Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

Finger Prince posted:

I finally found the proper word describing these breaded meat filled crepes my grandma used to make: Paszteciki naleśnikowe. I only knew them as paszteciki (pronounced "pastechiki"), but apparently that's a different polish food and it's caused me years of confusion.
Anyway basically you make crepes (keep them very pale, don't let them get browned like normal french crepes), then you fill them with a ground meat and fried onions mixture, fold them into a little pillow, then coat them in egg and breadcrumbs and pan fry them, and eat them with borscht or just stuff your drat face with them because they're so gooooood.
The best way to do the meat that my grandma did was to use leftover roast beef and mince that up before frying it with diced onions, but you can do it however. Season the meat with salt and probably pepper.
I highly recommend making these if you have the opportunity, and I'm going to do some soon I think.

This sounds delicious!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

So I bought twenty pounds of hatch green chillies and I'm roasting them right now while drinking a cold beer and, well,I don't like to brag, but

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

So I bought twenty pounds of hatch green chillies and I'm roasting them right now while drinking a cold beer and, well,I don't like to brag, but

whatcha gonna do with all them chilies?

ty nesamdoom!

Scaly Haylie

could someone recommend a good fish bake recipe for a beginner?

poverty goat

Season fish with salt and pepper, maybe some fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon. Broil until the fish is flaky throughout

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

whatcha gonna do with all them chilies?

Well obviously green Chile enchiladas but I'm roasted a bunch to make Chile for winter because we eat it over eggs. My vegan Chile is delicious.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

My vegan Chile is delicious.

recipes always appreciated!!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

Season fish with salt and pepper, maybe some fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon. Broil until the fish is flaky throughout

in addition to this, it depends a little on the type of fish you are looking at

salmon bakes real easy, it is a forgiving fish with all that fat.

for more delicate fish, a good way to do them in the oven is in parchment. you make up a little packet with the fish and flavorings (e.g. herbs, citrus zest, olives, what have you), seal it up, bake for the prescribed time, bam it's easy and really good (never too dry).

I have made this recipe a bunch of times:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fish-fillets-with-tomatoes-and-olives-in-parchment-10410

works well also with tilapia, I imagine you could use many sorts of fish with it

ty nesamdoom!

Poise
bRo make your own hotsauce with them chiles. I did it a couple years ago and it pretty much boils down to (heh) sauteeing them chiles and blending them up with some vinegars and salt and spices of your choosing, I will dig back into my notes and try to update.

The last time I did this I made a batch of red hot sauce using red chiles and red jalapenos that was so good I was extremely reluctant to use it and it went bad after like 4 months... I flew too high on wings of wax and paper :sigh:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FutonForensic

Poise posted:

The last time I did this I made a batch of red hot sauce using red chiles and red jalapenos that was so good I was extremely reluctant to use it and it went bad after like 4 months... I flew too high on wings of wax and paper :sigh:

i know this feeling. made a sauce out of a bunch of thai ornamental peppers last summer. motherfuckers were so hot i only needed to use a couple drops into anything I was cooking.

FutonForensic

i've still been making recipes out of the america's test kitchen cookbook and i have to recommend it again: https://amzn.to/2YLNZEL

I have the 2014 edition so the format of the latest might be different, but it has tons of really practical recipes, covering everything from roasts, sauces, sides, desserts, fry-ups, breads, good poo poo.

used it earlier today to make whole roast chicken, not something i'd normally make on a weeknight
  1. soaked a roaster chicken (giblets removed) in 2 quarts of water, plus 1/2 cup each of salt and sugar for brining. brined & refrigerated 1 hour
  2. preheated oven to 400F. put the tray part of a v-rack roasting tray into the oven as it warmed up, kept the rack itself out.
  3. positioned the bird on the rack and tucked the wings behind the back. spread 2 tbsp of softened butter beneath the breast skin
  4. coated the bird with 2 tbsp olive oil and a coating of ground pepper
  5. placed bird on rack into tray in oven, breast-side up, cooked for 15 minutes
  6. rotated bird to face backside up (the book instructs to use "wads of paper towels" to hold the bird while rotating, but I found it to easier to grip the bird with a pair of sturdy tongs up the cavity and flip it). roast for another 15 minutes
  7. flip the bird one more time, back to breast-side up. roast 20-25 minutes
  8. remove bird from oven and check temperature of breast and thigh meat for doneness. let rest for minimum 10 minutes before carving

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 6, 2019

poverty goat

Lizard Wizard posted:

could someone recommend a good fish bake recipe for a beginner?

