Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Owen Jones rting reports that John Mann's jumped ship to sabotage Labour in the runup to the election:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1170415599421403136

e; 123 is a number composed of three consecutively ascending integers, those being 1, 2, and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I made a thing.

(with apologies to Stephen Collins)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

It seems more like some bizarre death wish to me. It really reminds me of the crowds in 1914 rapturously cheering the beginning of WW1 and eagerly lining up at the recruiting offices for the Western Front meatgrinder.

It's a symptom of some deep sickness in our society imo.

Because back then people believed in government and that the war was bejng fought for everyones interest. Nowadays theres too much information out there

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Adequate posted:

Owen Jones rting reports that John Mann's jumped ship to sabotage Labour in the runup to the election:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1170415599421403136

e; 123 is a number composed of three consecutively ascending integers, those being 1, 2, and 3.

yeah that dude jumping before he's pushed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CoolCab posted:

He voted Brexit in, is he leaving the Labour party? Why is this dullard trying to do this?

Jesus this feckless sack of poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

CoolCab posted:

Yuuup and I clicked through to the article and he chats a genuinely impressive amount of shite about Labour and Jezza.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Yuuup and I clicked through to the article and he chats a genuinely impressive amount of shite about Labour and Jezza.

"They are all anti-semites!" "Who you were in the party with for years" "YES WELL THEY GAVE ME A JOB."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bobstar posted:

German speaker?

9. In fact I actively try to avoid speaking german, because I'm not very good. Norwegian I do speak though. Both languages, as well as obviously my own dialect which is basically incomprehensible to non-native speakers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Namtab posted:

I don't think boris gets to ask the queen to say no to something thats passed parliament. Shes certainly not going to get drawn into a constitutional crisis trying. She only agreed to prorogue parliament because that is a thing she can do, and while its immoral for boris to tine it like this he is within his rights to do so.

As for the latter, i suspect that if boris refuses to ask himself then as its a passed statute he'll be found in contempt and they'll get someone else to ask unless the law is stupid enough to say that boris will do it as opposed to the government

If I remember right, the wording of the law is that the Prime Minister does the asking.

And people were saying that royal assent is based on the prime minister's advice like prorogation is, so there has been talk of Boris getting the queen to refuse it. Hopefully this isn't true, but I'm a bit worried.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1170290722731376640?s=19

gOVeRNmenT SUbsIdieS R bAD

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nice piece of fish posted:

9. In fact I actively try to avoid speaking german, because I'm not very good. Norwegian I do speak though. Both languages, as well as obviously my own dialect which is basically incomprehensible to non-native speakers.

There are *three* Cockneys ITT?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Welsh has it too: "ch"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r2AX5v55ds&t=60s

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Earlier in the week there was a whole thing about tories in the lords filibustering the bill, and some mention that the deal was they'd stop if labour agreed to bojos election. What happened there? Presumably they caved but why?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

Aah, coming at it from the "other side". Interesting. I asked because native German speakers (including me-ish, 3 years ago) say the same thing, they can read it a bit but it looks weird (listening is a whole other thing, as we've established).

Also I have learned, if congratulated on how fast you've learned Dutch, take the compliment and bask in appearing like a super-Brit. Because otherwise it goes like this:

"Oh well, it was easier because I already spoke German"
Dutch person: "Why would that help :confused:"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are *three* Cockneys ITT?

Damnit I was going to make a similar joke about Scousers :argh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Josef bugman posted:

"They are all anti-semites!" "Who you were in the party with for years" "YES WELL THEY GAVE ME A JOB."

I love this line of argument because a lot of them come out with the clearly insane response that "well there were zero antisemites, then Corbyn got elected leader and suddenly everyone hated Jews"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bobstar posted:

I made a thing.

(with apologies to Stephen Collins)

:golfclap:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mainwaring posted:

Earlier in the week there was a whole thing about tories in the lords filibustering the bill, and some mention that the deal was they'd stop if labour agreed to bojos election. What happened there? Presumably they caved but why?

There was a deal reached with labour to pass it but I don't know if we heard any more details than that.

I think the real reason might have been it was past 1AM and the tory lords are all a million years old and needed their beds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the airport also is the closest to a Trump property, where a bunch of the military personnel stayed over :thunk:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bobstar posted:

Aah, coming at it from the "other side". Interesting. I asked because native German speakers (including me-ish, 3 years ago) say the same thing, they can read it a bit but it looks weird (listening is a whole other thing, as we've established).

