Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I tried Xenoblades on the 3DS and I just like the battle system. I didn't get far though.

OhFunny posted:

I got finally signed up for Nintendo Online to try some of the SNES games, but am just playing Tetris 99 nonstop now.

Daily missions are all I need to come back regularly. I came in third, which is my new record, because I messed it up, so I think a win is in the stars.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The other day, I was kind of paralyzed by options, when it came to either playing SNES games, or Genesis/Megadrive games (via the Classics Collection). I love both systems, and I spent way too long trying to decide. Remember back in the day when you could only rent what was available at whatever store you happened to be in?

That gave me an idea for a thread; we choose from the easily accessible libraries of NES, SNES, Gen/MD, and maybe NeoGeo, and once a week, we all play and talk about the same game, just like we might have with our friends out on the schoolyard, or if they slept over and we played it all night.

I'd like to kind of style it in a way that was as if we were all collectively returning a game and renting a new one (sometimes two!) every Friday. We play (together, if/when possible), we discuss, we analyze, we meme... And then on Friday, we do it all again with another game.

Who'd be down for this? I'd love to OP it.

I'm down for Nes and Snes. I won't buy the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm down for Nes and Snes. I won't buy the others.

And you don't need to :shobon: Emulators are totally acceptable.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Has anyone had any issues with their Joycons wearing out? I was playing Smash today with the Joycon horizontally, but I was having trouble dashing to the right, and my character would end up in a walk

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

Has anyone had any issues with their Joycons wearing out? I was playing Smash today with the Joycon horizontally, but I was having trouble dashing to the right, and my character would end up in a walk

Yes. They’re known to drift after a while due to hardware issues under the stick. Nintendo will fix it for free so give them a call.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. They’re known to drift after a while due to hardware issues under the stick. Nintendo will fix it for free so give them a call.

If I do send them in to get them repaired, is it an actual permanent solution, or will it eventually happen again down the road?

I'm thinking about getting a Pro controller so I won't have to worry about my Joycons eventually drifting

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

This is a well known issue that Nintendo is aware of and they are offering free repairs on it, even outside of warranty now. The build quality of the joycon controllers is really bad. The failure rate on these controllers is Xbox 360 ring of death levels of high.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

If I do send them in to get them repaired, is it an actual permanent solution, or will it eventually happen again down the road?

I'm thinking about getting a Pro controller so I won't have to worry about my Joycons eventually drifting

No one can really say yet. There apparently is some build difference between ones included with the new systems but they haven’t been out long enough to know.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And you don't need to :shobon: Emulators are totally acceptable.

I appreciate it but I probably wouldn't go to those lengths. I only have fond memories of SNES games and NES if only cause it's Nintendo. You may get me to rush a purchase of Final Fantasy 7 through 10, or break out my SNES Classic, but otherwise I'd only play if the game is accessible via Nintendo-flix or Virtual Console on the 3DS. I'd like to follow along though either way. I do keep up with the Gameboy thread, even if I don't comment or play the games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It must have been wild to be alive and go from NES to SNES. Like... games actually finally being good.

I was in hospital when I was really young and they had a SNES. Donkey Kong Country was the best looking game I'd ever seen!

Playing SNESflix with an 8bitDo SN30 Pro is so good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It must have been wild to be alive and go from NES to SNES. Like... games actually finally being good.

nes games were good, when you didn't have a metric of good games to measure them against

incidentally as a kid i couldn't really tell the difference and didn't appreciate the intricacies until i was way older

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is anyone else interested in Indivisible, I guess it comes out in 2 days?
I am pretty curious about it since I liked Valkyrie Profile back in the day and it has a soundtrack by Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana etc.)
But I don't know much about Skullgirls or if the developer has a good track record. And of course wasn't planning on buying anything else this month until Link's Awakening and DQ 11 come out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Is anyone else interested in Indivisible, I guess it comes out in 2 days?
I am pretty curious about it since I liked Valkyrie Profile back in the day and it has a soundtrack by Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana etc.)
But I don't know much about Skullgirls or if the developer has a good track record. And of course wasn't planning on buying anything else this month until Link's Awakening and DQ 11 come out.

It comes out October, not September.

That said, it's hard to get a 100% feel for it. There's a lot of potential positivity around it and it looks amazing but this is their first RPG and we can't really say how well that'll pan out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

They were good in the NES days.

Like Super Mario World was cool and all, but Super Mario Bros. 3 was still the better game to me in them days. LttP was better than Zelda 1, but that leap in gameplay and QoL was huge and it wasn't like I threw away Zelda 1. Kirby's Adventure came out well into the SNES era and was great.

Now Atari 2600 to NES, that's a real jump.

EDIT: And the Sega Genesis was out in '89, and when the SNES was out two years later in the US, it was really bad form to have games like Gradius III and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts run at a choppy slog compared to the many shmups and arcade platformers the Genesis had.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 8, 2019

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

People also tend to act like the 20 or so best games of the 16 bit era were representative, when in reality there was a ton of middling poo poo that wasn't much of an improvement from 8 bit games. Like, even in the 20 SNES games they just released, about half are timeless classics and the other half are totally forgettable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

People also tend to act like the 20 or so best games of the 16 bit era were representative, when in reality there was a ton of middling poo poo that wasn't much of an improvement from 8 bit games. Like, even in the 20 SNES games they just released, about half are timeless classics and the other half are totally forgettable.

