Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

It may be because I played BE-E's route first and then BL, but the Golden Deer's route was kind of a letdown for me. It answers a lot of questions and the characters are very fun, but they lack the personal connection to the plot that the other two routes have. BL's has entire supports connected to their route's plot.

I think GD is necessary just to get a more detached perspective on how insane this conflict is. Everyone else is insanely personally invested and only has like a quarter of the story before going off to murder, GD is like "ok what the gently caress is actually going on here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yinlock posted:

(church route mission 3)

Ashe: I'm sorry professor, but I must do this as Lonato's son

Byleth: *hits him twice with a silver sword*

Ashe: okay poo poo on second thought lonato wasn't that great let me join you

i am a very persuasive speaker

He's sad for like three whole months after this though :smith:

Yinlock posted:

I think GD is necessary just to get a more detached perspective on how insane this conflict is. Everyone else is insanely personally invested and only has like a quarter of the story before going off to murder, GD is like "ok what the gently caress is actually going on here"

Would recommend GD as a first run to anyone. The other routes have such crazy amounts of character moments and Dimitri's whole thing that GD will always feel like a bit of an anticlimax, but as a first run it's amazing. Even the big moments that are downsized flame emperor are still big moments. I love the band of misfits and Claude is just such a fun character compared to the other two. I'm extremely golden deer.

e: BL seems like the real one though. All the early missions are about BL kids and Dimitri's connection to the main plot is intense. I haven't seen all of it but p sure it must be the intended one. Also it's apparently the most popular one in Japan. Funny how it's least popular here.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 7, 2019

Prowler
May 24, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Would recommend GD as a first run to anyone. The other routes have such crazy amounts of character moments and Dimitri's whole thing that GD will always feel like a bit of an anticlimax, but as a first run it's amazing. Even the big moments that are downsized flame emperor are still big moments. I love the band of misfits and Claude is just such a fun character compared to the other two. I'm extremely golden deer.

Agreed. I ran through Church first and felt like there was no strong secondary character to carry Byleth. Seteth playing a more prominent role was definitely not my preference, although I did start using him simply because he was damned strong.

Claude and Petra wound up together in my playthrough, which works really well from a story perspective (and fits his motivations/aspirations).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dimitri using one of Sylvain's pick up lines and failing tremendously is hilarious

the tight knit structure of the Lions really works for me, it's actually turning out to be my favorite so far

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Prowler posted:

Claude and Petra wound up together in my playthrough, which works really well from a story perspective (and fits his motivations/aspirations).

Ah that's a good one, my Claude ended up with Leonie which I wasn't expecting, I thought she would end up with Ignatz. The card was great though, she just disappears from her village and when he does a state visit she's at his side. Woulda married her if I could, it's a crime that she's straight tbh

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carlosologist posted:

Dimitri using one of Sylvain's pick up lines and failing tremendously is hilarious

the tight knit structure of the Lions really works for me, it's actually turning out to be my favorite so far

"did you give her a loving knife again, come on"

"no!! just help me"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love that my Petra has like 130 avoid and cannot be hit by anything ever, but she INSISTS on leveling up Mag. instead of Str. and her offensive power is starting to lack

Please, Petra, you do not need to keep them equally high. I know having like 22 Str at level 33 isn't that far off from your growths, but WHY do you also need 22 Mag, you're not gonna use it. Please, put those stat ups into strength instead

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I love that my Petra has like 130 avoid and cannot be hit by anything ever, but she INSISTS on leveling up Mag. instead of Str. and her offensive power is starting to lack

Please, Petra, you do not need to keep them equally high. I know having like 22 Str at level 33 isn't that far off from your growths, but WHY do you also need 22 Mag, you're not gonna use it. Please, put those stat ups into strength instead

Throw her a Levin Sword then.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HenryEx posted:

Levin Sword+ baybee

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was thinking about all the variability they accounted for in the writing what with the four routes and having supports impact the story and vice versa and then the dozens of paired endings for each route and remember when people defended the mass effect 3 ending

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

was thinking about all the variability they accounted for in the writing what with the four routes and having supports impact the story and vice versa and then the dozens of paired endings for each route and remember when people defended the mass effect 3 ending

This is what the reviews should actually talk about, but instead they just play one route and give it a 9/10.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So, I'm playing on hard/casual and having a lot of fun but this is the first Fire Emblem game that I've really played any meaningful amount out of time. I'm sure in the beginning your school choices don't matter that much but I'm concerned that I'm going to ruin my characters by not picking the optimal ones down the road. trying to find some guidance on what skills to focus on and what classes to pick for each character that's not been successful, I just keep finding tons of guides and how to level up the skills you want to focus on, not what skills and classes to make specific characters.

