Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Plus there's no real need to disable the DLC even if you don't want the invasion to happen, since you can disable it in the game options when you start a game.

I don't really want to buy the bundle just for Monks and Conclave, unless they're... really really great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Plus there's no real need to disable the DLC even if you don't want the invasion to happen, since you can disable it in the game options when you start a game.

Unless they've changed something with Holy Fury, if it comes to it you can even leave it enabled in the game options. Since then if you decide mid-game that you don't want to face the Aztecs (or didn't realise it was even turned on, like me :v:) you can simply save, quit, then start the game and continue your campaign with the Sunset Invasion DLC disabled. I did that after the first event (the 'rumours from across the sea' typed one) and never had any problems.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can you turn them off like mid invasion and then their AI reverts to some other state.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I started the tutorial with Alfonso VI and my brain is already broken. Any tips for a noob

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I started the tutorial with Alfonso VI and my brain is already broken. Any tips for a noob

Just roll with the punches

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Just roll with the punches

This, basically. It’s kind of hard to get in this mindset because you’re used to always wanting to win in games but CK2 is a game of ups and downs, you can lose tons of land and get forced to swear fealty to someone which seems really bad but you’ll have centuries to scheme your way back on top.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Take the seduction focus and seduce everyone.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Take the seduction focus and seduce everyone.

Then only legitimise the good bastards, if you find yourself in need of an heir/backup heir

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That’s bullshit gamey crap that a noob should ignore.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That’s bullshit gamey crap that a noob should ignore.

Pah! What are we meant to do? I mean, we're not exactly allowed to leave the lame babies outside the town walls for the wolves to feast on, after all! :D

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I’ve never done the legitimize bastards thing on purpose. I do the normal strategy for choosing a spouse which is to sort by highest stewardship and choose the one whose age is closest to the late teens/early 20s. Backup strategy to that is marrying for alliances which I really only do at sub-kingdom levels.

Especially if you’re doing a pagan Norse run for example there won’t be very many candidates for alliance anyway. Divine marriage is a great modifier choice for reforming the religion in this case, if you can manage to do that in the first place.

If I pick up any lovers along the way, fine, but those children aren’t getting legitimized into my dynasty unless they stand to inherit something.

600 hours and I’ve still never gotten an immortal character...got pretty close once I think through the Learning path. Or whatever one you play chess with Death for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I usually only legitimize a bastard if I've got nobody else or am otherwise forced to (or if there's some fun roleplaying reason I guess). The people who use them to do weird eugenics to get a cool heir are just gaming the system in a really boring way

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I usually only legitimize a bastard if I've got nobody else or am otherwise forced to (or if there's some fun roleplaying reason I guess). The people who use them to do weird eugenics to get a cool heir are just gaming the system in a really boring way

Yeah, that's fair. Personally, I'll leave them unlegitimized (but still acknowledged, because I like having the option) unless I need an heir, or if they're just plain amazing. (i.e. they're a genius, or if they've proven themselves and have become highly useful to me - like by being a successful general, etc.)

But drat, I really need to play CK2 again - I haven't played a full game since before Holy Fury dropped. I'm also tempted to get the CK board game, seeing as that's just come available. (Since I forgot about the Kickstarter, so I missed out on that)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, I guess you guys would have an opinion: do conclave and monks add any really cool stuff? They're the only two expansions I don't have but they don't seem too exciting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Actually, I guess you guys would have an opinion: do conclave and monks add any really cool stuff? They're the only two expansions I don't have but they don't seem too exciting.

Conclave is quite good to have, I feel. Especially if you're already familiar with the game, since it shakes things up a bit, with regards to your vassals. It also adds in a better education system - I don't recall if that was part of the free update or not, though.
M&M is a little more 'meh' than Conclave, I feel. It's definitely good (and less OP than at release, from memory) but a LOT of it delves into the paranormal quite a bit. So if you only play with the paranormal/supernatural events turned off, it's probably not worth bothering with, to be honest. But yeah, if you do play with paranormal events, I'd recommend it. Playing as a satanist can be fun. It's not really an 'essential' DLC though, compared to Conclave and some of the others.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Conclave is practically required imo. I started playing ck2 with it and it feels so fundamental to the balance of the game.

