Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jay Rust posted:

Are there any games that demonstrate the absence of sound in Outer space?

Besides the aforementioned Dead Space and Prey, there's that FPS that's in development about Astronauts shooting each other that follows that concept, Boundary is the name I believe, I'll go dig up the footage that exists for it, looks like it should be pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HOLY gently caress

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Besides the aforementioned Dead Space and Prey, there's that FPS that's in development about Astronauts shooting each other that follows that concept, Boundary is the name I believe, I'll go dig up the footage that exists for it, looks like it should be pretty neat

found it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qMsE8ZaQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBlSpRpkkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ERvMM_VyCs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh good, i've been waiting years for someone to rip off shattered horizon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

homeless snail posted:

oh good, i've been waiting years for someone to rip off shattered horizon

I believe the developers have been open about being influenced by Shattered Horizon, not to mention that game has been dead for years and unavailable legally too

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1170263509990379520?s=21

I feel u, Kojima-san

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I loving loved Shattered Horizen so much that I bought it immediately to play on a friends much better computer. By the time I got one capable of running it server population was basically nothing. Strangely, a few weeks after I was able to run it they did the overhaul that added the class system (I didn't like it!). That brought things back to life a little, but never the level it was when I first played.

Is there any way to play it still if you own it? It was never popular to begin with, can't really imagine a fan server tbh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A GIANT ENEMY CRAB

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Crab battle!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played so many friggin' games this year that I could probably just fill out the rest of 2019 replaying the stuff I liked the most. I'll probably just buy more poo poo though!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The second you stop buying video games is the second you lose

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wake the gently caress up samurai, we got a funky fetus to deliver.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I don't remember who recommended it, but I'm grateful someone told me to play the crystal tower raids in FFXIV before moving on. That poo poo was way better storytelling than anything else I've seen in the MSQ thus far.

congratulations on finishing the Best Catboy raid

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Next project?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am knee deep into Astral Era questlines and apparently missed all of this, I guess I should check it out

I just found out doing it changes a Shadowbringer cutscene later. Now I’m sweating what other side content I should be prioritizing when I really just want to advance the MSQ.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Keanu's second act is so much better than his first now that he's completely embraced "being Keanu Reeves"

e: Also those are 55 and 56 year-old men respectively
Time is a lie

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My mate and I played through to the second boss of River City Girls today. Game's rad, and the combat really starts to click when you get a couple more hits in your quick combo, and the Dab/Haymaker.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna play it but it's too expensive so I bought Final Fantasy VIII instead

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The 7th Guest posted:

my next destination in Triptember is japan, specifically the business center of tokyo where a bunch of strange events are about to happen...

split across five protagonists, 428's gameplay is similar to that of the visual novel segments of Virtue's Last Reward. There are a lot of bad endings in the game, most of them silly, that can be averted by hopping to another protagonist somewhere in the timeline and changing their decision. I mentioned time travel before, i guess it's not 100% time travel, but at the same time it sort of is? you're going back in time and changing decisions to alter the future. the butterfly effect is directly referenced in the game. so shut up, nerds who said it didn't count.

the presentation is a combination of photographs and full-motion video. this means that compared to the average visual/sound novel, the range of character acting and expressions is unique and dynamic for every shot rather than recycled. characters, even in photograph form, will animate, sometimes in silly stop-motion ways that are reminiscent of Ace Attorney investigation segments. being a VN, the gameplay here is reading and making choices, although sometimes there will be additional highlighted flavor text that gives you more detail on certain unnamed characters, story beats, procedural policies, or other lore. the tone of this flavor text can range from encyclopedic, to sarcastic, to directly addressing the reader

each protagonist has their own story that interweaves with the other protagonists' stories in innocuous or sometimes very direct ways. characters might cross paths.. OR, they might run into side characters, which prevents other meetings from taking place. another mechanic is the "JUMP" feature.. at certain points in the story, you will be locked out of a character's playthrough, until you can find a JUMP point in someone else's path to hop over and break through the barrier. sometimes the jump is right in the main text, and sometimes the jump is hidden behind the flavor text. this, combined with the multitude of bad endings, means you are never reading any one character's story for very long. you are constantly hopping around and watching the events of the current hour unfold in different parts of Shibuya.

