Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

are we just not counting eve online for some reason?

you're just a spaceship in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Save us from bad space mmorpgs Chris Roberts

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're just a spaceship in that.

And lets be honest....Eve online isn't really a "action" game. I did like Earth and Beyond which I feel was a better take but since it came around 2002 it was pretty rough. Really like EA at least tried something different then another fantasy MMO at the time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Everyone warned me about the grind. I was like eh nbd, this game is a lot of fun!

Then I hit 56, got duo's in everything and was like EHHH. Especially cause I'm not huge into the lifeskills.
The grind is fine until you start looking at getting "viable" pvp gear. All the pvm stuff and lifeskills are reasonable and a good time if you pace yourself and chip in an hour here, an hour there.

I definitely agree it's a fun game for a bit, and it is free to play. It's a cool take on ARPG combat in MMO format.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaysette posted:

are we just not counting eve online for some reason?

EVE at its peak had 1/10th the subscriptions of WOW's peak

Oh, you were responding to the sci-fi thing.

BexGu posted:

I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns. I would love a updated Tabula Rasa without tab combat.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember when anarchy online came out as the first sci-fi mmo but it was pretty much fantasy in a sci-fi outfit.

IDK that's meaningless anyways; sci-fi and fantasy are the same genre. Sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic, sufficiently advanced magic indistinguishable from technology.

Look at things like Dune, its sci-fi but feels like Fantasy on Arrakis. Look at Dragonriders of Pern, or a million other things. Is Full-metal Alchemist sci-fi or fantasy?

Really making a hard distinction between "Sci-fi" and "Fantasy" only makes sense if you mean sci-fi that actually involves math and science, or if you're talking about "Tolkien" vs "Star Wars".

A lot of fantasy does just crib from Tolkien and a lot of sci-fi from Star Wars, but there's an infinity of other possible things if you're truly creative.

BexGu's post makes sense in the context of "not action bar tab combat", like an FPS, but then something that's fantasy but has a different combat model like Dark Souls should probably work too? You could have Dark Souls but everybody has lightsabers instead of swords, but still suits of armor... would that be sci-fi or fantasy then? It starts to become kinda blurry what "not fantasy" means exactly.

Or if you're saying you're sick of Tolkien-fantasy then that makes sense too. I want to see more creative things than just Elves and Dwarves every time.

So if you're talking about the gameplay, then EVE doesn't count, but if you're talking about just sci-fi trappings then EVE should count, but so should some other things like SWTOR? But if SWTOR counts as "fantasy-as-scifi" then so does everything. Unless we're talking about gameplay.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 7, 2019

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Sometimes I feel like what people mean when they say they want a Sci-Fi, they want something like what Star Wars Galaxies was before the Jedi stuff was implemented/found, or something like Star Wars Galaxies without “The Force” at all. Or maybe early on when they were rare. Not necessarily the Star Wars brand, either. They want aliens and blasters, maybe a bit of a frontier “Wild West” vibe thrown in. De-emphasize melee combat, put in more exploration, have flying contraption as a thing with appropriate mechanics. Maybe even space flight to go to other planets.

I also feel like a lot of people are quietly or unconsciously pinning hopes that the setting change that this hypothetical SciFi MMO they are wishing for will also bring anything or than another in the EverQuest vein where you tab target, do your rotation, and level up to do the End Game. I feel this is one of the reasons (among many, many others) why people rejected or were disappointed with WildStar.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 7, 2019

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Zaphod42 posted:

Really making a hard distinction between "Sci-fi" and "Fantasy" only makes sense if you mean sci-fi that actually involves math and science, or if you're talking about "Tolkien" vs "Star Wars".

Your kinda spot on. If you look at the Hugo awards or other thing, Hard Sci Fi is about changing 1 or 2 elements of a modern world and exploring the what if scenario that results from those changes. The parallels between the 3 laws of robotics and today's self driving cars choosing to save the passenger or the car its about to hit is a problem that's coming up right now. You could say that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a fairly good hard sci fi game (But not an MMO of course) as its dealing with a world where you can change anything about your body that you want, a world where male and female are lost to a range of options that we lack vocabulary for today. Also this world is not magic, we have all the elements today, they are just not quite like in Cyberpunk 2077.