Also I have learned, if congratulated on how fast you've learned Dutch, take the compliment and bask in appearing like a super-Brit. Because otherwise it goes like this:

Well, the languages are pretty similar? Kinda? Guess it's just one of those quirks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This
is loving
INCREDIBLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwslRDTyzU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

I knew German from living in Germany for a few years, and I learned Norwegian (to about GCSE level) and I found Dutch comprehensible - I think of it like German with a Norwegian pronunciation.
I was proud of myself - first time I went to Norway and tried my Norwegian, Norwegians would answer me in English straight away. Second time I went, they would look at me quizzically and say "Er du dansk?" The hotel even put all the 'in room on the tv' messages for me in Danish til my Norwegian friend rang up and told them I was English. He also said the fact that people thought I was Danish showed how poo poo my accent was. I said you can't believe how wonderful it is for people not to immediately think you're English when trying out a foreign language.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1170428797805629446

Rats and sinking ships etc

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

e; ^^^ Oh jesus does she think that she can insist on them recounting it over and over until they put her back in? Might have worked when the vote was close, trying it when she gets hammered and loses by 4000 is another matter

Oh god the £ falling bit got me good

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:lol: She's hosed anyway - there was only a difference of 346 votes between her and the LAB candidate at the last election.

Pretty convient timing; I was just about to go through the list of constituences for the thread to find the ones with the smallest gap between CON and LAB.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 7, 2019

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I knew German from living in Germany for a few years, and I learned Norwegian (to about GCSE level) and I found Dutch comprehensible - I think of it like German with a Norwegian pronunciation.
I was proud of myself - first time I went to Norway and tried my Norwegian, Norwegians would answer me in English straight away. Second time I went, they would look at me quizzically and say "Er du dansk?" The hotel even put all the 'in room on the tv' messages for me in Danish til my Norwegian friend rang up and told them I was English. He also said the fact that people thought I was Danish showed how poo poo my accent was. I said you can't believe how wonderful it is for people not to immediately think you're English when trying out a foreign language.

Haha, that's hilarious. Totally agree on the not seeming English thing.

Very similar, when I moved over here, a guy who I'd worked with before, who knew me as the British guy, heard me speaking Dutch and literally burst out laughing, saying "hahaha you sound like a German!!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I love this line of argument because a lot of them come out with the clearly insane response that "well there were zero antisemites, then Corbyn got elected leader and suddenly everyone hated Jews"

I don't understand how folks can push it. Ah well.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Haha, did they time the John Mann thing to be all over the Sunday morning political shows only for Amber Rudd to steal the headline instead? Classic Dom!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

marktheando posted:

There was a deal reached with labour to pass it but I don't know if we heard any more details than that.

I think the real reason might have been it was past 1AM and the tory lords are all a million years old and needed their beds.

The brexiters thought the other side wasn't willing to sit thought 50+ hours of debates, motions, and votes. However it soon became apparent the anti-no deal lords were more than willing to put up the fight and the Tories blinked first.

My feeling is due to Dom having another classic up his sleeve.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That doesn't sound right to me.

Badværelset

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
First CLP pulled the trigger on deselecting their MP, not one I (we?) were expecting:
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1170393048745820160

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
She's not too far from where I live and I've got to be honest...

...what?

Who triggered this? Who's standing against her? What?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1170432646880681987
:unsmigghh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I imagine it's one of those little internal CLP disputes rather than anything bigger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

xtothez posted:

Haha, did they time the John Mann thing to be all over the Sunday morning political shows only for Amber Rudd to steal the headline instead? Classic Dom!

What John Mann thing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The John Mann decision was from months back. He was one of Theresa May's last appointments before Johnson came in (she also appointed an islamophobia advisor, which was widely believed to be a jab at her successor).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

What John Mann thing?

He's going to be some sort of antisemitism czar for the government which I assume means he's leaving the Labour Party at last.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

What John Mann thing?

he's quitting labour to become the government's anti-semitism tsar (this is not a joke)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

The John Mann decision was from months back. He was one of Theresa May's last appointments before Johnson came in (she also appointed an islamophobia advisor, which was widely believed to be a jab at her successor).

I think the actual news is that he's resigning as MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marktheando posted:

he's quitting labour to become the government's anti-semitism tsar (this is not a joke)

lol