Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still say A Machine For Pigs was the worst for that trope, literally in the opening narration I had understood 90% of the stupid goddamn plot and it turns out the rest was pretty uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Same here, I liked Blooper Teams other games so far. This just sounds so cliche and predictable.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Danaru posted:

I still say A Machine For Pigs was the worst for that trope, literally in the opening narration I had understood 90% of the stupid goddamn plot and it turns out the rest was pretty uninteresting

Aw I forgot that game existed. What a let-down that was.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

fwiw what I talked about is left ~~ambiguous~~ considering the (Blair Witch franchise spoilers I guess?) time loop nature of the game's plot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I keep thinking about how good The Suffering is and how the canon ending you’re wracked with survivor’s guilt which I can’t think of another horror game bothering with.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's not pure horror but if you like Twin Peaks/X-Files you should be playing Control yesterday.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

The final monologue on the escalator was pretty good, at least.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Still thinking about how perfect the twist of I Am Legend is and it came out 65 years ago. The original "you are the demons" ending and still unmatched.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

I keep thinking about how good The Suffering is and how the canon ending you’re wracked with survivor’s guilt which I can’t think of another horror game bothering with.

There's American McGee's Alice, Lone Survivor, Rule of Rose, and the Fatal Frame series touches on survivor's guilt a lot too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Crimson Butterfly in particular is a game that is basically designed entirely around it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

You're not alone in that, I can tell you this. It was interesting when it was fresh and new, but now it's just an expected cliché, which really robs it of any meaningful impact it could have before you even start playing the game.

Blame Poe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, I think I'd rather blame lovely indie horror games. Poe was already around for a long time back when horror games were still good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Edgar Allen Poe’s Don’t poo poo Your Pants

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quoth the raven - itch.io!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Anyone play Fade to Silence? It's half-off on steam right now, is it any good?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Anyone got any recommendations for 3ds/ds horror titles? Going to be in a situation were portables going to my only entertainment for a bit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh, the DS port of RE1?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for 3ds/ds horror titles? Going to be in a situation were portables going to my only entertainment for a bit
You can get Resident Evil 1 ported to the DS these days, goes by Deadly Silence. Nanashi No Game is also supposed to be good. Stay away from the Dementium games, they are complete garbage.

Otherwise I can't think of much. The DS just isn't really a very strong platform for horror, I'm afraid.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Skyscraper posted:

I gave up after a few hours of absolute misery: it's a lot like the Long Dark, with more obtuse and obscure mechanics and "survival" mechanics that feel like chores.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What was that DS adventure game where you played as a women and every time you investigated anything there was a good chance something sharp and pointy would stab you. I think it had a famously bad translation or I might be getting it mixed up with something similar.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Skyscraper posted:

gently caress no.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

What was that DS adventure game where you played as a women and every time you investigated anything there was a good chance something sharp and pointy would stab you. I think it had a famously bad translation or I might be getting it mixed up with something similar.

I want to say it's name was a person name. Claire or something like that?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Theresia?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes!

I think Lux Pain was the one I was thinking of with the bad translation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked the first Corpse Party, it’s probably on that platform.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes, it actually came out for 3DS a while ago. Corpse Party is pretty spooky. Looks like an RPGMaker game, though. Fair warning.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hunting down Resident Evil Deadly Silence and Corpse Party right now. Seems the No Name Game never got an English release and I'm am idiot who doesn't know how to mod a gameboy so oll have to pass for now. Thanks!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nanashi no Game plays fine on a DS flashcart, if you can hunt one of those down. I used an R4, but I don't know what they best is these days. They generally aren't terribly expensive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, it actually came out for 3DS a while ago. Corpse Party is pretty spooky. Looks like an RPGMaker game, though. Fair warning.

It originally was, one of the first.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GUI posted:

I finished it just now (must've taken around 4 hours) and it was all right. Plenty of weird glitches - I resumed my save and couldn't choose my walkie talkie, inventory or cellphone. At some point I wasn't able to sprint and it fixed itself after a while - it wasn't scripted either. At the end of the game I started getting stuck between every doorway and the only "fix" that didn't involve going back to the main menu to lose nearly an hour of progress was crouching between doors. At another point I clipped through the ceiling then after managing to get unstuck I clipped through a wall and was forced to quit back to the main menu and reload, though thankfully that autosave (manual saves are just the autosave but in a permanent save slot) was only a minute back.
The first three hours are pretty standard Spooky Woods that's been done to death in the last decade, while the final hour is Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion + PT. Most of it is straight-forward enough but there's one or two annoying trial and error areas. Plot itself is pretty predictable as is the case with this type of game, though there's some neat surreal moments and multiple endings even if most of them are just lines of text. Nothing about it is offensive and I'm glad Bloober Team is still getting work since they're a small studio, but it's the kind of game you check if you really like the Blair Witch franchise or want to play another somewhat decent horror game.

I know there were a lot of bugs at the start like mainly getting stuck in terrain which I did encounter but after the patch I didn't get any bugs. I actually preferred the generic woods part than the house from blair witch part because that whole sequence lasted way way too long. Like all the flashbacks shown in the house were shown to you previously in the woods so I don't know why they had to keep hammering the mc's previous traumas. There was nothing scary happening the house, other than the look at the floor to walkaround so you don't look at the scary thing which was clever I guess but we've seen other horror games also use that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i couldnt get into corpse party constantly destroying its own tone with horrifying anime jokes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd like to see a horror game where you being a horrible person isn't the twist but actually a game mechanic.

Like you're robbing and killing innocent people and you gain money or XP or whatever from it but it also means you have to deal with more supernatural ghouls so it increases the risk but can also be very rewarding.

Do you shank the little old lady so you can steal her vast fortune of checks and risk bringing the wrath of the skineater upon you or do you let her go and maybe not be able to afford that cool upgrade down the line?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GulagDolls posted:

i couldnt get into corpse party constantly destroying its own tone with horrifying anime jokes

'this dark, oppressive atmosphere is slowly killing our-'
'timr to rub lotion on my butt! Oh boy!'

Horror titles on the DS: Resident Evil Revelations was on the 3ds. Was really good, too. Also, Dementium 2 was a fps psychological horror title for the original DS. Not great though.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 8, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm about halfway (?) through Blair Witch now and i'm enjoying it. I'm at the sawmill. It's got that sort of janky charm to it that I love in video games, so it's doing a lot to smooth over the problems. Also you can literally just ask the dog what to do if you're lost, which is nice.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Corpse Party is a really good setting (I love closed space horror where you have to try to figure out the rules of this world) and was overall pretty good until I read an interview where the creator admits the 7 year old girl pisses herself repeatedly because that's what he's into. I really hate Corpse Party now

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
:stonk:

Jesus christ.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Let us not ever mention Corpse Party in this thread again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Agreed. Wtf

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corpse party is the one where everyone dies and it's all horrible, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

corpse party is the one where everyone dies and it's all horrible, right

that's life