Can anyone offer any guidance on what classes and skills to focus on for the black eagles or link to an actually useful guide on the issue?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Diogines posted:

So, I'm playing on hard/casual and having a lot of fun but this is the first Fire Emblem game that I've really played any meaningful amount out of time. I'm sure in the beginning your school choices don't matter that much but I'm concerned that I'm going to ruin my characters by not picking the optimal ones down the road. trying to find some guidance on what skills to focus on and what classes to pick for each character that's not been successful, I just keep finding tons of guides and how to level up the skills you want to focus on, not what skills and classes to make specific characters.

Can anyone offer any guidance on what classes and skills to focus on for the black eagles or link to an actually useful guide on the issue?

I had the same anxiety about the skills and in the end following their default goals (and the goals they suggest after their classes, unless it's Sylvain wanting to be a mage) is perfectly fine. It's really hard to screw up your characters even in hard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I made Bernadetta a Pegasus Knight and it’s been like playing a man down the whole game so far lol.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Kiranamos posted:

This is what the reviews should actually talk about, but instead they just play one route and give it a 9/10.

I didn’t play Mass Effect so please explain? I remember people hating the ending of Mass Effect 3 but that’s it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Diogines posted:

Going by what they're good at usually works well, though you may need some time looking at advanced and master classes to get a sense of what the paths are. Case in point:

fadam posted:

I made Bernadetta a Pegasus Knight and it’s been like playing a man down the whole game so far lol.

Bernie is good at bows, lances, and has an unlockable talent in horses (you can see it on her status, that multi-tab thing, or when teaching).
She starts with a bow, so if you go along with it, you'll go
archer -> sniper -> bowknight, where the first few requires only bows, and the last wants a bit of lances, and also riding.
This is perhaps not the most optimal/min-maxy thing (but that's hard to do when not on NG+), and it generally works reasonably well,
with the sniper exam helping if some of her stats lag behind too badly.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

his comment was unrelated to the mass effect part. that was a whole thing where they marketed the entire franchise on the idea that your decisions change things, even down to the name, so they tracked all these variables across three games and then it all basically came down to picking one of three endings which all had the effect of wiping out every choice you made because they couldnt be bothered to write anything more

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

This is what I have so far:

Edelgard - Default, axe and authority.

Hubert - Default, reason and authority. I feel like I should swap out authority for something else but I have no idea watch. He does have some sort of secret skill for lance? Maybe Faith, so he can be a secondary healer?

Ferdinand the Man(I think maybe my favorite character so far) - Lance, which he has by default and heavy armor. I figured heavy armor would be more useful then having a second weapon still, as he had axes by default and he has some kind of secret unlock for heavy armor.

Linhardt - Default, reason and Faith. Since she is a healer and offensive caster this one seemed easy to just leave on default.

Casper - Default, Axe and brawler, but gently caress if I know what to do with him. At least at the outset pauler seems useless, he has no secret skills a paradigm skill list and his stats seem bad. Maybe swap out brawler for bow?

Bernadetta - Default, Lance and bow because I likewise have no idea what to do with her. Based on the post above, I should certainly not make her a pegasus night, but what about a regular mounted combat unit? She does have a secret skill for riding.

Dorothea - faith and reason. She has a secret skill for faith and she has combat magic, seems a good choice, though this seems entirely secondary to her primary purpose which is to be a stationary healing AOE healing drone.

Petra - Default, sword and axe. She has no unlocks so I just left it on the default. Since she has a bonus for bow it seems like a good choice, I think I should probably drop axe for it?

Any criticism, changes or tweaks are extremely welcome.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 8, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Im doing Blue Lions next and everyone's being what they're bad at. Felix is my healer. Mercedes is frontline axe. Annie has a lance. Sylvain gets to fly. Dark Mage Ingrid. Ashe... well, anything would fit if we're honest here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wait

Dimitri and Edelgard are stepbrother and sister? I guess we can never stray too far from the Kaga roots

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Sylvain makes a good Wyvern knight though

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

Hubert - Default, reason and authority. I feel like I should swap out authority for something else but I have no idea watch. He does have some sort of secret skill for lance? Maybe Faith, so he can be a secondary healer?

Ferdinand the Man(I think maybe my favorite character so far) - Lance, which he has by default and heavy armor. I figured heavy armor would be more useful then having a second weapon still, as he had acts by default and he has some kind of secret unlock for heavy armor.

Linhardt - Default, reason and Faith. Since she is a healer and inoffensive caster this one seemed easy to just leave on default.

Casper - Default, Axe and brawler, but gently caress if I know what to do with him. At least at the outset pauler seems useless, he has no secret skills a paradigm skill list and his stats seem bad. Maybe swap out brawler for bow?

Bernadetta - Default, Lance and bow because I likewise have no idea what to do with her. Based on the post above, I should certainly not make her a pegasus night, but what about a regular mounted combat unit? She does have a secret skill for riding.

