Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You know, I tried looking for Fire Fight but as you can imagine its a very vague search term. Cheers, I feel vindicated now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
That reminds me of Jungle Strike. I loved when Pops would rent that game.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Does anyone know of a first person game, probably a shooter, where you fight dinosaurs and can get your eye pecked out by a pterodactyl? This loss of an eye was represented in your field of view being more limited. It was from sometime in the mid nineties I think. My first thought was Shadowcaster, or something from that era. Definitely not turok, as we never had a turok game in our house. Any help would be appreciated.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SoR Blaze posted:

Does anyone know of a first person game, probably a shooter, where you fight dinosaurs and can get your eye pecked out by a pterodactyl? This loss of an eye was represented in your field of view being more limited. It was from sometime in the mid nineties I think. My first thought was Shadowcaster, or something from that era. Definitely not turok, as we never had a turok game in our house. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.gog.com/game/robinsons_requiem_collection

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

Robinson's Requiem? This LP actually has that part in it: https://lparchive.org/Robinsons-Requiem/Update%203/

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Is it Jurassic Park: Trespasser?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Robinson's Requiem: "So how did you manage to amputate all your limbs"?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks everyone! It was definitely that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
DOS game, at least in style. Turn based criminal organization game, where you go around robbing stores or kidnapping people. You fight rival gangs in I think turn based combat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

DOS game, at least in style. Turn based criminal organization game, where you go around robbing stores or kidnapping people. You fight rival gangs in I think turn based combat.

Was it a management game like Gangsters Life of Crime?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Was it a management game like Gangsters Life of Crime?

Not that game. It had a town map, real simple DOS style graphics and sounds, you moved a little dude around the map to do stuff

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What year do you remember playing it? Was the turn based top down grid style, isometric, first person? Were the DOS graphics like gaudy rear end purple and cyan CGA style or more modern VGA with full color palettes?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Crime Fighter?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

That's the one!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Lol, the in-game currency is still in Deutsche Mark, that's a blast from the past.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That game had so much stuff to do in it, but it was horribly imbalanced. I think that grabbing children from the playground for ransom was the fastest way to earn dosh?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

THE BAR posted:

That game had so much stuff to do in it, but it was horribly imbalanced. I think that grabbing children from the playground for ransom was the fastest way to earn dosh?

Yeah, fastest track to outfitting your entire gang with grenades lol

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Trying to find a a dos game from early to mid 90s. It had a segment that included a animated stand-up comic telling the joke about god sending 3 boats to save a guy.

It was probably part of some giant shareware collection.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
...so, in attempting to do a write-up for an ancient interactive fiction game I wanted to know the name of, I actually generated enough clues to find it myself; it was A Mind Forever Voyaging. In a small way this actually kind of frustrates me, because I still don't have any leads for the couple of open requests right now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...so, in attempting to do a write-up for an ancient interactive fiction game I wanted to know the name of, I actually generated enough clues to find it myself; it was A Mind Forever Voyaging. In a small way this actually kind of frustrates me, because I still don't have any leads for the couple of open requests right now.

This reminds me of an ooooold interactive fiction game from a long time ago. All I remember is that you have multiple lives, and you *need* to die several times to beat it. Also, at one point you flush yourself down a toilet. Any ideas?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gynovore posted:

This reminds me of an ooooold interactive fiction game from a long time ago. All I remember is that you have multiple lives, and you *need* to die several times to beat it. Also, at one point you flush yourself down a toilet. Any ideas?

How old are we talking? Adam Cadre made a game I can’t recall but it starts with you as a Civil War soldier that runs into wild dogs and you resurrect to them eating your old body and the game is built around dying to clear puzzles.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

al-azad posted:

How old are we talking? Adam Cadre made a game I can’t recall but it starts with you as a Civil War soldier that runs into wild dogs and you resurrect to them eating your old body and the game is built around dying to clear puzzles.

Sometime during the 80's.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

There was this free to play game I played in the mid-2000s I think. It may have been a fan project. It was knockoff Gundams fighting in an arena. Third person over-the-shoulder with guns and melee weapons. The only thing I can remember is that it was barely localized and I'm pretty sure the Gundams were named after Windows operating systems. Ring any bells?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

al-azad posted:

This is Shrapnel, and at no point do you flush yourself down a toilet.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Xinlum posted:

There was this free to play game I played in the mid-2000s I think. It may have been a fan project. It was knockoff Gundams fighting in an arena. Third person over-the-shoulder with guns and melee weapons. The only thing I can remember is that it was barely localized and I'm pretty sure the Gundams were named after Windows operating systems. Ring any bells?

ultimate knight windom

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Hockles posted:

Hello,

There was a game I played on the school library computers in 8th grade, where it was like a investigation game. Where you had to figure out what caused certain things. Like why people got sick at a cookout, and it was because they left chicken out in the sun for like 6 hours. Or, you had to measure the distance of the tire skid to see how fast a car was going. It was point and click with static backgrounds. I believe I played it on PC (not Mac), released probably between 1996-1999. I'm almost positive it was not a "branded" game like CSI or Law & Order.

