Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Private Speech posted:

I like this bit from the Guardian:

Big brain Cummings.

Dom my dude let me put this in terms you'll surely understand since you're such a fan of the Art of War and all: You think you're on dying ground, but you're actually on ground of dissolution.

e: The first year of the Yongjian era of the Han Dynasty was in 126 AD.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnsons-secret-brexit-plan-19856454

Interesting nuclear option, and the timing could work out as a nightmare because it’ll gently caress up the opposition nuclear option to prevent no deal. Hear me out.

If Johnson refuses to provide someone on the 18th October, it leaves 13 days until no deal hits.

The nuclear option on the opposition end is to no confidence the government and install a caretaker PM to go to Brussels and get the extension.

Under the FTPA, the no confidence motion gives two weeks to the government to reassert confidence so that another vote passes. That date would take us to November 1st, and it’s already too late at that point.

The timing is the massive fuckup here, and I can hardly see the meeting in Brussels getting moved ahead to avoid it.

Anyone know the veracity of the claims made in the article? As soon as it comes into EU territory I’m generally reliant on someone like junior g-man telling me what the score is, because even understanding the intricacies of our hosed up system of governance breaks my brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sanitary Naptime posted:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnsons-secret-brexit-plan-19856454

Interesting nuclear option, and the timing could work out as a nightmare because it’ll gently caress up the opposition nuclear option to prevent no deal. Hear me out.

If Johnson refuses to provide someone on the 18th October, it leaves 13 days until no deal hits.

The nuclear option on the opposition end is to no confidence the government and install a caretaker PM to go to Brussels and get the extension.

Under the FTPA, the no confidence motion gives two weeks to the government to reassert confidence so that another vote passes. That date would take us to November 1st, and it’s already too late at that point.

The timing is the massive fuckup here, and I can hardly see the meeting in Brussels getting moved ahead to avoid it.

Anyone know the veracity of the claims made in the article? As soon as it comes into EU territory I’m generally reliant on someone like junior g-man telling me what the score is, because even understanding the intricacies of our hosed up system of governance breaks my brain.

The government has 14 days to pass a vote of confidence before an election must be called, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect the formation of a new Parliament without an election if that becomes possible. As per section 6.2 of the FTPA:

"This Act does not affect the way in which the sealing of a proclamation summoning a new Parliament may be authorised".

Which I believe means that if within 14 days of a VONC Parliament votes to reconstitute itself under a new Prime Minister, it gets to do so.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Honestly that loving act is a piece of poo poo. I hate ol cleggers for a lot of things but that act is like number fuckin one on my list right now.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The EU is loving amazing at rules-lawyering so Boris trying to play that game seems unlikely to work. I strongly doubt the EU would throw out a member state literally on the day that they refuse to provide a commissioner, with no warning/sanctions/diplomacy whatsoever. Especially if they knew a general election was coming six weeks down the line. They'd find a way to carry on.

And besides, like Jedit says parliament could just VONC him and immediately declare confidence in Corbyn and boom, he's prime minister. Lab+LD+SNP now officially has one more MP than Con+DUP anyway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jabby posted:

The EU is loving amazing at rules-lawyering so Boris trying to play that game seems unlikely to work. I strongly doubt the EU would throw out a member state literally on the day that they refuse to provide a commissioner, with no warning/sanctions/diplomacy whatsoever. Especially if they knew a general election was coming six weeks down the line. They'd find a way to carry on.

The Treaty of Lisbon says that commissioners are selected by Council/Commission President "on the basis of the suggestions made by Member States", which seems like it should be easy to say "on the basis of no suggestion from the UK government we select Tony Blair", but is complicated by the fact that "on the basis" also appears in a lot of other places in the text where the EU might not want to change the meaning.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
In the last few days I've surprised myself by coming around to a sort of grudging respect for David Cameron. He's every bit as lizard brained and deserving of hatred as any Tory, but now we can see how much work he had to do to keep the mask from slipping.

During the Cameron years he projected a kind of deadening, robotic, corporate competence, which gave the Tories a patina of inevitability. They were raised to rule and they'd be there forever. Especially when you remember how completely hollowed out Labour were under Brown and Miliband. But now we see what an absolute loving clown car the whole organisation has been the entire time.

For me it was the "girly swot" thing and seeing Mogg lounging in parliament like some dissolute, Victorian dope fiend poet. They're children. They're completely stunted and mentally still at boarding school.

I mean gently caress Cameron forever of course, but at least he could do politics without vomiting all over himself.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

joedevola posted:

I mean gently caress Cameron forever of course, but at least he could do politics without vomiting all over himself.

