Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Heath posted:

It is, but it didn't say which models it fits. I have a 2007 T100. I can't imagine it wouldn't fit since it's just held in by splines and a bolt, but I want to be sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/856130-gear-shift-lever-snapped-at-peg.html%3famp=1

Looks like you can also buy a Honda dirt bike lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got up this morning and took a look at it and the break is pretty clean, right at the neck of the bolt. I went and got some J-B Weld and it's gotta set for a day, but my dad says he used it for something similar and it supposedly holds at up to 5000 PSI so it should at least provide a temporary fix until I can source a good lever.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Heath posted:

I got up this morning and took a look at it and the break is pretty clean, right at the neck of the bolt. I went and got some J-B Weld and it's gotta set for a day, but my dad says he used it for something similar and it supposedly holds at up to 5000 PSI so it should at least provide a temporary fix until I can source a good lever.

I JB-welded my plastic fairing together and it broke along the same line a few months later. I wouldn't trust it for an application like this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've made repairs to plastic fairing-like parts by epoxying the pieces back together with a piece of fiberglass cloth (soaked in epoxy) on the back side for stabilization. If you don't have fiberglass cloth a piece of clean denim cut from old jeans works surprisingly well too. J-B Weld is not the right epoxy to use, though; the metal powder content makes it somewhat brittle and less likely to adhere to flexible substrates. For plastics, use regular 5-minute epoxy with no additives.

e: oh, this is actually about repairing a gear shift lever? Yeah epoxy isn't going to do it. It will break again on the first ride. You have to weld it or just buy a new one.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 6, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or file the stump flat, drill and tap a hole, then put in a bolt covered by a piece of hose.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I woke up last week with the inexplicable need to ride motorcycles. No idea why. I once rode a dirtbike like 25 years ago and I sometimes help my mate out on his farm and bomb around on his 4 wheel atv, and that's it for riding for me. But last week one morning I thought "I need a road bike" and I went to to wife and said "Hey... I wanna get a motorbike" and she said "good, that'll suit you and I'll get the van to myself".

So here I am looking for a bike and stuff. I live in rural Australia. Plenty of long straight roads in various condition, some mountains not too far off, not much rain. I'm 6'3 tall, 260lbs fat, and not interested in going real fast so much as going alone.

I'm going into town today to look at and price gear and talk to the people that run the learner course, and maybe look at some bikes I won't be buying yet.

The thread's given me the impression that I should be looking for a 250cc bike. If I'm looking at cruisers is that gonna be enough to propel my chubby self down the highway at 100 - 110km/h? Because where I am I can walk for 15 minutes in any direction and that's what the speed limit is. Or should I be looking at 500-650 cruisers for that? Bikes I've liked the looks of are Yamaha viragos and V stars, Honda shadow 400, Yamaha drag star. As for gear I was gonna look for boots jacket gloves in leather, Kevlar/armoured jeans looking pants, and a modular helmet because I might need glasses for driving/riding soon.

Am I on the right track here? What else do I need? Did I miss something important or am I doing something dumb?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of those bikes will be perfect for what you wanna do, just remember that weight generally increases with capacity and cruisers are unusually big and heavy as it is, so you're at a higher risk of driveway boo-boos, dropping the bike while parking, things like that.

Just don't get a Virago as they're a poo poo bike mechanically. In your scenario a 250 is probably genuinely a bit small, but remember that the bigger you go, the slower you learn. A 4-500cc bike seems ideal.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
If you’re set on a cruiser, add the Suzuki Savage / S40 to your list of things to look at. I had one as my first bike and really enjoyed riding it, and it’s delightfully easy to work on if you ever need to.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Only thing I'd say is that you don't need a modular helmet if you're going to wear glasses. I've worn glasses while riding for years and it's never been a problem with a full face helmet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

If you’re set on a cruiser, add the Suzuki Savage / S40 to your list of things to look at. I had one as my first bike and really enjoyed riding it, and it’s delightfully easy to work on if you ever need to.

These aren't a bad bike or anything but they have equal, if not worse, performance compared to an ex250.

They're also terrible garbage poo poo to work on if you need to do anything serious like replacing the spark plug. They probably have the worst ratio of mechanical simplicity to layout cuntyness I've ever seen outside of Royal Enfield.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Do other world markets get different exhausts on their Savage/S40s? Almost every one I've ever seen here has some kind of loose metal inside it that makes this incredibly obnoxious squeaking noise with every puff of the exhaust. It's seriously like nails on a chalkboard, it's enraging. It wouldn't be too bad a bike otherwise.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

The thread's given me the impression that I should be looking for a 250cc bike.

