Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OMFG Hypothesizzle is such a good card name wasted on a bad common

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All you gotta say is you can cast Dive Down after declaring how damage is assigned but before damage is dealt. Dive Down cannot be cast in response to damage.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

OMFG Hypothosizzle is such a good card name wasted on a bad common

Hypothesizzle is a good common actually :colbert:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eej posted:

All you gotta say is you can cast Dive Down after declaring how damage is assigned but before damage is dealt. Dive Down cannot be cast in response to damage.

No you can't? You can cast Dive Down after blocking order is chosen, but assigning damage happens at the same time it's actually dealt with no room to respond in between.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Lol are you okay?

I thought I kept up with this poo poo but it turns out it's been mostly on limited removal with one decent card, and now I've made a fool of myself in public!!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

Hypothesizzle is a good common actually :colbert:

It's so good that it's in a standard legal set and I has never even heard of it til that post

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Do you even draft, bro?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's so good that it's in a standard legal set and I has never even heard of it til that post

Sounds like someone never drafted grn

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

Sounds like someone never drafted grn

That's fair, I drafted RNA like a fiend tho

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I thought I kept up with this poo poo but it turns out it's been mostly on limited removal with one decent card, and now I've made a fool of myself in public!!

The specific wording/rule was apparently introduced in Amonkhet for the exert cards, which might be why you don't remember it, it's been a while. Also all of the Gotcha cards got errata'd to use it, for some reason? Oh yeah and it's also on Sorin, that's probably the place you would have seen it the most recently.

And the card hasn't been officially spoiled, but Maro confirmed that Will and Rowan share a card on the announcement stream the other day. So either it's the best fake ever (with new art and a picture that isn't blurry as hell) whose maker made an improbably good guess or someone just took a picture of a real card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tulul posted:

The specific wording/rule was apparently introduced in Amonkhet for the exert cards, which might be why you don't remember it, it's been a while. Also all of the Gotcha cards got errata'd to use it, for some reason? Oh yeah and it's also on Sorin, that's probably the place you would have seen it the most recently.

And the card hasn't been officially spoiled, but Maro confirmed that Will and Rowan share a card on the announcement stream the other day. So either it's the best fake ever (with new art and a picture that isn't blurry as hell) whose maker made an improbably good guess or someone just took a picture of a real card.

They showed The Royal Scions. It's a real card.

E: Maybe I'm high, I went through the announcement video and yeah, they just said they share a card.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It is extremely good in GRN limited, but yeah waste of a card name.

Personally I'm still waiting on that Prophetic Bolt reprint.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jabor posted:

No you can't? You can cast Dive Down after blocking order is chosen, but assigning damage happens at the same time it's actually dealt with no room to respond in between.

At comp REL you missed the chance to cast dive down when you indicated you were going to damage

Casual REL the judge would rewind and explain combat timing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I honestly think the stranger thing is that the 2nd ability can't happen without a creature on the battlefield...I think.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is this how it's supposed to happen? I'm bad at the rules:
1) Player A attacks with a 4/4 attacks
2) Player B blocks with 2 2/2s
3) Player A orders the blockers as "I'll hit creature 1, then 2" but doesn't assign damage yet
4) Player B gives +0/+3 to creature 1
5) Player A has to assign lethal damage to creature 1 (4 damage) before they can assign any to creature 2, so both creatures survive?

And 1 (declare attackers), 2 (declare blockers) and 5 (damage) are all combat steps which have a round of priority, but 3 (ordering blockers) is a part of the declare blockers step so there's no ability to cast spells between 2 and 3?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

I honestly think the stranger thing is that the 2nd ability can't happen without a creature on the battlefield...I think.

Good thing it has another +1 ability to activate instead.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

Is this how it's supposed to happen? I'm bad at the rules:
1) Player A attacks with a 4/4 attacks
2) Player B blocks with 2 2/2s
3) Player A orders the blockers as "I'll hit creature 1, then 2" but doesn't assign damage yet
4) Player B gives +0/+3 to creature 1
5) Player A has to assign lethal damage to creature 1 (4 damage) before they can assign any to creature 2, so both creatures survive?

And 1 (declare attackers), 2 (declare blockers) and 5 (damage) are all combat steps which have a round of priority, but 3 (ordering blockers) is a part of the declare blockers step so there's no ability to cast spells between 2 and 3?

this is all correct

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Deleted due to being wrong

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

There's no priority round in between ordering blockers and assigning damage. So step-by-step:

1) Player A declares attackers.
1a) Player A gets priority.
1b) Player B gets priority.
2) Player B declares blockers.
2a) Player A gets priority.
2b) Player B gets priority.
3) Player A declares the damage order for their attackers ("I will deal 2 damage to this one, and 2 damage to that one"). They have to assign lethal to one blocker before they can assign damage to any other blockers.
4) Player B does the same thing for their blockers.
5) First strike damage is resolved and all dealt simultaneously.
5a) Player A gets priority.
5b) Player B gets priority.
6) Regular damage is resolved for any creatures still alive, and all dealt simultaneously.
6a) Player A gets priority.
6b) Player B gets priority.
7) End of combat step.
7a) Player A gets priority.
7b) Player B gets priority.