He called for the loving referendum that put us in this poo poo and then loving noped out when it looked like he might have to do a bit of work.

And he hosed a dead pig. Put his hog in a hog. His porker in some pork. He salted the bacon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1170413952175607808

in case you guys were thinking of staying afloat post-Brexit by exporting jellied midlanders

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Antisemitism Tsar" is such a stupid and historically ignorant job title for what it is that it's a shock that its not the most antisemitic thing about it. Imagine hiring a goy antisemitism witchfinder general who's also a massive bigot.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hey, what's this prominent article on the Beeb front page?

Oh ok, still can't think what this drunken brawl that could have led to Brexit might be tho-

:shepicide:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You forgot Change UK (Milkist-Leninist)
Not to mention The Independant Group for Change (splitters)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

*in extremely dribbling and confused Adam Curtis voice*

*a scientist shakes his head and puts a cross in the defective clone box*

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Finished trawling through the 2017 election stuff (for England, anyway - will look at Scotland, Wales and NI* another day - it was bad enough going through the sheer number of English constituancies).

Got a feeling this might be somewhat relevant in a few weeks; here's all the seats where the difference in votes between Labour and the next largest party is 5000 or under.

Not included seats with a majority larger than 5000 (with the exceptions of Plymouth Moor View and Johnson's seat, as they're just over the limit), or seats where Labour came third.

Having gone through that, it's a nice reminder that the for the most part, the Labour vote rocketed. The Tories benefitted more from UKIP's collapse, but both Labour and Tory gained votes from it. The Libdems did better than under Clegg but not much outside of a few strongholds.

If nothing else, seeing how the Brexit party is gonna impact things, or if the Libdems split the Labour vote is gonna be one of those bumclencher moments. :ohdear:

[e]:

Apraxin posted:

Hey, what's this prominent article on the Beeb front page?

Oh ok, still can't think what this drunken brawl that could have led to Brexit might be tho-

Christ :suicide:

*Am aware that Labour doesn't run in NI, but curious about the vote breakdown anyway :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

feedmegin posted:

I thought nobody actually spoke nynorsk (as opposed to writing it)

I know I just wanted to draw out any potential nynorsk nerds in the thread to laugh at them (you). Nynorsk is indeed a dead language. Although NRK Radio would probably disagree.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

Again, dumb American here, but this is some galaxy brain poo poo right?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jealous Cow posted:

Absolutely galactic supercluster brained. The idea that Corbyn is somehow responsible for or indeed a secret mastermind of Brexit has been a centrist article of faith for years now, and they have no more evidence or logical structure behind it than they did at the beginning.

In point of fact Corbyn is not a Eurosceptic, he simply has a nuanced assessment of the EU as an institution, i.e., deeply flawed and neoliberal, but still better than what came before and something we're better off in and trying to improve than out of.

But even if Corbyn was proven to play a part it also overlooks all the million other factors that led to the vote going for Leave, such as the decade of austerity on the heels of decades of more general neoliberalism, the vast wealth gap in this country, the other politicians who actually did campaign for Brexit (Such as an obscure Tory known as Boris Johnson), the media's complicity both in the campaign and for forty-odd years beforehand, widespread general ignorance of what the EU is, what it does, and how it does it, and the billionty lies about how easy leaving would be and how it'd be great for us and we'd get an amazing deal and we'd be better off than ever.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joedevola posted:

In the last few days I've surprised myself by coming around to a sort of grudging respect for David Cameron. He's every bit as lizard brained and deserving of hatred as any Tory, but now we can see how much work he had to do to keep the mask from slipping.

During the Cameron years he projected a kind of deadening, robotic, corporate competence, which gave the Tories a patina of inevitability. They were raised to rule and they'd be there forever. Especially when you remember how completely hollowed out Labour were under Brown and Miliband. But now we see what an absolute loving clown car the whole organisation has been the entire time.

For me it was the "girly swot" thing and seeing Mogg lounging in parliament like some dissolute, Victorian dope fiend poet. They're children. They're completely stunted and mentally still at boarding school.

Yank perspective: I follow Brit politics but it's interesting to watch him and Boris (as mayor) on the old Letterman show. Cameron, to an American audience, came off as charming and played along with the "game" of the show while Boris totally flunked it. His weird, self-deprecating manner didn't translate. This is the only vehicle for exposure for British politicians for 90 percent of Americans.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 8, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolutely galactic supercluster brained. The idea that Corbyn is somehow responsible for or indeed a secret mastermind of Brexit has been a centrist article of faith for years now, and they have no more evidence or logical structure behind it than they did at the beginning.

