Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Naffer posted:

Is there anything as satisfying as finding documents related to one of your ancestors by blindly stumbling through scanned microfilm copies of records for a county where you know they lived?
It seems like familysearch has a massive trove of digitized documents that just need a bit of OCR action.

Yeah they have been trying hard to get away from microfilm but their transcription is lagging way behind. Feel free to volunteer on the site though. I mean you're reading through them all anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Naffer posted:

Is there anything as satisfying as finding documents related to one of your ancestors by blindly stumbling through scanned microfilm copies of records for a county where you know they lived?
It seems like familysearch has a massive trove of digitized documents that just need a bit of OCR action.

Yeah, it's great!

I was looking at deeds yesterday to see which properties one of my bourgeois ancestors owned, and discovered that another ancestor also owned a property, which I had not expected as he seemed to be struggling for pretty much all his life (lots of travelling between jobs of short duration, some small claims stuff re debt, etc).

Weirdly, I can only find that he sells the property, not when he buys it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah, it's great!

I was looking at deeds yesterday to see which properties one of my bourgeois ancestors owned, and discovered that another ancestor also owned a property, which I had not expected as he seemed to be struggling for pretty much all his life (lots of travelling between jobs of short duration, some small claims stuff re debt, etc).

Weirdly, I can only find that he sells the property, not when he buys it.

Possible he inherited it and sold it for money?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Possible, but not likely. There should be a deed anyway, whether he bought or inherited.

Also, there were contemporary registers of owners of properties, and for some reason neither my ancestor nor the buyer on the deed I found are listed on the property. It's very strange.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf it's getting stranger, it's like there's two timelines

Timeline A, confirmed by property registry:
1828 July: owner dies, probate proceedings continue into 1831
1830 Oct: city magistrate buys property on auction, immediately sells it to a third party

Timeline B:
18??: my ancestor acquires property
1830 May: my ancestor sells property. This is also referenced in a separate contract regarding use of the property as a factory where the new owner is supplier of materials and my ancestor runs the factory.

:psyduck:

Now, it's possible that my ancestor buys the property during the probate proceedings and that the person he sells it to is almost immediately forced to auction it off, but there are no documents to support that, though there should be were it the case

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 24, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Perhaps your ancestor had a leasehold or sub let and someone else owned the freehold? Or perhaps the property had been subdivided with a very subtly different or identical appellations? This is the trouble with land records, they evolve differently everywhere, they're old enough to not be very standard and people invent dodges and workarounds all the time to avoid paying taxes etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's not a freehold, but a building in Copenhagen, where records are afaik pretty consistent for the period. But yeah, it could be a subdivision of some kind.

My ancestor's deed says that he is selling the factory situated on the address. Perhaps the factory is in leased rooms in the building, and he never owned the building but is only selling the factory itself, ie. contents of the rooms? Following the deed, there's an inventory of tools and stuff.

e: this could also explain why my ancestor sells for 975 rigsdaler while the magistrate buys for 2000 rdl just 5 months later.

thanks for the suggestion, Jaguars! :D

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 24, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Have you found the cadastral map from the area and time? I found ones dating from 1817 (which should have later annotations until the next edition was drawn since they were live documents that were updated)

They're at
http://kort.plandata.dk/spatialmap?,
click the GST button in the top toolbar and you should be able to click anywhere on the main map to see the relevant maps.

https://eng.gst.dk/danish-cadastre-office/cadastral-archives/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Unfortunately, the Copenhagen cadastral maps don't have owner/user annotations, probably because the much higher turnover would make the maps a mess very fast (unlike the maps of fields out in the country that usually only changed once per generation). As a whole, there are some major differences in management between the capital and the rest of the country, mostly due to its uniqueness in population & building density.

I did find that the building is still standing & listed for protection, though (built 1770). That's pretty neat. I'll try and look into what kinds of descriptions &c are made for such.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 25, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I also wrote the "ask an archivist" service yesterday and got an answer already! They independently suggested that the factory was under a lease in the building, so I'm gonna go with that.

Possibly the lease contract was entered into the notary public's protocols, I'll check up on that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, I discovered this cool website which has a bunch of neat fonts!

http://www.ligafaktur.de/Startseite.html (click Frakturschriften in the tabs in the middle)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ditch posted:

[seinfeld]What's the deal... with Swiss records?[/seinfeld]

It kills me knowing that the one place 100% guaranteed to have meticulous, well-preserved records is a black hole.

