Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think I might have a new thread title

Either "Popo's Bizzare Adventure: Astral Chain" or flipping it, "Astral Chain: Popo's Bizzare Adventure"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anime
Cops
'Ave
Booty

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Popo's Bizarre Adventure was the first thread title, I prefer the one we have now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This game feels so good when you start getting a real grasp on the mechanics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

chumbler posted:

This game feels so good when you start getting a real grasp on the mechanics.

Then you start Pt. Ultimate and get loving destroyed during the tutorial combat mission in file 03.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Are there any crazy Japanese youtubers uploading combo mad vids yet

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

And question for after the credits roll
Is there a actual ending in Case 12 or is it just the free roam thing I heard about? Can't start it right now but uh, chose not to kill my bro and boy that was abrupt and not satisfying.

Actually the hell happened to Kyle? I saved him from his angry friends and he vanished from the plot entirely. I kept expecting him to re-enter to take revenge for his men against Yoseph or Jena but no he just leaves the plot.

You'll get answers to both of these in the literal opening of File 12.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tip for anyone like me who somehow realize it unitl now, but the zandatsus will sometimes have a prompt that you can sync attack on. I don't know what bonus it actually does, but it's there. I am guessing extra duty points?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Call it 'Astral Chain: Anime Cops And Booty'

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Astral Chain And Booty

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Question about the stealth sections in C6, can I not get a good rank if I actually do those stealthily?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I managed an S in one but you have to be very fast.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can get an S+ by just not getting caught and wrapping up everyone who gets in your way. Maybe save item collection for after you get your grade for a higher time bonus

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

chumbler posted:

Tip for anyone like me who somehow realize it unitl now, but the zandatsus will sometimes have a prompt that you can sync attack on. I don't know what bonus it actually does, but it's there. I am guessing extra duty points?

extra gene codes I think

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm at the second half of the first stealth section and I feel like I missed a tutorial somewhere. There are two guards standing right in the middle of where I need to go and I can't get them to move, and I can't get in range to bind them without being spotted. What am I missing?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Do a chain bind on both of them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

send your legion up while you're out of sight, you don't need the ZL prompt to wrap them

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Random guy starts throwing punches at me, tie him with my legion and end the fight in 10 seconds.

Rank C. Alright game, what do you want from me?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As much as I love good boy his running sections are awful.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Leal posted:

Random guy starts throwing punches at me, tie him with my legion and end the fight in 10 seconds.

Rank C. Alright game, what do you want from me?

Probably don't get hit, that's worth half an S+ rank on its own.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Probably don't get hit, that's worth half an S+ rank on its own.

Now that was bullshit, cause the guy goes "YOU CAN'T ARREST MY WAIFU" and just instantly kicks you. I'm not ready to restart the entire mission to see if mashing dodge will let me avoid that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Leal posted:

Now that was bullshit, cause the guy goes "YOU CAN'T ARREST MY WAIFU" and just instantly kicks you. I'm not ready to restart the entire mission to see if mashing dodge will let me avoid that.

You can always parry. Or do the other thing that gets a lot of points. swapping legions and varying moves.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I’m basically done with the game including Ultimate and I STILL have no idea how this game awards ranks outside “don’t get hit”.

First time I played it, I just wanted to get through that second motorcycle mission as fast as possible so I ended up face tanking a ton of damage and dying a few times.

I got to final form Jena with one battery left and no healing items so I game over a few times while using every consumable/battery restore I had on me since I didn’t want to replay the motorcycle part.

Finally beat her.

S+ :cop:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Leathal posted:

I’m basically done with the game including Ultimate and I STILL have no idea how this game awards ranks outside “don’t get hit”.

First time I played it, I just wanted to get through that second motorcycle mission as fast as possible so I ended up face tanking a ton of damage and dying a few times.

I got to final form Jena with one battery left and no healing items so I game over a few times while using every consumable/battery restore I had on me since I didn’t want to replay the motorcycle part.

Finally beat her.

S+ :cop:

There are two main parameters for the ranking system.

1) How fast you do the fight
2) How many mechanics (legion variety, sync attacks, perfect calls, skills, items, etc.) you use

In fact, damage does not play a role in the ranking system. This means you can eat poo poo for the entire fight, but as long as you use as many of the mechanics as you can you'll get good ranks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What does a game over in this game entail anyway? Full chapter reset or just restarting the fight you're on?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So a reminder for the people struggling with Blade mode and like "How the gently caress does this thing work" The direction you hold the left stick before you push the button to enter Blade Mode, is the direction the cut will start in.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

...not a fan of file 8's side missions.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What does a game over in this game entail anyway? Full chapter reset or just restarting the fight you're on?

Restarting the fight you're on.

Even so, Pt Ultimate still seems ridiculous to me. I touched a flame outside battle and it brought me down to 1 HP from full health. Can't imagine how frustrating it is fighting fire enemies on Pt Ultimate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so am i supposed to feel like a complete bumbling dipshit in case 2

my character's lack of mobility combined with the legion's unpredictable automatic-attack patterns means that i don't seem to have any way of out-maneuvering or countering enemies aside from the chain counter

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

my character's lack of mobility combined with the legion's unpredictable automatic-attack patterns means that i don't seem to have any way of out-maneuvering or countering enemies aside from the chain counter

kinda yea, you get a lot more options in case 3

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, the games combat system doesn't seriously start to open until File 03, you even get a bunch of new combat tutorials.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Was I missing something for the File 6 boss or was the solution for the final phase of the fight really just "plink away with your pistol until you win?"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chain counter

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ChaosArgate posted:

Was I missing something for the File 6 boss or was the solution for the final phase of the fight really just "plink away with your pistol until you win?"

You're supposed to do the thing that you do against every other charging enemy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

You're supposed to do the thing that you do against every other charging enemy.

......gently caress, well don’t I feel like a moron. :downs:

The scoring system is lenient enough that I somehow got an S+ on that fight despite me horsing around for so long at the end so I was really confused about what I was actually meant to do.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The File 4 fight against the Arm Nemesis sucked rear end. The camera in this game is not good enough to keep track of the sticky puddles and the boss at the same time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

The File 4 fight against the Arm Nemesis sucked rear end. The camera in this game is not good enough to keep track of the sticky puddles and the boss at the same time

Did that fight earlier today and my lord that was frustrating. Here is a boss who has an attack where there is a constant AOE around them, and if you get hit by it you'll get flung around. And there are sticky puddles everywhere. That will keep you from dodging when you step into it. And if I didn't get knocked into the goo, I was always getting stunned. Cue me getting juggled.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No boss in the game is as bullshit as sliding block puzzles. Also ice cream and boxes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just got to File 5 and I'm disappointed that the cats in Max's Safehouse don't run away when you go see them dressed as Lappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
file 3 cerberus fight:

"do you have perfect call? do you know how to use it? you don't? oh no. oh nooooooooo"