Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst part about the newer heroes is not basing them off the unused wc3 models. we need a siege engine hero. we need a sludge hero. we need a hydra hero. we need a gryphon rider hero. we need a raider hero.

Agreed; this ruins my plans to re-make WC3 as a DotA custom map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Spirit Vessel is just too expensive for most heroes to buy, and if you start to lose it becomes absolutely worthless since you need charges for it. Against Alchemist per se, it might stop his regen for a short time, but it doesn't really help your hero survive against his million-second stun, or get through his radiance miss chance, or to stop him from escaping once you've used the Vessel on him. Io it doesn't even really work against because the hero is gonna be so far away slamming your team with orbs.

I think another big fundamental design flaw with Dota is the game's total lack of Break outsdie of like...two heroes, or Silver Edge, which is a terrible item in the current pro meta. The closest thing to a consistent Break ability is Shadow Demon who is, big coincidence, one of the most valued supports in the game, and it's not even a full Break that can disable passives.

That's why you always BH 4. :getin:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst part about the newer heroes is not basing them off the unused wc3 models. we need a siege engine hero. we need a sludge hero. we need a hydra hero. we need a gryphon rider hero. we need a raider hero.

Wasn’t the hydra already used as one of the super creep models?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Wasn’t the hydra already used as one of the super creep models?

So?

storm, earth and fire were used for storm spirit earth spirit and fire spirit.

centaur warchief and ogre magi were jungle creeps, and naix was a lane creep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pugna is a lane creep too. treant protector is a tower.

but it is nuts siege engine and especially raider were never used.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 30, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

pugna is a lane creep too. treant protector is a tower.

but it is nuts siege engine and especially raider were never used.
I think there was a siege engine hero at some point (Sidereal Engine?).

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Isn't lone druid bear just a Melee siege creep

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

No thats Misha

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
raider was used, that hero got removed in dota 1 for being broken good (it was just batriders ultimate)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
give me the builder unit hero that invades the jungle before sieging a lane, like broodmother or chen but instead of creeps and a hero it's a squad of 20 buff rear end lane creeps

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
conjurer was awesome yeah

edit: rip to all the good heroes. old pudge, gambler, conjurer, that bug with CM where you could build towers

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody want to play tonight? I'll be playing some games in a bit(I'm not good)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always thought it'd be cool if a hero was like a creep commander who could marshal them in the lanes and do some goofy poo poo involving them. just have it directly be an upsized lane creep with extra doodads attached and more personality. almost like a pikmin/overlord kinda playstyle and not just a summoner.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Johnny Joestar posted:

i always thought it'd be cool if a hero was like a creep commander who could marshal them in the lanes and do some goofy poo poo involving them. just have it directly be an upsized lane creep with extra doodads attached and more personality. almost like a pikmin/overlord kinda playstyle and not just a summoner.

They actually have hero designs for something like that...in ARTIFACT.

Their abilities and cards featuring them are related to creeps, so if they recycle the designs for standard DOTA that'd be what they'd do probably.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody want to play tonight? I'll be playing some games in a bit(I'm not good)

Feel free to add me whenever, I've got an excess of free time these days. (nobody is good at dota)

https://steamcommunity.com/id/itssafenow

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lovely Wizard posted:

They actually have hero designs for something like that...in ARTIFACT.

Their abilities and cards featuring them are related to creeps, so if they recycle the designs for standard DOTA that'd be what they'd do probably.

i guess it's fitting for valve for a good idea to die with a game they hosed up and don't want to support anymore

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have they confirmed they've given up on it? Earlier this year they said, "We know we goofed, but we're gonna un-gently caress this pooch" and that was the last I heard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sab669 posted:

Have they confirmed they've given up on it? Earlier this year they said, "We know we goofed, but we're gonna un-gently caress this pooch" and that was the last I heard.