Dorothea - faith and reason. She has a secret skill for faith and she has combat magic, seems a good choice, though this seems entirely secondary to her primary purpose which is to be a stationary healing AOE healing drone.

Petra - Default, sword and axe. She has no unlocks so I just left it on the default. Since she has a bonus for bow it seems like a good choice, I think I should probably drop axe for it?

I'm in the same position on NG+. Hubert's only ever going to be worthwhile as a mage so I just have him studying reason alone. Ferdie can use riding to great effect later, strong physical attacker for now. Linhardt has surprised me wrecking poo poo as an offensive mage so maybe getting his reason up is worthwhile. Dorothea same. Bernie's a sniper born and bred, but get her riding up because she's a great bow knight very later. You don't have anyone else with bows so getting Petra involved isn't a bad idea, but her strength is up close and dodging everything for most of the game. Caspar is a nice guy but useless

Am I wrong

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Carlosologist posted:

wait

Dimitri and Edelgard are stepbrother and sister? I guess we can never stray too far from the Kaga roots

Yup, not by blood though, so as we established in Fates, that means it's perfectly okay to-- oh right.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Diogines posted:

Ferdinand the Man(I think maybe my favorite character so far) - Lance, which he has by default and heavy armor. I figured heavy armor would be more useful then having a second weapon still, as he had acts by default and he has some kind of secret unlock for heavy armor.

Linhardt - Default, reason and Faith. Since she is a healer and inoffensive caster this one seemed easy to just leave on default.

Defaults are fine most of the time, just make sure you're checking the skill requirements for advanced classes to make sure you can actually get your characters into them when the time comes. And yes, training Hubert's faith up to D for the healing utility is an extremely worthwhile investment.

Also Linhardt is a dude :ssh:

E: In case you weren't aware and since you mentioned them, do note that you have to use one on one instruction sessions to unlock hidden talents. Just setting it as one of the character's goals won't get you anywhere.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 8, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

we'll know kaga's back when the dlc lets them marry

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

e: BL seems like the real one though. All the early missions are about BL kids and Dimitri's connection to the main plot is intense. I haven't seen all of it but p sure it must be the intended one. Also it's apparently the most popular one in Japan. Funny how it's least popular here.

Since we don't know entirely why Edelgard is more popular here I'm going to give the edge to horny lesbians. :colbert:

For skills I'd just suggest getting riding for Ferdie, and bows for Petra so he can be your paladin and she can be the assassin she was born to be.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cattail Prophet posted:

The most beautiful dude :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ashe... well, anything would fit if we're honest here.
You could just NOT use Ashe to, like.... open... chests?
But then why bring him at all.

Diogines posted:

Black Eagles
Edelgard is fine on Axes and Authority, with a side smattering of Armor. Mostly for the -Weight skill. Don't make her an armored knight, she gets a unique class later that's basically a better armored knight, for free.

Hubert is just fine at the start with being pure magic caster. Maybe give him a bit of Faith on the side, having a heal or some Nosferatu to recover some HP is never bad when you're a spellcaster anyways. He really wants to be a Dark Knight later on, which takes some modest skills in Lance (hence his budding talent) and Riding. Some people have a hate-boner for any class on a mount, but he's only gonna be riding from level 30 onwards, which means he has like 5 levels left to suffer the speed penalty and has more than enough speed at that point anyways, so i say go for it. He wants to move fast for Lady Edelgard.

Ferdinand wants to be a Paladin or w/e the armored, mounted lance class is. Again, some people hate horses with a passion, but Ferdinand can deal, i think. He seems to turn out so well that he can just pocket the speed penalty on horses, and on Edelgard's route you seem to get a lot of good lances. He sorta wants to be a holy knight (light spellcaster on a horse) but offensilve light magic isn't that good so i went with armored horse dude, going all in on lance/armor/riding.

Linhardt... I dunno. He's good as a healer, he has long range heals and teleport (i think), but his growths were bad for me, and he doesn#t really have a lv30 class he wants to be, so i left him as a Bishop. He doesn't like being on the battlefield anyways, so do him a favor and leave him at home?

Caspar seems to start out bad, but somehow gets good later? Go in on axes on him, later on he can get one of the best master classes, the Warmaster, with an A in Axes and Fists. So go axes for offense mainly, but don't entirely neglect his fisticuffs. Or go all in on fists, if you want, but i went with axe personally. Give him a +hit ring or something, what's what i did to make him usable in the middle of the game. A little bit of armor training to C can also help with his speed problems.

Bernadetta wants to be a mounted archer. The first few levels she'll be fine as a plain old archer, but consider mastering the Brigand class with her and try to trigger her personal skill for a whopping +11 damage when she attacks. At level 30+, put her on a horse with +2 bow range, send her in, snipe some fool, and watch her ride out of danger again.