it would be bad to spoil things too much, so i'll just talk about general story. there was some type of terrorist attack that happened prior to the start of the story, and the story itself starts with a kidnapping. one character is a reporter, one character is working in a mascot costume for an extremely eccentric idiot boss, another character is a detective, while another is a trash-collecting punk ex-gang member. at the beginning, none of these characters seem to have any common thread between them, but little by little, the story slowly entangles them all. even tiny choices can lead to disastrous outcomes. bumping into a kid selling poems on the street, vs lifting them out of the way, can lead to someone getting killed in an explosion 15 minutes later. you don't necessarily know WHY your character meets a certain fate until you start exploring the choices you've made and deducing how people's routines and routes get diverted or interrupted as a result. Hints are available, but they tend to be too on-the-nose and feel more like walkthrough solutions, so I'd advise you not to use them unless you're completely stuck.

each chapter of the game is confined to the current hour of the story, and an in-game hour can take several hours to get every character to the end alive and still involved (there are some bad endings that are actually pretty happy endings for the characters, but they're bad because they're not canonical and take them out of the storyline when they are still needed to assist the events that unravel later on). the music is solid, some of it typical VN fare, some of it orchestrated with big brass.

428 is like playing an interactive season of a prestige thriller series (or like 24 without the racism and the pro-torture politics!!). it is extremely engrossing, it's an adult-led cast, and the humor is just the right amount of quirky and offbeat, rather than obnoxious. highly recommended
I enjoyed the hell out of 428. Just a hell of a fun romp that is obviously silly most of the time but takes itself seriously just enough/little enough that the arcs and big character moments do land. It's very earnest. Also as someone who watched the "sequel" anime Canaan years ago a good chunk of this game was a bit of a mindfuck for an obvious reason that I wouldn't want to allude to for spoiler reasons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

The second you stop buying video games is the second you lose

CONSUME

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I bought a copy of that PS2 Shinobi game. Never got a chance to play it back in the day, but it's alright. Camera work is a bit rough but the music is great. Surprised there isn't a remaster or re-release on PC or whatever. I should look for its sequel.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The only good thing about the PS2 Shinobi was the scarf physics imo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inject the video games directly into my eyes, Kojima!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crosspostin'

Click if you want to have a good laugh

Infinitum posted:

I knew I was interested in Heave-Ho, but this entire sequence just tipped the scales :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItnJ1PaoReQ&t=94s

Just wait until they get the clear :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I just started playing Control. And going going through the hallways, meeting the janitor, then coming back out into the lobby from a different hallway then when I entered and being like "wait..." and going back around and having the layout be different with a wall stopping you from going back that way I was was hell yeah that's the good poo poo right there. I like the tone/setting of the game already

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Inject the video games directly into my eyes, Kojima!!!

DeadSpace2.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I bought a copy of that PS2 Shinobi game. Never got a chance to play it back in the day, but it's alright. Camera work is a bit rough but the music is great. Surprised there isn't a remaster or re-release on PC or whatever. I should look for its sequel.

How far have you gotten because the difficulty in the game ramps up pretty gosh darn severely around stage 3 and by the end basically expects you to have fully mastered its kind of janky sword power up system and platforming.

Scarf is real nice looking

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1169817722101760003?s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

swaggage

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
chilic

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Morning yall went with my dad today to get some stuff on per a neighbors request and its right next to my old house that I haven’t seen in five years... Its a bittersweet nostalgic feeling...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shattered Horizon 2?

E: gently caress super beaten

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I just found out doing it changes a Shadowbringer cutscene later. Now I’m sweating what other side content I should be prioritizing when I really just want to advance the MSQ.

Not a lot of the other side content has a tremendous downstream impact, generally it's just a different dialogue line or two reflecting your experiences.

In general you don't need to worry about doing all of the side dungeons, but doing each expansion's 8 man raid series, 24 man raid series and the set of optional primals / trials is well worth doing.

Outside of the 8 man raid for ARR (Binding Coil of Bahamut) you can just unlock them and queue for the next instance while you work on other things, roulettes will funnel folks into them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ironically, the worst parts of the Mad Max game are anything that involve cars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone's like "shooting astronauts would be cool" probably slept on Infinite Warfare

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone's like "shooting astronauts would be cool" probably slept on Infinite Warfare

You're surprised people ignore COD? :v:

Did Infinite Warfare actually give you 6DOF outside of spaceship battles?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There was some zero g stuff occasionally but I think it was horizon locked? I don't remember

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a cool spectacle which is all a CoD really needs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zaphod42 posted:

You're surprised people ignore COD? :v:

Did Infinite Warfare actually give you 6DOF outside of spaceship battles?

There were spacewalking missions yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n96FnLPGww&t=101s

homeless snail posted:

There was some zero g stuff occasionally but I think it was horizon locked? I don't remember

Edit: Yeah I suppose you can't roll or pitch, it is a COD game after all. I guess i should look at some Shattered Horizon combat to see if that adds cool stuff (for the risk that it would probably make me nauseous)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS