Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I hope but don't expect that they would keep Vic the Veep to being a complete loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

Casting news! Goran Visnjic and Claudia Doumit, stars of Eric Kripke’s last show Timeless, are set to recur in Season 2.

Visnjic appears to be playing a new character, while Doumit is running another genderbent take on one of Ennis’ original cast members—but of course, if that finale demonstrated anything, it’s that all bets are off as far as what that means.

The beefcake guy who plays Joint Boy on Letterkenny is playing Gunpowder too

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SalTheBard posted:

So yeah I found this show deeply uncomfortable to watch, but I soldiered through all 8 episodes. I don't know if I enjoyed it or not? I was a little put off by the rape of Starlight in Episode 1. The scene in Episode 4 where Homelander and Maeve let the plane crash with everyone on board is what almost sent me over the edge. I just found it so unsettling. There is no real hero in the show (outside of Starlight) and everyone is varying shades of rear end in a top hat. I guess that is what people like about it. But holy gently caress Homelander raping Billys wife, then just straight up murdering Stillwell with his eye beams, and then digging in the dagger by taking Billy to her house was a really powerful way to end his story arc in season 1.

I will definitely be watching Season 2

Just something worth keeping in mind, we don't necessarily know if it was rape. The only person who said it was rape was Mallory, who openly admitted she wanted build Billy into a killer who's psychotically obsessed with Homelander. It's supposed to be ambiguous, but I think it's important since it opens up the possibilities over how this turns into a horrible, bloody mess.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I think I'm going to faint oh my god yes

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's interesting to note that Butcher calls Homelander a saint with no vices when first talking with Hughie. Kinda weird he didn't bring up his wife.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's interesting to note that Butcher calls Homelander a saint with no vices when first talking with Hughie. Kinda weird he didn't bring up his wife.

Huh. That IS interesting. I’ll have to keep that in mind during my rewatch.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SardonicTyrant posted:

I had that thought too. I figured he didn't want to share how much of a personal vendetta this was, yet, as he was still playing the FBI agent with Hughie. That still wouldn't explain calling him a saint, though.

It may have just been a case of the writers setting us up for "oh maybe Captain Superman's an ok guy->oh god he just lasered a plane" at the expense of Butcher's characterization, though

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm assumed it was because he didn't have any actual dirt on him. Most of the people who find out how much of a monster he is are being murdered by him

Edit: Plus, Hughie wasn't going to be a permanent partner, so it would've been more trouble to bring up the personal angle.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 6, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't remember how much of this is in the series, but comic Butcher keeps telling Hughie half-truths with the occasional outright lie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CainsDescendant posted:

It may have just been a case of the writers setting us up for "oh maybe Captain Superman's an ok guy->oh god he just lasered a plane" at the expense of Butcher's characterization, though

tbf it worked on me!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

tbf it worked on me!

It 100% worked for me too till he shot lasers at the plane and lol

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rocksicles posted:

Yes yes yes!

Is that a character original to the show?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yes yes yes!

No

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What was up with that bug flying around everyone? Is it some super small super hero spying on them?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

What was up with that bug flying around everyone? Is it some super small super hero spying on them?

I think they said it was just there during production because of where they were.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah they just got unlucky. It probably happens on feature films too, but they hire VFX companies to paint them out. This show either couldnt afford it or liked the look. If they can work the flies into the plot though as a single fly that was trying to interact with them this entire time that would be funny

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Porgs were invented because it was easier to paint over than try to remove all the aninals that kept getting in the star wars shoot

It happens

Leaning into it as an ant-man esque hero would be hilarious

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yes yes yes!

Nah, he was in the same unit that Popclaw was in the comics. He did almost nothing and kind of looked like Judge Dredd meets Mad Max.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Porgs were invented because it was easier to paint over than try to remove all the aninals that kept getting in the star wars shoot

It happens

Leaning into it as an ant-man esque hero would be hilarious

That's what it is to me now. Translucent and Flyboy, an odd couple who bonded over their mutual love of perving on people in bathrooms

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McSpanky posted:

That's what it is to me now. Translucent and Flyboy, an odd couple who bonded over their mutual love of perving on people in bathrooms

and Flyboy does not forgive.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

The showrunner explains this in the reddit interview here: https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/cjt17f/im_eric_kripke_the_cocreator_of_the_new_amazon/
https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/cjt17f/im_eric_kripke_the_cocreator_of_the_new_amazon/evfyo9a/

quote:

Ha, tons of people are asking about the fly! First, NOT CG, those are real flies. Here's the lowdown: in several takes over a couple episodes, flies would buzz into the shots, because it's summer in Toronto. Whenever I saw it, I wanted to use it in dailies, because that's something that happens ALL THE loving TIME in reality, but you never see it in TV or movies. Just felt a little messy and real to me. The more I thought about it, the more it also came to represent the corruption of the world all these characters are struggling through. But was just a happy accident. I've read some theories that it's a hero -- ha ha, maybe one day!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Plan Z posted:

Nah, he was in the same unit that Popclaw was in the comics. He did almost nothing and kind of looked like Judge Dredd meets Mad Max.

