Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If you replace enough parts of your original classic is it still an original classic?

No, you just keep all the old parts and eventually you have TWO classics, at least one of which ran when parked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If you replace enough parts of your original classic is it still an original classic?

Hawk make parts so close to factory spec that your Stratos will still be deemed as factory even with a chassis replacement

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Having seen the welds on Lancias and Ferraris of that era, that's not necessarily a good thing.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Memento posted:

Cali plates. Nice.

Going back a couple pages but that’s probably a http://www.lefthandutes.com/ conversion. Still droolworthy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yes totally agree. They went from amazing to ok then totall rear end until the last generation that was cool again. I would totally drive a murdered one and looking for the pics I found they are insanely cheap for nice looking ones.

This ones not great condition-wise but the back is cool as poo poo. I kinda want a Trofeo one now.

I would actually like a late Trofeo in decent shape. They had the 3800, nice seats, and looked good. Pretty much the first FWD since the original Toros/Eldos that GM had that didn't look nose-heavy.

Adiabatic posted:

Yep agreed let's do that!

Oh, hey, it's Wheeljack!
Well, almost, since Wheeljack's model is a Stratos Turbo 5, of which only two were built. I just learned that from the Wikipedia article. They even had the right number on him for the one remaining actual Stratos Turbo 5!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, nostalgia is a helluva of a drug. The part many of us have a problem reconciling is of engines past. Tossing a 425 Wildcat in sounds great, but hey, in the salvage yard how many LS drivetrains are available for relative peanuts...

Now if some crazy bastard would twin turbo a 409 I would be impressed.

This is the reason I want to twin-turbo my Olds V8. An LSx would be easy, but not at all unique.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Takaoka Abbey Carrot. You can buy these new in Japan. Comes with a 4.69hp 50cc Honda 4cyl which gets 98mpg and is good for a top speed of 54kph. It has a turning radius of 2.5m, has 1 door, a bench seat, comes with a steering wheel or option of handlebars and a choice of 3 colours...

http://www.takeoka-m.co.jp/abbey.html

This thing looks hilarious to drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tatf9DY5yzk

They also offer an electric version called the Milieu R which has TWO doors and a reclining seat and the option of a heater/defroster. LUXURY!!

gently caress that music in the video in the ear.
I call bullshit on a 50cc 4-cylinder. The pistons would be thumb-sized.
500cc? No, then it wouldn't be single-digit HP. I think you mean 4-cycle.

It's Japan's Peel p50.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Handen posted:

Going back a couple pages but that’s probably a http://www.lefthandutes.com/ conversion. Still droolworthy.

I was wondering how they get around the 25 year old rule and initially thought they were chopping G8s or SSs like the Smyth ute kits. Turns out it is a LHD conversion of less than 25 year old cars with various other major components changed out. Their site says "you can't have a imported RHD that is 25 years young and keep RHD, the drive train has to be USA spec and so does the gas tank and head lights."

I'm still not sure how that gets around that rule since I was under the impression that the age rule was tied to the chassis and VIN. Or maybe I thought that because that's how one would identify the car and its date of manufacture. If replacing the drive train, gas tank, and head lights are all that's needed to get around that rule, I have a really bad idea involving a Levorg and a current-gen WRX. A Taiwan domestic market Levorg would be ideal since they're already LHD.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 6, 2019

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

ewiley posted:

The haybales being the only thing stopping you from Paul Walkering into the trees that are just inches from the track is just :discourse:

Very much enjoying the hay bales being at ATV but not rider height.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Edward IV posted:

I'm still not sure how that gets around that rule since I was under the impression that the age rule was tied to the chassis and VIN.

It doesn't. LHD / RHD has nothing to do with it. Some manufacturers have made RHD cars to sell here (primarily aimed at rural postal workers who bring their own car), and there's plenty of LHD cars that can't be imported until they're 25.

There's three ways they could be doing this. Least likely is they've actually been approved as an importer and retrofitter, and have sacrificed a few for crash testing, and the mods they do are required to federalize them before they hit 25. More likely would be blatantly violating the law somehow, perhaps importing the cars in chunks and reassembling them here.

Most likely is some ship of Theseus poo poo where they're applying US VINs to these cars.

Only the first one would actually be legal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We won't know until one gets seized and crushed! Who wants to be the first to find out?

Edit: they aren't on this list sooooooo

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/independent-commercial-importers-icis

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 6, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

I call bullshit on a 50cc 4-cylinder. The pistons would be thumb-sized.
500cc? No, then it wouldn't be single-digit HP. I think you mean 4-cycle.

It's Japan's Peel p50.

You are correct, my eyes were seeing what they wanted to see!

Speaking of tiny cylinders though, 1.5l V16 which we've all seen before but deserves reposting because OMG THE NOISES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umO3iqac_4c

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

boxen posted:

No, you just keep all the old parts and eventually you have TWO classics, at least one of which ran when parked.

Enzo Ferraris account spotted.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/1vXliFR.mp4

BURN THE WITCH

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

evobatman posted:

Enzo Ferraris account spotted.

What're you gonna do, make supercars at your tractor factory at me?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

<right-click>
<save>

Thanks!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

jamal posted:

Some time attack cars are on the way to austraila

Not in the top class, but the wings have gotten big.

https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/audi-r8-11-under-the-skin/?fbclid=IwAR35t_Jk7919r9qW_Cw_hICHIdQrRshoqbhO-e43oNKE6Rz8wflNgQYZ_qM

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I could have sworn Supermiata had a gigantic rear wing that they actually figured out was uselessly large. It was smaller than that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
This loops well

https://i.imgur.com/TKCd6wV.mp4

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

It doesn't. LHD / RHD has nothing to do with it. Some manufacturers have made RHD cars to sell here (primarily aimed at rural postal workers who bring their own car), and there's plenty of LHD cars that can't be imported until they're 25.