Yeah, but the SNES at least has ten timeless classics.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Back in the rental days I felt like the SNES games I picked were largely more of a crapshoot in terms of quality than even the NES games were. NES games tended to at least be entertainingly bad, or at least often had cool music, but a bad SNES game was often just unbearable. It could be I was just the right age when the SNES came around that I could appreciate that games could be bad, since the NES could do no wrong in my 5 year old eyes.

Speaking of SNES games though, they had better release Legend of the Mystical Ninja soon. I love that game and I want to co-op it with some goons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want Tetris Attack

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, but the SNES at least has ten timeless classics.

Super Mario Bros 1-3
Contra and Super C
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 1-6
Kirby's Adventure
River City Ransom
TMNT The Arcade Game
Castlevania 1 and 3
Crystalis
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Punch-Out
Batman
Blaster Master
Vice: Project Doom (this game owns and it just came out on Switch)
KickMaster
Pretty much any of the Disney stuff

And that's not even digging especially deep. All of those games are playable and fun today

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's cool that Demon's Crest is on there, considering that I've never played it and that at one point, it sold negative copies.

I hope they release the Super Bomerman games for the SNES Online. I'd love to play online multiplayer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I owned two copies of Demon's Crest at one point :madmax:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I played and loved the Game Boy one but I don't know if I've ever played the SNES one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

American McGay posted:

I played and loved the Game Boy one but I don't know if I've ever played the SNES one.

Friend, boot up your Nintendo Switch console and strap in

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wonder if Nintendo will ever realize that nobody likes Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, and Wrecking Crew.

Edit - I think games like those and freaking Solomon's Key is what gives people such a negative view of the NES because they for some reason keep bringing them back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I was still pretty young but it was a pretty big thing. The one that totally blew me away was going from SNES to N64. Not just the 3D graphics but the analogue joystick control was insane at the time. You control his direction AND speed?!

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The 8bitdo N30 pro is perfect for snesflix. My one gripe so far is that I can't use it while charging. Other than that it's taken me right back to being 10 years old again.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Solar Tornado posted:

These will go great for my church. I'm Eevee-ngelic

ayyyyyyye

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Roth posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever realize that nobody likes Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, and Wrecking Crew.

Edit - I think games like those and freaking Solomon's Key is what gives people such a negative view of the NES because they for some reason keep bringing them back.

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters on GB is fuckin great, and Solomon's Key and its sequel Fire 'n Ice are great puzzle games. Fire 'n Ice is one of the best games on the system imo

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Roth posted:

Yeah most of the black box games haven't held up at all (or weren't very good to begin with), but they're mostly first party so Nintendo always trots them out. I think that's a big part of why people don't look upon NES games too kindly now--half of any collection of games from that era that Nintendo puts out themselves is taken up by poo poo like Baseball or Urban Champion and they don't bother or are unable to get the rights to stuff from Konami or Capcom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Heath posted:

Super Mario Bros 1-3
Contra and Super C
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 1-6
Kirby's Adventure
River City Ransom
TMNT The Arcade Game
Castlevania 1 and 3
Crystalis
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Punch-Out
Batman
Blaster Master
Vice: Project Doom (this game owns and it just came out on Switch)
KickMaster
Pretty much any of the Disney stuff

And that's not even digging especially deep. All of those games are playable and fun today
Guardian Legend was hella good but seems to have kind of fallen off of the radar of everything.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

No one can really say yet. There apparently is some build difference between ones included with the new systems but they haven’t been out long enough to know.

On second thought, I'm wondering if it is drifting. Isn't that when the Joycons register input even when you're not touching them? I've tested some other games and haven't noticed any problems on them

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Willo567 posted:

On second thought, I'm wondering if it is drifting. Isn't that when the Joycons register input even when you're not touching them? I've tested some other games and haven't noticed any problems on them

early drift imo, maybe.

I was wondering the same thing when mine were going through that stage after I’d somehow managed to avoid drifting etc, but it came on fast once some certain amount of wear happened. iffy controls for awhile until enough of the conductive crud or whatever on the stick’s pcb is gumming around and then now my controller gets the honest drift (mainly the up direction eg moving characters forward in third games)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

First of May posted:

The 8bitdo N30 pro is perfect for snesflix. My one gripe so far is that I can't use it while charging.

You mean the controller? I literally just used it as it was charging.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Drift just means the centre of the analogue stick is moving off from where the system thinks it is. That can result in any number of control issues, depending on the game. Character moving when they shouldn't, not moving when they should, going in a slightly wrong direction, too slow, etc. Some games have a big enough dead zone in the centre that it doesn't even make a noticeable difference

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish there was a setting to swap R and L with ZR and ZL. They're just a lot more comfortable to rest my fingers on

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

First of May posted:

The 8bitdo N30 pro is perfect for snesflix. My one gripe so far is that I can't use it while charging. Other than that it's taken me right back to being 10 years old again.

Plug it in after it's been synced. Sync it wirelessly, plug it in, it should play just fine while charging. If it crashes the game or stops responding, update your controller firmware and try again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I wish there was a setting to swap R and L with ZR and ZL. They're just a lot more comfortable to rest my fingers on

:same:

Also man Kirbys DreamCourse online is a drat hoot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a goon channel for Dream Course?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Which one one of the N30 pros would be the best? I see that one has concave buttons and one doesn’t?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Heath posted:

Is there a goon channel for Dream Course?

There needs to be, I just had the funniest time playing the sun/moon course with my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MarcusSA posted:

Which one one of the N30 pros would be the best? I see that one has concave buttons and one doesn’t?

The American style purple and lavender buttons are like the real American SNES controller and X and Y are concave. The other one has the all four rounded Japan/European style buttons. I picked up the American style one for that reason.