I don’t own M&M and not really interested in getting it. Seems like it’s full of satanist monkeycheese.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Seems like it’s full of satanist monkeycheese.

This is accurate

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Satanists actually suck a lot because if you use their stuff to much on a row you keep getting lovely traits and most of their abilities are useless or crappy. The monastical societies, the hermetics and the warrior lodges added in holy fury meanwhile are incredibly better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Satanists: You can get a rng chance to curse someone at the price of being very likely of being executed by your liege (if vassal) and getting several lovely vices.
Hermetics: You easily get your Learning stat to 30 and get fuckawesome artifacts like the handgun
Monastic Orders: You and your wards (be sure your heir is one!) get some of the best traits in the game and can get to instantly convert a province to the culture or religion you have

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I play with the monkey cheese crap turned off and only did Satanists once just to check it out and I still like M&M a lot. I wish there had been more societies to join instead of the handful that’s in the game and it’s not a must-have by any means but I still like it, the flavor events are fun and you can get some good traits and artifacts.

Conclave basically is mandatory though, I really like the changes it made to the council system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Satanists actually suck a lot because if you use their stuff to much on a row you keep getting lovely traits and most of their abilities are useless or crappy. The monastical societies, the hermetics and the warrior lodges added in holy fury meanwhile are incredibly better.

Yeah, but it doesn't seem like enough to really sell the dlc for. Maybe I'll see if someone has a spare conclave key from the bundle though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Conclave is actually good but M&M sucks bigtime. I'd still get it if its cheap but wow what a rip off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If anyone implies they don’t own all the dlc plus cosmetic items and music packs, I’ll be contacting the moderators.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't know why anyone is talking about not getting every DLC when the whole package is on sale for $15. Hell, you can pay $0.01 if you just want the latest DLCs (including holy fury).

I'm saltmad because I finally bought rajas of India a week before this sale. Don't be like me. Now is the perfect time to take the map pill.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm gonna buy the bundle when I get home for last couple ones cuz I've been too broke to buy them. As much as I poo poo talk ck2 sometimes it's my favorite map game and i play it a ton

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If anyone implies they don’t own all the dlc plus cosmetic items and music packs, I’ll be contacting the moderators.

This.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if you don't have the allied radio dlc then how can you even live with yourself

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Knuc U Kinte posted:

im sadly missing the ebooks

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Satanists: You can get a rng chance to curse someone at the price of being very likely of being executed by your liege (if vassal) and getting several lovely vices.
Hermetics: You easily get your Learning stat to 30 and get fuckawesome artifacts like the handgun
Monastic Orders: You and your wards (be sure your heir is one!) get some of the best traits in the game and can get to instantly convert a province to the culture or religion you have

Wtf I didn’t know about wards.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Last day for the CK2 deal!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the two genders

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TNO confirmed for still the best hoi4 mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyDlQHOkGc

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
tno seems cool

is it worth playing the demo thing or should i just wait for a release

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Id say wait. The countries featured are way too small for my taste

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EU4 patch notes posted:

Removed version of Heshen event for Ming. Deemed historically implausible.
"Historically implausible" in a game that let's you revive the ancient Roman Empire in the 15th-early 19th century.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What was the event, and how could it possibly be less believable than the historical Heshen.

e: oh was it showing up even if you were still Ming?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone here like playing EU4 multiplayer? Got a small group of imps that play regularly but the more the merrier.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The only time a paradox strategy MP group puts out an open call is when the established players have gotten tired of 'keeping things fun for everybody' and want to whip some new guys like a gang initiation

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

The only time a paradox strategy MP group puts out an open call is when the established players have gotten tired of 'keeping things fun for everybody' and want to whip some new guys like a gang initiation

Maybe dont project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

IDK what goes on in Games groups but everyone here is normal. It's just a handful of us though so I put the word out if other people are having difficulty finding normal people to game with.