Any ideas?

Science Sleuths. It had FMVs and actors. The first one had you figuring out a weird blob appearing on the beach and if the beach was dangerous due to its presence, as well as discovering the reason a lawn mower exploded in a front lawn. I think my favorite experiment in it was when you tried smashing the blob and it just loving detonated.

Second one had you figuring out why everyone got sick in the cookout, and who was at fault in a bike crash, complete with measuring skid marks to determine how fast a car was going. You had to solve basic scientific questions in them, such as in the first one you had to figure out the density of the blob, which was weight/mass.

https://artsandculture.google.com/a.../twHmjOnppPkrOQ

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 9, 2019

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

You're not scrambling up bits of Hitchhiker's Guide maybe? There's no toilet in it but

(Above reminds me of how I wasted months convinced as a 10 year old that Mr Prosser was a real estate agent and needed to waive his fee, based on the Guide's listing for intelligence for the screen door puzzle)

(The guide and encyclopaedia frobozzica were the best)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chubby Henparty posted:

You're not scrambling up bits of Hitchhiker's Guide maybe? There's no toilet in it but

(Above reminds me of how I wasted months convinced as a 10 year old that Mr Prosser was a real estate agent and needed to waive his fee, based on the Guide's listing for intelligence for the screen door puzzle)

(The guide and encyclopaedia frobozzica were the best)

No, I played HHGttG. Dear god it was hard.

Had you read the book at age 10? I can't even imagine someone solving the Bugblatter Beast without having read the book.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I had I think, dad had put me on to weekly reruns of the radio show. Zaphod's boat puzzle was the one other stumper I never got past until years later - I'd been relying on the local game-rentals-by-post service whose monthly newsletter meant at least a couple months turnaround on posting a question and someone else the answer.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

E-Tank posted:

Science Sleuths. It had FMVs and actors. The first one had you figuring out a weird blob appearing on the beach and if the beach was dangerous due to its presence, as well as discovering the reason a lawn mower exploded in a front lawn. I think my favorite experiment in it was when you tried smashing the blob and it just loving detonated.

Second one had you figuring out why everyone got sick in the cookout, and who was at fault in a bike crash, complete with measuring skid marks to determine how fast a car was going. You had to solve basic scientific questions in them, such as in the first one you had to figure out the density of the blob, which was weight/mass.

https://artsandculture.google.com/a.../twHmjOnppPkrOQ

Holy poo poo. The food one is what I remember. Thanks for finding this!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Hockles posted:

Holy poo poo. The food one is what I remember. Thanks for finding this!

finding nothing, I played the gently caress out of these games. I completed the first one, completely, and it gave me a code to send to the makers, and as a result they sent me either a free, or discounted copy of the sequel. I wish there'd been more, but I get the feeling the FMV craze just was prohibitively expensive.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something.

Anyone recognize this? I want to play it!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Battle Brothers?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can't be, no.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay I'm looking for a graphical point and click adventure game. Not lucasarts. Around the era of dark seed because I pirated them from the same BBS in 1995 back to back.

The only thing that I remember is to solve a single puzzle you had to make friends with a british old lady and get her to start poo poo and distract the people guarding an area. She brags that she threw blood on the fox hunters at greenham common so she's up to the challenge of making a scene.

I used to go eat the worst hamburgers in the world in the cafeteria in greenham common airbase playing teenage mutant hero turtles on the arcade machine there and wondering why england was so afraid of ninjas they had to change the name. This is why this is the only thing about the game I can remember.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krinkle posted:

Okay I'm looking for a graphical point and click adventure game. Not lucasarts. Around the era of dark seed because I pirated them from the same BBS in 1995 back to back.

The only thing that I remember is to solve a single puzzle you had to make friends with a british old lady and get her to start poo poo and distract the people guarding an area. She brags that she threw blood on the fox hunters at greenham common so she's up to the challenge of making a scene.

I used to go eat the worst hamburgers in the world in the cafeteria in greenham common airbase playing teenage mutant hero turtles on the arcade machine there and wondering why england was so afraid of ninjas they had to change the name. This is why this is the only thing about the game I can remember.

The wikipedia page for Greenham Common says it's mentioned in the first Broken Sword game so that's probably it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sword:_The_Shadow_of_the_Templars

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I didn't think to look it up that way. Thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The first time one of those "in popular culture" sections was ever good for anything.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first time one of those "in popular culture" sections was ever good for anything.

I didn't even expect it to be in there but I just checked on a whim lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is probably the longest shot in the dark, but I have only the vaguest memory of this game. It would have been a Windows game from at 94-96. What I know for sure was that was an educational game that involved riding a subway / train around to different stops that were the letters of the alphabet. There was also an express train that only stopped at vowels. The train had a sign that said "No Spitting!" in it.

Edit: This may not have been the only part to the game, but it's the only thing I remember.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 27, 2019