Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean, I'd stab him too with all his dumb helmet bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's missing the preview text but it's referencing the video clips of GOT actors doing the table reads and being visibly upset lmfao

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Kind of.

The biggest driver of negative word of mouth for a movie turns out to be audience expectations: audiences are generally much kinder to a bad version of a movie they expected to see than a movie of whatever quality that ends up being a different movie than they were expecting. That's why Hereditary got a D+ Cinemascore, even though the rotten tomatoes score and box office ended up decent: the trailer sold a traditional horror movie, but audiences got... whatever the gently caress Hereditary was. So the biggest goal of a trailer these days isn't to get audiences to want to see a movie, it's to get audiences in tune with the wavelength of the movie, or at least what the advertising executives think the wavelength of the movie is.

So you won't get a movie trailer that gives away everything for a Nolan movie because Nolan's name, visual style, and the puzzle-like elements of his film-making constitute a brand to themselves; as soon as audiences see pieces of them, they're in tune with the Nolan wave-length. He's the most consistent money-making filmmaker in Hollywood, at this point. On the other hand, you have Hobbs and Shaw, which has a trailer that gives away literally every part of the movie, because it has something to prove to the audience: that it is in the same wavelength as the previous Fast and Furious movies.

It's why the Thor Ragnarok trailer gave so much more away than, say, the Infinity War trailer: it had to sell audiences on a new wave-length for the Thor franchise.

Really interesting. Is that based on your marketing knowledge, or just conjecture? Marketing decision making loving fascinates me. As an aside - Hobbs and Shaw looks loving dumb as gently caress, and also for the first time, I sort of feel I could enjoy watching a FnF movie. I mean it's just beyond goofy as gently caress and might at well be an anime or something. I _want_ to give these people my money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm not even gonna dignify it with a link but some nerd on twitter emailed HBO to ask how much it would cost to license GOT so he can make his Season 7/8 VERY GOOD REWRITE FANFIC into an animated series and they emailed back and said 2.5 million dollars lol

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not even gonna dignify it with a link but some nerd on twitter emailed HBO to ask how much it would cost to license GOT so he can make his Season 7/8 VERY GOOD REWRITE FANFIC into an animated series and they emailed back and said 2.5 million dollars lol

That's horrifyingly affordable. Rich people spend that kind of money on baseball cards.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I bet we could get that donated in no time. Anime? Check. Game of Thrones? Check. Hire Jordan Preston to write the script? Check. We could get this whole thing done for about $4m. I'll start calling some of the producers I work with, who wants to open the GoFundMe page?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can HBO make that decision. Sub-licensing seems like it would involve GRRM too. but yeah that’s a very tiny amount of money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You guys are right and now I think it's more likely the guy is just lying

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Go directly to Gurm. If he smells more royalty checks and a chance to blow off another deadline you can prob get the rights for the cost of a TGIFridays dinner

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Go directly to Gurm. If he smells more royalty checks and a chance to blow off another deadline you can prob get the rights for the cost of a TGIFridays dinner

A gurm TGIFriday's dinner can easily cost more than a small country's entire defense budget.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Youre right. Better limit him to 3 appetizers

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Solice Kirsk posted:

A gurm TGIFriday's dinner can easily cost more than a small country's entire defense budget.

One without at least 3 shits is considered a dull affair.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You guys are right and now I think it's more likely the guy is just lying

Seinfeld got $100 milllion in 1998 for syndication rights. HBO isnt licensing it fpr any amount of money, they will syndicate it to prime/netflix/dianeyplus for an ungodly amount.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Seinfeld got $100 milllion in 1998 for syndication rights. HBO isnt licensing it fpr any amount of money, they will syndicate it to prime/netflix/dianeyplus for an ungodly amount.

I am not an entertainment/IP lawyer but I'm pretty sure a firm can syndicate a TV show while continuing to use/rent out the relevant IP as it wishes, because those are separate transactions involving separate rights. This isn't about buying the rights to air the Game of Thrones TV show starring Sean Bean, it's about buying the rights to the characters, setting, etc. for use in an another project.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I am not an entertainment/IP lawyer but I'm pretty sure a firm can syndicate a TV show while continuing to use/rent out the relevant IP as it wishes, because those are separate transactions involving separate rights. This isn't about buying the rights to air the Game of Thrones TV show starring Sean Bean, it's about buying the rights to the characters, setting, etc. for use in an another project.

my point is was that why, if this property will be your cash cow for many years to come through syndication, would you want to license its rights to a fanfic, especially for such a ridiculously small amount of money?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just want a cartoon that leans into all of GRRM's loud colours and big numbers and castles made of dragon statuary, instead of covering everyone and half the sets in rags and leather

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mameluke posted:

I just want a cartoon that leans into all of GRRM's loud colours and big numbers and castles made of dragon statuary, instead of covering everyone and half the sets in rags and leather

I want poo poo like this:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like that rhaegar's just like "wait wait wait oh poo poo timeout timeout"

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

I want poo poo like this:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I like that picture except for the small issue of Rhaegar's sword apparently being like six feet long.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probably why he lost
Other than the fact he was a lameass weirdo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kylaer posted:

I like that picture except for the small issue of Rhaegar's sword apparently being like six feet long.

also roberts right leg missing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And Robert wouldn't have his visor up.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I like that rhaegar's just like "wait wait wait oh poo poo timeout timeout"

Every fan art of that particular scene that I've seen seems to nail that atmosphere extremely well. Like the exact moment where Rhaegar realizes "oh poo poo this idiot is about to kill me" and reconsiders all of his life choices in the span of however long it takes for Robert to cave his chest cavity in.