Just found this over on reddit, might help you in your swiss research:
https://query.staatsarchiv.bs.ch/
You can also email them directly via the contact page (be painfully polite, use honorifics the whole nine yards, continentals can be seriously hung up on proper address and will take offense if you don't, act like you're writing a cover letter for a job you really want) and ask if you find anything on there and they might help.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well this is new (to me anyway) and rather cool!

quote:

Archive­Grid, a free online catalog of finding aids that describe more than four million archival materials in 1,000 repositories around the US and the rest of the globe. This particular genealogy search tool is great for finding collections in participating repositories and libraries, including the collections from university libraries to court records, historical societies, and more. You can then use the finding aid to learn more about the materials and request copies, visit the holding library or hire a local researcher.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Oracle posted:

Just found this over on reddit, might help you in your swiss research:
https://query.staatsarchiv.bs.ch/
You can also email them directly via the contact page (be painfully polite, use honorifics the whole nine yards, continentals can be seriously hung up on proper address and will take offense if you don't, act like you're writing a cover letter for a job you really want) and ask if you find anything on there and they might help.
I'm assuming I would need to know the exact thing I'm looking for? All I have are names and a general timeframe of when they were born somewhere in Switzerland.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ditch posted:

I'm assuming I would need to know the exact thing I'm looking for? All I have are names and a general timeframe of when they were born somewhere in Switzerland.

There's only so many people in Switzerland dude, its not Germany. Give it a shot you might get lucky!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If you're having trouble finding some post-WWII family because they were refugees/resettlement types, Ancestry just uploaded a nice huge database of 1 million+

quote:

The second newest WWII-related database is Africa, Asia and Europe, Passenger Lists of Displaced Persons, 1946-1971, a resource on 1.7 million people. Arolsen Archives (formerly the International Tracing Service) provided the document scans on Holocaust victims and survivors, Nazi forced laborers and refugees.

The documents in the database provide first and last name, nationality, country of birth, religion, martial status, gender, age or birth date, country of last residence, job title, departure date, departure place, resettlement camp, arrival place and destination on immigrants.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Man, this factory.

So my ancestor builds it in leased rooms 1828–30 and sells it to another man with whom he enters a partnership. This partner apparently then leases rooms in a new building outside the city limits in 1831, this one also owned by the magistrate, and my ancestor works there. In 1832, their partnership falls apart (apparently because my ancestor owes money to his partner), and soon after, the partner reports to the police that my ancestor has stolen a number of factory tools and stuff.

My ancestor claims it is a misunderstanding, as he had learned that the magistrate had sold the buildings to the veterinary school, and so sent his wife and one of his journeymen to pick up his rightful belongings, some that did not belong to him may have been picked up by mistake. It appears the items are given back and the case goes no further.

Some time later (possibly 1832/33), my ancestor is hired by another man to run a similar factory (or does this man buy it off the other man? no idea!); he sells it on auction around April 1837 ("last month" according to a May 1837 letter by him).

But now I haven't been able to find a deed or auction for this sale, and to make matters worse, the property registry covering that area/period appears to have been lost. The deeds exist, but as I don't know who the buyer is, the indexes are worthless.

And since everything is on paper sent between 2 jurisdictions and multiple govt offices, where each will only have part of each case (and of course they use different journaling systems), it very quickly gets p complicated to get the right records :cripes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Apparently you can request that FamilySearch digitize specific microfilms (ie. prioritize them in their ongoing digitization). Any of y'all tried it?

How do I request that a microfilm be digitized?

Anyway, I've just requested the maximum 5 films and got a ticket in their support system (you can check them under Help>My Cases in the top right corner) so we'll see. I'll report back if/when anything happens!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Neato

quote:

Thank you for your interest in our efforts to digitize our microfilm collection and make it easily and widely available online. We have submitted your request to prioritize select film(s) to be digitized. Most of our collection is online now in the FamilySearch Catalog or Historic Record Collections. Please check these sources periodically for the digital updates you are seeking.

While we process your request, please be aware that:

• We might not have permission currently to scan the films you requested due to contracts restrictions with the record owners.
  • You will need to periodically check the FamilySearch Catalog or Historic Record Collections to know when your requested film has been digitized.

Thank you for your interest in FamilySearch’s free services and offerings. We appreciate your continued support.