It's the sensible choice. However, I started out on a Guzzi V7 and haven't regretted it at all.
I did, though, take private lessons (mostly on a 250) until I passed my MST.

I also didn't buy it to 'go fast'.
Gear, there's so many variables and it depends on what's available locally. Check out the local stores.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The "250 cc" rule/recommendation pretty much applies to sporty bikes, largely because of the unforgiving nature of a modern 600cc 4-cylinder engine, where it's nice and mundane until you get to 10krpm and suddenly you're going lightspeed (bonus: you whiskey-throttle your way into that range) 400+cc thumpers, and cruisers of any displacement are much less likely to get you into trouble.

My first bike was an 800cc Suzuki Marauder, and it had a nice little kick to it on the road, but if you opened it up it just farted a little louder, much more weight and less power than my SV-650.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks, sounds like I'm asking the right questions at least. Now I'm gonna say something that's probably real dumb.

After looking at the guzzi v7 mentioned above, I think what I'm actually looking for isn't "a cruiser" specifically, but a more retro/vintage/whatever looking bike than something like a ninja. You know, single headlight, some chrome maybe, less bodywork? The cruisers I mentioned all fit in there but so does (googling a bit) stuff like the yamaha sr400.

So two dumb things

a) What's that style called? What other stuff is in that kinda style and would suit a newbie?

b) If I was looking for something like that rather than a cruiser, should I be looking at 250cc instead of ~400?

...and maybe a third dumb thing: Like I said, I'm on the fat side, and is a 250 gonna get me around at a steady 100/110km/h? Like, if the bike's straining at 100km/h I'm not gonna feel comfortable riding it on the highway, and around here it's all highway. Is this the wrong question because there's a massive difference between 250s of different types?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 7, 2019

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Do you mean a cafe racer? Or a Scrambler?

Here's a rad looking 400 with a KTM engine, for better and worse:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I don't know what I mean, I'm new to this. That thing looks rad but isn't what I meant. More like this kinda thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mewse
May 2, 2006

No plastics but not a cruiser are usually either naked or retro

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gently caress it, I attached the wrong picture.

"Retro" seems to be the right search term. Like this thing

looks like it's from the '70s but apparently it's a 2017 model.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Do other world markets get different exhausts on their Savage/S40s? Almost every one I've ever seen here has some kind of loose metal inside it that makes this incredibly obnoxious squeaking noise with every puff of the exhaust. It's seriously like nails on a chalkboard, it's enraging. It wouldn't be too bad a bike otherwise.

That's the head gasket blowing through :v:

gently caress it, I attached the wrong picture.

"Retro" seems to be the right search term. Like this thing

looks like it's from the '70s but apparently it's a 2017 model.

Sr400 fits your bill but it's kickstart only, for better or worse.

A reasonably ballsy 250 will get you around at motorway speeds just fine, unfortunately most retro 250's don't fall into that category as they're usually equipped with anemic air cooled single cylinder engines.

Do they have Honda gb400's where you live?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's 4 gb400s for sale on bikesales.com.au and they're all from 1985. So... yes, I guess, but not anywhere near me and they don't seem to be common.

What's the problem with kickstart only?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's 4 gb400s for sale on bikesales.com.au and they're all from 1985. So... yes, I guess, but not anywhere near me and they don't seem to be common.

What's the problem with kickstart only?

If it's no problem for you it's no problem, some people just can't/won't/hate kick.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If you kickstart your bike in public first time people will think you're a cool dude.

If you gently caress it up they'll think you're a moron.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dudes 6'3 and 260+. He kicks it, it's going to stay kicked.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
1. You’re talking 60mph? Yes. A 250 will get you a steady 60mph. Don’t worry about the revs being high. Bikes rev a lot higher than cars and are meant to.
2. I have bikes with kick start and push button. I literally never use kickstart unless I have to. It’s fine, it’s just nicer to push button and go.
3. I like riding bikes in the dirt. You are in rural Australia so if there’s a chance you like it too you should give it a shot because where you are is amazing for it. You also have the reigning Dakar winner and fat man (for, you know, a Dakar winner) in tony “pies” price. Dude is great and you should also love him. https://www.redbull.com/au-en/paying-the-price-toby-price-s-road-to-dakar
4. Bikes have gotten better. So an sv650 from 1980 had mid-low 40s horsepower and a new ninja 250 has 39 hp. I would expect anything with like 20hp and up to be able to get you around but it really is a question of what you want. Also, the style you’re looking at is sometimes called a UJM.
5. You could try a drz400 as that will get you down the road OK and also give you the opportunity to try riding around in the dirt.
6. It’s your first bike. You can get more bikes or different bikes so don’t feel like this decision is the be all end all of your riding experience.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

I don't know what I mean, I'm new to this. That thing looks rad but isn't what I meant. More like this kinda thing
Since you’re looking for search terms also try “standard” (this was the term before “naked” which admittedly is better branding) and even “UJM”.