Kylaer posted:

Valyrian steel. Wasn't Ice (and a few other house swords) also like 6 feet long?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Valyrian steel. Wasn't Ice (and a few other house swords) also like 6 feet long?

That is certainly possible but the proportions still look wrong. It's a narrow blade and doesn't look like a greatsword, it just looks like the artist started drawing a blade but forgot to draw a tip on it. It's a minuscule thing to be bothered by but bother me it does. Possibly because I'm a sperg.

On the flip side, I can forgive Robert's visor being open as an example of heroic nudity - it works better for the art to show his face, so the artist does. Same as how ancient Greek artwork showing hoplites going into battle naked was meant as an artistic statement rather than an actual representation that they went out all :flaccid:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Every fan art of that particular scene that I've seen seems to nail that atmosphere extremely well. Like the exact moment where Rhaegar realizes "oh poo poo this idiot is about to kill me" and reconsiders all of his life choices in the span of however long it takes for Robert to cave his chest cavity in.

It's a Quentyn Martell "Oh" moment.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Kylaer posted:

That is certainly possible but the proportions still look wrong. It's a narrow blade and doesn't look like a greatsword, it just looks like the artist started drawing a blade but forgot to draw a tip on it. It's a minuscule thing to be bothered by but bother me it does. Possibly because I'm a sperg.

On the flip side, I can forgive Robert's visor being open as an example of heroic nudity - it works better for the art to show his face, so the artist does. Same as how ancient Greek artwork showing hoplites going into battle naked was meant as an artistic statement rather than an actual representation that they went out all :flaccid:

From what I’ve read fighting with your visor up was pretty common; those things seriously restrict peripheral vision.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
It actually looks like they drew Rhaegar with a spear, for some reason

but maybe they meant it to be a sword, I dunno.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Yeah, this is what it looked like to me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zippy the Bummer posted:

They got confused and thought he was a dragoon

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fun story: the first French translation of GoT, back when it was just another fantasy novel for dorks, was... not good. Inconsistent name translation, baffling word choice, random vulgarism in an attempt to out-edge the grrm.

But my favourite bit was when Viserys or something says "we are the House of the Dragon." As in, obviously, a noble House, a dynasty. Obviously. Well, you guessed it, the bloke translated as demeure du dragon, i.e. a literal physical house. A dwelling. Like Targs have a door in them and furniture and there's a literal dragon going in and kicking back inside them after a hard day's work. Twenty years and I'm still laughing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fun story: the first French translation of GoT, back when it was just another fantasy novel for dorks, was... not good. Inconsistent name translation, baffling word choice, random vulgarism in an attempt to out-edge the grrm.

But my favourite bit was when Viserys or something says "we are the House of the Dragon." As in, obviously, a noble House, a dynasty. Obviously. Well, you guessed it, the bloke translated as demeure du dragon, i.e. a literal physical house. A dwelling. Like Targs have a door in them and furniture and there's a literal dragon going in and kicking back inside them after a hard day's work. Twenty years and I'm still laughing.

Oh thank God, I've been reading it and I've been super confused by all the weird word choices. I thought my french just sucked.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't think Rhaegar had a Valyrian steel sword, Bloodraven took Dark Sister to the wall with him and the Golden Company has Blackfyre

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't think Rhaegar had a Valyrian steel sword, Bloodraven took Dark Sister to the wall with him and the Golden Company has Blackfyre

Obviously he borrowed Ice from Rickon Stark's corpse, which the fanart has appropriately rendered as impractically huge for real battle

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's probably just that it's being held so close to the "camera."

Also, GoT is over. Go back to reading real literature instead.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
loving

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I've never read real literature in my life and I'm not about to start now :colbert:

Of course, I also haven't read anything GRRM-related since Dance came out. I've read and re-read other series since then but no re-reads for GRRM, certainly not.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kylaer posted:

I've never read real literature in my life and I'm not about to start now :colbert:

Of course, I also haven't read anything GRRM-related since Dance came out. I've read and re-read other series since then but no re-reads for GRRM, certainly not.

I reread the Dunk and Egg stuff but have no interest in revisiting the main series.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bobby Digital posted:

I reread the Dunk and Egg stuff but have no interest in revisiting the main series.

Re-read A Clash of Kings, it’a a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ice wasn't carried into battle though right? IIRC it was for ceremonial stuff like executions.