In point of fact Corbyn is not a Eurosceptic, he simply has a nuanced assessment of the EU as an institution, i.e., deeply flawed and neoliberal, but still better than what came before and something we're better off in and trying to improve than out of.

But even if Corbyn was proven to play a part it also overlooks all the million other factors that led to the vote going for Leave, such as the decade of austerity on the heels of decades of more general neoliberalism, the vast wealth gap in this country, the other politicians who actually did campaign for Brexit (Such as an obscure Tory known as Boris Johnson), the media's complicity both in the campaign and for forty-odd years beforehand, widespread general ignorance of what the EU is, what it does, and how it does it, and the billionty lies about how easy leaving would be and how it'd be great for us and we'd get an amazing deal and we'd be better off than ever.

Ok that’s what I thought. Thanks.

I remember watching all the poo poo coming out of the leave campaign and it seemed thoroughly rooted in Tory/conservative nonsense.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jealous Cow posted:

It's on the lines of titling the article 'Did (event) Cause the Election of Donald Trump?' and then saying that (event) led to x, then y, and ultimately motivated Bernie Sanders - a lifelong economic populist who some liberals blame for Trump's election - to run for president.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

It's on the lines of titling the article 'Did (event) Cause the Election of Donald Trump?' and then saying that (event) led to x, then y, and ultimately motivated Bernie Sanders - a lifelong economic populist who some liberals blame for Trump's election - to run for president.

Oh so it’s like the stories that blame Jon Favreau for Trump’s election because he wrote jokes about Trump that Obama used in a Whitehouse Correspondence dinner that Trump attended that seemed to kick off Trump’s birtherism poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jealous Cow posted:

Oh hells yeah.

It's missing that very, very, big step of David Cameron, high off the scent of his own farts from the result of the Scottish referendum, started the Brexit ball rolling, entirely independent of Corbyn's ascent to the Labour leadership, in an attempt to resolve a longstanding Tory party issue.

To simplify it greatly, since we joined the EU in the 70s (under Thatcher :lol: ) the Tories have been spilt between the "EU=>Neoliberalism=>Money", and the "Bloody foreign devils, don't need 'em rah rah up the Empire" crowds. Not quite, but that will do.

40 plus years of the effects of neoliberal capitalism, plus as many years of scapegoating the EU, a near decade under austerity, and other factors - among them Cameron's sheer loving complacency that the status quo would hold - snowballed into this hideous, brain-melting monster that now won't go away and eats any party that tries to go near it.

And rather than blame a system that led to that, (and with great reluctance to blame any of the actual architects for that), instead it's all Corbyn's fault; he didn't campaign hard enough, he campaigned too hard, secretly voted leave and was only pretending to vote remain, or is actually too remain and wants to enslave us to the EU; and is simultaneously a useless, weak, old, jam grandad who should step aside for the Libdems, but also a secret Machiavelli, who is pulling all the strings, and in charge of the "Cancel Brexit" button, that he refuses to push.

[e]: Ms Adequate & Apraxin have more concise explanations.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 8, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

joedevola posted:

I don’t know. The Conservative rank-and-file have definitely changed since the 2015 election. This madness was always in their heart, but I don’t think it was Cameron that held it back, it was Brexit that unleashed it. The politicians are simply reflecting this, and to an extent, experience it themselves.

As an example: on another forum I frequent (not as much as I used to) we used to be plagued by this guy called Bruce Everiss. You might have heard of him, he used to be a somewhat notorious figure in the games industry in the 80s, and spent quite a while publicly arguing with Stuart Campbell in his games journo days.

Anyway, the forum was generally left-leaning and Bruce was a Tory. The mods were sticklers for the rules and Bruce was an expert at just skimming under them, so he managed to hang around for ages. He was a down-the-middle Tory, and loved Cameron, thought he was one of the best PMs ever. He criticised Farage and his Tory equivalents as dinosaurs, and thought that Labour were loony lefties even under Blair. Pretty standard stuff, though inevitably there was a tinge of racism occasionally. Eventually he hosed up, got himself permabanned, and everyone was glad to see the back of him.

The Brexit vote came and went, and I wondered what Bruce’s position would be. God knows he had no love for Europe, but as I mentioned he loved Cameron and I thought he probably would have gone with the more visibly mainstream Tory line at the time.