There's three ways they could be doing this. Least likely is they've actually been approved as an importer and retrofitter, and have sacrificed a few for crash testing, and the mods they do are required to federalize them before they hit 25. More likely would be blatantly violating the law somehow, perhaps importing the cars in chunks and reassembling them here.

Most likely is some ship of Theseus poo poo where they're applying US VINs to these cars.

It looks like the latter is in fact what they're doing but they're installing enough correct US components to make it kosher to register them as kit cars. Kosher enough that it seems they've been at this since at least 2012.
https://jalopnik.com/how-australias-coolest-little-truckets-are-showing-up-1557594577

It would explain how the same can't be done with, say, a R32 GTR since there is no car similar enough to it from which to source the necessary parts from that was released in the US as far as I am aware. It also means that frankensteining USDM WRX parts into a Levorg and registering that as a kit car is a possibility. That is assuming the WRX has the appropriate parts since I'm making a big assumption that they're technically similar enough. And it's still an expensive and labor intensive venture since the car has to be stripped down enough to no longer be considered a car when being shipped overseas. Certainly nothing I could pursue given my current work situation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I could have sworn Supermiata had a gigantic rear wing that they actually figured out was uselessly large. It was smaller than that.

Once you get the ability to take turn 1resonably close to flat flat (which is kinda not easy given the bumps so you do need to lift and settle the car - and the cars have been doing for a while) why on earth do you need more? Nothing else is even close to that speed coming off the straight. There's really only a couple of places where aero is going to really assist and those dont have anything close to the speed of turn 1. You're just turning the car into a block of flats aero-wise. I've seen cars with far FAR less wing doing great times without anything close to the power either.

I really think a lot of WTAC'ers are doing a more is better and going waaaaaaay too far

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://i.imgur.com/wxXGqcPr.jpg

Someone did a good job polishing this 599 I saw today

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been watching these dorks for I don't know how long now. Way back from when somebody posted one of their sillier videos on here and I thought they were dorks but I stuck around for a while and when they got to this car I was hooked. I love everything about this, how much time and love went into this crappy little shitbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJaFUymzbAw

otaku69
May 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

As I understand it the VIN is attached to the Firewall and all they have to do is pull it out and put one in from a RHD GTO G8 or Caprice,
Hoonigans did it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_htTUmGQW0

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'll probably make a whole thread at some point with a ton of more photos, story, etc but my dad's ~25 year restoration project is finally nearing completion. I was helping with some work yesterday and grabbed a few photos:

1966 Ford Mustang Fastback by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Gonna take it somewhere cool when he's done in ~1 month and do a magazine style photo shoot and maybe try to submit the story to Mustang Monthly or something. Plus make a pro photo book for him, :ssh: nobody tell him.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Those are gorgeous photos. Who's cutting onions in here?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That might just deserve a thread.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm not really a fan of the wheels, and it's only half a gigahorse, but still, holy poo poo do I want this

More pictures here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
25 years to restore a Mustang? Is your dad Frozenphil?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh, shots fired.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Still seems faster than Blinky.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That's awesome, my dad spent about ten years restoring a '67 convertible and I got to drive it to school shortly after on the last day of my senior year. I'll have to find some pics, great memories.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

StormDrain posted:

Those are gorgeous photos. Who's cutting onions in here?

Yeah, this. That shot of mounting the trunk emblem :3:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

Being a dad is generally a pretty full-time gig, you don't always get to do the things you want.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Please show us your restoration project. Or any long term car project

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You guys are irritable today!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wesleywillis posted:

Have you not met CT?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uh, so I've just found out about the EB110 prototype which is in almost* every way a much cooler looking car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEEqK2y3EFU

*these on the SS are sick:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 9, 2019

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah, being a parent of 3 kids, working full time (some of that running his own business), then going through a 2-3 year stretch of unemployment during the recession, and having surgery on a couple of discs in his neck put a little slow down on the process and available funds, but it's getting there. It also started pretty rough, lots of bondo everywhere, 4 different paint schemes over the factory color, a half added attempt to turn it into a cobra by some previous owner. He basically broke the whole thing down almost to the bare frame, rebuilt the engine, fixed all the body work, basically everything himself with the exception of the final paint job but only because the garage isn't big enough to build a paint booth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

lmao "today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

charliebravo77 posted:

Yeah, being a parent of 3 kids, working full time (some of that running his own business), then going through a 2-3 year stretch of unemployment during the recession, and having surgery on a couple of discs in his neck put a little slow down on the process and available funds, but it's getting there. It also started pretty rough, lots of bondo everywhere, 4 different paint schemes over the factory color, a half added attempt to turn it into a cobra by some previous owner. He basically broke the whole thing down almost to the bare frame, rebuilt the engine, fixed all the body work, basically everything himself with the exception of the final paint job but only because the garage isn't big enough to build a paint booth.

Looks dope as gently caress dude. My previous comment was a joke for those that didn't get it.
I've got poo poo thats like 1/100th as indepth and complicated as a full car restoration thats been on the back burner for years, with no foreseeable "get back to work on it" date.