Dorothea is Faith & Reason, yeah. Just level those two, and you can't really do anything wrong. Faith is a little slow to start, but when you get 3 stars on that, it'll boost all skill gains from then on.

Petra is a good swordmaster / assassin (assassin needs sword & bow). I personally invested into some Flying lessons on her and made her a thief (until mastered, for Steal) @ lv10 for some speed growth, assassin at lv20 for even more speed, and falcon knight @ lv30 for highly mobile flying unit with like 40 Spd at lv 34 and extremely high evasion. Pegasus/falcon knight wants to use lances, but even with swords, she's very deadly with a nigh-unhittable evasion rate and a high crit chance on swords.

Pastrymancy posted:

Sylvain makes a good Wyvern knight though

Yeah, this

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 8, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Petra could probably be really good in anything, I'm currently training her up as a Warrior

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Fly everyone on wyverns. Even the casters. Especially the casters.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HenryEx posted:

You could just NOT use Ashe to, like.... open... chests?
But then why bring him at all.

Because he is made of kindness, mostly. What a sweetie. Also I used him in my GD run as a sniper until Bernie massively overtook him. He's lance and axe on my current BE run (because I couldn't bear the thought of eventually killing him) and is entirely lacklustre. Maybe he'll pick up. I don't know why he comes with axes and has lance as a hidden talent when he is so not meant to be up and personal. He does okay with hand axes so far and he'll fly eventually.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

McTimmy posted:

Fly everyone on wyverns. Even the casters. Especially the casters.

Next time I have Linhardt on my roster I am absolutely putting him on a wyvern. He will be Linhaardt.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Diogines posted:

Ferdinand the Man(I think maybe my favorite character so far) - Lance, which he has by default and heavy armor. I figured heavy armor would be more useful then having a second weapon still, as he had axes by default and he has some kind of secret unlock for heavy armor.

Petra is great as either assassin (sword + bow) or wyvern (axe + flying).
You do not want Bernie as a melee rider, but rather as a bowknight --- the game doesn't show this (sigh), but she has crap defense but great accuracy growths.

Caspar's axe + gauntlets leads naturally to warmaster, and you can go there either via axes or gauntlets-using classes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Only downside to War Master is the outfit is kinda lame. But that's entirely subjective.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

I appreciate that this fantasy medieval monastery is progressive enough to allow their students to dress as the gender they feel that they are inside, I will make sure to use the correct pronouns when discussing her, damnit, I mean him in the future.

Also, thank you to everyone who gave input on goals and such, it has been very helpful.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Diogines posted:

For me, I built them mostly towards a Master Class, and once they had learnt enough of their movement class to unlock said Master Class switching that to Authority, so went as follows
Edel (Wyvern Lord/Emperor): Axe+Flying to get Wyvern Rider+Wyvern Lord. Was mostly on Flying Group duty with Petra
Hubert (Dark Knight): Reason+Cav, with personal tutoring to unlock his Lance skill and then get it up to C for eventual Dark Knight
Ferdinand (Great Knight): Axe+Riding, with with personal tutoring to unlock his Armor skill
Linhardt (Holy Knight): Faith+Cav, with personal tutoring getting his Lance skill up to C
Caspar (War Master): Just kept him with Fists and Axes
Bernadetta (Bow Knight): Bow+Lance up till C, with personal tutoring to unlock Cav skill and then once Lance hits C switch that to Cav
Dorothea (Gremory): Faith+Reason to learn all the spells
Petra (Falcon Knight): Lance+Flying, along with Flying Group duty.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

I appreciate that this fantasy medieval monastery is progressive enough to allow their students to dress as the gender they feel that they are inside, I will make sure to use the correct pronouns when discussing her, damnit, I mean him in the future.

This is tasteless.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

They have long hair, somewhat feminine facial features and start off with healing magic(which tends to be a skill given to female characters in these kinds of games) so my confusion is not exactly shocking. The joke was about my misunderstanding and nothing else.

I have one more question. How do I actually give gifts? Is it some hidden option in the menus, do I need to go to the person and do something in front of them? Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 8, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
*thinks back to the designated white mage healer in his first Fire Emblem game, Lucius*

Look, i could understand mistaking my buddy Lucius for a girl, but
A. Lindhardt's hair is like a 2 on the feminine scale and
B. everyone has voice acting, unlike back in the GBA days

(and C. they love to pull this male healer trick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

They have long hair, somewhat feminine facial features and start off with healing magic(which tends to be a skill given to female characters in these kinds of games) so my confusion is not exactly shocking. The joke was about my misunderstanding and nothing else.

It's still horrible that your first thought was to make a pronouns gag, my friend, even if you hadn't had enough time to actually speak to Linhardt and hear his voice.