A year or so ago, Bruce came up in conversation on the forum. Someone vaguely wondered what he was up to, and someone else went to go find out. What it turned out had happened was that Bruce had gone full-far-right white nationalist. His insane blog (here, if you dare) is just a miasma of ranting about traitors betraying Brexit, the ultra-left BBC, calling the Tory party “leftist”, great replacement theory, and so on. I believe there was some Identity Evropa stuff on there at one point.

Bruce was a colossal prick, but most people (though thankfully, not this thread) would have considered him to be a pretty reasonable Conservative supporter. But then Brexit opened up the unhinged darkness within him. I think that if the referendum had never happened he almost certainly would have remained his original, still-awful self. And I think he’s fairly representative of a lot of the Tory support at this stage.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 8, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Jeremy Corbyn becoming Labour leader is partially due to a Labour mp bravely headbutting tories. Its more to do with Ed Miliband winning the nomination over his more right wing brother David due to the Union vote. Yer man slapping about some tories just gave cover to a bunch of changes done to strip the Unions of power so they could get a more right wing Labour leader.

This led to them lowering the bar of entry into Labour leadership elections and giving rise to the now infamous £3 to vote rule. The theory being that once the public saw yer Chuka Umanas, Liz Kendals and The knock off Clinton impersonator Yvette Coopers they'd flock to pay £3 to vote for these titans of charisma and stop the unions from electing Andy Burnham, who was a bit like Ed Miliband designed by committee.

Problems with this arose when Umuna quit due to not being able to cope with press attention. Rumours about this decision ranged from threats of him being exposed as gay to him being exposed as a coke fiend. I personally believe he just shat it. This led to there being a gap in the race which Jeremy Corbyn managed to get into at the last minute, mostly getting the required nominations from his fellow MP's from calls to widen debate or to watch the left fall flat on its face as it had done at previous leadership elections with Diane Abbot and John McDonnel before.

The second problem was that there was a lot more attention on this race than previous. The promise of more democracy and a right wing Labour leader drew press attention as they gathered to crown ether Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall the future of the party and brand Andy Burnham an insane Marxist and Jeremy Corbyn as some kind of novelty joke relic. This led to coverage of Corbyn that seems bizarre today as he's talked about as a decent guy but fundamentaly could never win. The debates were three near identical clones all echoing the line that Labour went too far to the left under Ed Miliband and had to accept this and Jeremy Corbyn saying the opposite. And then the leadership Polls came out. The public saw Corbyn and loved him. With Corbyn firmly in the lead suddenly he was the IRA HEZBOLA VENEZUELA NUKE BANNER to the press, the other candidates all scrambled to bargain with a membership that had gone hard left overnight and the labour right was saying £3 for a vote was a terrible system that was ripe for abuse even though it was originally theirs to abuse.

The third problem with it was that the Labour right were now so detached from their own party that they forgot their own history. Traditionally the Unions had been the right of the party, representing the reactionary and self protecting working class rather than the academic Marxists who made up the left. Once the left was purged in the late 70s to early 00's the unions became the left through being the last ones standing who weren't managerial neo liberals. By opening the voting process up to all the people they had alienated through the years to chase sun readers and waitrose shoppers they essentially guaranteed a sudden influx of left wing voters. Essentially they bought into their own bollocks and paid dearly.

The EU thing is just bollocks, a means of pushing the blame onto Corbyn for not standing side to side with David Cameron and making their jobs easier to film both of them. The EU referendum was pitched as a tory leadership story and Corbyn was mostly ignored. Its like blaming someone you refused to pass to for losing the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Bruce was a colossal prick, but most people (though thankfully, not this thread) would have considered him to be a pretty reasonable Conservative supporter. But then Brexit opened up the unhinged darkness within him. I think that if the referendum had never happened he almost certainly would have remained his original, still-awful self. And I think he’s fairly representative of a lot of the Tory support at this stage.

It unhinges people because it's the ultimate boomer fantasty - xenophobia, nationalism, taking back control, whatever you want it to be. It'll all be like it was in the Enid Blyton idyll of their childhoods, when you didn't see blacks or gays or hear an accent, and it was all uncomplicated. Where the only thing holding back Britain's greatness was the bendy bananna, politically correct EU, who are all to blame for the foreigns and austerity and waiting times at hospitals.

And the best part is the self-correcting reality; "It's not going to effect the economy - Project FEAR", "Well, it might a bit, but we'll be alright, Blitz spirit!", "Actually...I don't care if it does effect the economy or medicine, I'll be alright!".