Transpose this to Warhammer 40k, an obvious fantasy world that just happens to have space ships. This world is not trying to explore human culture in the far off future, its simply trying to make a dark setting that could never exist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PyRosflam posted:

Your kinda spot on. If you look at the Hugo awards or other thing, Hard Sci Fi is about changing 1 or 2 elements of a modern world and exploring the what if scenario that results from those changes. The parallels between the 3 laws of robotics and today's self driving cars choosing to save the passenger or the car its about to hit is a problem that's coming up right now. You could say that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a fairly good hard sci fi game (But not an MMO of course) as its dealing with a world where you can change anything about your body that you want, a world where male and female are lost to a range of options that we lack vocabulary for today. Also this world is not magic, we have all the elements today, they are just not quite like in Cyberpunk 2077.

Transpose this to Warhammer 40k, an obvious fantasy world that just happens to have space ships. This world is not trying to explore human culture in the far off future, its simply trying to make a dark setting that could never exist.

But even then, if you extrapolate our rate of advancement, in 40,000 years its entirely possible we will have all the technology of warhammer. Most of it is impractical and stylized, things like walking mechs don't seem to make sense in the real world because of physics and engineering. But massive intergalactic spaceships, weapons of world-scale mass destruction? Not really so hard to imagine if you extend the timeline far enough.

And 40k presents itself as sci-fi, but you're saying its kinda fantasy because its not as hard about the science.

But you could have a 'fantasy' setting that's more 'hard' about it, too. Like I referenced full-metal alchemist. Or consider the Mistborn series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn#Allomancy

Is Allomancy science or magic? It uses hard rules about which elements produce which effects, and like you mentioned about Cyberpunk 2077 it has people augmenting their bodies with science, which relates to our real world experiences.
So is that "Hard Fantasy" ? Or does it become sci-fi?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK that's meaningless anyways; sci-fi and fantasy are the same genre. Sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic, sufficiently advanced magic indistinguishable from technology.

Look at things like Dune, its sci-fi but feels like Fantasy on Arrakis. Look at Dragonriders of Pern, or a million other things. Is Full-metal Alchemist sci-fi or fantasy?

A lot of fantasy does just crib from Tolkien and a lot of sci-fi from Star Wars, but there's an infinity of other possible things if you're truly creative.

BexGu's post makes sense in the context of "not action bar tab combat", like an FPS, but then something that's fantasy but has a different combat model like Dark Souls should probably work too? You could have Dark Souls but everybody has lightsabers instead of swords, but still suits of armor... would that be sci-fi or fantasy then? It starts to become kinda blurry what "not fantasy" means exactly.

Or if you're saying you're sick of Tolkien-fantasy then that makes sense too. I want to see more creative things than just Elves and Dwarves every time.

So if you're talking about the gameplay, then EVE doesn't count, but if you're talking about just sci-fi trappings then EVE should count, but so should some other things like SWTOR? But if SWTOR counts as "fantasy-as-scifi" then so does everything. Unless we're talking about gameplay.

A game like Aliens is not like Lord of the Rings

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone going to play Second Galaxy when it launches next week? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133730/Second_Galaxy/

It's an Eve-Online rip off but for mobile phones, tablets, and Steam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BexGu posted:

Almost ALL of them where that. Wildstar was just WoW with a new coat of paint and lovely everything else.

I miss Wildstar. :(

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone going to play Second Galaxy when it launches next week? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133730/Second_Galaxy/

Yeah gently caress it. I'll give that a try.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

That looks exactly like eve lmao, sure I’ll try it on my phone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

In what way? In that Aliens is horror and lord of the rings is adventure?

Because not all sci-fi is like Aliens, and not all fantasy is like Lord of the Rings.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

That looks exactly like eve lmao, sure I’ll try it on my phone.

Yes, because it's literally ripping off EvE assets. Which is what you'd sort of expect from a lovely, noname Chinese studio.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
What a coincidence, CCP is also releasing an actual eve mobile game:

https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2018/netease-and-ccp-reveal-eve-echoes-an-authentic-eve-online-experience-for

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
BDO's problem with locking PvP behind op gear grind is that it creates a positive feedback loop that kills accessibility.

