Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cat Mattress posted:

I forgot the details but IIRC it was about using blind kobolds to get attacks of opportunity to get extra attacks at your enemy through the cleave feat.

KBK
KPK
KKK

Take a configuration like this. B: bad guy, K: kobold, P: player. With the kobolds wandering around, the player gets 7 extra cleave attacks on the bad guy.

That's basically the "sack of rats" exploit. Drop 20 rats at an enemy's feet, do a sweep, then cleave your foe 19 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

It's more of an implosion of concentrated nerdsmug, reading it again, but he starts getting testy around p26.

I think I'd be willing to count it as soon as he starts getting very angry about the idea that anyone could LIE to ELMINSTER!!!

quote:

Really? NPC bards and rogues may now talk PC wizards into abandoning magic at will, because Sense Motive ain't a class skill for wizards?

You do realize I would allow PCs to use Spellcraft as well in this usage.

Hell, it could be ruled that Bluff is the wrong skill for the PC to use -- this is a debate about the nature of magic, that's a contest of opposed Spellcraft or Knowledge (Arcana) rolls.

> Likewise, it seems odd to rule that "'cause Mystra tells him you're
> using magic" should serve as a counter to the lie "Mystra is lying to
> you." The point is to make him distrust his magic, and that's includes
> the magical read he's getting on you.

And to make him distrust his magic requires you to persuade him believe that everything he knows or has learned about magic is actually wrong. Which is not Bluff.

You are literally taking on a master mage in a debate about the nature of magic.

How Spellcraft supposedly don't relate to that is entirely beyond me.

Lying to someone isn't bluff and isn't opposed by sense motive, because gently caress you

quote:

Fine. The modron DM rules that a debate about the metaphysics of the universe -- which is exactly what the player was trying, no matter what you claim -- doesn't use the Bluff skill at all. On *either* side. It's a contest of Spellcraft or Knowledge (Arcana). The modron says so let it be written, so let it be done, no appeals.

*WHAM* (gavel comes down)

The modron DM then reminds people that if the precedent is set that the Bluff skill can be used to convince people to abandon their deities and their class abilities so easily, every PC class that does not have Sense Motive as a class skill is dead meat on the hoof vs. an NPC bard, which is exactly why he will not set the precedent, as the modron in him demands that the system not crash and fall apart due to a logical absurdity. :D

Hey, my contest, my rules. And I want creative solutions that would actually work in a Realms story, not mind-breaking rules hacks.

E: this dude is seriously unsufferable, he literally changes the rules every time someone finds a solution and claims the solution was cheating.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unlucky7 posted:

Did anyone actually do this without the DM flipping the table and leaving?
I've occasionally considered DMing a game in a kind of Erfworld/Log Horizon vein of "how would the culture react if suddenly every dumb rules hack was possible?" (Within reason. No Pun-Puns.)

But then I remember that would involve DMing 3.5e.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

If I was the DM, I might let it go for a while to see where the players were taking it. Then a skeleton's arm falls off and a brief skeleton apocalypse begins.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I straight up want to play a campaign where the players are menial workers in a gigantic necrocenter housing millions of skeletal computers. Fixing bugs sometimes requires a plus one flaming sword.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And people wonder why engineers and programmers are banned from my table.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't think so, but there was a delightful discussion in the murphy's rules thread about it.

I think my favorite was a proposed mid level adventure where the party is hired by a high level necromancer to 'debug' the skeleton computer.

This of course involved going inside, killing giant centepedes, avoiding firewalls etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there even enough peasants around for making such long lines? How many hours before a monster shows up and starts eating them and they start screaming and running and being on fire as usual and so on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who What Now posted:

You mean teleport?

Yeah but a peasant-based instant urban mass transit system don't have a daily spell limit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Elminster is an Epic Level magic user with stats in the Epic Level handbook, has a bunch of immunities plus a weird kamehameha wave motion attack, but not actually any epic spellcasting.

My plan was to teleport in with timestop (V's strategy) but with a whole bunch of Silmulcrums of nasty Epic Level Monsters such as Gibbering orbs (rays of dysjunction) and the Hechtoncheries (90 attacks a turn) which keeps its SLA to summon a copy of it itself; and the summoned copy would be the real thing as opposed to something with only 1/4 its HD and whatever other restrictions it had.

The DM tried to have Elminster shapechange into a animated gargatuan cube and then "fall" on the Hechtoncheries for lethal damage and this is where it broke down since I was pretty sure my monsters should be able to reflex save to dodge or otherwise able to catch it; also I didn't think it reasonable that an animated cube of that size existed as a non-unique creature and whether Elminster would know about it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
To kill Elminster just kick him in the nards. He has no nard based defenses.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Who What Now posted:

You fool, he has no nard based defenses because he has no nards.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fuego Fish posted:

The irony of this is hilarious when you remember that Elminster is a casanova womanizer kind of character that sleeps with everyone he comes across.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elminster is a werewolf?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The irony of this is hilarious when you remember that Elminster is a casanova womanizer kind of character that sleeps with everyone he comes across.