And when the impossible fantasy fails to live up to reality, it'll always be someone else to blame - a traitor, the EU itself, the Labour party, Parliament, etc - because it's easier to blame an other than self-reflect on being either a hateful piece of poo poo, or admitting to ignorance having blindly accepted a pack of lies.

It's the culmination of a poisoned system years in the making - and they're drinking loving deep from it.

And on the flipside, you have the #FBPE - equally unhinged, who act as though Brexit is the only important thing in the world, because it's probably one of the few things that directly going to affect their little bubble of reality, in a way that austerity and the failings of neoliberalism didn't. Or that the EU is some supremely benevolent council of philosopher kings, wisely dispensing knowledge and justice and peace to the world. Except the parts that aren't, which they don't pay attention to.

Because any attempt at examination and nuance also means having to examine a system which is still massively loving people over, and directly/indirectly killing people.

[e]: Sorry, getting bit stream of consciousness-y. Lack of sleep :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 8, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol John Mann resigning from Labour isn’t even on the BBC News front page.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
for the £3 rule in context, for maximum laffs you have to appreciate that it was there at the behest of the party right, who felt it might prevent another Ed victory in the future (and likewise resisted fiercely by the left). It would not be until 2071ish that the key party factions (Progress, Momentum, etc) seem to have realized that OMOV now favoured the party left instead of punishing it, and for the left to give up on restoring the old general assemblies

anyway

there were certainly things Corbyn could have done during the Brexit referendum that another Labour leader might have done (or the reverse). e.g. it is hard to see another leader wanting to fly to Istanbul to advocate Turkish entry to the EU one month before the referendum. but concretely we have things like e.g. refusing to share Labour voter rolls with Britain Stronger in Europe, preferring instead its disorganized and underfunded Labour In for Britain campaign, which was appointed prior to JC's leadership victory and was unsurprisingly deeply distrusted by the Leader's Office thereafter

which likewise one has to appreciate in context - the Labour left had correctly observed that the party's cooperation in the Scottish referendum allowed it to give away its critical voter information to an operation that could only possibly benefit the SNP or the Tories no matter the outcome, sacrificing the party to some nebulous national good. And it certainly was true that rallying to support LIFB would likewise have empowered the Labour right. So all involved have a rational reason to pursue their factional interests instead...

A Series Of Best Judgments (Given Information At The Time) would be a fitting summary of Britain in the 2010s really.

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 8, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Obliteration to all Corbyn's enemies!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
in retrospect JC's long-term gamble to advocate for A50 immediately, but then machine the party into studious ambiguity, does not seem to have paid off beyond 2017 - the Tory wets have entirely failed to put up a decent battle to the dries over the past two years, and May clung on just a bit too long, and the fear of a Brexit culture war metamorphosizing into a party line battle came true anyway. Call it the This Tory Brexit Let's Talk About Education Instead strategy, perhaps... it hasn't even worked to contain the party right, who have all suddenly fallen in love with Europe and have indeed forecasted the party's steady slippage from ambiguity with a 6 month time lead

the saga isn't over yet of course

there might be a surprise twist at the end

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 8, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's a genuine delight how hardly anyone cared and the few who did have been thoroughly distracted by Amber Rudd.

Honestly this last week has been the most delightful in British politics in loving years. I'm not daring to hope for some kind of absolutely thumping victory but it's definitely looking like Jezza has basically lured every single Tory to activate his trap card and they're getting loving annihilated as a result. Combined with the huge upsurge in voter registration mostly from young people, the impending GE is looking like a little hope can be allocated.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So on one hand Corbyn wants to destroy britain
On the other corbyn secretly "wants BREXIT"

Do they loving realize the narrarive doesnt match up to past news timelines?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Corbyn becoming Labour leader is partially due to a Labour mp bravely headbutting tories. Its more to do with Ed Miliband winning the nomination over his more right wing brother David due to the Union vote. Yer man slapping about some tories just gave cover to a bunch of changes done to strip the Unions of power so they could get a more right wing Labour leader.

This led to them lowering the bar of entry into Labour leadership elections and giving rise to the now infamous £3 to vote rule. The theory being that once the public saw yer Chuka Umanas, Liz Kendals and The knock off Clinton impersonator Yvette Coopers they'd flock to pay £3 to vote for these titans of charisma and stop the unions from electing Andy Burnham, who was a bit like Ed Miliband designed by committee.

