Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

black cat hacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

black cat hacker

ayyyyye

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

in your PMs.

e: of course, if the 4-second timing misses anything critical, or is a frame too late or something, just give me a list and i will manually pull frames as needed.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 6, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

black cat hacker

:3:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
we think it's really unfair that people would think that the ios exploits were used for widespread monitoring of people everywhere. the exploits against our shockingly negligent code were actually only used for widespread monitoring of a persecuted ethnic minority, so what's the big deal?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so do we think they'll ever clarify their statement or just shitpost and run

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and that ethnic minority doesn’t even manufacture iPhones, so what use are they really?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

Is the joke that that already exists? https://github.com/cloudflare/boringtun

no, the joke is that it was already linked in this discussion

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lain Iwakura posted:

eh screw it

https://twitter.com/HackerMovieBot/status/1170021834592440320

i am pairing random movie screenshots (really just anti-trust and hackers for now) with random infosec headlines

it's hit and miss on what it generates but it will get better as i start to put more images into the bot

love this idea, looking forward to seeing what comes out :)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Krankenstyle posted:

love this idea, looking forward to seeing what comes out :)

i'm transcoding down hacker movies into MJPEG as we speak to help lamo

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i liked this hot take

quote:

This upends pretty much everything we know about iPhone hacking. We believed that it was hard. We believed that effective zero-day exploits cost $2M or $3M, and were used sparingly by governments only against high-value targets. We believed that if an exploit was used too frequently, it would be quickly discovered and patched.

None of that is true here. This operation used fourteen zero-days exploits. It used them indiscriminately. And it remained undetected for two years. (I waited before posting this because I wanted to see if someone would rebut this story, or explain it somehow.)

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/09/massive_iphone_.html

Is there any organization project zero can't elicit a clueless and butthurt email from?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Boiled Water posted:

i can't see myself even coming close to being as rigorous as airplane software engineers. I'm closer to like tesla levels of competence, while if nothing else being aware that i'm terrible

i was thinking more in terms of the amount of fucks given by each party

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

xtal posted:

Is the joke that that already exists? https://github.com/cloudflare/boringtun

Subjunctive posted:

no, the joke is that it was already linked in this discussion

the actual joke is that i didn't see this in the four thrilling pages of wireguardchat

also gently mocking the "write it in rust" crew while simultaneously alluding to rust's potential to avoid entire classes of vulnerabilities - per the earlier discussion

also subtly questioning the decision to write such a critical component as a kernel module, although i'm sure they had a good reason performance. it's always performance

gosh, what an elegant and multifaceted post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hmm i tried to ssh into a NAS and it said

quote:

Unable to negotiate with 192.168.0.14 port 22: no matching cipher found. Their offer: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc

are these poo poo? i can log in via the web interface and gently caress around with it if i need to add something to the config, pls help :shobon:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

as a company that just sold $7 billion bux o debt to a massive crowd of buyers, let's put out this dumb statement that will keep this noise in the news that would have otherwise been forgotten yesterday

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

and beside from the reasons they’d maybe have been better off not writing a open reply letter, they also just framed it so stupid

great job, Tim

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

also subtly questioning the decision to write such a critical component as a kernel module, although i'm sure they had a good reason performance. it's always performance

yeah performance is basicallly the enemy of security

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah performance is basicallly the enemy of security

well that’s ... certainly a take. do you carefully avoid any software that uses hardware accelerated aes?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

well that’s ... certainly a take. do you carefully avoid any software that uses hardware accelerated aes?

lmao no, I use whatever, I know it's all bad, and not giving a gently caress is expedient

security isn't the goal of computing either, it's a name for a collection of services that we expect computers to provide while doing what we want them to

I guess if I was being more complete I'd say that an uncompromising pursuit of performance is the enemy of security

like how trying to make encryption go fast in software often leads to weird cache issues that allow sensitive information disclosure by measuring timing of power usage

like every time-of-check/time-of-use vulnerability works

like programming in C

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

an isa needs to be at least 20 years old before you can use it for secure applications, and every vuln increases the timer by 5 years. this means you're allowed to use...a 6502, and before meltdown/spectre a 386 in protected mode. that means no hardware aes, sorry

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I guess if I was being more complete I'd say that an uncompromising pursuit of performance is the enemy of security

this is a correct take

but serious security design does always put a high value on performance. like crypt algorithms (with some very specific exceptions, like password hashing) generally try to be as fast as possible. and that’s for a good reason: if people have to choose between fast and secure, they’ll make dumb decisions.

(like trying to include null cipher suites “for when you don’t need security”, oh whoops there was a downgrade attack in the protocol welp)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Too bad that's been the sole focus for our industry for decades and decades now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

hmm i tried to ssh into a NAS and it said

are these poo poo? i can log in via the web interface and gently caress around with it if i need to add something to the config, pls help :shobon:
They're disabled by default because they aren't secure but you can try ssh -c aes256-cbc 192.168.0.14 or edit the configuration to allow it by default if you need to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

black cat hacker

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

They're disabled by default because they aren't secure but you can try ssh -c aes256-cbc 192.168.0.14 or edit the configuration to allow it by default if you need to.

ah thx. -c works :)

it's all on a local wired network so I'm not super worried about hackers

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Krankenstyle posted:

ah thx. -c works :)

it's all on a local wired network so I'm not super worried about hackers

*hacker voice*

im in

side the house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

black cat hacker

a solid addition to any tiger team

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

*hacker voice*

im in

side the house

nooo00 :supaburn:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Port knocking but with blockchain

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taqueso posted:

block knocking

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Too bad that's been the sole focus for our industry for decades and decades now.

then why’s everything in JavaScript now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Port knocking worked for synful knock :smuggo:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

block knocking

Back with another one of those block knockin' beats

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

Even I'm not that sick.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

love all the replies that complain about it being released on a friday and they can't fix poo poo until monday

the patch has been out for months

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ymgve posted:

love all the replies that complain about it being released on a friday and they can't fix poo poo until monday
:getin:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sniep posted:

any shots out of those needed? (all full HD blu-ray rips, not re-encoded)

also reccos for more hacker movies welcome lol

so I just watched The Net on lunch at work . It was as much of a computer hacking movie as Jurassic Park was.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Enemy of the State might have some good screenshots in the Faraday cage office

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

any shots out of those needed? (all full HD blu-ray rips, not re-encoded)

also reccos for more hacker movies welcome lol

enemy of the state and mercury rising come to mind but those are more evil nsa films than hacking films

edit: fb

that cage would be perfect to include

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Captain Foo posted:

Enemy of the State might have some good screenshots in the Faraday cage office

I don't have it tagged as a "hacker" movie but I have enemy of the state, can rip

Partycat posted:

so I just watched The Net on lunch at work . It was as much of a computer hacking movie as Jurassic Park was.

i cant remember the last time ive seen it

the plex description of the movie is loving lmao. written by like a 4th grader as a movie report.

quote:

Angela Bennett is a freelance software engineer who lives in a world of computer technology. When a cyber friend asks Bennett to debug a new game, she inadvertently becomes involved in a conspiracy that will soon turn her life upside down. While on vacation in Mexico, her purse is stolen. She soon finds that people and events may not be what they seem as she becomes the target of an assassination. Her vacation is ruined. She gets a new passport at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico but it has the wrong name, Ruth Marx. When she returns to the U.S. to sort things out, she discovers that Ruth Marx has an unsavory past and a lengthy police record. To make matters worse, another person has assumed her real identity ...

amazing.

Her vacation is ruined.