Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a good gin drink that would go with paella or etouffee

I wanna make paella or etouffee and I also want to get rid of 1.5 L of gin

Martini would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

THS posted:

can you expand on this? how / what does this add

It adds a sort of almost-nuttiness and generally gives a bit more of a complex flavour to your rice. You can use the whey to give sourness to your Indian gravies, or make kadhi with whey as your liquid.

You can also wash your hair in it for super softness, apparently.

And just a little tip - boil your milk and cool it to 80-85°C before adding your acid if you want a nice, firm paneer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Assuming you're not asking just to be told a simple g&t: Ramos fizz.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a good gin drink

Nope!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm still trying to get rid of extra gin from my wedding 2 years ago. I can't even give it away.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
put it in your mouth

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Depends on if you want it sweet or savory, but I'd say a sparkling shrub would be good with either one.

Welt's Cracked Pepper Shrub

1.5 oz gin
1 oz of a good vinegar*
1/4 oz simple syrup (infuse this with ginger and rosemary beforehand to make it really good)
Black Pepper or Grain of Paradise in a pepper mill, 3 or 4 good grinds (Do it to your taste, more or less)
Club Soda
Ice

Combine all ingredients except for the club soda in a shaker and shake until combined. Strain into an 8oz rocks glass that's topped up with ice, and then top that off with the club soda.

I prefer my own brand of gin I make for it, but any gin will work for this one.

* You can use a balsamic, an apple cider vinegar, or I recommend Vermont Village's blueberry and cranberry "sipping vinegars" that you can get off Amazon or at Whole Foods

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2019

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Qubee posted:

Any recommendations for simple puff pastry pies I can make alongside my own chicken and mushroom pie? Girlfriend doesn't like mushrooms so I was going to make a medium chicken and mushroom pie for myself, and then something different for her to enjoy (and me too). Just can't think of anything radically different from chicken and mushroom, yet still close enough to be easy to make alongside it.

People in Greece love it with pumpkin, grossest of veg. There’s a special kind of thick phyllo to use you could get at Greek grocers premade.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Spain's national drink, the gin-tonic, served in a ridiculously huge balloon glass with chonky ice cubes

Edit: mods?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Plymouth gardens

Gin
Apple juice
Mint
Ice

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Nephzinho posted:

I'm still trying to get rid of extra gin from my wedding 2 years ago. I can't even give it away.

Put it in a mason jar and toss in a shitload of apple peels (like if you were making an apple pie or something) and wait a few weeks.
You'll get gin that's apple flavored without being sickly sweet and is a nifty color which is a solid start for cocktails.
You can also do the same thing with ghost peppers but for some reason that was never as popular with my friends.
:iiam:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have a bunch of eggplant in my fridge, anyone have any non-eggplant parm recipes I should try? I'm going to attempt baba ganoush, but I'd love any further suggestions, since we're basically going to be eating eggplant for the next week or so.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Moussaka is pretty tasty but kinda similar.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Red wine vinegar pickles. Can be with oil or not and whatever herbs you like. Worth making tons of.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TheCog posted:

I have a bunch of eggplant in my fridge, anyone have any non-eggplant parm recipes I should try? I'm going to attempt baba ganoush, but I'd love any further suggestions, since we're basically going to be eating eggplant for the next week or so.
Baingan bharta, di san xian, yu xiang qie zi, 红烧茄子, brinjal moju, any of a dozen Thai recipes - all good places to start.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TheCog posted:

Maqlooba. No idea if this recipe is good or not, I've never made it. But my family makes a badass version and it's delicious. The little presents of soft and tasty eggplant throughout the rice is always great when you find a pocket of the stuff.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Baingan bharta, di san xian, yu xiang qie zi, 红烧茄子, brinjal moju, any of a dozen Thai recipes - all good places to start.
Yeah, fish fragrant is my standard go-to for the oh-poo poo-the-garden-is-producing-a-shitload-of-eggplants months.

I've also been making a lot of dry pot with random bits of veg that have been coming out of the garden and/or the CSA box. Mostly for dealing with when I've got like one ripe eggplant, three ripe longbeans, a single carrot, two heads of broccoli, and like that. I like eggplant in dry pot because eggplants are basically little sauce sponges so they're flavourful as gently caress in dry pot.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Hey thanks for the paneer advice. I found some muslin wrap in a fabric shop. I live in Aus nearly an hour from the closest (small) town, hence my question about cheesecloth.