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roast-fish-with-curry-butter

poverty goat

i made those serious eats beer waffles this morning w/ irish butter, brown sugar and stella and they were pretty much perfect, at least for chemically leavened waffles thrown together at cook time

also I was looking at that artisan waffle blog and this dude has been busy

liquid brioche waffles
this one replaces all oil in the recipe with almond oil
cornbread waffles???
gingerbread waffles :aaaaa:
yeast-risen buttermilk waffles

i need to make more waffles i guess

ive posted it before but just to complete my waffle sperg here's his liege waffle recipe. if you've never had a liege waffle they're more of a heavy dessert than a breakfast item, and they're amazing

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

poverty goat posted:

ive posted it before but just to complete my waffle sperg here's his liege waffle recipe. if you've never had a liege waffle they're more of a heavy dessert than a breakfast item, and they're amazing

quote:

As a final note, for the truly obsessive, who happen to have access to a flour mill and bolting equipment, you can get even deeper into these waffle with my fresh flour version of the recipe. That’s how I make them, these days.

love this stuff

jeffery
you probably walk away from the farming stuff until you have a lot of time on your hands

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

poverty goat

wait, you mean you guys don't even grow your own wheat? :yikes:

poverty goat

I forgot that that version of the waffle recipe was so obtuse and found the old version on his old waffle blog

https://liegewaffle.wordpress.com/liege-waffle-recipe-liege-gaufre-recette/

Escape From Noise

I like to use this site for Indian curry and other foods. It's a really good resource on understanding Indian recipes, ingredients, and techniques. Plus it's light on backstory food blog BS and you can calculate volume on the site.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/

Finger Prince

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I like to use this site for Indian curry and other foods. It's a really good resource on understanding Indian recipes, ingredients, and techniques. Plus it's light on backstory food blog BS and you can calculate volume on the site.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/

Nice, I can never get the flavour right when I try to make a curry. It's never close to restaurant flavour. I know one secret is msg, but I read one recipe from the head chef of a posh hotel in India and realized I'm using like a 10th the amount of aromatics I should be. I'm going to try this at some point: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/ and yeah, 6 cloves of garlic, 1" piece of ginger, 1/2 cup of finely diced onions, plus all the whole spices - that's a lot of flavour! Looking forward to trying it.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 25, 2019

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Nice, I can never get the flavour right when I try to make a curry. It's never close to restaurant flavour. I know one secret is mag, but I read one recipe from the head chef of a posh hotel in India and realized I'm using like a 10th the amount of aromatics I should be. I'm going to try this at some point: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-makhani-restaurant-style-recipe/ and yeah, 6 cloves of garlic, 1" piece of ginger, 1/2 cup of finely diced onions, plus all the whole spices - that's a lot of flavour! Looking forward to trying it.

I definitely also realized frying the cumin and mustard seed had a huge impact. Also cooking basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt.

Finger Prince

https://i.imgur.com/HYrNBZD.gifv

poverty goat

Also cooking basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt.

one of my great breakthroughs in indian cooking was the realization that great aged basmati rice from pakistan is better and cheaper by the pound in a 10 pound sack from the indian grocery store than any of the garbage basmati I can buy in a white people grocery store. fallowed by the realization that a curry plant is practically a cactus from a care standpoint

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

one of my great breakthroughs in indian cooking was the realization that great aged basmati rice from pakistan is better and cheaper by the pound in a 10 pound sack from the indian grocery store than any of the garbage basmati I can buy in a white people grocery store. fallowed by the realization that a curry plant is practically a cactus from a care standpoint

Ethnic grocery stores are awesome as hell.

I've never grown a curry plant but that's super interesting.

alnilam

Oh man the local Chinese grocery (well one of them) makes their own tofu in house and sells a roughly 5x5x2" block for a quarter and it's so much better then packaged stuff you get at a supermarket for $4

ty manifisto

poverty goat

Ethnic grocery stores are awesome as hell.

I've never grown a curry plant but that's super interesting.

There's a huge omni-international market near me and it's great. They have a huge, cheap fish market, lots of great/weird produce, large quantities of every misc cow/chicken/pig part you might ever want to cook into stock, and then extensive chinese/vietnamese/japanese/korean/indian/filipino/mexican sections. My last haul included some really nice looking poblanos, fresh local spanish mackerel for $4/lb, and a big jar of furikake which might be my new poo poo :yum:

The curry plants I got on ebay because I couldn't find anything locally- be careful because some other misc inedible plants are sometimes called "curry plant" in the US. They like well-drained sandy soil, no water dish under the pot, and shouldn't be watered until the soil looks dry. They rode out that july heat wave in virginia without ever looking thirsty, even as i murdered the neighboring fenugreek and basil through neglect. I've finally started using some leaves off the smaller of the two (letting my favorite just chill and grow for now), and they're VERY flavorful and fragrant and kind of remind me of scuppernong grapes

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 26, 2019

Escape From Noise

Nice! Yeah. It's always amazing the difference in price. I remember when I was living in Chicago and was looking around for a rolling pin. The nearby Target had some latex bullshit that was like $30. Went to the nearby Mexican grocery where they had a simple wooden fat dowel with handles laythed on for maybe $5.

poverty goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAnJ4gOWZE

new life goal: make poutine from scratch

poverty goat

i made these and i think they are probably the ultimate brownies

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/print/bravetart-glossy-fudge-brownies.html

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Eat my balls. Please.