In your above example, Player B would have to give that +0/+3 to a creature in step 2B, before Player A has assigned damage. So Player A could just choose to assign 2 damage to the 2/2 instead, and 2 damage to the 2/5.

This is wrong.

You do not assign damage numbers when you choose the blocking order. You just choose the order.

When assigning damage at the start of the combat damage step, you have to respect the order you chose, but you can assign the damage any way you like as long as that order is respected.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

There's no priority round in between ordering blockers and assigning damage. So step-by-step:

1) Player A declares attackers.
1a) Player A gets priority.
1b) Player B gets priority.
2) Player B declares blockers.
2a) Player A gets priority.
2b) Player B gets priority.
3) Player A declares the damage order for their attackers ("I will deal 2 damage to this one, and 2 damage to that one"). They have to assign lethal to one blocker before they can assign damage to any other blockers.
4) Player B does the same thing for their blockers.
5) First strike damage is resolved and all dealt simultaneously.
5a) Player A gets priority.
5b) Player B gets priority.
6) Regular damage is resolved for any creatures still alive, and all dealt simultaneously.
6a) Player A gets priority.
6b) Player B gets priority.
7) End of combat step.
7a) Player A gets priority.
7b) Player B gets priority.

In your above example, Player B would have to give that +0/+3 to a creature in step 2B, before Player A has assigned damage. So Player A could just choose to assign 2 damage to the 2/2 instead, and 2 damage to the 2/5.

(Reference: Comp Rules 510.2 "Second, all combat damage that’s been assigned is dealt simultaneously. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. No player has the chance to cast spells or activate abilities between the time combat damage is assigned and the time it’s dealt.")

The ordering of blocking creatures happens a step earlier in 509.3, though.

e:f;b

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Deleted

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Good point, updated my above comment to distinguish between blocking order and damage assignment.

It's still wrong. Your headline statement is inconsistent with your detailed outline, and neither of them are correct!

ilmucche's understanding was completely correct. Here it is again, broken out into steps with players getting priority added:

-- Declare Attackers step:
Player A attacks with a 4/4
Each player gets priority
-- Declare Blockers step:
Player B blocks with 2 2/2s
Player A orders the blockers as "I'll hit creature 1, then 2" but doesn't assign damage yet
Each player gets priority. Player B gives +0/+3 to creature 1.
-- Combat Damage step:
Player A has to assign lethal damage to creature 1 before they can assign any to creature 2, so they assign and deal 4 damage to creature 1 and both defenders survive.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

Good thing it has another +1 ability to activate instead.

But what if your hand is all good cards and you don’t want to discard any?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That's why you have to put enough bad cards in your deck.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol forever, when did Manamorphose spike? I thought reddit was joking. They were not. A playset is ~a Chalice.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Lol forever, when did Manamorphose spike? I thought reddit was joking. They were not. A playset is ~a Chalice.

Almost a year ago.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Shadowmoor/Manamorphose#paper

I’ve got some for cheap in the buy/sell thread if you are looking for them :).

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

With the rise of UR Phoenix?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Who confirmed it? Where? How? I can say Foegod, Master of Iron was confirmed to be real, but what's the source of that?

I mean, it's a real .jpg, not a phantom of a .jpg.

It hasn’t been officially previewed but in the pre-recorded video WOTC streamed on Wednesday MaRo said that Will and Rowan were going to be the first dual character planeswalker card and even named dropped “The Royal Scions”. The card was posted two or so hours before he stream.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about Wrenn and Six

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Wrenn and Six

Still just has “Wrenn” in the type line

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't think Six is a planeswalker. Just like, a tree mecha or whatever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Six is a number

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What about Wrenn and sex.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
We've spoken about this before. Do NOT gently caress the tree

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So we have around us a dude from legacy play group who started playing Standard with Bant Scapeshift, grinded it in arena to mythic while cursing aggro elemental decks, insists that it is the first time he has been interested in standard since the days of Psychatog, says that Wizards were idiots for banning Marvel and Copycat and that there have not been truly good combo decks in Standard since Urza's Saga.

...are all legacy players like that?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
No, some are just money laundering.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some still complain about the new card frame

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fatherboxx posted:

So we have around us a dude from legacy play group who started playing Standard with Bant Scapeshift, grinded it in arena to mythic while cursing aggro elemental decks, insists that it is the first time he has been interested in standard since the days of Psychatog, says that Wizards were idiots for banning Marvel and Copycat and that there have not been truly good combo decks in Standard since Urza's Saga.

...are all legacy players like that?

amazingly, some are worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the reason someone like that is infecting your playgroup is that since wrenn and six legacy is now like 90% fair incremental value delver decks with four colors