I had a similar idea of what I wanted when I started out and ended up with a Honda CB750 as my third bike. That’s a middling-heavy bike though so I wouldn’t necessarily start on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those Guzzi v7’s are insanely cool, impractical as it may or may not be.

I’m probably gonna have one someday :goleft:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Rolo posted:

Those Guzzi v7’s are insanely cool, impractical as it may or may not be.

I’m probably gonna have one someday :goleft:

There's a gorgeous forest green one of these outside. I want it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shelvocke posted:

There's a gorgeous forest green one of these outside. I want it.

Is it like this one because drat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ronald McDonald's dad phase.

Ronald MacDonald's hipster phase.

Legitimate protip for newbies: all retro standard looking bikes on the internet with knobbies are useless instabait garbage. Every single one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Useless how? If you think more than 5-10% of scramblers will ever see anything worse than a gravel driveway or groomed fire road, your expectations are way off. They're perfectly useful for looking good bombing around town or parked up at the coffee shop. They serve a similar purpose as the average GS, but for a younger/hipper market instead of older dudes and dentists. GS = comfort, scrambler = cool

RE: Guzzi, it's too goddamned bad they're so notoriously unreliable. There's actually a Guzzi dealer in my city (odd, since the nearest Ducati and BMW dealers are 45 minutes to an hour's ride away) and he firesales bikes at the end of every season. I've always liked the looks of the V7, and that BRG+tan example Rolo posted is sharp. I just don't trust them to not break on the regular. That dealer isn't making his money selling bikes, it's fixing the ones he's already sold.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Reliability (supposedly) improved a lot when Piaggio stepped in and overhauled their QC.
I have the V7 iii racer (as pictured above) and it does everything I need it to. It carries me to work and on rides to the mountains in the weekends.
It's fast enough on the highway and it's nimble enough in traffic and twisty roads. Sure I'm far from scraping my knees on the ground, but it's fun to ride, fairly comfortable.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Slavvy posted:

These aren't a bad bike or anything but they have equal, if not worse, performance compared to an ex250.

They're also terrible garbage poo poo to work on if you need to do anything serious like replacing the spark plug. They probably have the worst ratio of mechanical simplicity to layout cuntyness I've ever seen outside of Royal Enfield.

Similar power/weight to the ex250 but a lot more torque, no? The only complaint I had about the bike were the ergos, which felt cramped after 20 minutes or more.

You have to pull the tank to change the plug, which is stupid, but not hard. The chrome trim piece on the cylinder head can be loosened so it pivots out of the way and you won’t have to take the tank off for future plug changes, but who’s really changing plugs that often?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Every one I’ve seen had something non-stock for that reason. Dyna mufflers fit and sound great and since nearly every HD owner ditches their stock pipes, they’re cheap and easy to find.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Similar power/weight to the ex250 but a lot more torque, no? The only complaint I had about the bike were the ergos, which felt cramped after 20 minutes or more.

You have to pull the tank to change the plug, which is stupid, but not hard. The chrome trim piece on the cylinder head can be loosened so it pivots out of the way and you won’t have to take the tank off for future plug changes, but who’s really changing plugs that often?

Every one I’ve seen had something non-stock for that reason. Dyna mufflers fit and sound great and since nearly every HD owner ditches their stock pipes, they’re cheap and easy to find.

In a straight line they are similar at lower speeds, I was referring more to how much better the ninja brakes and turns, but I'll grant that doesn't matter to a learner that much.

As for mechanic bitching: the foot controls are attached by means of foot long bolts that go all the way through the frame, engine and out to the pegs on the other side; if you want to work on the gear linkage, rear brake cable/linkage (both of which need regular adjustment and lubing btw) or take the exhaust header off you have to deal with that bs. The battery uses a variation on the much-maligned vcr layout sportster owners are familiar with, where you have to hook up the negative wire AFTER putting the battery in the hole.

But that's nothing on the engine. They incessantly leak oil from a stupid bung seal in the head, from the head gasket, the base gasket and probably other places I haven't seen. The head studs periodically just come loose on their own. So what, it's a tractor simple air cooled thumper right? Just whip the head off and throw some $80 gaskets at it. Surprise! The frame won't give you enough space to take the head off over the studs, gotta pull the engine.