That was the last they said, yes. They've said nothing since then and the peak player number over the past month is 150. Game's hosed.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i always thought it would be cool to have a creep necromancer hero who could raise creeps from the dead. like they can see all the corpses of ALL the dead creeps.. and press a button like to make them entangle from beyond the grave, raise them up, etc. lvl 25 ult could raise all the dead creeps but with 1 dmg and 1 hp for like 30s lol. that would be badass. soooo many creeps. crash the fk out of the client :dukedoge:

sojazu
Mar 28, 2007
lol internets

Cuntellectual posted:

Feel free to add me whenever, I've got an excess of free time these days. (nobody is good at dota)

Added you on steam -

If anyone is interested in playing with a 3k mmr pleb, hmu

https://steamcommunity.com/id/magdev

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
7.22g time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

Chemical Rage no longer provides mana regeneration

Ha get hosed Alc

quote:

Level 15 Talent changed from +75 Spirits Hero Damage to Spirits Apply Slow

RIP

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

Sorry it took me awhile to respond to this. My partner is away this weekend so I'm gonna plan on playing a good amount! Gonna add you when I get home tonight, I forget what my actual Steam user ID thing is (I think wangzilla27?) but I know I changed it to 'pdools', so if you get a request from either of those names, that's me.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They fixed carry Io by breaking support Io :Icefrog_Things:

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
i'm just gonna use the gpm to rush solar crest to keep giving my carry more attack speed

YOU CAN'T STOP ME ICEFRAUD I'M GONNA GET LEVEL 25 ON DOTA+

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Just a quick tip, killing the Shopkeeper is a good way to get free items for a game, but I wouldn't recommend it; it will aggro the shopkeepers in every match after that one

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Idk if the lack of mana regen on Rage is going to break alch, since he can still just get soul ring.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Idk if the lack of mana regen on Rage is going to break alch, since he can still just get soul ring.

or you can just buy a clarity

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ezzer posted:

Just a quick tip, killing the Shopkeeper is a good way to get free items for a game, but I wouldn't recommend it; it will aggro the shopkeepers in every match after that one

Wait what

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am so tired of mid Sniper on my team in poo poo mmr I am trying to ban it every game but it doesn't work please help

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I am so tired of mid Sniper on my team in poo poo mmr I am trying to ban it every game but it doesn't work please help

play support sniper

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The raider hero in dota 1 was fun because you could lasso people then tp then into the fountain until you basically won the game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

play support sniper

I remember one game someone was trying to pick Jungle Legion Commander and I said "please do not" and they told me to gently caress myself.

I instalocked Legion and went offlane and went like 14/0 and absolutely crushed the lane and the guy never said anything else for the rest of the game. Dota good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone who jungles LC should be shot :colbert: that was a popular place to put her when she was first added and I never understood why because she is so much better in the lane

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sab669 posted:

Anyone who jungles LC should be shot :colbert: that was a popular place to put her when she was first added and I never understood why because she is so much better in the lane

It's the same reason people try to play Pudge mid eight years after TI1, or try to tell me that you shouldn't max W on Skywrath. Enough people do something and everyone says "oh that's how you're supposed to play" and then never re-assess. My favorite weird instance of this is when Slahser released his guide to Warlock, where he talked about how the lovely range on Fatal Bonds was too bad to be useful, so he maxed Upheaval and Shadow Word first. Literally the next day Warlock's Fatal Bonds range got buffed, but everyone still kept doing the W/E build because Slahser told them it was good and no one stopped to think about it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The most shameful game of my entire dota career was losing to a sunsfan jungle lc.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Nanomashoes posted:

The most shameful game of my entire dota career was losing to a sunsfan jungle lc.

My most memorable one was when we got slacks in party queue and I semi-bullied him into slamming techies and he carried/dragged us to victory.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Do you guys have an active discord? Link in the OP was expired. Looking to queue up with people. I queue with a friend but his conduct score is 1800 so we just get the worst most awful toxic games, so I wanted to get some like, regular games going [without him] lol

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

EAB posted:

Do you guys have an active discord? Link in the OP was expired. Looking to queue up with people. I queue with a friend but his conduct score is 1800 so we just get the worst most awful toxic games, so I wanted to get some like, regular games going [without him] lol

I believe the dota goon community has largely died off or splintered into smaller, isolated groups. Contrary to what you might think, goons aren't really much nicer than the people you find in solo queue so you aren't missing much. I've personally ruined many games for those who dare invite me to a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Minorkos posted:

I believe the dota goon community has largely died off or splintered into smaller, isolated groups. Contrary to what you might think, goons aren't really much nicer than the people you find in solo queue so you aren't missing much. I've personally ruined many games for those who dare invite me to a game

True in general, but then you have exemplars of respectful and cooperative play from the goon community like TCJimbo