Upset I didn't wait and read the tip about using the whey to cook the rice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lilbeefer posted:

Upset I didn't wait and read the tip about using the whey to cook the rice.

Whey to go!

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I've got some (500g ish) venison salami that im a bit at a loss to know what to do with. I ate it with some cheese and biscuits and it was ok, texture was a bit grainy and it had a very persistent and gamey aftertaste. I tried frying it which improved it but it still wasnt fantastic and i feel i can be doing something a bit better with it. Does anyone have any recipe ideas for it?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheCog posted:

Turks know their aubergines and my favourite aubergine dish is called Hünkar beğendi. It's a rich lamb stew (although you could use other meat) on top of a creamy smoked aubergine cheese sauce and its loving delicious

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like moussaka, it's a Greek eggplant casserole

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pasta alla norma

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Polyakov posted:

I've got some (500g ish) venison salami that im a bit at a loss to know what to do with. I ate it with some cheese and biscuits and it was ok, texture was a bit grainy and it had a very persistent and gamey aftertaste. I tried frying it which improved it but it still wasnt fantastic and i feel i can be doing something a bit better with it. Does anyone have any recipe ideas for it?

I'd chop it and use it as the flavor component in a bean soup.

500g salami, chopped into ~1cm cubes
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 Tbs pre minced)
500 g of dried beans (pinto, great northern, navy, or whatever your favorite "white" or "brown" bean is)
1 L chicken broth or stock
~500g chopped spinach, kale, or other "green" (I prefer kale or turnip greens in something like this, because spinach seems to get really mushy, but some people love spinach)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper

1) Soak the beans overnight in water, then drain and rinse them well just before cooking.
2) In the bottom of your soup pot, put a little oil, and add in the sausage and onion. Fry that until the sausage browns a little and the onion turns transparent.
3) Add in the garlic and spices, and heat them until they're fragrant and well mixed into the sausage and onion.
4) Add in the broth/stock, beans, and the greens. Bring to a boil, then cut down to a simmer.
5) Simmer for at least one hour, checking the liquid level every 15 minutes and adding a little water to keep it consistent.
6) After 1 hour, pull a bean out with a spoon and taste it. If it's tender, then you're done. If not, give it 15 more minutes and check again.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I shall try this now, thanks.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Works best with little stuffable aubergines but I'm sure you can adapt this:

Serves 4

4 tablespoons sunflower oil

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

8 aubergines, cross-cut lengthways from bulbous top to 2cm short of the stem

100ml warm water

For the stuffing

120g fresh, grated coconut (or use desiccated)

60g coriander, finely chopped

2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste

1 teaspoons garam masala

1 – 2 teaspoons hot chili powder

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

3 tablespoons peanut - roasted and ground to a coarse powder

3 tablespoons coriander powder - roasted in a wok until a few shades darker

1/2 teaspoon sugar

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon (or 2 medium tomatoes chopped and pureed) 

Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing together well. It should feel sticky. Taste and adjust for seasoning, heat and spice, remembering the mixture has to permeate the inside of the aubergine. Pack this mixture into the slits in the aubergines, squeezing them tight to lock the mixture in.

Set a wok or large non-stick pan on a medium heat. Spoon in the mustard seeds and allow to sizzle and pop. Arrange the aubergines in the pan and sprinkle over any remaining stuffing. Cover and reduce the heat to a low medium. Cook for 10 minutes carefully turning to ensure each side is cooked and then pour in the water. Swirl the pan gently to the mix the water into any stuffing sticking to the base of the pan to crate a gravy. Continue to rotate and cook covered until soft.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bollock Monkey posted:

Works best with little stuffable aubergines but I'm sure you can adapt this:

Serves 4

4 tablespoons sunflower oil

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

8 aubergines, cross-cut lengthways from bulbous top to 2cm short of the stem

100ml warm water

For the stuffing

120g fresh, grated coconut (or use desiccated)

60g coriander, finely chopped

2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste

1 teaspoons garam masala

1 – 2 teaspoons hot chili powder

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

3 tablespoons peanut - roasted and ground to a coarse powder

3 tablespoons coriander powder - roasted in a wok until a few shades darker

1/2 teaspoon sugar

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon (or 2 medium tomatoes chopped and pureed) 

Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing together well. It should feel sticky. Taste and adjust for seasoning, heat and spice, remembering the mixture has to permeate the inside of the aubergine. Pack this mixture into the slits in the aubergines, squeezing them tight to lock the mixture in.

