Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

sincx posted:

Seriously? That sucks. I always thought he would have made a good IK for the D&D/C-SPAM China threads:

I hope he's just taking a break. Given that he's traveling on a Canadian passport, I can't imagine things going too well if he was actually detained. On the other hand, if a Canadian citizen was detained in the Mainland for participating in the HK protests, I suspect the news would have picked up on it by now.

Good luck, cabe.

China doesn't recognize dual citizenship, has he renounced his HK/Chinese citizenship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does the guy who made pepe get paid for any of this because its starting to sound like pepes so big in china he should probably be set for life just on merchandising fees

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Intellectual property isn't real

China has the right view on this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ace of Baes posted:

why is a Canadian goon trying to sneak from China into hong Kong?
smuggling out money from illicit anime sales

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

Mom, Help! There Are Authoritarians Under My Bed!
i regret to inform the anarchists that their book club is not going to save the world

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

sincx posted:

Seriously? That sucks. I always thought he would have made a good IK for the D&D/C-SPAM China threads

lmfao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
anyways, it seems like one country two systems is holding strong. respect to all sides

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I’ve heard this a few times in this thread, but never the actual argument in favour of abolishing intellectual property laws.

I always though that if someone does a bunch of legwork to invent something, why shouldn’t we value that labour?

e: i know companies abuse these laws, but the basic principle seems justified

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

a primate posted:

I’ve heard this a few times in this thread, but never the actual argument in favour of abolishing intellectual property laws.

I always though that if someone does a bunch of legwork to invent something, why shouldn’t we value that labour?

intellectual property, much like regular property, ends up hoarded in the hands of a select few, the exceptions to this, independent creators or artists, are akin to 'entrepeneurs', they are not an argument for it, just a small area where sometimes the person doesn't get completely hosed over, and even there they usually still do just in a different way

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

a primate posted:

They should be paid by Pateron, it's better for the world this way. Medical research should be done by the states. India has it right.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's real if the property belongs to a chinese firm tho

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I, for one, am loving the very normal coverage

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Frijolero posted:

I, for one, am loving the very normal coverage

every time an American pundit writes about “freedom,” “democracy,” or “human rights” in a foreign policy context, a neoconservative earns his helicopter to throw communists out of

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

a primate posted:

Corporations don't even value the labor of people who invent things for them, because the intellectual property rights default to the company when labor is performed by researchers under contract.

We like to think of IP laws being something that guarantees an artist's right to benefit from their own cultural works, but the overwhelming application of IP is guaranteeing the rights of patent holders to collect rents from the continued use of proprietary technologies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

every time an American pundit writes about “freedom,” “democracy,” or “human rights” in a foreign policy context, a neoconservative earns his helicopter to throw communists out of

I liked the story about the PRC persecuting free market/Chicago School worshipers in mainland China.

At least they get some things right.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

If you want an easy to digest video about it, this person has a two party series on it. I will say he has unusual veiws on attribution that I'm not sure what to think about.

https://youtu.be/RGRKTw-DWfw

https://youtu.be/U5AxnNbC-oM

BrokenGameboy has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Sep 8, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
motherfuckin bane on the bottom left right there

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

sincx posted:

Pro-tip for student protesters: get contacts and hit the gym.

lmao she wont let glasses dude hold her hand

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

dollars to donuts it's a christian thing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

right on schedule another bloodnose factoid that makes the protesters look less sympathetic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

she's saving handholding for marriage

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

right on schedule another bloodnose factoid that makes the protesters look less sympathetic

sorry but it's true there's a lot of hardcore christianity in Hong Kong and most of the best secondary schools are Anglican affiliated with a couple of Buddhist ones. Joshua Wong in addition to being an NED puppet or whatever is a pretty serious christian boy and he's not alone.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

she's saving handholding for marriage

you joke but that's honestly probably what's going on.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
as much as anyone here might think it's literally my job to make the protesters look sympathetic it is not literally my job to make the protesters look sympathetic. Their goals are good but their coalition certainly includes elements that are not good like libertarian shithead Jimmy Lai I talked about a couple weeks ago, a lot of Christians who are likely to not like gay people (I dunno his opinions on gay people but Catholic Cardinal Joseph Zen has been a major pro-democracy leader for decades), and weirdos like Long Hair who has been wearing the same unwashed Che Guevara t-shirt since 2000 with his Revolutionary Marxist League.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
What sect of Christianity is against hand holding? I bet it's a virgin protester vs chad thing.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

protestantism was a mistake

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

eek!!!!

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1169979828780617730?s=19

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Omg how dare they help people recover from a disaster when Trump would prefer to spend $0 doing so. Madness!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tino posted:

What sect of Christianity is against hand holding? I bet it's a virgin protester vs chad thing.

It's more of a sliding scale where some churches are more against it than others.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/henrykrinkie/status/1170525659942260736?s=21

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what exactly is that even supposed to be referring to some kind of proposition because i find it kind of hard to believe that chinese agents are just roaming the streets of ohio demanding personal information from every random passerby

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly is that even supposed to be referring to some kind of proposition because i find it kind of hard to believe that chinese agents are just roaming the streets of ohio demanding personal information from every random passerby

The Ohio government is gonna add a new tax to help keep the Davis Besse nuclear plant open, and this petition is trying to put the issue before the voters since Ohio law states that new taxes aren't subject to a referendum. Supposedly the petition is being pushed by energy companies who have received finances from Chinese companies. So if you sign the petition you're supposedly giving your private information to "the Chinese government."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China is going to FORCE us to rename Canton, Ohio to Guangzhou.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Mantis42 posted:

China is going to FORCE us to rename Canton, Ohio to Guangzhou.

Guangdong :what:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

love how kneejerk xenophobia is now just a totally rational reaction by both political parties without even the slightest regard to explaining how such and such legislation actually benefits foreign powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like Reuters changed their headline to this article. Standard practice!

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1170592856722919425?s=09