Even if you get the bare minimum gear required for PvP you're still going to be playing against veterans that not only have a massive mechanical advantage over you due to having best in slot gear, but also a massive skill advantage from simply the fact that they're veterans.

That's not to say that gear based PvP is an inherently flawed concept, but there need to be catch up or otherwise equalizing mechanics for newer players. It's one thing to try and overcome a skill gap, it's another thing to overcome a raw numbers gap, and it's an entirely different beast trying to distinguish the two.

Honestly, BDO physically hurts me. I don't think there's ever been an MMO that I feel in love with as much on a visual, world-building, micro-mechanics, and combat system. Everything had this unknowing mistique, kind of like Chinagame. Unfortunately, I feel like none of that content ever got the post-release dev time it deserved, and it's dull end-game/monitization/pvp kinda ruined it for me.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Chinese Cloning another western game? pickachuface.jpeg

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Developed by NetEase Games in conjunction with CCP Games, EVE: Echoes will arrive on iOS and Android in 2019.

I am kind of curious how this ends up considering it's a p2w-iap-garbage chinese game factory being the developer.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Zaphod42 posted:

Because not all sci-fi is like Aliens, and not all fantasy is like Lord of the Rings.

Let's just say that I disagree with the notion that sci-fi and fantasy are the same genre.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It'd be nice if you explained yourself instead of just dumping your opinion and walking away :confused:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

What? I don't feel like having a long winded convo about why two separate genres are two separate genres.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There will never be a good MMO ever again if we can't even agree on what a genre is!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Chomp8645 posted:

There will never be a good MMO ever again if we can't even agree on what a genre is!

Let me tell you why magical realism and horror fiction are actually exactly the same.. wait.. where are you going?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d play a Haruki Murakami mmo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

I’d play a Haruki Murakami mmo.

It would play you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Let me tell you why magical realism and horror fiction are actually exactly the same.. wait.. where are you going?

Dude you could have just said "yeah, that" :colbert: You're being pretty rude about this.

I literally suggested that and now you're pretending that I'm arguing exactly the opposite. Bullshit dude.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think to me it's a matter of aesthetic or something? For example it feels like every fantasy mmo has the same 6 classes of knight/warrior/rogue/archer/wizard/priest with maybe a few extras. Same goes for the races invariably being human/elf/orc/wildcard animal(or child race in the case of Asian mmos). It'd be nice to see something different for once from new properties. A Jedi might be mechanically similar to a knight but gdi at least it's not another vaguely Christian sword/board guy

Xun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 8, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's a kind of sci-fi that's practically fantasy but most people know what you mean when you say "i want a sci-fi mmo". and yeah like xun said in this game genre it's not like there's a lot of fantasy that's any different than the popular template.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adding to the poo poo train of new and boring MMORPGS, on September 10 is the release of the Playstation 4 exclusive, Caravan Stories. It is free to play.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks bad

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Sci-fi has rivets.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Zaphod42 posted:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude you could have just said "yeah, that" :colbert: You're being pretty rude about this.

I literally suggested that and now you're pretending that I'm arguing exactly the opposite. Bullshit dude.

Why would I say "yeah that" when I fundamentally disagree that the two genres are the same. I tried to drop it by saying, let's just say that I don't agree with you.

I continue to disagree and I'm not getting dragged into some in depth discussion with you. I can tell you're the type ready to write nineteen paragraphs about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember necron? it was sort of a deus ex mmo. man i tried every loving garbage mmo back in those days hoping to find the perfect one.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That was pretty good with the three different classes and like open warfare almost anywhere. The reboots went more and more carebear and died out.

Anyone remember that awful game FACES OF MANKIND?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

bring back autoa ssault

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to peek into the universe where the 2001 mechwarrior MMO made it to release.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I want to peek into the universe where Warhammer Age of Reckoning didn't loving die bros :negative:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Sci-Fi and fantasy are basically the same thing tho'.

Planes/Continents = Planets. Spaces = Ocean/Magical Ocean. Magic = techno-mumbo jumbo. Motley crew of tolketien races = aliens. Like Star Trek: Voyager could have been literally the same exact show if it was an actual sailing ship that got sucked into a magical whirlpool to the other side of the planet and they had to sail back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Just one solution: Orcs in space!