Set a wok or large non-stick pan on a medium heat. Spoon in the mustard seeds and allow to sizzle and pop. Arrange the aubergines in the pan and sprinkle over any remaining stuffing. Cover and reduce the heat to a low medium. Cook for 10 minutes carefully turning to ensure each side is cooked and then pour in the water. Swirl the pan gently to the mix the water into any stuffing sticking to the base of the pan to crate a gravy. Continue to rotate and cook covered until soft.

bharwan baingan is a loving bop, and this can be adapted to just use, like, cut up eggplants instead. Or you could quarter the big ones, maybe cut them into sixths depending on size. I've done it with Korean, Japanese, Thai, and Indian eggplants, but never Italian so this is just speculation

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nephzinho posted:

I'll send you my address.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a flavor that all tropical fruits share, so that if you eat one you’ve never had before you’ll still say “this tastes tropical”

Anyone know if that taste has an official label and is known to be a particular molecule or molecules

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edit: quick google revealed how basic my original question was, but I have another:

I am trying to clarify the Morgenthaler tonic, and it’s just not happening: coffee filters aren’t picking out enough of the bits, a homemade filter column got clogged up. I am currently trying to clarify using gelatin as fining agent. If that doesn’t work, is there another way of removing the tiny bits of powder without losing flavour?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 8, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Edit: quick google revealed how basic my original question was, but I have another:

I am trying to clarify the Morgenthaler tonic, and it’s just not happening: coffee filters aren’t picking out enough of the bits, a homemade filter column got clogged up. I am currently trying to clarify using gelatin as fining agent. If that doesn’t work, is there another way of removing the tiny bits of powder without losing flavour?

You can buy superbags/bag filters on amazon of varying microns, and they’re handy because you can massage the sack. I think 20 microns is generally considered the limit of human perception.

If money is no object, maybe a Spinzall.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a flavor that all tropical fruits share, so that if you eat one you’ve never had before you’ll still say “this tastes tropical”

Anyone know if that taste has an official label and is known to be a particular molecule or molecules

Ethyl butyrate is probably most of it. Ethyls and some methyls have that sort of floraly honeyed fruity aroma. Pairs well with phenethyl acetate

edit: oh yeah, allyl hexanoate too, that's a big one for pineappley specifically

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 8, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks. This came up because I had lulo ice cream with friends and we were arguing about whether it tasted like pineapple or passion fruit, but we all agreed it tasted tropical and I began wondering why tropical fruit all had this common thread

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Heading to the big Asian market in town. What's the goon recommend soy sauce? Mirin? Anything I should avoid?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

angor posted:

Heading to the big Asian market in town. What's the goon recommend soy sauce? Mirin? Anything I should avoid?

I'm fond of Pearl River Bridge for soy sauce (both light and dark).

Tortilla Press suggestions? Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

EVG posted:

I'm fond of Pearl River Bridge for soy sauce (both light and dark).

Tortilla Press suggestions? Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

Re: tortilla holder: It's maybe not pretty, but you can probably find a way to make it so. I have a Ranmaru stoneware straight-sided bowl that's wide enough to hold them, and a matching saucer I put on top. I fill it up with boiling water for a few minutes to get the bowl warm and it works nicely.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 8, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I had a Japanese friend complain that Pearl River Bridge tastes Chinese and that I should use kikkoman for Japanese stuff

THS
Sep 15, 2017

angor posted:

honestly for most applications kikkoman is fine. its the most commonly available not-bullshit affordable soy sauce imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

angor posted:

this is a really comprehensive guide but most of the time I just buy kimlan and kikkoman and use one or the other depending on needs https://www.malafood.com/en/the-complete-guide-to-soy-suaces