Oh, okay, that group. They took on so many 'hero' groups in the comic, it's hard to remember all the names.

Except for my boy Gumchum!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm struggling to figure out if Love Sausage is too dumb to be in the show or not. On the one hand, it's a really juvenile gag, on the other hand rear end bomb.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm struggling to figure out if Love Sausage is too dumb to be in the show or not. On the one hand, it's a really juvenile gag, on the other hand rear end bomb.

Vas wasn't all that dumb. He also really owned:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5c9eEnNWHzg/W9Ft0L_A8qI/AAAAAAAAWwI/hOZFa-TWezMiNC0plzvGxoklHQ1opgzIgCHMYCw/s1600/RCO017.jpg

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The concept was kinda dumb, although not so bad as other poo poo even in that same arc.

When you verbalize "true Communist codenamed after his giant dick", it hits you

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hell, hire David harbour for it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So the whole time I thought that Vought was secretly turning babies into supes by disguising their magic drug as a polio vaccine stocked in hospitals nationwide. But then it turns out that the parents of supes all know about this and none of them have come forward about the true nature of superpowers because ???. Am I missing something or was this really dumb?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So the whole time I thought that Vought was secretly turning babies into supes by disguising their magic drug as a polio vaccine stocked in hospitals nationwide. But then it turns out that the parents of supes all know about this and none of them have come forward about the true nature of superpowers because ???. Am I missing something or was this really dumb?

Also that and like how many babies die from this poo poo? Like sure the parents sign an NDA or whatever but it only takes one leak to blow it open.

It kinda doesn’t make sense on the scale they are doing it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

His sad little smoothie with way too much alcohol in it that "smells like a comeback"

Had to remind myself of his first episode scene to avoid feeling too bad about it

I honestly heard that as "smells like a cum rag."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It was very dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Uhhhh you're missing that Hugie knows A-Train killed his girlfriend and Vought just PR's him to oblivion. You think some random parents yelling wouldn't get the same thing? (Or be killed by Homelander, like the politician who mentions Compound V??)

:v:

Not to mention they're all complicit and have signed a ton of contracts and poo poo. Vought probably does their homework on the parents, finds ones who are totally lifetime believers, and then if they step out of line they disappear them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also there aren't actually that many supers compared to the general population, seems plausible they could keep the parents silent

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Vought probably bought the parent's cooperation and silence with cash and promises of being Homelander #2's mom/dad

And it's also pretty dumb, yes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also there probably are conspiracy theorists who think superheros are clones created in a lab or on super drugs, why not? they'd get labelled as crazy fringe personalities. just ranting on youtube.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Well Starlight's mother did say she agreed to a program that was the same if not similar. It may be not well-explained holdover from the comics where Vought was much more insidious.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhhh you're missing that Hugie knows A-Train killed his girlfriend and Vought just PR's him to oblivion. You think some random parents yelling wouldn't get the same thing? (Or be killed by Homelander, like the politician who mentions Compound V??)

:v:

Not to mention they're all complicit and have signed a ton of contracts and poo poo. Vought probably does their homework on the parents, finds ones who are totally lifetime believers, and then if they step out of line they disappear them.

That makes *enough* sense and if it turns out that Starlight's dad got disappeared because he was gonna talk then I'll retract my complaint.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How could you live here in 2019 with literally any and all corruption going open-faced and unpunished and assume any number of parents coming forward would be met with anything other than memes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Government DRUGGED MY BABY and GAVE HER SUPER POWERS

like lol whatever lady

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

How could you live here in 2019 with literally any and all corruption going open-faced and unpunished and assume any number of parents coming forward would be met with anything other than memes?

Yeah I was about to say, when Trump's followers will continue to ignore everything he does, its not hard to imagine how Homelander could get away with the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ask the mayor of Baltimore why more people haven't gone public.

Also, we really don't know how many parents actually know. Not every super necessarily comes from the same circumstances as Starlight, maybe Vought usually runs a tighter ship.