FamilySearch Support

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good luck! I’ve found things can really drag but when they happen they go quick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think the shortest I've heard is 3 weeks, but we'll see. I'm setting an event to check every friday :f5:

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Just found out that my second great grandmother was a bootlegger!
Now I've got to look for the court records.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Naffer posted:

Just found out that my second great grandmother was a bootlegger!
Now I've got to look for the court records.

Awesome! Criminals are the best ancestors, there's so much stuff to find!

The ones who paid their taxes and tilled their fields are like gaps in the sources, they did everything right so why even write about them? Whereas with the criminals, you get interrogations, witness statements, enumerations of stuff --- it's basically a treasure trove of how they lived and who was around and how they spoke. Best of all, there's peripheral info about other family members like names, addresses, what they look like, who knows!

Probably one of my favorite things to discover that someone in my past was a criminal lol

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Krankenstyle posted:

Awesome! Criminals are the best ancestors, there's so much stuff to find!

The ones who paid their taxes and tilled their fields are like gaps in the sources, they did everything right so why even write about them? Whereas with the criminals, you get interrogations, witness statements, enumerations of stuff --- it's basically a treasure trove of how they lived and who was around and how they spoke. Best of all, there's peripheral info about other family members like names, addresses, what they look like, who knows!

Probably one of my favorite things to discover that someone in my past was a criminal lol

Yup, I also have a murderer in my direct patrilineal line. I actually just found the court records for his sentence (death) today!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My patrilineal great4 grandpa hanged himself from a workbench(!)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow! The first 3 films are already online :woop:

e: dang, it says "Error loading image. Please try again later." when I click through so hopefully that's only temporary (maybe they're not replicated out to all servers yet?)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hell yeah they're online now. Not sure if it's because of the support ticket I created yesterday (it hasn't been replied to) but whatever :D

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nm.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Working my way through transcribing the police investigation about the time the church records burned in my hometown, but drat it's slow going, this guy was writing way too fast. I hope I can find a cleaner version somewhere in the insurance archives lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That doesn't look so bad, just kinda messy. I mean at least its not a photocopy of a photocopy of a microfilm image from 1937 with water stains and half the pages ripped out...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It doesn't look bad, but trust me it is. The words run together a lot, and the writer is very lazy about differentiating similar letters. Every single line requires multiple passes to tease out the correct words. Things change a lot while I work it out, even some change back & forth. For example, the first couple lines (some lines require even more passes):

First pass (just writing down my first impressions & skipping what doesn't immediately make sense):
paa Sygehuset i Esb., og paa sigt .. 3 a 4 ..
kunne tale .. Da Kpt. tiltraadte Præsteembedet ..
kjøbte han den lille Sognepagt Pragt .. .. ..

Second pass (refining):
paa Sygehuset i Esb., og har først de sidste 3 a 4 [Dage?]
kunnet tale lidt. Da Kpt. tiltraadte Præstegaarden ..
[-ukke?] han den tidl Sognepræst Præst .. .. ..

Third pass (starting to make sense):
paa Sygehuset i Esb., og har først de sidste 3 a 4 [Dage?]
kunnet tale lidt. Da Kpt. tiltraadte Præstegaarden af-
kjøbte han den tidl Sognepræst Provst Raaschou en

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 4, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

It doesn't look bad, but trust me it is. The words run together a lot, and the writer is very lazy about differentiating similar letters. Every single line requires multiple passes to tease out the correct words. Things change a lot while I work it out, even some change back & forth. For example, the first couple lines (some lines require even more passes):
Ok that's a tedious pain in the rear end. Makes you feel compassion for schoolteachers, especially with my kids chicken scratch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I can imagine, my cursive was always horrid & my teacher was definitely not a fan lol

Also I'm super impressed with the speed digitizations from FamilySearch. Requested some more last week and they showed up yesterday! Though for some reason they only did 3/5 of my first request from about a month ago. I wonder if I should re-open that ticket or something. I'll probably wait a while, don't want to seem needy :D

NFX: Maybe try this for the church records you were looking for in East Prussia?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if your memory or me randomly opening the thread 20 minutes later is more spooky, but thanks for the heads up :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol nice :cool::hf::cool:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Which of these two boys (ca. 10 years old) would you say is the young man (ca. 20 years old), if any?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The top one, judging by the ears in particular, and the chin.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd agree, and the shape of the eyes matches better too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks! I agree, the first boy is the young man, also think his lips and the space between his mouth and chin are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I would probably look a lot like that guy if I was 20 in the late 19th century.