Problems with this arose when Umuna quit due to not being able to cope with press attention. Rumours about this decision ranged from threats of him being exposed as gay to him being exposed as a coke fiend. I personally believe he just shat it. This led to there being a gap in the race which Jeremy Corbyn managed to get into at the last minute, mostly getting the required nominations from his fellow MP's from calls to widen debate or to watch the left fall flat on its face as it had done at previous leadership elections with Diane Abbot and John McDonnel before.

The second problem was that there was a lot more attention on this race than previous. The promise of more democracy and a right wing Labour leader drew press attention as they gathered to crown ether Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall the future of the party and brand Andy Burnham an insane Marxist and Jeremy Corbyn as some kind of novelty joke relic. This led to coverage of Corbyn that seems bizarre today as he's talked about as a decent guy but fundamentaly could never win. The debates were three near identical clones all echoing the line that Labour went too far to the left under Ed Miliband and had to accept this and Jeremy Corbyn saying the opposite. And then the leadership Polls came out. The public saw Corbyn and loved him. With Corbyn firmly in the lead suddenly he was the IRA HEZBOLA VENEZUELA NUKE BANNER to the press, the other candidates all scrambled to bargain with a membership that had gone hard left overnight and the labour right was saying £3 for a vote was a terrible system that was ripe for abuse even though it was originally theirs to abuse.

The third problem with it was that the Labour right were now so detached from their own party that they forgot their own history. Traditionally the Unions had been the right of the party, representing the reactionary and self protecting working class rather than the academic Marxists who made up the left. Once the left was purged in the late 70s to early 00's the unions became the left through being the last ones standing who weren't managerial neo liberals. By opening the voting process up to all the people they had alienated through the years to chase sun readers and waitrose shoppers they essentially guaranteed a sudden influx of left wing voters. Essentially they bought into their own bollocks and paid dearly.

The EU thing is just bollocks, a means of pushing the blame onto Corbyn for not standing side to side with David Cameron and making their jobs easier to film both of them. The EU referendum was pitched as a tory leadership story and Corbyn was mostly ignored. Its like blaming someone you refused to pass to for losing the game.

Another important fact is that all the other candidates, after Falkirk, refused to take union money for their leadership campaigns - as they didn't want to take heat from the media over it. This of course meant that when UNITE were looking for something to spend the political fund on, a Corbyn campaign got alot more of a hearing than Abbot's did in 2010. One of the first signs of a movement towards Corbyn was local parties endorsing him early on, a move that was at least partially organized by UNITE.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ronya posted:

in retrospect JC's long-term gamble to advocate for A50 immediately, but then machine the party into studious ambiguity, does not seem to have paid off beyond 2017 - the Tory wets have entirely failed to put up a decent battle to the dries over the past two years, and May clung on just a bit too long, and the fear of a Brexit culture war metamorphosizing into a party line battle came true anyway. Call it the This Tory Brexit Let's Talk About Education Instead strategy, perhaps... it hasn't even worked to contain the party right, who have all suddenly fallen in love with Europe and have indeed forecasted the party's steady slippage from ambiguity with a 6l month time lead

the saga isn't over yet of course

there might be a surprise twist at the end

I'm not sure pressing for its immediate enactment was the right thing to do but you must be on some truly powerful spiders if you can look at the last week and conclude anything but that, at the very least, Jezza is a pretty smart lad who has a solid grasp of what he's doing. You don't have to exalt him as the greatest political mind since Cato but it's not actually going to be a stupefying surprise at this stage if he gets into No 10.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I don't think "general election at any conever mind" is a stroke of brilliance, no

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spider brain, spider brain, PPE gives you spider brain.
Rots your lobes, eats your nerves, makes you type real stupid words.
Oh no, here comes the spider brain.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Looke posted:

lol if real

https://twitter.com/OdysseanProject is allegedly his real Twitter account (or at least was - it was deleted in the run up to the referendum after being found, then reinstated a couple of years later).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also it was candidate interviews such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJlagId870

which showed how different Corbyn was to everyone. Imagine seeing a politican answer a question straight away and honestly next to three complete idiots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Spider brain, spider brain, PPE gives you spider brain.
Rots your lobes, eats your nerves, makes you type real stupid words.
Oh no, here comes the spider brain.

not emptyquoting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wasn't basically everyone calling for immediate enactment of article 50 not just Corbyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jose posted:

Wasn't basically everyone calling for immediate enactment of article 50 not just Corbyn?

Corbyn said something like 'article 50 will have to be invoked now'. It's FBPE spin to insist he meant 'immediately' rather than 'now that this has happened', so nsturally ronya repeats it every time Corbyn's position on Brexit is mentioned.