) is to look for a claw on that leg that somehow didn't get clipped with the rest and is digging in when she walks, or one that got caught on something and got torn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Ratzap posted:

It may be crunch time for Buffy today. Her mouth is too sort for her to eat properly now so she's going back to the vet. There are a few catches though: she's 20, she has CKD, hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure. I don't want to just give up and put her to sleep but fixing the teeth is going to mean a dental. The vet didn't want to do that a couple of months back and wants to even less now her kidneys are worse. But we either risk fixing her teeth so she can eat or euthanasia - I can't just watch her slowly starve.
So long as there's a chance the dental will give her some more time it's worth doing. The worst case is no worse than any of the other choices.
Good luck at the vet!