Lamb and beef kofte "meatballs" with mint, parsley, smoked paprika and ras al hanout over spinach, couscous and Bell pepper salad with spicy harissa tomato sauce and crisped pita.

It's "what the gently caress do I do with this stuff, but with spices I like instead" as riff on a plated recipe from a while back because gently caress paying that much for delivery food.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

wanna eat them balls

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Ok so recipe for my balls:

Half a pound of ground beef
Half a pound of ground lamb
One egg
Two pitas
A cup of water or milk
A large Bell pepper
Half a pound of couscous
Pot of salted water
A half pound of spinach
About 3Tbsp of harissa, divided
3-6 cloves of garlic use ten whatever IDC
One juice and zest of one lemon, divided in two
Some mint
Some parsley
Ras Al hanout, about a tbsp, divided
One 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
Kosher salt, about a 1/2tsp plus to taste
Black pepper, freshly ground like chef John

Cut your pitas into quarters, set aside 6 and break up 2 wedges in a bowl. Pour over a cup of water or milk and set it aside.

Mince your garlic and herbs, divide in two combined piles, set aside.

Dice your Bell pepper, wash and dry your spinach. Combine in bowl with half of lemon juice and zest, set aside.

Preheat your oven to 450F. Boil your salted water.

Mix in bowl: beef and lamb, egg, half of ras Al hanout, half of garlic and herb mix, half of harissa and the dialed, squeezed breadcrumb mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Dump the water or milk, you ain't need it no more.

Throw your couscous in the now boiling water, turn off and cover to let it cook and absorb the water.

Make your balls:

In a lined pan, spray or brush Olive oil on lightly. Make about 15 meatballs, maybe 16. Bake at 450F for ten minutes. Throw your pita in another pan and cook all for another 5 minutes.

Make tomato sauce:

Glug Olive oil into a sauce pan and heat over medium until it shimmers. Quickly stir in harissa and ras Al hanout to make a roux without burning, then add other half of garlic and herb mix, as well as canned tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for five to eight minutes, then turn off and finish sauce with lemon and zest to brighten.

Turn off oven, removes balls and chips. Combine hot balls with sauce; cool chips. Combine now tender couscous with spinach mixture to steam and flavor.

When wilted, serve couscous salad under balls with sauce and pita chips.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

k but for real, i'm probably just gonna reheat some curry

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

k but for real, i'm probably just gonna reheat some curry

Give me the curry and nobody gets hurt

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Ras Al Hanout from epicurious if you can't find it:

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix it all in a bag really well. It stays ok in the pantry for like six months.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

Eat my balls. Please.

Lamb and beef kofte "meatballs" with mint, parsley, smoked paprika and ras al hanout over spinach, couscous and Bell pepper salad with spicy harissa tomato sauce and crisped pita.

It's "what the gently caress do I do with this stuff, but with spices I like instead" as riff on a plated recipe from a while back because gently caress paying that much for delivery food.

sounds good, looks good, thank for recipe

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Honey balsamic glazed roasted chicken with roasted potato and spinach salad.

Heather Papps

hello friend

hamjobs posted:

Honey balsamic glazed roasted chicken with roasted potato and spinach salad.
this looks so good
\
:negative:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Potato salad:

About 2 pounds of red potatoes, washed and diced
4-6 scallions, including green tops, diced
Some :siren: MAYONNAISE :siren:
An equal part Dijon mustard
An equal part whole grain mustard
Enough Apple cider vinegar to blend to dressing
About 2 ounces of spinach, raw
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for roasting

Line a pan with foil, shiny side down, and toss taters with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 450F for twenty minutes or until tender and a little brown.

Mix together dressing while it roasts--all the scallions, vinegar, mustards, mayo, a bit of salt and pepper. Whisk it until it's blended well. Keep it out, you're going to dress the potatoes and raw spinach as soon as the potatoes come out of the oven, then refrigerate.

For the chicken:

6 chicken thighs, bone in skin on
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Pat the chicken VERY DRY. This is important, you want a crispy skin. Salt and pepper all over, skin side up, roast for 35 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the skin is brown and crispy. Drain on towel to soak up excess fat, save pan schmaltz (the fat from the chicken) for another day.

For the glaze:

Equal parts honey, balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil them reduce to a simmer while whisking in while grain mustard. Enough that you like it. Reduce for 5-8 minutes, and glaze the rested chicken as soon as you remove the reduction from heat. Rinse your pan immediately or you will be sad when you do dishes.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

hamjobs posted:

:siren: MAYONNAISE :siren:

Man ey's a lotta people in here.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted: