Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you're still building plasmids then reset before space

get as many soldiers and people and spend as much knowledge as you feel not-bored doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Meskhenet posted:

Oh man, im gimped by titanium and the space materials >< im thinking of self destructing.

How far in space do i need to get to reset?

I think eventually it's 350k knowledge cap?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rynoto posted:

Yeah GPS sats are hilariously bad. You do want normal science sats though as they give a bunch of cap.

I wish profitability played a part in buy prices instead of just sell. Once you're in space (albeit with a bunch of saved up plasmids) you're swimming in cash so most of your trade routes are already taken up buying Iridium/He3. You're more resource-locked than money-locked, especially after investing in the ARPA Stock Market a bunch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oodles posted:

in Alkahistorian, how do I get the stages after the PureEarth/Fire/Water/Air?

I've still got a few question marks around for upgrades, but none are glowing blue. Except my masonry, and I can't think that'll help.

It's actually pretty hard for me to describe what happened in my game after I got my Air plants up and running. Things just cascaded too quick. Try turning all your stuff on at once maybe?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
In NGU Idle, I can handle the Greasy Nerd up to normal without issue, but I'm sort of stymied as to how I get on to the next level of adventure stats. Help?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

SettingSun posted:

It's actually pretty hard for me to describe what happened in my game after I got my Air plants up and running. Things just cascaded too quick. Try turning all your stuff on at once maybe?

I hopped into their discord and posted my savelog, turns out I hadn’t completed my cold side. I’m all good now.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Oodles posted:

I hopped into their discord and posted my savelog, turns out I hadn’t completed my cold side. I’m all good now.

If somebody else is having trouble, start your superconducting coolant reaction by dragging the slider all the way to the left. After you finish all the plants you should be able to produce 150 energy. Then the unlocks cascaded in for me. It's the only time I've needed to touch a slider so far.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Lufia posted:

If somebody else is having trouble, start your superconducting coolant reaction by dragging the slider all the way to the left. After you finish all the plants you should be able to produce 150 energy. Then the unlocks cascaded in for me. It's the only time I've needed to touch a slider so far.

I had disabled the gale and Chryospire reactions, once I re-enabled them it snowballed and now I’ve completed it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game considering it’s free.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alkahistorian:

I have everything in the garden area unlocked but I can't figure out how to start a self-sustaining production loop

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Alkahistorian:

I have everything in the garden area unlocked but I can't figure out how to start a self-sustaining production loop

Have you got the three options for each element? Don’t use the middle one yet, as that burns down your plant. Have you unlocked all the levels of the mixer?

You could PM me your savelog and I can have a look at it. If you press CTRL-C in the window it copies the code.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oodles posted:

Have you got the three options for each element? Don’t use the middle one yet, as that burns down your plant. Have you unlocked all the levels of the mixer?

You could PM me your savelog and I can have a look at it. If you press CTRL-C in the window it copies the code.

No, I haven't gotten the mixer fully upgraded yet, so I can't run it except in short bursts

But I do have all three options for each element

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AlmightyPants posted:

In NGU Idle, I can handle the Greasy Nerd up to normal without issue, but I'm sort of stymied as to how I get on to the next level of adventure stats. Help?

I'm on Hard Greasy Nerd right now working towards Brutal, the jump from Normal > Hard was not too bad but he's still kicking my rear end on Brutal even after a 24h fruit harvest. I think generally you want to make sure all your gear is maxed (Nerd set or better), you're running NGU's (both Normal and Evil), consistently pumping Adv. Training through your runs, getting your gold/s built up so you can afford more Digger levels, and if you haven't been working on the Adv. Boost for Rich Perks yet this is about the time I started working on it (at 750/1000 as of the time of this post). You've also got Hacks starting to become a bigger focus now so I've been using EXP to pump my R3 Pow/Cap so I can dump more points into the Adv Stats Hack.

There's pretty much something in every category to be working on that will gradually build you to the next level but it will definitely take time. I was able to just barely grind out some gear in the Interdimensional Party at the tail end of a 24h run so I spent some time building that gear up which I think is my next big step to get closer to beating v4.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

No, I haven't gotten the mixer fully upgraded yet, so I can't run it except in short bursts

But I do have all three options for each element

What’s the required element for getting it to the next stage? Focus on getting that. If you need to have an aksplosion that’s fine, but make sure that you’re only making the essence and distilled element you need. That way it’s as efficient for you.

I found fire a total bitch, as you need blast/blaze for the element but I found I couldn’t generate enough coal, and couldn’t afford to use my fire to make coal.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
For all the plants, I babysat the planters one at a time. First to get one unit of pureEssence(Elem) to upgrade the mixer, and then to get one unit of pure(Elem) to upgrade your basic element makers. After that, getting more seeds ups your production of plants, and when you have enough stockpiled you get into a stable production loop, so you can just alternate using the second and third options in the planters to reach that stage. And your garden should be turned off eventually as well.

And for the fire plants, I'd stockpile my essenceF and then just fire up Blast to make a bunch of seeds at once. I think you can just turn off Blaze completely for that part?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oodles posted:

What’s the required element for getting it to the next stage? Focus on getting that. If you need to have an aksplosion that’s fine, but make sure that you’re only making the essence and distilled element you need. That way it’s as efficient for you.

I found fire a total bitch, as you need blast/blaze for the element but I found I couldn’t generate enough coal, and couldn’t afford to use my fire to make coal.

PureEarth, I think.

I definitely just made some other progress, but I'm not sure what it got me yet, lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Holy cow, I just read that Candy Box 2 was made by a 19 year old. That's a lot of talent at 19 :stare: Every single feature feels well thought out and complete

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

I wish profitability played a part in buy prices instead of just sell. Once you're in space (albeit with a bunch of saved up plasmids) you're swimming in cash so most of your trade routes are already taken up buying Iridium/He3. You're more resource-locked than money-locked, especially after investing in the ARPA Stock Market a bunch.

I mean you can still basically market your way to victory right up until you need to build the ship. The only valuable resource you can't just buy is Neutronium so the last leg of the game is spent buying every other resource to boost neutronium output.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Mendrian posted:

I mean you can still basically market your way to victory right up until you need to build the ship. The only valuable resource you can't just buy is Neutronium so the last leg of the game is spent buying every other resource to boost neutronium output.

I don't think I've run manual market in ages

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In Alkahistorian, is the entire point of the weird top circle to shuffle resources around to produce Time to feed into the Rabbit Hole? Only thing I've seen that needs anything from it is in the Garden section where the Air chain of things needs Space, but that's it so far.

E: Also is there any way to make it so Space doesn't take incredibly long to get? I need 1e6 space and I'm looking at waiting like... probably a couple weeks before I can actually do that.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 9, 2019

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Magres posted:

In Alkahistorian, is the entire point of the weird top circle to shuffle resources around to produce Time to feed into the Rabbit Hole? Only thing I've seen that needs anything from it is in the Garden section where the Air chain of things needs Space, but that's it so far.

E: Also is there any way to make it so Space doesn't take incredibly long to get? I need 1e6 space and I'm looking at waiting like... probably a couple weeks before I can actually do that.

I had to look that issue up myself. I forgot that increasing Spacial increases the rate of space gain. So turn off everything in that small top circle but spacial gains for awhile, then turn on the spacial (it depletes space) and watch your space go much quicker. You can run both at the same time, and they have a feedback loop that will grow. I left them both running before going in to work, and I expect to find both maxed when I get back to the game.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Magres posted:

Some of the more end game stuff requires the folded items. If you get to about 1e7 Space, that’ll do most of the upgrades.

I had to look it up, but the rabbit hole works as the “offline time”, so if you close the browser =hen you accumulate time and then you can spend that to increase your tick speed.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm not very far into Alkahistorian, but I seem to be stuck. The Void engine just unlocked, which takes sand and steam to do its thing. I have both. It's not making anything though.

The Steam engine also seems do just be sitting there, even though both reactions are turned on and it has loads of resources. I can't find anything that uses steam that's still turned on. What's going on?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You only have 14.51 steam, and that reaction requires a minimum of 45 in order to run. You'll need to produce more steam.

If your steam producer is not making anything even if all its inputs are satisfied, you might be output-capped - often this means you'll need to look elsewhere until you've got a steam recipe with a high enough output cap.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

OK, so why is this one not making more steam?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Merijn posted:

OK, so why is this one not making more steam?

Because it has a max output of 1.2

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Because it has a max output of 1.2

And you currently have 14.51 steam, so it can’t make any more.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Well, that sucks. I need 45 steam, but can only produce 1.2. I guess there's supposed to be a locked recipe somewhere that can make more steam.

Thanks for the explanation guys.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

Well, that sucks. I need 45 steam, but can only produce 1.2. I guess there's supposed to be a locked recipe somewhere that can make more steam.