Multiple gods and multiple demigods

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
having no nards is a big boon for a guy sleeping with a bunch of people since theres no risk of kids

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Show me where in the rules it is written that Elminster has nards :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Elminster’s Gnarly Nards

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuego Fish posted:

poor fool fell for the old "Nards' of Vecna" trick

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Elminster is a werewolf?

The only way to solve this dilemma is to confirm if Elminster is a Werewolf or a Wolfman.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Question IRL posted:

The only way to solve this dilemma is to confirm if Elminster is a Werewolf or a Wolfman.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fuego Fish posted:

Show me where in the rules it is written that Elminster has nards :colbert:

Probably not published, but there is like a 0.001% chance that Ed Greenwood doesn't have a folder full of very explicit Chosen of Mystra orgy smut.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Probably not published, but there is like a 0.001% chance that Ed Greenwood doesn't have a folder full of very explicit Chosen of Mystra orgy smut.

"Then Elminster took his rod of lordly might and..."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wasn't Elminster turned into a female cleric at some point or other? I vaguely recall reading something to that effect somewhere a long-rear end time ago.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

my other favourite kill elminster has him polymorphed into a sandwich, eaten by a zombie then the zombie punches itself in the stomach in a portable hole for all eternity

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

W.T. Fits posted:

Wasn't Elminster turned into a female cleric at some point or other? I vaguely recall reading something to that effect somewhere a long-rear end time ago.

The first loving elminster book. Includes all that and the god loving too

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Caros posted:

I don't think so, but there was a delightful discussion in the murphy's rules thread about it.

I think my favorite was a proposed mid level adventure where the party is hired by a high level necromancer to 'debug' the skeleton computer.

This of course involved going inside, killing giant centepedes, avoiding firewalls etc.

I did laugh at some of the fan art I saw around the concept.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

my other favourite kill elminster has him polymorphed into a sandwich, eaten by a zombie then the zombie punches itself in the stomach in a portable hole for all eternity

Is the infinite punching itself in the stomach necessary?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

He uses silver fire to create a magical simulacrum of nards

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also Elminster has an actual for real genetic daughter (that was turned into an assassin to kill him but became his lackey because Ed Greenwood gonna Ed Greenwood) so he, at one point canonically, had nards. Nards that could be kicked.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you meet Elminster on the road, kick him in the nads. HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Patrick Spens posted:

Is the infinite punching itself in the stomach necessary?

He needs to be kept unconscious and not killed for his multiple bullshit Mary sue contingencies to not trigger, iirc

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"I attack the sandwich. Unarmed, to deal non-lethal damage."
"Well, okay, roll at -4."
"15, so with my BAB and Dex I get to 18 despite the penalty."
"You successfully punch the sandwhich. Roll damage.
"5."
"The sandwich falls unconscious."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This was the first hit him in the nads forever plan

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

NihilCredo posted:

Ed Greenwood is the Will Ferrel character from that SNL skit where Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch are weird hippy swingers in a hot tub hitting on strangers, talking about his "Lovahs".

He's written extensively about Sex and the Forgotten Realms in the early days of the internet, but most of it seems to have been lost. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is a very long description about how Lady Alustriel using space-bending magic to redistribute her pregnancy weight into another dimension so that she doesn't get fat, and I only remember that because is sparked a "Womb of Holding" meme.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Cat Mattress posted:

"I attack the sandwich. Unarmed, to deal non-lethal damage."
"Well, okay, roll at -4."
"15, so with my BAB and Dex I get to 18 despite the penalty."
"You successfully punch the sandwhich. Roll damage.
"5."
"The sandwich falls unconscious."

is there a gazebo involved?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ed Greenwood is the Will Ferrel character from that SNL skit where Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch are weird hippy swingers in a hot tub hitting on strangers, talking about his "Lovahs".

He's written extensively about Sex and the Forgotten Realms in the early days of the internet, but most of it seems to have been lost. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is a very long description about how Lady Alustriel using space-bending magic to redistribute her pregnancy weight into another dimension so that she doesn't get fat, and I only remember that because is sparked a "Womb of Holding" meme.
Okay, I'll bite: would the baby be an outsider?

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007
Couldn't you just lead him to a dead magic area and cut his throat, or does he have special bullshit to get around that cause he ate Mystra's rear end that one time?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds like he just has the mary sue and writers precious snowflake feats which makes him immune to losing or failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Sounds like he just has the mary sue and writers precious snowflake feats which makes him immune to losing or failing.

He 100% is and that's why killing him is so fun.