Don't get me wrong, they will putter along forever and ever and are very dependable that way. But they are still a bike designed in the 80's with an engine rooted in the 70's and contrary to popular belief, those were not the good old days. They are inordinately difficult to work on in relation to what you actually get from the machine, compared to an ex250 where everything is easy and you get a whole lot more refinement, reliability, longevity everything really. If you have to pay to get your bike fixed, this stuff matters.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Reliability (supposedly) improved a lot when Piaggio stepped in and overhauled their QC.
I have the V7 iii racer (as pictured above) and it does everything I need it to. It carries me to work and on rides to the mountains in the weekends.
It's fast enough on the highway and it's nimble enough in traffic and twisty roads. Sure I'm far from scraping my knees on the ground, but it's fun to ride, fairly comfortable.

Is there a consensus on that among owners? I was an idiot who bought a boutique Italian bike (MV 800) in my first year of riding, and that cost me over $8k down the line. The thing broke down way too often and I took a big hit selling it. I would caution beginners to stay the gently caress away from smaller brands until they feel very comfortable with what's what and know exactly what they are getting into. Even if money is not a concern, waiting for weeks to have one's bike fixed is a lovely ownership experience.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Just don't get a Virago as they're a poo poo bike mechanically.

So just coming back round to this, what do you mean poo poo? poo poo like poo poo to work on, or poo poo like "sometimes won't start" or poo poo like this poo poo is dangerous? Because round here they come up real loving cheap.

Also booked my pre-learner course for later this month so yeah this poo poo is happening one way or another.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

So just coming back round to this, what do you mean poo poo? poo poo like poo poo to work on, or poo poo like "sometimes won't start" or poo poo like this poo poo is dangerous? Because round here they come up real loving cheap.

Also booked my pre-learner course for later this month so yeah this poo poo is happening one way or another.

They are an utter pain to work on and maintain if things start going wrong. They are the worst when it comes to handling. The two I rode exhibited the same behavior of being really lazy to lean and turn in until suddenly it wasn't. I thought it had squared off tires. The bike geometry is crap with regards to the drive line and is the only bike I've ever experienced "shaft jacking" on. When you let off and get back on the throttle it's a toss up of whether all of the drive components are where they need to be, and the whole bike feels like it's humping up and down. This is exacerbated by worn out components, and cheap Viragos are worn out Viragos.

If you like the cruiser styling and want to stick with Yamaha, get a V-Star 650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

They are an utter pain to work on and maintain if things start going wrong. They are the worst when it comes to handling. The two I rode exhibited the same behavior of being really lazy to lean and turn in until suddenly it wasn't. I thought it had squared off tires. The bike geometry is crap with regards to the drive line and is the only bike I've ever experienced "shaft jacking" on. When you let off and get back on the throttle it's a toss up of whether all of the drive components are where they need to be, and the whole bike feels like it's humping up and down. This is exacerbated by worn out components, and cheap Viragos are worn out Viragos.

If you like the cruiser styling and want to stick with Yamaha, get a V-Star 650.

All this plus they have, for a cruiser, a pointlessly complicated and fragile engine. And they're impossible to get parts for now.

The only exception to this is the Virago 250 which is a foine foine bike but comes with the usual 250 cruiser penalty of being brutally slow.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nothing to do with wanting a Yamaha specifically, just wondering what was wrong with what looks like a popular bike near here.

Two more questions and I promise I'll shut up for a bit.

1: They apparently don't sell rebel 300s in this country but a lightly used 500 might be just inside my budget. Too much bike?

2: Every month or two I need to drive to the city, which is about 700km round trip. How bad's that gonna be to ride? It's mostly highway, mostly divided, mostly good roads, and I usually just go to the suburbs rather than the urban part.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing to do with wanting a Yamaha specifically, just wondering what was wrong with what looks like a popular bike near here.

Two more questions and I promise I'll shut up for a bit.

1: They apparently don't sell rebel 300s in this country but a lightly used 500 might be just inside my budget. Too much bike?

2: Every month or two I need to drive to the city, which is about 700km round trip. How bad's that gonna be to ride? It's mostly highway, mostly divided, mostly good roads, and I usually just go to the suburbs rather than the urban part.

That bike is perfect for learning and is in no way too much or too big. The cc numbers aren't as important as other less easily understood stuff, rest assured that's still a suitably easy slow bike.

That distance might demand getting a bead seat or something just for comfort's sake. Learner bikes across the board don't tend to have hugely luxurious seats but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m having a very hard time not being afraid of wide open throttle and high revs. Granted it’s like my .. second week on the bike just now.

Once I hit 9k I tend to roll off instinctively because I’m like “hella, no machine should be making that noise :ohdear:

I think this week I’m going to start practicing working my way up to highway speeds.