Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

I somehow only just found out about this game and I'm hype but gently caress signing up to EGS. What's the least stupid way to play this come December?

Wait until December 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Turin Turambar posted:

Signing up to EGS?
I said least stupid.

Jack Trades posted:

Wait until December 2020.
:hmmyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it might be on MS' game store, and it's definitely gonna be on gamepass if that's your bag.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Turin Turambar posted:

Signing up to EGS?

He said least stupid. Me, I'm just biting the bullet and waiting a year.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mordja posted:

I think it might be on MS' game store, and it's definitely gonna be on gamepass if that's your bag.
I've been looking at game pass because of this and it looks... not bad? I won't have much gaming time for the next few weeks but afterwards I might hop on that, at least until the price goes up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Backer Build 5 is out and it's looking really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfQpqarmQ0

The tactical game has the look of pulling all the good ideas of XCOM2, while taking them in a clearly very different direction, which is something I was worried they wouldn't be able to pull off. Also no pods.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Splicer posted:

I somehow only just found out about this game and I'm hype but gently caress signing up to EGS. What's the least stupid way to play this come December?

:filez:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It looks like there’s a time limit of a year in game before a hard loss condition. The framing of it is pretty interesting so I wonder how they’ll handle it in the final build.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The game is finally starting to come together with most of the advertised features such as haven interaction and more varied mutation types. Right now fighting human enemy is pretty ridiculous because all the human faction has huge amount of armor and hp so the only thing effective against other human is snipers. I had a mission where I forgot to resupply and I had to save my last remaining ammo to shoot out all the enemies guns then use my guns to bash them all to death (while breaking most of my guns in the process).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrManiac posted:

It looks like there’s a time limit of a year in game before a hard loss condition. The framing of it is pretty interesting so I wonder how they’ll handle it in the final build.

It looks a lot like a window into psionics.

e: playing about with the build, you can really feel the Gollop design philosophy coming through. By which I mean

e: a lot of the strategic game concepts feel very familiar to UFO Aftermath and Aftershock, which were of course built from the design notes from Dreamland Chronicles, Gollop's cancelled XCOM follow up. Makes me wonder just how much the plot will follow the same beats.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 9, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Apocalypse was always silly. You could just go real time and set up a firing line in the open in front of every UFO doorway and then just hit fast forward until the mission completed. I honestly never even saw the interior of some of the ships in either of my playthroughs, solely because it was just tedious otherwise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Playing a little more, I really like how the design philosophy makes something that looks extremely similar to XCOM actually play very differently.

In XCOM the map is like a tiled board game. You really just care about the tile your soldier is on, and whether that tile provides high/low cover in the direction you want it to. Phoenix Project is very much set up so that you always have to be thinking about the map as a whole when you are positioning your soldiers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played a little of the new backer build and the progress looks real good. Didn't play that much to not spoil myself on the experience but I'm looking forward it being finished.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They are starting to do basic explanation videos of their systems. If you followed the game constantly there is nothing new I believe, but otherwise they are good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYY96UqjHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmYiECdpts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game's coming out in a week and I think both preview streamer copies and reviews should be rolling in soon.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
i really like xcom and would like for this game to be good but on my Gameing Honour i will not use anything but steam and gog so i guess gently caress This Til Next Year

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The only reason I have any annoyance about the Epic deal is that I didn't invest and get a cut, so I'm looking forward to after exams.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've got a stupid number of free games off Epic (that I mostly haven't played if I'm honest) so if this is actually decent in reviews I'm getting it for sure. My only "worry" is that their notes from the dev process are like "final polish now, adjusted stamina so that soldiers aren't exhausted after one mission even if that mission was literally 5 minutes" which is kind of the sort of thing you'd hope had been worked out more than 1 week before release.

On the other hand all game dev is probably like that. God knows software dev is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the things I thought was badly missing from X-Com 2, was a skirmish, or story free mode for the game. Will Phoenix Point have anything like that?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've got a stupid number of free games off Epic (that I mostly haven't played if I'm honest) so if this is actually decent in reviews I'm getting it for sure. My only "worry" is that their notes from the dev process are like "final polish now, adjusted stamina so that soldiers aren't exhausted after one mission even if that mission was literally 5 minutes" which is kind of the sort of thing you'd hope had been worked out more than 1 week before release.

On the other hand all game dev is probably like that. God knows software dev is.

Got it in one, it's just that they keep it under siding, as it were.

Heck, the whole reason Chryssalids were instazombie pants-browners in UFO Defense... well, they were supposed to work like how they were in EU, but that bug never got fixed.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I said come in! posted:

One of the things I thought was badly missing from X-Com 2, was a skirmish, or story free mode for the game. Will Phoenix Point have anything like that?

It does have that, in the daily missions.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

John Lee posted:

It does have that, in the daily missions.

And Xcom 2 has this also, it was released about a year ago as a sort of free DLC.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

So far I'm liking phoenix even just as enemy within but with better shooting mechanics. Backer build being months old and having some performance issues I hope they have those ironed out for release. Maps are kinda small. Soldiers feel pretty weak when starting out and then kinda way too strong once leveled.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, everything I've heard is that the balance is.....kind of wonky.

I imagine this'll be one of those games that's best to pick up a year later anyways. It'll be better balanced, have a bit more time in the oven, and for whatever reason they seem hellbent on burning their entire Epic paycheck into making DLC, so I'll get a few expansions at the same time before the studio goes under.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Any one know when reviews are suppose to drop?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

BexGu posted:

Any one know when reviews are suppose to drop?

I have a let’s play video coming in a few hours.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

So does this game have difficulty settings like X-com and XCOM? I always enjoy going through my first playthrough on a simpler difficulty to learn the ins and outs of enemy behavior prior to starting harder stuff.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
is gaem gud?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ask again tomorrow. Or later tonight, I guess. Do we have an exact time?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Pierson posted:

Ask again tomorrow. Or later tonight, I guess. Do we have an exact time?

When does the Epic Store update? Or is it only when a lowly office drone hit the "release" button manually?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BexGu posted:

When does the Epic Store update? Or is it only when a lowly office drone hit the "release" button manually?

I'm glad the Marvel Heroes switch flipper found work.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The last email they sent out said 12pm PST tomorrow iirc.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

How many y'all like aliens

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
What was the original backer campaign on? I thought it was Kickstarter but now I'm not sure. I swore I backed this a while ago but I'm unsure of where to get they key for it. Searching my emails doesn't seem to show anything I'm looking for :/

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What was the original backer campaign on? I thought it was Kickstarter but now I'm not sure. I swore I backed this a while ago but I'm unsure of where to get they key for it. Searching my emails doesn't seem to show anything I'm looking for :/

It was on Fig

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Pharmaskittle posted:

How many y'all like aliens

Hate em!

E: but only ones from space

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Were backers already supposed to get the key for the full version of the game or not?
I have the Backer Build activated on my EGS account but no full version appeared yet and I don't have any extre keys in my mail.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've had 2 mails with my epic key so far. 1 last week, 1 today.

There was a point where i wasn't getting backerbuilds and had to yell at support for a while so maybe some folks are still in that limbo.

Key mails come from snapshotgames.com

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I got emailed a key a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Same, got an email with my key last week.