Thanks for the explanation guys.

that's what the blue outline around forceful conversion is telling you, click the up arrow to see what you need to upgrade steam

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A lot of the trick to the game (including that particular section) is to know when to turn certain recipes that are over-consuming some resource off, to allow the recipes that produce the resource to build it up enough for XYZ.

This might allow you to unlock a new/better recipe, or at least let your resources stockpile enough that some more-efficient recipe can kick in (where the more-efficient recipe can sustain what you want to spend but the less-efficient recipe cannot).

Of course, then it gets trickier when sometimes you also need the benefits of the recipes you turned off (Blaze :argh:) but that's generally solvable by stockpiling prerequisite ingredients in the recipe chain in advance.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

that's what the blue outline around forceful conversion is telling you, click the up arrow to see what you need to upgrade steam

The blue outline seems to mean 'you've never run this recipe' instead of 'there's an upgrade' because I triple-checked that all upgrades were purchased. I got a bit further but now there's 4 recipe upgrades that I can't buy because the cost is just over the max output of each recipe. The game is pretty bad at communicating to you what needs to happen. :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Merijn posted:

The blue outline seems to mean 'you've never run this recipe' instead of 'there's an upgrade' because I triple-checked that all upgrades were purchased. I got a bit further but now there's 4 recipe upgrades that I can't buy because the cost is just over the max output of each recipe. The game is pretty bad at communicating to you what needs to happen. :(

I feel like "what needs to happen next" is exactly 100% of the gameplay of Alkahistorian (as with most idle games)

Alkahistorian's differentiator is that the answer is rarely "wait a while", it's usually "fiddle with the right knob"

The mark of a good idle game is that you feel smart for fiddling the knob just right, and then waiting a little while before you have enough resource to fiddle some more, so you're not just clicking upgrades at random.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Merijn posted:

I'm not very far into Alkahistorian, but I seem to be stuck. The Void engine just unlocked, which takes sand and steam to do its thing. I have both. It's not making anything though.

The Steam engine also seems do just be sitting there, even though both reactions are turned on and it has loads of resources. I can't find anything that uses steam that's still turned on. What's going on?

This is pretty much where I quit too. Seemingly everything needs Void but Void needs more Steam and Steam won't produce past a certain value and gently caress it, it's not worth the frustration.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's why there are those handy lasers that show where steam is flowing to. Find that and make it stop flowing.

One important thing about the early tier 2 elements is that you cannot produce all of them at once - their recipes consume one to make another but they run at a net loss. So figure out which specific ones you want, turn on the recipes that make them, and turn off any other recipes that use them.

Barring that, some things require a minimum value in order to really produce effectively, and if some other recipes drag it below the minimum then your production tanks. Again, solution is to find whatever's draining it, tell it to knock it off a bit, and let your resource stockpile first.

Merijn posted:

The blue outline seems to mean 'you've never run this recipe' instead of 'there's an upgrade' because I triple-checked that all upgrades were purchased.

There's a lighter-blue outline for "you have this unlocked but have never actually used it" and a darker blue outline for "you're close to unlocking this, and can get the resource high enough to do so, but you haven't actually gotten it high enough to make it highlight purple for you to be able to unlock". For example in your void screenshot earlier, the void recipe has the lighter outline and the steam recipe has the darker outline.

Same strategy applies: find what resource you need, find what makes it, turn that on and turn off everything that's draining either it or its main ingredient for something you don't give a poo poo about.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I do wish there was an easy way to click on a resource node, and then see everywhere that is using it. It has a little bit of that in the first circle, but then now that I'm in the farther rings it gets really confusing to keep track of what uses what.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Watch the laser show, specifically the lasers starting from the node in question and with their dots flowing away from it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks, I'll pay more attention to the lasers. Maybe there's a second engine that produces ingredient x, so I can push it above the regular max and get that upgrade.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Check the second steam producer in your steam engine (Forceful Steam Conversion). That will likely have the higher maximum.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Alkahistorian was pretty awesome, enjoyed it a lot. I got a bit stuck at two parts, the first having to do with the last part of the coolant section, and the second being the spacial loop.

I hope he makes some more!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Considering how much the games increased in scope going from #1 to #2 to #3 a potential #4 will probably be nearly insurmountable

EDIT: When can i start ditching respawn gear in NGU?
Currently farming exile v2, have all PP on the first page, getting 3,1PP per kill.
The respawn gear is starting to look bad compared to some of the latter acessories e.g. A6 pendant

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
#4 already exists, you already have the recipes, go out and become a real like Alkahistorian.